You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

New Vision Rider Checking In
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

robinsonre
Posted 2010-04-10 2:50 PM (#57174)
Subject: New Vision Rider Checking In

Puddle Jumper

Reno, NV
Hi Everyone,

My name is Ryan, I live in Reno, NV and I thought I'd check in and share my story.

I guess my story starts in 2002, at the time I was a freshman college student in Reno and figured a bike would make an enjoyable and affordable daily commute so I took a few training courses and got my motorcycle license. I took to riding like a duck to water but unfortunately I was never able to save up enough money to buy myself a ride. Motorcycling kind of fell by the wayside, and I took up other interests, principally school and target shooting.

In 2008 my brother Kyle moved to Reno. Fortuitously, the same year I was gifted an old beater bike ('79 Yamaha XS450) by a friend. The bike didn't run well, but it gave my brother and I countless hours of enjoyment to work on and ride the bike.

In 2009 Kyle was diagnosed with an aggressive soft tissue sarcoma in his neck. It was a shock to all of us, at 22 years old and an avid runner he was the healthiest member of my family. Throughout Kyle's treatment he and I spoke often. His big dream was to buy a bike and go on a long touring trip with my father and I. I promised that when his chemotherapy ended we'd all buy bikes and take the trip he wanted, my father echoed this promise.

Kyle never made it out of chemotherapy, his cancer metastasized and he died on March 23, 2010. At this time my father and I decided that life was too short. We went out and bought two Victory Vision Tour Premiums (2008 and 2009, midnight cherry and black respectively). We decided we'd make that trip in his honor.

While I can say that these weren't the bikes Kyle would have bought (he liked smaller Japanese sport bikes) I think he would have wanted us to get something that we were comfortable with.

I fell in love with the vision the moment I saw it, it handles like a dream and is a world of difference from my old sputtering XS450. I'll be looking forward to my first "long" trip, a jaunt from Las Vegas to Reno in about a week.

This looks like a great community, I just wanted to hop on and share my story.

Thanks,
Ryan Robinson

Edited by robinsonre 2010-04-10 2:51 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SongFan
Posted 2010-04-10 3:18 PM (#57175 - in reply to #57174)
Subject: RE: New Vision Rider Checking In

Visionary

Memphis
Welcome, Ryan.  You guys are right, life is too short.  Where is the long trip taking you?  (Reno to Las Vegas will feel like a lunch run.)

Edited by SongFan 2010-04-10 3:20 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2010-04-10 4:07 PM (#57177 - in reply to #57175)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Ryan, I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, cancer is terrible. Hopefully the Visions will bring you and your dad some happiness in the future. Vision-Riders holds a vast amount of information on your bikes, and other stuff. Enjoy your bikes and be safe.
Mfoster
Posted 2010-04-10 4:56 PM (#57180 - in reply to #57174)
Subject: Re: New Vision Rider Checking In

Cruiser

Hey, welcome. This site really is the best and I am happy you found it. Very sad to hear of your brother, and I hope you and pop find awesome peace and serenity out there on those long rides. You certainly chose a fantastic bike to do them on.
RedRider
Posted 2010-04-10 7:09 PM (#57187 - in reply to #57174)

Visionary

Sorry to hear about your brother. Sue passed away in 2000 but she rides with me each time I go out.
I went through Chemo/radiation treatment this winter for tongue cancer. Everyone should enjoy each day they are given in whatever way makes them and their loved ones happy.
Enjoy your long trips on your Visions.
quantum
Posted 2010-04-10 7:10 PM (#57189 - in reply to #57174)

Puddle Jumper

Brighton, MI
Welcome to the site Ryan, hope to here more about your trips from you and your dad. Very sorry to hear about your brother, dont forget he will be with you on all your rides, continue doing what you too would of done if he was still here and he will never be to far from you.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-10 10:11 PM (#57200 - in reply to #57174)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Ryan, I'm sorry for your loss. It is great that you and your dad share the same passion and that Kyle will be there when you two ride. Yes in deed life is way too short to sit and watch it go by, many never know that until it is too late.
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-04-11 11:22 AM (#57220 - in reply to #57174)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
Ryan, welcome aboard, condolences and congratulations! Riding together with your Dad will change your relationship, you will grow closer together in new ways. And also riding is great therapy. One thing you do a lot of when riding is you'll let your mind wonder and ponder much. The motorcycle community in general can be close knit, you'll gain friends wherever you travel. Good luck and enjoy every mile you ride!
Breaker
Posted 2010-04-11 12:10 PM (#57224 - in reply to #57174)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Welcome to the site Ryan.

I was very sorry to hear of your loss.

Be sure to keep us up to date as you and your dad 'discover' your Visions, and if you make it up to the Seattle area on your trip be sure to PM and we'll meet for coffee and I'll point you in the direction of some great riding.

Take care and ride safe.

Edited by Breaker 2010-04-11 12:10 PM
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-04-11 12:29 PM (#57225 - in reply to #57174)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Ryan, sorry for your loss. You might want to make an Ironbutt run in Kyle's honor. 1000 miles in 24 hours... On a positive side, welcome to the club! Get ready for a lot of looks and hope you don't mind talking to people. Seems like every time I stop for fuel or to eat, a crowd starts to gather around the bike. Stopping at an intersection will yield the same results.

robinsonre
Posted 2010-04-11 6:51 PM (#57246 - in reply to #57174)

Puddle Jumper

Reno, NV
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. We are not sure where our first long ride is going to be. Still in the planning stages, I'd like to go through Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. I've been through in a car and it's gorgeous. There is also the added benefit that each of thosenstates recognizes my Nevada ccw permit.

Edited by robinsonre 2010-04-11 6:52 PM
VaParadox
Posted 2010-04-11 7:59 PM (#57252 - in reply to #57174)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Now you guys know I cant pass up an opportunity to take the mic. Buddy, everyone here shares the same feeling for you and
your brother, so I wont re-hash the well wishing since its already there. I just wanna add one comment.
IM STILL DUMBSTUCK THAT SOMEONE ON THIS SITE KNOWS THE WORD F O R T U I T O U S L Y and used it correctly in a sentence............ dang. Just goes to show that not every biker is a un ed u ma ca ted hillbilly with a tatoo and bandanna wrapped around his head. Guys, i just think we got risen to a whole new level of smartsness........... (is smartsness a word)??? dang
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™