You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Dual Antennas
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

repeateruser
Posted 2010-04-21 8:11 PM (#58121)
Subject: Dual Antennas

Just wondered if anyone has a dual antenna setup ? With the way Victory designed the radio antenna,it no wonder it doesn't recive very good . I've tried the vw amplified antenna and it helped somewhat , but not what it SHOULD be getting . So just ordered a no ground plain 4 ft am/fm/wx fiberglass antenna. Cost with shipping was almost $80.00, that also included a 4 ft cb fiberglass antenna . Sooo
this trunk pac will look like a h-d, with two black whips !! If this don't work guess I'll have to trade it for a h-d ! Just hoping I won't have to,since this is paid for !

2009 Vision Tour Black Cherry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wseemann
Posted 2010-04-25 3:06 PM (#58343 - in reply to #58121)
Subject: Re: Dual Antennas

Cruiser

Boydsville, AR United States
Let us know how, and if this works!
VRat
Posted 2010-04-26 3:16 PM (#58422 - in reply to #58121)

Cruiser

Lehigh Valley, Pa
Can you share what make and model antenna you purchased?
repeateruser
Posted 2010-04-28 5:22 PM (#58602 - in reply to #58422)

I ordered from CB World they both are Firestik brand antennas. The am/fm/wx antenna is model #amfm4-b4 4ft black antenna tuned for 88-108 mhz and 1-2mhz ,which is for weather band , I don't know if you can split this and use with a ham radio or not, but I am going to try it. The other part is #lg4m2 . This is a no ground plane kit, includes a black teardrop mount ( like the factory cb mount from Victory ) which I'll mount on the right side of tour pak,coax cable and a 4 ft black antenna. The reason I wanted these is because you can adjust the standing wave without cutting the antenna. S & h was 24.58 sent to central Indiana and should be here by the end of this week. Hope to have it installed this weekend if all goes well,I'll post my results.
repeateruser
Posted 2010-05-22 9:51 PM (#60490 - in reply to #58121)
Subject: RE: Dual Antennas

Just installed the second antenna for the am/fm/wx radio.What a HUGH differance This looks like the cb antenna mount , I mounted it on the right side of the trunk . The mount is an exact copy of the one the dealer installed. We took a ride tonight and I went down a road that I usually loose the station within 3 to 4 mile, well I drove 18 or so miles and never lost the station! What I bought was a firestik 3 foot am/fm/wx antenna ( I ordered a 4ft first,was to tall to fit in the garage door ). I also ordered a 3foot cb antenna kit ,(had the side mount and coax with it ). I haven't set the swr yet,but should better after I do. This was tougher than I thought it would be, taking all the screws out of the bottom to find out it seamed like the gluded the linner together. I took the rear lock assembly out and eye balled where the mount should go and drilled ( ) my holes . It was hard for me to tighten the two nuts inside the outer shell . The inner shell is not enforced like the left side for the cb mount. The rear of the trunk looks decent,but wish I had a better way of doing this. The end result was what I was looking for and just playing around with the radio,I got stations INSIDE my garage where I couldn't get them before,so I'm VERY pleased now with my radio ,and glad that I don't have to trade it on a Harley !
Jim Millington
Posted 2010-05-22 10:20 PM (#60494 - in reply to #58121)

Cruiser

Cold Lake Alberta Canada
Any chance of a picture?
wseemann
Posted 2010-05-23 1:40 PM (#60537 - in reply to #58121)

Cruiser

Boydsville, AR United States
Ya, Pictures, I'd like to try this on mine.
Webhair
Posted 2010-05-24 7:32 AM (#60572 - in reply to #58121)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
Pictures please...
VRat
Posted 2010-05-24 9:45 AM (#60585 - in reply to #58602)

