You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Filling Up
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

varyder
Posted 2008-02-04 10:28 AM (#4890)
Subject: Filling Up

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm trying to figure out the right way to fill up. I know the obvious aspect but when the fuel gets to bottom of the filler neck it just doesn't seem like it is full. I've run it down as low as it goes, LowFuel indicator is on and the needle is on the bottom, but it will not take 5 gals, the max has been on one occassion 4.7 gallons. My best range at this point has only been 190 miles but here lately the gas mileage stinks. I get about 35 miles to the gallon, and have to refuel at 165 miles with the needle on the bottom.

Does anyone have the insight on filling up the vision and making full use of at least 5 gallons?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mike s
Posted 2008-02-04 11:18 AM (#4891 - in reply to #4890)
Subject: Re: Filling Up

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Just keep adding fuel. It takes some time to get the air out of the tanks. I generally line up the tip of the fule nozzle with the bottom of the filler neck and let it stop itself. Then wait 4-5 seconds for it to settle. Then do it again. Sometimes rocking the bike a little helps. Don't worry too much if you go above the bottom of the filler neck a little. It'll settle down again and if not, that's what the vent line if for. I have yet to have any fuel vent out and I've packed as much as 5.8 gallons into her. I generally run up to 20 miles after the light comes one and I cannot get it to go back out with accelleration. I usually run about 225 miles between fillups.
varyder
Posted 2008-02-04 11:24 AM (#4893 - in reply to #4891)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks, I was beginning to think I was the only one that did all that shaking and so on to get it topped off. My opinion that it should not have built to do any shaking and I hope Victory will address that. I know design has a lot to do with it, but to expect to shake the bike to get the proper fuel capacity then that is an issue.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-02-04 12:55 PM (#4894 - in reply to #4893)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I normally fill up after the light comes on. Normal fill up has been 5.1 to 5.3 gallons depending on how long I ride with the light on. My mileage is around 40 - 41 mpg with the Stage 1 Level 1 remap in place. I do not have to shake the motorcycle to add this amount of fuel, I don't understand why you have to shake the bike. Are you filling the bike while your sitting on it? I'm pretty sure it is designed to vent properly when it is on the side stand. This was noted I believe in one of the very early magazine reports.
DesertJim
Posted 2008-02-04 12:59 PM (#4895 - in reply to #4890)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Remember this is a dual tank, it takes a little time for the crossover to the left tank when it looks like it is full. I always fill mine right up to the middle of the neck and then I know it has filled the left side. When full, like Mike S, I'm showing a range of 230-240 miles.
varyder
Posted 2008-02-04 2:00 PM (#4896 - in reply to #4895)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks for all the replies. I try to refrain from any shaking, but I find that I'm only getting about 160 miles out of my fill ups. I would fill to the bottom of the neck and sometimes it would come into the neck and I would say "ahh, full" and then it would bubble and be below the neck. I'm pumping real slow and I would never sit on any bike while fueling. I've run the bike down with the light on and the needle in the red area and the LowFuel indicator lite and the most has been 4.7 gallons. I would almost think there is a blockage of some sort in the cross-over, I'll have the care center check it out since they are around the corner. The frustrating thing is the GL1200 had a 5.7 gallon tank and I would run it to 160 miles before I had to fill-up and I'm doing exactly the same same with the ViVi with the bigger tank.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-02-04 6:02 PM (#4903 - in reply to #4890)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Just a reminder that the Vision is designed to be filled while resting on its kickstand. You won't be able to fill it to the top if the bike is held/straddled up straight. But you probably knew that already.
varyder
Posted 2008-02-04 10:04 PM (#4911 - in reply to #4903)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Yes, the bike is the side stand, I am standing beside it on the right side and filling slowly. It just seems that it's not taking in all that it should on fill up. I'm not getting the range other speak of that leads me to believe that something is not as it should be or I'm not doing something right for such simple task.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2008-02-06 9:17 PM (#4969 - in reply to #4890)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
Varyder, I was told by the dealer that it takes time for the fuel to get to the left tank. Take the fueling slowly. Just lean her on the kick stand, and slowly put fuel in. I've manage to get almost 6 gallons in her once. It just takes time. I fuel while on the kick stand (as slow as the pump handle will let me) when I get to the shut off point, I stand her upright, give 5 seconds, lean her back on the stand and start again. It's a little game me and the tank play, she fills to very top of the fuel noozle, I chuckle, remove the hose and wait a few seconds. Blurp! Down she goes...it's like an air bubble in the way. When I'm close to 5.5 glns, I quit playing. When I'm in a rush, and have 4 in her and turn off the pump, Blurp...down she goes and I chuckle because she won that fueling battle.
LIVV
Posted 2008-02-06 9:26 PM (#4971 - in reply to #4890)

Nalcrest, FL United States
Mine is never full no matter how slow I put the fuel in. I leave the station and a minute later the guage reads less than full! before I know it I am back to only half a tank! I dont want to trust the guage by running it down to the empty mark to see if its the guage is off or the tank is not filling up correctly! I always fill it on the stand.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-02-06 10:12 PM (#4975 - in reply to #4890)

