You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

is it me
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

roadgrit
Posted 2010-03-30 5:21 PM (#56096)
Subject: is it me

Puddle Jumper

I rode home today on the bike and man my left anke got so hot......I noticed the engine is very hot, almost to hot to sit next to.....is this normal..is this a hot engiine?

next question...how do you check to see if the oil cooler is workiing?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nepper
Posted 2010-03-30 6:59 PM (#56103 - in reply to #56096)
Subject: Re: is it me

Cruiser

First test is, does your left ankle get hot? LOL Sorry, good question but I just couldn't resist.

Seriously, I ride with leather boots on and I've never noticed a heat problem that serious. Maybe my boots insulate me from the heat.
vikrider
Posted 2010-03-30 8:16 PM (#56115 - in reply to #56096)
Subject: RE: is it me

Puddle Jumper

Cabot Arkansas
I've never noticed excess heat off the pipes. I just got my Vision two weeks ago and have put a thousand miles on it.
IndyVision
Posted 2010-03-30 8:17 PM (#56116 - in reply to #56096)

Tourer

Victory makes a dip stick that reads the oil temp. It looks good on the bike. You may think about getting one of those. I like the ability to check the oil temp at any given moment. I've had a couple compliments in regards to the dip sticks appearance.
roadgrit
Posted 2010-03-30 8:19 PM (#56118 - in reply to #56096)

Puddle Jumper

I have had many bikes and some get really hot but not the V twins..they stay cool most of the time...I had boots on the first time and so I can not tell with my tennis shoes on if this is normal....the engine was extremly hot...
radioteacher
Posted 2010-03-30 8:37 PM (#56124 - in reply to #56096)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I was in stop and go traffic yesterday in 85' weather, bright sun. There was no mistaking that I was sitting on motorized vehicle but I was sweating because I was in the sun. In the shade of a tree I felt much better. My engine temp on the dip stick read just below 250'.

I was wearing work shoes and did not feel that it was too hot but I was not going to touch the cylinder with a bare finger.

Ride Safe

Edited by radioteacher 2010-03-30 8:38 PM
roadgrit
Posted 2010-03-30 8:41 PM (#56125 - in reply to #56124)

Puddle Jumper

well thanks guys...but I think its becuase I wear tennis shoes and my pants pull up a bit with only socks between me and the beasty engine heat...here is a litttle feed back from a mag:

" Big engine = big power = heat, that?s all there is to it, though it?s less noticeable stopped at idle as your legs are well away from it. As with any fully faired motorcycle various mechanical sounds are reflected back to the rider, but two of these early production Vision models that I rode"
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-03-30 8:43 PM (#56126 - in reply to #56096)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
A lot of folks run the lower wind deflectors to help cool the engine a bit. Something to think about.
mkultra
Posted 2010-03-31 5:09 AM (#56159 - in reply to #56096)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
And on the note that your left foot is getting hot I would say yes your oil cooler is working. The coolers just in front of your left foot so air passing thru it is more than likely what your feeling. I know my Vision runs way cooler than my 07 ultra did. I ride with the uppers open and it seems to divert more air down to the feet. Also highway pegs give you the option to move your feet out of the furnace so to speak.

mike
Bubba
Posted 2010-03-31 6:09 AM (#56162 - in reply to #56126)

Cruiser

ScoreBo - 2010-03-30 7:43 PM

A lot of folks run the lower wind deflectors to help cool the engine a bit. Something to think about.

Must have when hot!!
glighto11
Posted 2010-03-31 10:01 AM (#56175 - in reply to #56096)

Iron Butt

Central New York

Just to throw it out there----. If you take a sanctioned motorcycle safety coarse they require boots as part of the normal required motorcycle gear. Wouldn't even let you on the coarse with tennis shoes.

Before I took the coarse I thought nothing of taking a ride with shorts, t-shirt, sneakers, and a helmet. After taking the coarse my minimum is long jeans, boots, long sleeve shirt, gloves, and helmet. Any less and I feel naked.

I picked up a pair of those denim chaps which work great for those days when you want shorts for work. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™