You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Apehangers Mounted
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Long_Will
Posted 2008-01-26 10:53 AM (#4629)
Subject: Apehangers Mounted

Puddle Jumper

Quincy Massachusetts
I have updated my Vision by Installing a set of Apehangers. This might sound radical, but a 12" rise is not too extreme on the Vision, it is a big bike. Is there anyone out there making a set of custom handlebars for the Vision?

Edited by Long_Will 2008-01-26 10:58 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mike s
Posted 2008-01-26 11:32 AM (#4630 - in reply to #4629)
Subject: Re: Apehangers Mounted

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Ok, I've got to see a picture of this! Please post some...

No one is "officially" making custom Vision bars, yet, but rumor is Victory is working on a couple variations. I've also got SRVT working on a replacement set for mine with some additional pullback...
BUCKEYE
Posted 2008-01-31 12:28 AM (#4759 - in reply to #4629)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
This is something has to be posted! I just can't visualize this.
Long_Will
Posted 2008-01-31 8:57 AM (#4761 - in reply to #4629)

Puddle Jumper

Quincy Massachusetts
Clearance Problems...

The 12" Flanders Apes gave me the perfect riding position. I am 6'4" tall and this position was perfect for my arms and shoulders. I used the narrow center Apes and they fit and worked OK without the controls mounted.

I had solved the problem of the risers hitting the fork lock, by installing a set of HD shorty risers backwards. FYI, the Vision riser bolt holes are about 5" on center, so no standard HD riser will work, you need risers that are separate units.

Unfortunately, when the controls were installed, I had a problem where the brake and clutch levers made contact with the fairing.

There are (3) possible solutions for this:

1. Tilt the bars back - and be cramped as I am now by the stock handlebar.
2. Use higher bars - I would speculate that 16" Apes would work, but they would put my hands above the wind protection of the fairing.
3. Bend up some custom bars

So after trying 3 different 1" handlebars, I am pretty convinced that no stock 1" handlebar will work off the shelf on the Vision. Vision handlebars will most likely need to be custom made, and there is a lot of pullback required to avoid clearance issues.

I think the best bet for tall riders is to bend up some custom bars, slightly shorter in pullback, higher and wider than the stock victory handlebar. I would think that a 42" width might be a good target. So I am looking for someone with a mandrel bender...

Like I said before, if you know anyone who can make custom bars - please drop me a line with their contact info.

Regards
Long_Will

Edited by Long_Will 2008-01-31 9:19 AM
mike s
Posted 2008-01-31 10:25 AM (#4763 - in reply to #4629)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Will, get in touch with the guys at Santa Rosa Vee Twin. They will do custom bars. THey are working on a set for me. Question, though...No problem with having the risers installed under the center console panel? Looks like maybe you removed the "cover" from underneath??
Long_Will
Posted 2008-01-31 12:07 PM (#4764 - in reply to #4629)

Puddle Jumper

Quincy Massachusetts
Thanks Mike.

Yes, I removed all the covers to fit up a new set of bars. I think all the stock covers will fit back on, I left off the low cover for fitment purposes. I may have to slightly modify the lowest cover to clear the bars. I do have to re-locate the hazard and driving light switches and I will install a couple of small marine switches in the lower cover to provide this function. If I could find even a lower set of risers, I might be able to eliminate the lower cover mods. The risers I am using are 1.5" I haven't tried smaller risers due to the loss of clamping power.

RedRider
Posted 2008-01-31 2:26 PM (#4767 - in reply to #4629)

Visionary

Hope this works.
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/...
This page shows where to get your measurements. Once you have an idea they have tons of different style handlebars. I bet you will find a set to fit your needs. They will knurl and drill where you ask when you order them.

Let us know how you make out.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2008-02-01 12:43 AM (#4779 - in reply to #4629)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
absolutley let us see the final product! My initial thought was "oh, no.." after seeing the above pics I can now visualize and understand why a taller rider might want this. Comfort is on the rider, and it looks like your a man on a mission, and won't stop until you get it right. Hope to see the new bars and switch loctations. GOOD LUCK!
mike s
Posted 2008-02-01 10:17 AM (#4784 - in reply to #4629)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
When I first spoke with Paul at SRVT, he said he'd be using a metal plate as the mount/base of the bars and build everything out from there. That should prevent the need to remove any of the covers. He is also trying to make them 1.5" bars, but said he may step it down a bit to make fabrication a little easier. Either would be good for me. I'd just like to have round bars to make it easier mount stuff to. They will also be drilled for internal wiring.

He was working on the when I called a couple days ago, so they should hopefully be ready soon. I'm having them sent to me raw, so it'll take a little more time (for chrome or powdercoat) after I get them until I can get them installed and write up a review. I'm really hoping I get them before March so I can have them coated while I'm away on vacation.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™