You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Smells of the road!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

radioteacher
Posted 2010-04-01 9:41 PM (#56375)
Subject: Smells of the road!

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
This morning on the way to work I was running a little faster then the sparse traffic on the roads at 8:30 AM..I was running late after doing some "on call" work from home.

Since it is springtime the flowers are out in force. It has been a wet spring and it is a nice departure since last years heat and drought. One of my favorite native plants is blooming right now the "Mountain Laurel" and it has the scent of a Grape NEHI. Man, does it get better than this?

As I approach two cars, one in each lane, I smelled a brake system getting really toasty. First I check the Vision, front and back brakes OK, rolls smooth with clutch in. OK it is not me.

I get behind the other car after changing lanes and the burning brakes go away. This car signals a right turn and I change lanes to the left. The burning brakes return.

Now, I pull up beside the car and with my best Grandfatherly look I make small circles with my hand in the universal "Roll down the window" signal. The thirty something gal looked puzzled until I said "Your Parking Brake Is On". She was a bit flustered for a moment. Then she understood the issue and released the brake. I waved and rode on into the sunrise.

All in the days work for "Vision Man" and his ultra classic ability to recognize the scent of a burning brake pad.

Then I turned the corner and passed the waste transfer station..........
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mkultra
Posted 2010-04-02 6:13 AM (#56390 - in reply to #56375)
Subject: Re: Smells of the road!

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
The road smells are part of why I ride. Ya miss so much in a car or truck. And different smells, different times of year. And quite often i get the oil smell or the burning brake smell, sometimes the electrical burning smell and for a moment think, oh man is it my Vision, then reality sets back in and I realize.....they are olefactory halucinations, flashbacks, from my Harley years....lol

mike
paulhu
Posted 2010-04-02 6:57 AM (#56393 - in reply to #56375)

Cruiser

Durango, Colorado
One of my favorite olfactory experiences here (S.W. Colorado) are the Russian Olive trees in summer. Euphoric!
pollolittle
Posted 2010-04-02 8:05 AM (#56401 - in reply to #56375)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I can always smell fresh cut grass or wild onions out here, then I sneeze! I love spring time.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-02 8:12 AM (#56403 - in reply to #56375)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
hamburger or steaks on the grill & clothes in the dryer...
Kornbread
Posted 2010-04-02 8:15 AM (#56404 - in reply to #56375)

Cruiser

Okeefenokee Swamp
I love the smell of the pine trees,fresh cut hay, and when riding in Florida, the smell of the blossoms on the orange trees. just being out on the bike smelling the wind and whatever area i am in.
As the ole saying goes,"only a biker knows why a dog likes to hang his head out the window of a moving vehicle."
ByteN2it
Posted 2010-04-02 8:26 AM (#56405 - in reply to #56375)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
The Russian Olive trees are a good one-it took me a while to figure out what I was smellin' and once I figured it out I started breathing in deep when I saw the trees coming up. Last year I did a ride up into North Dakota to add another state to the list and rode miles of highway lined with Lavender in bloom and it was awsome-other than getting tagged by the bees that were feasting on the flowers. Other favorites:the way the prarie smells after a rain & sweetgrass mmmmmm
Lone Ranger
Posted 2010-04-02 9:09 AM (#56407 - in reply to #56375)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA
Freshly-plowed fields, honeysuckle vines, magnolia trees, ocean/sea breeze near the shoreline. Oh, and believe it or not, the smell of the exhaust of a 1940s-60s car or truck (before all the exhaust reduction stuff) - it takes me WAY back. And I even don't mind the smell of the occasional skunk as I go past it.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-04-02 9:13 AM (#56408 - in reply to #56375)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
There was this one time a bunch of us Victory riders got stuck behind a truck delivering shrimp on a hot day...
radioteacher
Posted 2010-04-02 9:59 AM (#56412 - in reply to #56375)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Jedi Jeff,

You are on the money with shrimp and fish. I used to live in Rockport, TX that is right on the Texas coast. When you saw a truck with the word FISH on it and it was dripping water (melted ice) you stay way back or have a very stinky day.

Ride Safe
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-02 10:18 AM (#56416 - in reply to #56375)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
Eucalyptus trees after a rain
The smoker at the nearest Bar-B-Q joint.

atvtinker
Posted 2010-04-02 10:58 AM (#56419 - in reply to #56375)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
There is only two smells I can do without while out riding. Passing the wastewater treatment plants and being behind a GM product. Why can't GM get rid of that sulfur smell from their cars and trucks? Geez GM, get with the program!
rikrok
Posted 2010-04-02 11:04 AM (#56420 - in reply to #56375)

Cruiser

Moving from Texas recently, I am going to miss the Bluebonnet rides this year.