Visionary

So Cal
Got back on the Vision after a week away (started right up after sitting all week). Noticed more fuel gage fluctuation now than I did before. Mainly due to the fact that Im more comfortable and familiar with it and Ive been hammering it a little harder than I was before. Throwing it around corners and splitting lanes. It still seems to be accurate. Some stations with more pump pressure seem to take more patience to fillup. The slower pumps take less time, but I still have to wait for the tanks to settle. I think the gage has a buffer to keep fluctuation to a minimum.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-02-07 9:28 AM (#5012 - in reply to #4890)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
I fill my Vis on the stand and go SLOWLY waiting for the "burbs" to stop. Usually takes 4.8 to 5.3 gals to fill her & the "range" indicator usually says around 228 miles to empty. BTW I use the "mid" grade 89 octane rating & have had no problems at all. Great acceleration and no "pings" even under the hardest throttle usage. My riding buddies say I ride her like I think I'm on a "sportbike". They're just not used to a touring bike that has GREAT acceleration. (They're on HD's & Goldwings).
varyder
Posted 2008-02-09 5:58 AM (#5109 - in reply to #4890)
Subject: RE: Filling Up

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Okay, I did the shake and jiggle method after running down in the red for awhile and got 5.288 gallons into 'er. I probably could have gotten more, I just didn't want to really know I was that low. Personnally, I think this is a design issue because this can cause overflow problems at the pump to expect a rider to do this. By not doing the jiggle deal I probably was missing out on a half gallon or more, but with some pumps you cannot do the trickle affect like the one I got the other day. This is another issue that I would like to address with Victory, to make their premere bike even better.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-02-09 7:49 AM (#5113 - in reply to #5012)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Last fillup was 4.8 gals & miles to empty went to 258 miles.
visionrider
Posted 2008-02-09 12:05 PM (#5124 - in reply to #4890)

Puddle Jumper

I have the same issue and most of time in to big of a hurry to go with the shake theory. So i put in as much as I can but it usually says little over 3/4 on fuel gauge. My Goldwing friends think I am getting bad MPG but remind them only put little over 4 gallons in it. When on long trip will take the time to get every drop in but around town not going to worry about it. Plus get to talk about the bike every time I fill up anyway.
varyder
Posted 2008-02-12 1:18 PM (#5204 - in reply to #5124)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
My saga's continue. After I did the shake rattle and roll to fill up the last time, my gas mileage stunk, so I only got 170 miles out of 5.5 gals. I'm not sure what did it unless I idled to long or rode too hard on the interstate or something, but that was the worst mileage so far. Oh, yeah, I did use mid-grade this time instead of premium, and of course there's the ethonol thing too!

I was just amazed though that I got this down to just a half gallon left and not sputtering....too close for comfort. This is why the Vision should come with a in-ride refueling option.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-02-12 9:12 PM (#5220 - in reply to #5204)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Why don't you take it back to the shop and ask them to help.
varyder
Posted 2008-02-12 9:56 PM (#5222 - in reply to #5220)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I did, they're going to check it out again to see what gives. I have a hard time dropping it off.
mike s
Posted 2008-02-12 10:29 PM (#5224 - in reply to #5204)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Was that 170 miles before you put 5.5 gallons in? If so, are you sure you had it completely filled before? The absolute worse mileage I've seen thus far was about 38 mpg. Even that would get me about 210 miles on a tank...

Shaking the bike while fueling isn;t necessary, but I like to think it get the trapped air moving faster. You really just need to fill it up slowly and when you think it's full, give it a moment to settle. When it starts to climb the filler neck and doesn't drop back down, you'll know you're full.
devilboy
Posted 2008-02-13 12:10 AM (#5228 - in reply to #4890)

Cruiser

Central Florida
+1.. I always wait until it looks full and then wait and it goes down and battle begins... I take my time and pump as slow as possible and watch for level and then add more til it wont take any more..
varyder
Posted 2008-02-13 5:18 AM (#5229 - in reply to #5224)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Yes, that was 170 from a full fill up to a full fill up. That's what blew my mind because I had hoped to get at least 200 out of it. I'd like to think that it because I had a lot of around town driving, used the mid-grade this time instead of the premium and it was cold out. But that is just about everyday for me, so this was different, with the exception of the mid-grade. I figured it came out to about 30 miles to the gallon. I has not been unusual for me to get only 35mpg, but 30, not good. The care center will take a look at it later in the week when I can get it by. I should have left it last light since it is raining all day today. Oh, well.

mike s - 2008-02-12 10:29 PM

Was that 170 miles before you put 5.5 gallons in? If so, are you sure you had it completely filled before? The absolute worse mileage I've seen thus far was about 38 mpg. Even that would get me about 210 miles on a tank...

Shaking the bike while fueling isn;t necessary, but I like to think it get the trapped air moving faster. You really just need to fill it up slowly and when you think it's full, give it a moment to settle. When it starts to climb the filler neck and doesn't drop back down, you'll know you're full.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-02-13 7:15 AM (#5231 - in reply to #5229)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
You could have just gotten a bad tank of gas. It may have had alot of water in it which would account for the poor fuel mileage. You might try adding a bottle of drygas to your tank.
varyder
Posted 2008-02-13 7:50 AM (#5232 - in reply to #5231)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks Jam. Most of the gas in this area has ethanol in it so I consider most of it bad gas.

JAM - 2008-02-13 7:15 AM

You could have just gotten a bad tank of gas. It may have had alot of water in it which would account for the poor fuel mileage. You might try adding a bottle of drygas to your tank.
mike s
Posted 2008-02-13 7:58 AM (#5234 - in reply to #4890)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
Hopefully, the techs will be able to figure it out for ya. 30mpg is terrible. Even with Ethanol, that's just bad. I'm sure it does account for some loss of mileage, but a 10mpg drop is a bit much.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™