You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Garmin GPS with XM NavTraffic Option...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-02-24 10:26 AM (#5703)
Subject: Garmin GPS with XM NavTraffic Option...

Cruiser

Florida
On the Garmin GPS units that have the XM radio feature, a separate (read: HUGE) GPS antenna can be added to offer not only XM radio but the NavTraffic feature that is supposed to provide real-time traffic information as well as allow the ability to automatically re-route around the traffic backup.

Since I have the Victory XM radio and the Garmin with XM, I activated the XM music on the built-in and only the NavTraffic feature on the Garmin. (The XM people aren't very knowledgeable and got hung up on the fact that I have two XM tuners on a bike! It took a lot of explaining to them to state to only give me the XM NavTraffic on the Garmin GPS as I already have the music on the built in tuner).

Last night, when entering the Turnpike ramp, there (evidently) was an accident miles ahead of me that had me in stop and go traffic for five miles...driving less than 5mph. Allow me to note that I did have a route entered on the GPS and I stayed with the route. Although I added the NavTraffic service, it did NOT warn me of this as promised by XM and did NOT automatically re-route me as promised. When I arrived home that night, I learned there WAS an accident and evidently I entered the Turnpike towards the end of the tie-up. It seems that I should have been notified of this by the Garmin/XM NavTraffic feature...but was not.

Also, although my NavTraffic is activated, it appears I have to go to a separate screen to view the tie-ups. It's very confusing and as any bike rider with GPS can attest, it's not wise to attempt to navigate the touch screen while driving). The instruction manual is not well written and while it addresses the additional features, it does so very poorly.

Does anyone have any personal experience with the NavTraffic feature? Does it work for you? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

PBR (aka Andy)

http://www.gadgetguru.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™