You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Almost nailed...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2010-04-17 8:56 PM (#57791)
Subject: Almost nailed...

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
...not me, but another rider. I'll just share what I know, but it would have been interesting how the story would have unfolded if there had been contact.

I was leaving a parking lot when a showboat HD came ripping around me by crossing over to the other lane to leave in parking lot. Both of us had to stop at a light leaving the lot and I was about 2 cars behind. We get the green light and he rips on down the road but because of traffic and light timing, and the way I normally ride I am soon right behind him. I'm riding as I normally ride and he appears to be trying to play keep away.

Being behind him at a light he takes to the center of the lane so as not to have any room on either side. Just an observation of mine, but I don't normally pull up next to any bikes at a light unless I personnally know you, so he really has no concern if that was his concern. Finally we are in free flowing traffic and we're getting on to an exit ramp on to 150 south. Again, I'm riding like I normally ride and though I've remained back to give him some room he's now in my way, but he's got it full throttle. He's finally where he can make his entrance and he's hard on the throttle but he doesn't look over his shoulder. There is a car coming in to take the off loop and it's one of those cross lane entrance/exits that we have. All I see is that he's almost eating this guys door not knowing he is there. In an instant he realizes he has a car right on him and fortunetly the cager backs off as he guns it. (loud pipes save lives but you can't fix stupid) All along I'm backing off and looking for a safe place to pull and putting in my mind where my cellphone is as I know this guy is going down. But, again, fortunetly he narrowly misses the car, and the car him and he rips off in excess of 90 mph, don't ask me how I know.

I'm baffled at the whole thing as that is way too stupid to be riding that way. If he had gone down, I wondered how many would have tried to blame the cager? I would have been a witness to the fact he was totally in the wrong in his aggressiveness behavior and lack of checking lanes before moving, all a recipe for certain diaster.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
donetracey
Posted 2010-04-18 12:09 AM (#57802 - in reply to #57791)
Subject: Re: Almost nailed...

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
There's no accounting for 'My Bike Is Better Than Your Bike' mentality.
Yesterday, CoPilot & I are heading back towards Vancouver on the Whistler Sea-To-Sky route when we get into a construction zone - everone stopped. We drive slowly down the curb lane to the front of the stoppage - where we see a few other bikes that worked their way to the front of the line (which we do here in BC). The delay was about 10 minutes, which means 'clear road ahead - ALL THE WAY !!! '.
So I have a 'HD Vroom Vroom' plus a 'BMW Square Boxer', me, and a youngster on a 'Go-Fast'.
Flaglady winds up with her sign, and gives us the GO - and off we go. My KevinXinated Victory easily blows us out in front of all - and I settle down at about 120 kph (80mph or so) to enjoy the curves and clear road ahead.
After I back-off, the BMW steams by, followed shortly by the HD in a great puff of noise. I chuckle, figuring that if any of Canada's Finest (RCMP) are lurking down the road - they would nail these two first and not have time to worry 'bout me.
I followed them for maybe 15 minutes as they gradually pulled away - on that highway - 80mph is Sports-car Territory so I was happy to do MY thing. The guy on the Go-Fast likely agreed, as he was happy just to follow us.
I am sure the BMW guy was 'damned if a HD was going by him' - and the HD guy was 'damned if a BMW is faster than MY ride'.
Well - the upshot ... no exciting stuff (thank God) - just a wonderful, fast, cageless ride - with a little amusement that I have seen zillions of times. My 'blah' is better than your 'Ugh' - what makes the world go round, Chris.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-18 4:11 AM (#57805 - in reply to #57791)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
sure I see a lot of the blah - blah and I merrily go along and laugh. this guy wasn't making me laugh though and with the way he rides he won't be around too much longer to worry with blah - blah. it's not about how fast, or his preceived game of keep away, it was his reckless disregard that he feels he's the only one on the road in the midst of mindless drivers. for the most part i drive offensively, with a strong defense...
OldGringo
Posted 2010-04-18 9:44 AM (#57825 - in reply to #57791)

Cruiser

Republic of Tejas
If your "friend" knows that the guy is doing 90, then he was very correctly perceived as tryin to chase the rider down. Take a deep breaath and just let the morons go.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-18 9:59 AM (#57827 - in reply to #57791)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
sheesh... The whole point is this guy almost kissed a cage for being stupid. My assessment of his speed is based off the ground he was covering. I had no desire to chase him....
Teach
Posted 2010-04-18 10:39 AM (#57833 - in reply to #57791)

