You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

General Consensus- Ipod or other Mp3 ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

wjoel
Posted 2010-01-19 6:42 PM (#51631)
Subject: General Consensus- Ipod or other Mp3 ?

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Having Sirius Satellite on my Vision, I'm looking to expand my listening pleasure.I believe that the Vision is compatibile with the Ipod, a generic Mp3 could not be controlled by the Visions audio, right ?How about downloading off of the internet, are there more options, more downloadable songs with the Ipod ? As far as hooking up the device into the Visions audio, the Ipod cable is needed, but if I used a generic Mp3, I could use the Aux. input cable supplied in the glove box, correct ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Miles
Posted 2010-01-19 7:13 PM (#51633 - in reply to #51631)
Subject: RE: General Consensus- Ipod or other Mp3 ?

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States

Q. A generic Mp3 could not be controlled by the Visions audio, right ?
A. Only Volume if you hook it up to the AUX.

Q. How about downloading off of the internet, are there more options, more down-loadable songs with the Ipod ?
A.  Actually there are more download/format options with other units, but then again, the other formats can be converted to iPod so this is really a non-issue.

Q. As far as hooking up the device into the Visions audio, the Ipod cable is needed, but if I used a generic Mp3, I could use the Aux. input cable supplied in the glove box, correct ?
A. Yes, but as noted above, you'll loose the jog and shuttle control.

Opinion:  While there are many units out there that many feel have more options, more features, easier to use, more formats etc...  Unless you are really using those features, it's just marketing.  On the otherhand, a decent iPod will last and do everything you need, but more importantly, just go into any Mall or even most drug stores and you will find accessories for your iPod to use anywhere and everywhere you could possibly desire.  There's even software to share lists and tunes with other iPods, and to convert just about any format to work on your iPod. 

trailbarge
Posted 2010-01-27 12:09 PM (#52158 - in reply to #51631)
Subject: Re: General Consensus- Ipod or other Mp3 ?

Tourer

Goldsboro, NC
I can tell you that I am a freedom kind of guy. I run Linux instead of windows... and I detest the proprietary nature of Ipod.

I can also tell you that a generic mp3 is nice until you want to do something with it. I keep mine in the tank compartment to protect it from rain and from falling. In order to skip a song, I have to open the door and fiddle with the buttons. If I am wearing gloves, this can be a PITA as I keep hitting the wrong button. The option is to remove a glove, with its own dangers. I can also never see the display because the wire is so damn short. I don't dare open the door in the rain to start/stop/skip for fear that it will die on me. Finally, the process of skipping a song is so involved, traffic and conditions might prevent me from doing the delicate fumbling needed to accomplish anything. I have some songs that are good to listen to on the road, but are inappropriate for pulling up to the local bike bar.

In short, I hate to recommend the Ipod.... but I do. Just make sure you have the correct cord for your generation of Ipod.
varyder
Posted 2010-01-27 1:35 PM (#52163 - in reply to #51631)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'd go with the iPod because of the touch. I need to upgrade after two years as it is starting to crap out.
DesertJim
Posted 2010-01-27 2:49 PM (#52167 - in reply to #51631)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
I don't use either I-Pod or Mp-3 anymore, to much hassel to much stuff. I tried the MP-3 hookup and had to much trouble. I have a Zumo 550 that accepts an SD card that I can load about 150 tunes on, actually have two so I can change it up. With XM, radio, and SD that's as much as I need.
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-01-27 6:13 PM (#52178 - in reply to #51631)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I bought the apple iPod touch for my bike. It's a nice alternative to the crappy FM reception but I'd rather have Satellite radio. I like to not worry about loading music and all the hassle. I don't even really use my iPod on the bike anymore because of all the quarks it causes. I usually just leave the radio off and listen to the exhaust unless I'm on a really long trip. I'm thinking about breaking down and buying the revised interface cable that works with my newer generation iPod. I might install a Sirius dock instead. But like I was saying, I don't get much use out of the iPod I bought for the bike. I still use it in airports and such on my way to work/home so it wasn't a total waste.
mkultra
Posted 2010-01-27 8:19 PM (#52191 - in reply to #51631)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
I carry 3 different Mp3's, 1gig apiece, I only download the music I want, 1 for classic Rock, 1 for old hillybilly stuff, and one for blues...all set to shuffle, all run on aaa batteries, and I have never had a problem. If one battery dies, i switch to another mp3... so no worries...I too march to the beat of my own drum and usually end up doing things different than the masses so...which ever you think you need go for it.

mike
Landlord
Posted 2010-01-28 3:49 PM (#52236 - in reply to #51631)

New user

I use an Ipod touch. It interfaces with the controls of the audio system. If you use and Ipod with a hard drive in it, beware. The vibrations from the bike will destroy the hard drive.
nailer
Posted 2010-01-28 4:51 PM (#52238 - in reply to #51631)
Subject: RE: General Consensus- Ipod or other Mp3 ?

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
I really like the 2nd gen Ipod nano I use on my Vision. I had a XM radio on my Vegas and found that I was frequently taking my eyes off the road to change stations when a song I didn't like was playing. Sold the XM. It is sweet to have all your favorite songs loaded on an Ipod on shuffle and control them through the audio control on the bars.
Bubba
Posted 2010-01-29 6:17 AM (#52267 - in reply to #51631)

Cruiser

MP3!!!
jeffmack
Posted 2010-01-29 7:49 AM (#52273 - in reply to #51631)

Iron Butt

zumo 550, all sound in stereo thru a 3.5 mm jack/male ipod cable.....hooks into the bikes ipod cable.... All Voice commands, XM, MP3 all in stereo thru the bike...no splicing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™