Cruiser

Lehigh Valley, Pa
repeateruser - 2010-04-28 6:22 PM

I ordered from CB World they both are Firestik brand antennas. The am/fm/wx antenna is model #amfm4-b4 4ft black antenna tuned for 88-108 mhz and 1-2mhz ,which is for weather band , I don't know if you can split this and use with a ham radio or not, but I am going to try it. The other part is #lg4m2 . This is a no ground plane kit, includes a black teardrop mount ( like the factory cb mount from Victory ) which I'll mount on the right side of tour pak,coax cable and a 4 ft black antenna. The reason I wanted these is because you can adjust the standing wave without cutting the antenna. S & h was 24.58 sent to central Indiana and should be here by the end of this week. Hope to have it installed this weekend if all goes well,I'll post my results.

I am not sure if I am missing something but are you using a CB no ground plane base with the am/fm/wx antenna? I am not able to locate the teardrop base set up for am/fm. I guess you could change the connector.
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-05-24 1:17 PM (#60599 - in reply to #58121)

Iron Butt

The no ground plane mount from Firestick IS the Victory Accessory mount, if you want to get better FM reception try using the signal combiner that Firestick also offers: http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/AR-1A.htm
repeateruser
Posted 2010-05-25 12:12 AM (#60671 - in reply to #60599)

Ok, I'll try to post some pictures on here.
repeateruser
Posted 2010-05-25 12:23 AM (#60673 - in reply to #60671)

Sorry, could get them to load. I see if I can figure out how to reduce them so they will fit.
repeateruser
Posted 2010-05-26 9:52 PM (#60868 - in reply to #60673)

Well I'll try this again,but I don't know how to keep mit under 100k,sorry ,but I am learning new stuff ( I hope ) !

(100_0165.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_0165.JPG (77KB - 13 downloads)
dollarbillwi
Posted 2010-05-27 6:02 AM (#60877 - in reply to #60868)

Cruiser

West Bend, WI
Try this little program for resizing pics. Have been using it for years, works very well.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-05-27 9:40 AM (#60884 - in reply to #58121)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
repeateruser:

The firestik folks say the cable can't be modified without messing up the tuned circuit.

17' of coax cable seems like a lot of material to try and find space for, my guess is you cant need more than 6' to reach the mount. What did you do with all the excess cable?
repeateruser
Posted 2010-05-27 3:26 PM (#60911 - in reply to #60877)

Thanks ,I'll try this out.
repeateruser
Posted 2010-05-27 3:45 PM (#60912 - in reply to #60884)

Tarpits99, I just left the extra cable in the trunk,there is a linner then the outershell. The cb cable is what Iused for the am/fm to the radio , there was an adaptor that I bought to go from pl259 to gm style for the radio . The only thing I haven't done yet is to redo the cable and install the groung side of the coax . So far I don't think I'll need to do that as the radio itself is grounded . The way it is mounted is a real pia for me so one day I'll do this ,but I just think that it won't improve it any better than it is. This cable is way to long for it as you stated,and 6 ft would be just about right, but I now have an extra cb cable setup if I should ever need it. Next addition will be for my ham radio,but thats a good winter project. Thanks for asking .

Ride safe and enjoy Life !
BigBrett23601
Posted 2012-01-04 11:18 PM (#104764 - in reply to #60585)

Puddle Jumper

Ok so let me get this right I can get the Firestick splitter and just hook it up to the am/fm radio ? I don't have a CB installed on the bike so would the CB mounted ant and the spliter work fine for just improving just my radio?
Thanks for answering on a older thread.
BigBrett
rdbudd
Posted 2012-01-05 7:37 AM (#104777 - in reply to #104764)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
BigBrett23601 - 2012-01-04 11:18 PM

Ok so let me get this right I can get the Firestick splitter and just hook it up to the am/fm radio ? I don't have a CB installed on the bike so would the CB mounted ant and the spliter work fine for just improving just my radio?
Thanks for answering on a older thread.
BigBrett

If you do not have the CB, and you want to use a CB antenna for the FM radio, you do not need the splitter at all. You can either wire a regular Motorola cable directly to the antenna, or use a regular CB cable and an SO-239 to Motorola plug adapter, which just screws into the end of the CB cable and then plugs into your FM radio. Same thing if you want to use dual antennas for FM and CB, (one for each). No splitter needed.