Visionary

I never have occasion to worry about anothers riding or even pay attention to them other than the normal wave. I normally take the center if at the head of traffic at a lite, the old keeping every avenue open thing. I also try to pull away from other bikes that may have come up behind me. Has nothing to do with not wanting to be passed and everything to do with keeping them away from me. I figure if they want to pass they'll go around but I don't want some inexperienced newb on my butt or positioning themselves off my tail. As for the ramp exchange? Well sounds like the bike had right of way so the cage should have backed off and he should have excel'd which is pretty much what occured. Probably looked much worse from your position, but common.
You are probably right, at some point he'll likely become a stat and from an observers angle one can always find a different way to have handled the situation. Interesting thing to ponder for sure. I also concur that in many instances the old "it was the cages fault" gets over played when rider error in judgement was the true culprit. Many ride like they have their head stuffed and play the blame game when something bad happens. It is for this very reason that I always evaluate from the position of "what might the rider have done differently" to have avoided the bad occurance. There is ALWAYS something that could have and should have been done by the rider. So if blame is to be placed, I'd suggest the rider is always at fault (but I don't assign blame).
OldGringo
Posted 2010-04-18 2:03 PM (#57851 - in reply to #57827)

Cruiser

Republic of Tejas
Didn't mean to flame VA. We all have different opinions on a lot of subjects, mine is not worth more than anyone elses. Commuting across Houston on a baily basis I see a lot of B.S. going down with cages and cars. Just have to take a deep breath, roll off of the throttle and let the morons go.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-18 3:59 PM (#57857 - in reply to #57851)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
OldGringo - 2010-04-18 3:03 PM

Didn't mean to flame VA. We all have different opinions on a lot of subjects, mine is not worth more than anyone elses. Commuting across Houston on a baily basis I see a lot of B.S. going down with cages and cars. Just have to take a deep breath, roll off of the throttle and let the morons go.

I must be really screwy in my words as the context of the whole post was this guy almost got nailed and I was actually anticipating where I could pull off safely and call 911. Never at any time was in pursuit of this guy and could care less. My assesment of his speed is based off the fact I roll this road every single workday and have learned to judge the speed of folks. I wish him well as well as all you all to ride safe, always watch so we don't have to read about another biker down. When you or I are dead it won't matter whose fault it was, but try your best not to let it be yours.

Peace out.
Biscuit
Posted 2010-04-18 5:20 PM (#57866 - in reply to #57791)

Cruiser

Midlothian, Va.
He was a show off and he almost paid for it in a bad way.
baadawg
Posted 2010-04-18 6:04 PM (#57871 - in reply to #57791)

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
To me this post is about the arrogance of certain other brand riders. Have you guys noticed, HD riders wave at each other almost always? I used to be one of them, but have come over to the other side when I got my Vegas and now my Vision. Anyway, they don't wave back at me any more and it pisses me off. I've stopped to help those idiots when they forget to turn the fuel on, and they can't even wave back.
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-04-18 6:43 PM (#57873 - in reply to #57791)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
I'm sure we have all had our "frisky" moments on a bike at some time. This is a great illustration of what most of us have learned the hard way.

I have had my share of close calls, but when I've let myself slip into that frame of mind that guys, especially young guys get into, of "I'll show him", well there's no excuse for what follows. That's exactly what VA got a chance to witness. You feel lucky and relieved if you get by with it, but from everybody's point of view that watches the idiot, we go away shaking our heads and thinking, "What a stupid -ss".

Once they survive, all they really want to do is get away from everyone that saw.

As the MSF program add used to say, "Stupid Hurts". Or worse.

Thank God you didn't get tangled in it VA! Far too often the innocent get killed when stupid happens. Lets all remember to ride our own way and let the crazies go on by. We really don't have to prove anything anyway.
ronhughes
Posted 2010-04-18 8:45 PM (#57885 - in reply to #57873)

Puddle Jumper

Let 'em go by. You'll survive to ride tomorrow. With ya there, but I bet most of us were there at one time.

Ass to pavement is a hard lesson and one best avoided.
----

2010 Midnight Cherry Cross Country Best bike I have ever owned.

Edited by ronhughes 2010-04-18 8:47 PM
varyder
Posted 2010-04-18 8:47 PM (#57888 - in reply to #57791)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I guess I learned something...stay completely away from HD riders as they'll kill themselves trying to get away from me...literally...
candubrain
Posted 2010-04-18 8:56 PM (#57891 - in reply to #57791)

Cruiser

Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
I can't be too critical of the event, as I have been caught up in the moment more than once only to ask myself later, why i would do something so damn stupid.
I firmly believe it's part of being the male species.......showboating to win the female. You can't get away from it unless you show great restraint and maturity. Something I still haven't mastered and in my 50's.
VisionTex
Posted 2010-04-18 9:25 PM (#57902 - in reply to #57888)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
varyder - 2010-04-18 7:47 PM

I guess I learned something...stay completely away from HD riders as they'll kill themselves trying to get away from me...literally...

You can't stay away from them Chris, they are everywhere! All you can do is shake your head in amazement at some of the stunts they pull. A wheely from a stoplight is the best one I've seen, passengers head almost made contact, and for what? As I'm sitting here, I just heard one ripp'n down the main drag close to my house. Hope he makes it home. Ride safe.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™