You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tire Load Rating
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

ScoreBo
Posted 2010-02-28 8:12 PM (#54109)
Subject: Tire Load Rating

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
So my Dunlops got replaced a week ago. I decided to try the Bridgestone Exedra G704 and G709 as I hate the howl from the E3s after they wear down a bit. These tires have a rear load rating of 74 (827 lbs) vs. the E3s 80 (992 lbs). Since the bike is 865lbs wet, I am 6'4" 240lbs and the woman is like 130 lbs, and I probably have 40 lbs of stuff in the bike at any given time. I am wondering if I am safe. I ride 2-up most of the time too.

I know a few folks are running a load rated tire of 74 with the Stones and Avons (Teach), I would be curious to know everyone's thoughts. The Exedras are supposedly factory equipment on the 1800GL GoldWing. But every Wing owner I have talked to say their Wing has the E3s on them and came with them from the factory. Looking at tires for a while, the E3s are the ONLY tire I can find in our size that has a load rating of 80. Metzler makes one greater than 80, but not in our rear 180/60/16.

Does ANYONE know what our weight distribution is?

Thoughts on a 74 load rating?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wjoel
Posted 2010-02-28 9:34 PM (#54113 - in reply to #54109)
Subject: RE: Tire Load Rating

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
I'm not sure on an answer to your question, but reading what you are saying about the howling sound coming from the factory Dunlop tires, I couldn't figure out where that sound was coming from.I still have the originals on with about 7500 mi.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-03-01 6:09 AM (#54120 - in reply to #54109)
Subject: Re: Tire Load Rating

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
LOAD RATING:

The importance of the load rating on a tire can not be overstressed. A tire that is overloaded beyond it's design limit will run hot, wear fast and may quite literally blow out on you. The load the tire is designed to bear also affects it's shape and construction -- if you think about it, a GoldWing tire is not going to look like a GSXR600 tire. The load rating the manufacturer sets as the spec for your bike takes into account extra loading for weight-transfer (loading up the front wheel during braking, loading up the back wheel under acceleration), so you can't simply go by the curb weight of the bike. Always check the specs for your bike before ordering tires, and make sure the tires meet or exceed the load rating requirements for that wheel on that particular bike. For example, if the load requirement for the front wheel is "58" (520 lbs max), then you can fit a 59 or 60 weight-rated tire in the right size on there with no issue, but should never fit a 57 or below!

Load-Carrying Capabilities
Tires come with different load-carrying capacities. Read your owner's manual. It will list accessory restrictions and a motorcycle's load capacity. The maximum load figures are also molded on the tire sidewall. Before a trip, determine the total weight of luggage, equipment, and rider(s) to be added to the motorcycle. Be careful not to under-inflate tires which will reduce the bike's load-carrying capability.

Trailers can also cause extreme tire stresses and overloads that can cause irreversible damage and result in sudden tire failure and accidents. Most tire manufacturers do not recommend the use of trailers and will not warrant tires used on bikes fitted with trailers

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Motorcycle-Tire-School.aspx#mot...
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-03-01 6:25 AM (#54121 - in reply to #54109)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Arkainzeye, I read those posts first and is why I posted. The million dollar question is what is our weight distribution? Are we at 60% / front 40% rear? I am going to talk to the Bridgestone rep in about an hour at Daytona and see what they say.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-03-01 8:32 AM (#54125 - in reply to #54109)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
is there anything about our weight distribution in our Owners booklet? The type of tire you choosen, is it commonly used on other bikes as OEM, or at least that rating of tire... it might give you some sort of idea as to what kind of weight that tire was designed for it is on a smaller bike? (maybe?)
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-03-01 8:20 PM (#54159 - in reply to #54109)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
I talked to the Bridgestone guys at Daytona today. They say the tire was specifically designed for the GL1800. The combined weight rating is 1427 lbs for the Exedras. I have run them now over 400 miles in 2 days with no issues and doubt I will have any. It is just my anal nature kicking in with the lower rear rating. Looks like if we are concerned about it, we are stuck with the E3 or running darkside.

Per the owners manual the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = 1414 lbs. Exedras are capable of 1427 lbs combined (600 front and 827 rear).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™