You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

I need iPod 101 class :-)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Lone Ranger
Posted 2009-09-14 12:39 PM (#43940)
Subject: I need iPod 101 class :-)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA

I have been following the threads about iPods, connectors, models, compatibility, etc, ever since this forum began, but haven't seen anything in one consolidated thread.  I'm back in the market for an iPod and I'ms consfuseded.  Can someone provide a no-BS quick overview of what I need to know about them?

I had a 30gb iPod classic.  It had a disc drive and locked up regularly, both on my Honda Shadow and on my Victory Vision.  It is now defunct - and then I pulled it apart and destroyed it piece by piece (it made me feel better   ).  It's surprising what a big pile of parts that little iPod became.

Questions:

There's a whole boatload of different types of iPods out there.  I understand I'll need a nano, which is a flash drive, instead of a classic, which is a disc drive, correct?

That being said, there's the whole 3G/4G thing as far as compatibility with the iPod cable I bought with my '08 Vision.  I have seen 8Gb 3G nanos, 8Gb 4G nanos, 16Gb 4G nanos, etc. The Gs and Gbs and ABCDEs are starting to all run together in my mind.

There are some that I don't have any knowledge as to what they are. Touch pads, etc.  I'm guessing that anything that is 20Gb or over is going to be a disc drive - especially the new 120GB one, since it costs about the same as a much smaller memory nano.

I would like to have as much memory as possible, but have something compatible with my bike and would really prefer not to have to spend a hundred cotton-picking dollars on a cable.

Can anyone put this information together in a consolidated post that makes sense?

Thanks much.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
joe schmoe
Posted 2009-09-14 1:29 PM (#43944 - in reply to #43940)
Subject: RE: I need iPod 101 class :-)

Tourer

East TN
Lone Ranger - 2009-09-14 1:39 PM

I have been following the threads about iPods, connectors, models, compatibility, etc, ever since this forum began, but haven't seen anything in one consolidated thread.  I'm back in the market for an iPod and I'ms consfuseded.  Can someone provide a no-BS quick overview of what I need to know about them?

I had a 30gb iPod classic.  It had a disc drive and locked up regularly, both on my Honda Shadow and on my Victory Vision.  It is now defunct - and then I pulled it apart and destroyed it piece by piece (it made me feel better   ).  It's surprising what a big pile of parts that little iPod became.

Questions:

There's a whole boatload of different types of iPods out there.  I understand I'll need a nano, which is a flash drive, instead of a classic, which is a disc drive, correct?

Yes you need an Ipod that has a FLASH drive

That being said, there's the whole 3G/4G thing as far as compatibility with the iPod cable I bought with my '08 Vision.  I have seen 8Gb 3G nanos, 8Gb 4G nanos, 16Gb 4G nanos, etc. The Gs and Gbs and ABCDEs are starting to all run together in my mind.

The Gb stands for giga byte...amount of flash drive storage space.....The 3G/4G stands for generation, which version it uses (firewire/USB charging and other minor changes)

There are some that I don't have any knowledge as to what they are. Touch pads, etc.  I'm guessing that anything that is 20Gb or over is going to be a disc drive - especially the new 120GB one, since it costs about the same as a much smaller memory nano.

I would like to have as much memory as possible, but have something compatible with my bike and would really prefer not to have to spend a hundred cotton-picking dollars on a cable.

I got a 8 Gigabyte 3rd Generation (other wise 8Gb 3G nano) off of Ebay for $81 about a month ago.

Can anyone put this information together in a consolidated post that makes sense?

Thanks much.

Unless you are a Superman of music a 8gb nano should hold all you music and then some!! Apple changed they format in the wya it charges the iPods when they went from 3G to the 4G iPods, that's the reason for all the confusion and fuss over which iPod to get!!!

Hope this helps!!

radioteacher
Posted 2009-09-14 4:56 PM (#43968 - in reply to #43940)
Subject: Re: I need iPod 101 class :-)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Here is the text from an iPod for the Vision guide.

You can download the guide from http://hamelmer.com/Docs/VictoryVision_iPodNotes.pdf

What can you do with the stock jack?

The stock 1/8 inch stereo jack, located in the glove box area to the left of the console, can be used with any small music player that does not have a hard drive.

Just plug in your music player into the stock jack and hit play on the music player then set the radio to the AUX source and you will hear the music. You cannot change tracks, playlists' or pause the player from the Vision control cubes. You would have to use the controls on the music player to change tracks, playlists' or to Pause the music.

You can still use the lower control cube on the left side to change the Volume and change the source for the radio from AM, FM, Weather and AUX plus you can also Mute the audio.

If you want to change tracks, playlists' or pause the music from the lower control cube on the left side, you will need two things, the iPod cable for the Vision and an iPod. Not just any iPod will work please read below.

What iPod should I get?

The Victory Vision is not an official iPod product authorized by Apple. Not every iPod is supported by the Victory Vision. For example, the iPod Shuffle does not have the proper connector on it to mate with Vision's optional iPod cable. You could use the iPod Shuffle with the stock 1/8 inch stereo jack cable as listed above, just like any other music player.

Victory does not recommend any iPod that has a hard drive in it. So the iPod Classic is out.

For more information see notes below titled, iPods with Hard Drives.