(bluebonnet.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bluebonnet.jpg (31KB - 0 downloads)
USCG Vet
Posted 2010-04-02 12:24 PM (#56422 - in reply to #56375)

Puddle Jumper

Omaha, NE
Rolling through the Seagrams distillery that was in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. The oaks barrels that were cut in two outside just filled the air with the smell of whiskey. Now there can be a molecule of whiskey in the air and my nostrils flair!
Candyman
Posted 2010-04-05 11:28 AM (#56700 - in reply to #56375)

Cruiser

West Knoxville TN
Diding thru the south when the Jasmine in in bloom is one of my favorite times, love the honeysuckle, and fresh cut hay.
lil vic
Posted 2010-04-05 10:17 PM (#56747 - in reply to #56375)

Cruiser

hudson, IL United States
call me a farm boy but i love the smell of fresh turned field, and driving by a hog/cow farm makes you know you are still on earth.
Ploz58
Posted 2010-04-06 12:08 AM (#56749 - in reply to #56375)

Cruiser

Central Victoria, Australia
Hot summers in country oz you get to smell dea
d roos and wombats. You can guage how fresh they are by the smell
but we have lots of gret smells as mentioned the eucalypts after rain
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-06 12:22 AM (#56750 - in reply to #56375)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Pussy.... ahhhhhh
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-04-06 9:04 AM (#56765 - in reply to #56375)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
When i ride south, I pass a bread factory. It is the bomb!
radioteacher
Posted 2010-04-06 11:08 AM (#56774 - in reply to #56375)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
donetracey,

So where do you ride?

All,

I need to get out more....eucalyptus after rain, Jasmine, whiskey and Russian Olive Trees.

I wonder if all olive trees smell as sweet? Some land owners are growing olives near my area. I will have to go and check them out.

Next week on Wednesday the wife and I are riding to Fredericksburg, TX to look and smell the flowers and pick some strawberries.

Si, se puede!

http://www.marburgerorchard.com/

Edited by radioteacher 2010-04-06 11:08 AM
SongFan
Posted 2010-04-07 11:07 PM (#56937 - in reply to #56375)
Subject: RE: Smells of the road!

Visionary

Memphis
A smokin-hot summer day and you see an isolated rain shower crossing the highway off in the distance.  By the time you get to where it crossed, most of the water has evaporated from the road but it is still steaming and a few degrees cooler than where you just were.  It smells like fresh rain with a little cloud cover but you are bone dry.  Pure heaven.
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-08 1:14 AM (#56944 - in reply to #56375)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
I ride EVERYWHERE ! And at my age, I imagine I can smell that beautiful aroma 24/7 - wherever I am.
Wish my damn imagination wasn't clouding my sense of reality....

So OK - I dig the smell(s) of the ocean when I ride - whenever I head inland, it seems there is something missing.....
The NorthWest is so lush - the rainforest has too many odours to pick any one scent out - you just don't realize your richness of aromas until you get inland and find yourself in an area dominated by one aroma producer - Bakery - Sawmill - Skunk, or some abundance of a family of plants.
Point (well taken) is that the aromas as we ride are an important part of the 'reason we ride'...... and I thank Paul for reminding me (us).
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-04-08 6:32 AM (#56953 - in reply to #56944)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
We are planing a weekend tour of the springtime "smells of the road" in Southern Indiana this Saturday and Sunday. The flowering trees are in full bloom, probably a couple weeks early, because of a round of unusually warm weather.

I know Indiana doesn't seem vary scenic to those in more exotic parts of the country, but if you ever get a chance to cruise the back roads in the southern half of the state I think you would completely enjoy the experience. Wild Dogwoods and Redbuds abound throughout the woodlands of the southern counties. And to top it off, every small town has at least one or two local diners that will please the taste buds and provide friendly conversation with the locals.

Get out and enjoy the spring, it's a great time to ride.
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-04-08 6:57 AM (#56955 - in reply to #56375)

Tourer

I don't know...... but that smell from the sheep/goat ranchs can be quite memorable. The Willow city loop area can have a great mix of olifactory delights.
radioteacher
Posted 2010-04-08 11:27 AM (#56976 - in reply to #56375)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
chesshiretuna,

If you are riding the Willow City Loop please let me know. I will take the day off and meet you there!

Ride Safe
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™