You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Motorcycle Jack?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Carolina Tom
Posted 2008-02-03 4:27 PM (#4869)
Subject: Motorcycle Jack?

Cruiser

Lexington, North Carolina

Is it okay to jack the Vision by the bottom of the engine?  Motorcycle jacks typically lift by the frame rails but with engine being a structural part, there's no frame rails. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mudge
Posted 2008-02-03 5:40 PM (#4872 - in reply to #4869)
Subject: RE: Motorcycle Jack?

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
Mines up on a Sears aluminum cycle lift in the garage, run under the engine casing. No apparent problem. Make sure the lift rails clear the kickstand mount.
jama
Posted 2008-02-03 8:29 PM (#4875 - in reply to #4869)
Subject: Re: Motorcycle Jack?

Cruiser

Arkansas
How do you adjust for the fact that the engine bottom is not flat?
When I tried that the bike was kinda tippy from side to side on that
center seam that runs the center of the sump. Do you shim anything?
Mudge
Posted 2008-02-03 10:54 PM (#4877 - in reply to #4875)

Tourer

The Vision is actually tilted a bit towards the left on the lift, but is stable, with two padded safety straps over the bike and hooked to the lift. For my Kingpin lift, I cut out the center sections of the rubber pads on each lift arm, then cut the removed sections in half and glued one piece to the padding that was left in place on the outer end of each lift arm, which at the same time lowered the center and raised the ends. This adequately compensated for clearance for the center rib. I was in a bit of a hurry to get the Vision stowed for the winter and didn't do anything similar to the new lift I bought for it, but I no doubt will after I take it down in the spring. It has been up there since December 21st without problem, including my having removed the safety strap that was across the seat and removed the seat itself to send it in to have a driver's backrest prototyped on it. If I had the time available I probably would have found something to shim or thicken the outer 6 or 8 inches of each lift arm by 1/4 or 5/8 of an inch. On the Kingpin by the way, the lift contacts the bottom of the engine case as well, not the frame rails.

Edited by Mudge 2008-02-03 10:57 PM
okthenbye
Posted 2008-02-03 11:48 PM (#4879 - in reply to #4869)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
I would like to see a pic on the lift if possible. I've been considering some type of lift but havn't decided what to use yet. A jack or full length lift.
jama
Posted 2008-02-04 12:47 AM (#4887 - in reply to #4869)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Thanks Mudge, you saved me from sacrificing thousands of brain cells
to the project!
Mudge
Posted 2008-02-04 3:30 PM (#4898 - in reply to #4879)

Tourer

okthenbye; Posted some photos in the gallery. Are you trying to decide between a simple bike lift such as is shown, or a full size table lift where the bike sits on it's tires and is locked into a wheel chock at the front? The latter would be great for working on the bike, but I use the bike lifts primarily to keep them from sitting all winter on the tires which can cause flat spots and deterioration. If you leave the bike parked for a long time and do not have a lift, it's a good idea to move it a bit once a week or so it's not sitting on the same spot on the tires.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-02-04 6:07 PM (#4904 - in reply to #4898)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Mudge, I like your pictures, good detail. The jack I have is the Sears jack and it works ok, but have to get in the right location for the lift. I notice the dealer left the tie down "I"s in your front tip over points. I noticed them on one of the first Visions in the Houston area on a bike on the floor. My dealer never did give me the ones from my bike.
Mudge
Posted 2008-02-04 7:20 PM (#4905 - in reply to #4904)

Tourer

Yeah, they're still there. I've never trailered a bike, but then I've never been a trip where it would be neccessary. I think though that I'll leave 'em on relying on the old "Better to have them and not need them than need 'em and not have them." theory.
Carolina Tom
Posted 2008-02-04 9:31 PM (#4907 - in reply to #4869)

Cruiser

Lexington, North Carolina
Mudge, thanks for the info. Was one of those things that I figured would be okay, just wanted to make sure before I bought the jack. If nothing else, maybe it'll make cleaning the back wheel easier.
okthenbye
Posted 2008-02-04 9:47 PM (#4910 - in reply to #4869)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
Mudge, Thanks the pix are great. I am looking for a lift to work on the bike with. Maybe a full length. I have seen some portables by J&S that are quite sturdy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™