Ronnie
randymann64
Posted 2012-11-29 12:22 AM (#127682 - in reply to #60585)

Puddle Jumper

Charleston, SC United States
For anyone interested in installing an exterior AM/FM/WB antenna on the trunk of their Vision, it is a worthwhile project which will get you radio reception comparable to a car radio. The project is likely to have sticky moments (mine did) so I thought that my experience might help others interested in attempting the project. Questions can be directed to: randymann64@yahoo.com. Good luck hardy souls!

I just finished installing an external antenna on my Vision using the method outlined by repeateruser. The new antenna works fine but, because I'm a clutz, it took 6 hours to install. I was able to get my trunk liner out, but with considerable difficulty. I knew that there was about a 100% probability that I would drop one or both of the nut/washers from the antenna mount between the liner and the outer trunk shell, so I opted to remove the trunk liner. The biggest problem I had was (once again) stripped bolts from the factory. Apparently the threaded sleeves are set into molded plastic at the time of manufacture and, if overtightened during bike assembly, the sleeves simply spin and make removal of the bolt impossible without cutting off the bolt head. I ran into the same problem when installing gatling tips on my exhausts, on BOTH pipes. That turned a simple two hour project into a 5 hour nightmare. So it was with the trunk liner. There are probably 12-15 screws holding the liner in with 3 large ones toward the seat, 4 smaller ones in the bottom, and the rest are standard screws. Do NOT remove the large screws at the back, they simply hold the lock mechanism in place and will lift out with the liner. The adhesive on the bottom gave way easily.

Removing the seat was a snap. By opening the glove box and fuel door, I could remove the snap-in panel that fits between the seat and the console. That gave me access to the two screws that hold the seat in. Yes I did remember to disconnect the heater cables. I installed the antenna mount with no problem and fitted the excess cable in the opening for the CB radio. Even fishing the wire up past the right speaker was no problem. Then came reinstalling the trunk liner, which became insane. No matter what I tried, the liner simply would not seat. On the left side, one of the panels had become dislodged and I had one hell of a time getting it to seat again. Finally, after about a 30 minute struggle, the liner seated and I started putting screws back in. Now the second of the large screws behind the seat would not grab. Apparently the molded nut had twisted and, despite my best effort, I could not get it to line up. Now only one of the three large screws are set, but that did not appear to cause a problem. The rest of the screws went back in normally.

Removing the console was not difficult. It required removal of the trim piece around the speedometer and tach, but that just snaps off. Then there were 4 large screws and 3 small ones, and the console lifts up to clear the ignition. Reaching under, I pulled off the connectors for the driving light, hazard switch, and the grip heaters. I learned the hard way to note carefully how the three wires go on the heated grip switch. That let me roll over the console enough to expose the bottom of the radio. The existing antenna lead is a small wire going to a plug that pulls out. The radio has a clear plastic sleeve that holds the antenna plug. It is about 3/4" long and I had to cut it off to plug in the new antenna. I had a BIG problem getting the right PL259 to Motorola adapter. The existing plug is VERY long, so you need a longer adapter, called a 'scanner antenna' adapter to actually get the plug to seat. Getting the right adapter required 3 trips to Radio Shack stores in two different cities. But once I had everything in place, I turned on the radio while inside of a metal building and the reception was glorious! Such a vast improvement from the marginal reception I have become used to. I put everything back together and tested the console switches, gratefully everything worked. This was a great leap of faith project for me because the thought of taking a wench to my very complex $24,000 motorcycle sent chills through my body. I'm one of those "One Car Funeral" guys, so if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Randy

Edited by randymann64 2012-11-29 12:26 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™