You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Exhaust tips-leak
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

jama
Posted 2008-01-21 11:32 PM (#4542)
Subject: Exhaust tips-leak

Cruiser

Arkansas
After Stage 1 Level 1, I have noticed exhaust leakage from around the seam between the tips and heat shield leaving black sooty marks. Anybody else seen this? Didn't really notice if there is a difference in the outlet hole of the new muff and the original tip hole. If this is so I guess there is a back pressure being built up and it finds its way out at the periphery.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
VisionTex
Posted 2008-01-22 10:08 AM (#4546 - in reply to #4542)
Subject: RE: Exhaust tips-leak

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I'm seeing pretty much the same, what it appears on mine is a slight bluing of the chrome. There is a flare on the tail piece that fits around the opening of the level 1. Right side has a little more leakage than left side. I'm going take off the tail piece and see if I can get some sealer around the muffler opening, it won't take much. I'll have to search the auto parts store for a sealer, maybe that stuff we used to wrap around mufflers.
Big Vic
Posted 2008-01-22 7:42 PM (#4558 - in reply to #4542)
Subject: Re: Exhaust tips-leak

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I'm seeing the same thing on mine. I had a similar problem on my TC around the bolt heads that held the heat sheilds on. I screwed them out and put a high temp silicone in the hole and re-assembled. After the silicone dried I removed the excess from around the bolt head. It worked great and never leaked again.
Visioneer
Posted 2008-02-15 7:47 AM (#5299 - in reply to #4542)

Cruiser

Ann Arbor, MI
I too am experiencing the leakage and mainly on the right hand side. I figured I'd wait until I put the Tailgunner tips on and see what happens. Just waiting for this 10" of snow to melt and a good rain in March/April to wash all the salt off the roads.

Come on Spring!
Big Vic
Posted 2008-02-16 2:45 PM (#5352 - in reply to #4542)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
I put my tailgunner tips on a few weeks ago. I used a high temp silicone gasket maker to seal the gap between the tips and heat shield. Put about a 1/4" bead of gasket maker on the inside of the heat shield (after you clean it) line up the tip flange with the heat shield and rotate it in torwards the bike. Fasten tip to pipe. If you make a mess the gasket maker is easy to remove wet or dry. Just do it before you run the bike. Worked great for me and you can not tell that it was done.
Byrdman
Posted 2008-03-10 11:17 PM (#6662 - in reply to #4542)

Cruiser

Richmond, Texas
I am having the same problem with my stage one pipes.

I may have to try that silicone mod.
Bearcat
Posted 2008-03-10 11:50 PM (#6665 - in reply to #4542)

Cruiser

Prescott Valley, AZ
After installing the Tail Gunner tips on the stock pipes I started seeing some black sooty deposits coming out of the new tips. As the stock tips are coated in black I never noticed this, but after putting on the new tips it is VERY noticable. I've been told that it may be from the enriched mixture when starting the bike and while this seems plausable it does nothing to clean up the mess I now have that is VERY noticable and makes it look like the bike is running WAY too rich. I'm going to try and find a shop with an exhaust gas analyzer and see if maybe this can be "dialed" out. The Tail Gunner tips are chrome and it looks like crap with all that black "stuff" coming out of them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™