That leaves the iPod nano, the iPod Touch and the iPhone. All of these units can be controlled by the Visions control cubes and radio buttons. You can change tracks or pause the music while riding down the road from the lower control cube on the left side and change the playlists from the radio buttons 2 though 12 on the dash of the Vision.

You might be thinking, "Good, I will go out and buy a new iPod nano, iPod Touch or iPhone and be good to go!" not so fast. You can control the new iPods but not charge their internal battery. The cable from Victory for the iPod does not support charging on the latest Apple products. There is a fix for the charging issue but it takes another adapter from a third party, and about $30 more to make them work. For more information see notes below titled, Charging not supported problem.

In summary, you can buy the latest iPod nano, iPod Touch or iPhone from Apple but they will need a charging adapter so the Vision can charge them while going down the road.

You could buy an older iPod nano or iPod Touch. The Generation 1, 2 or 3 iPod nanos, the Generation 1 iTouch plus the first iPhones will charge and control using just the optional iPod cable from Victory. If you want an old one try searching Google.com for "refurbished iPods", try to buy one on eBay.com or pick one up from a local Pawn Shop. For a Win – Win solution, you can also buy your kid a new one and then use his old one.

General Information

Charging not supported problem

*** Important!! The cable from Victory (part number 2876116) for the iPod supports 12 volt Firewire charging only. Apple does not support 12 volt charging anymore on their current products. Apple changed the specification over three years ago to different pins for 5 volt and or 3.3 volt charging only.

Because of this, the new for 2009, Generation 4 iPod Nano's, Generation 2 iTouch's, and the new G3 iPhone will not charge using the Victory iPod cable. When you plug in one of these devices you will see the message "Charging is not supported with this accessory". Without a charging adapter that supplies either 5 volt or 3.3 volt power to the proper pins, your iPod will work fine on the Vision but will not charge. When the battery on the iPod will runs out of power, the iPod will stop playing music.

Some Vision owners have used the "iPhone and iPod Charge Converter" adapter with success. The link to get one is listed below. Thanks sjavera for the post to www.Vision-Riders.com !

http://www.cablejive.com/iphone_3g_charge_converter.html

The optional cable to control the iPod for the Victory Vision is listed on the web at PurePolaris.com as, "Victory Vision iPod® Power Cord & Console Link" – Victory Vision $49.99 - Victory Item #: 2876116

Now there is a new mythical cable that will be out soon that will not have this issue and will charge all iPod Nano's correctly. The problem is that no one has seen it yet.

Using the iPod from the Victory Vision Control Cubes

If you use an iPod with the iPod cable you can do the following from the control cubes:

You can read how to do the following actions from your Owner's Manual for the Vision.

Switch from the radio sources (AM FM and Weather Band) to the iPod. (This is the same if you have a non iPod mp3 player)
Pause the iPod
Go to the next track on the list
Go to the previous track on the list
Skip forward the next 10 songs on the list
Skip backward to the past songs on the list
Change the volume up and down (Of course you can do this with any mp3 player)

Radio buttons change playlists:
Radio button 1 plays every song on the iPod
Radio buttons 2 - 12 plays the first eleven playlists on the iPod (listed alphabetically)

*** Warning!! If you take an iPod that is synced to one library and plug it into a different computers
library it will erase the music on that iPod.

As far as I know the Victory Vision is the most expensive accessory for the iPod on two wheels.
VisionTex
Posted 2009-09-14 6:05 PM (#43975 - in reply to #43968)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Paul, all I gotta say is you put the "i" in the Pod!

Edited by VisionTex 2009-09-14 6:05 PM
radioteacher
Posted 2009-09-14 6:09 PM (#43976 - in reply to #43940)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
VisionTex,

Thanks, I was thinking the PDF was too hard to download so I posted the text.

When are you coming this way again? The weather is clearing up and it is much cooler!

Ride Safe
Lone Ranger
Posted 2009-09-14 9:47 PM (#43995 - in reply to #43940)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm more edjumacated now. That will help.
Candyman
Posted 2010-01-08 9:23 AM (#50958 - in reply to #43995)

Cruiser

West Knoxville TN
Radioteacher is the cable for the 10 visions the legendary cable that will charge all ipods? Or has it been transformed into a cable that wont support 1st and 2nd gen ipods?
VaParadox
Posted 2010-01-08 12:31 PM (#50972 - in reply to #43940)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
I just sent someone on here last week pictures of my vision with the correct IPOD with the correct adapter and the correct wireing harness from Victory. It cant be more simple then that. If you would like me to send you the pics as well, please let me know.
will be glad to do so.. now just dont ask me how to install the rear projection screen with the DVR thingamahoochie that comes with the remote that works up to 10 miles away..... VaParadox@aol.com
donetracey
Posted 2010-01-08 12:46 PM (#50977 - in reply to #43940)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Now Mac - don't be p.o.ed at me - your patient advice was appreciated. Just because you were'nt sure how the Blu-Ray LD could display movies on my GPS doesn't mean I wasn't appreciative of your efforts. Just keep trying, please!
radioteacher
Posted 2010-01-08 2:24 PM (#50979 - in reply to #43940)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
What I would like to see is a 5th Generation iPod Nano plugged into the "new iPod cable" (Part number 2877894) on a 2008 Vision.

Has anyone seen this working and chargin the iPod?

Edited by radioteacher 2010-01-08 2:24 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™