You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Stupid Comments
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Probie
Posted 2010-05-08 8:25 AM (#59365)
Subject: Stupid Comments

Cruiser

guelph ontario
I just could not let this pass-a buddy of mine who just bought another HD Ultra and I were talking on the phone the other day. He bought the HD as he had a Goldwing that he bought new last year and when we parked our bikes together the onlookers would crowd around the Vision and would not pay any attention to the GW. So first of all he bought for the wrong reasons IMHO. Now when we park the same thing happens, lots of oogling at the Vision and not much attention to the HD. I know that this is because the Vision is still relatively unknown and the others are very common. But what really got to me was when I mentioned that another friend who has the Yamaha touring bike was going on a dream trip of his for 5 weeks down to the grand canyon and back he replied-"gee I would never ride a jap bike down to Arizona or Texas because the good ol boys dont like jap bikes and would hassle him." Can you believe it. It still irks me that someone could be so stupid. I have had gold wings and Yamies and have never encountered any issues anywhere I rode with them, even to the southern states. Untill this type of ignorance ends we all have lots to fear from stupid bigots. Had to get this off of my chest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
candubrain
Posted 2010-05-08 9:11 AM (#59369 - in reply to #59365)
Subject: Re: Stupid Comments

Cruiser

Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
I've seen it only once, my buddy rides a Yamaha Touring bike, we were in N.C. and he was heckled by a reformed Christian Biker, the entire group took it as a good jab, we all had a laugh at the Yamasaki comments and moved on.
Perhaps it was meant as malicious, but I think it all comes down to your attitude and if you are mature enough to take a fun ribbing when it comes by.
Being a former HD guy, I still ridicule my HD buddies every chance I get, and of course they refer to my Vision as the Vespa.
iluvink
Posted 2010-05-08 9:11 AM (#59370 - in reply to #59365)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
Well, I live in the DFW, Texas area, and like everywhere else, you have HD snobs and hard noses, as well as the random 1%'er. But by and large, we really don't care. Just as long as you ride.
Probie
Posted 2010-05-08 9:19 AM (#59372 - in reply to #59365)

Cruiser

guelph ontario
Hey Brian-its raining like hell-hope your bike is getting a good wash today.
Teach
Posted 2010-05-08 9:37 AM (#59374 - in reply to #59365)

Visionary

It all boils down to individual security and I'm not necessarily talking about your buddy who sold his wing for an Ultra. Did you buy your Vision so your bike would get more looks than someone elses? Why get offended by a random comment about anothers bike? It is a bike and if it has become a tool to boost your self esteem there is a problem. IF your buddy sold his previous bike for the reasons you stated than there are two of you with a similar issue.
There has always been a FUN rivalry between riders of different brands, but if it gets under your skin, the issue is something you need to resolve for yourself.
ps...just speaking "generally" so take it as you please
candubrain
Posted 2010-05-08 10:49 AM (#59378 - in reply to #59372)

Cruiser

Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
Probie - 2010-05-08 9:19 AM

Hey Brian-its raining like hell-hope your bike is getting a good wash today.

Funny you should ask, it got a good prewash coming home from work yesterday.
The Mrs. and daughter #2 are in TO shopping for the day, I'm thinking of throwing on the rain gear and heading Windsor way.....I'm hoping it's warmer than up here, calling for wet snow this afternoon.

Did you want to meet up, say in London? Bring Jim if you are, we still haven't gotten together for a ride.
I've got the 2nd annual Kincardine run happening next Saturday, with a rain date of the 29th. Meeting the Hamilton boys in Mt Forest, (they plan on grouping at the Yamaha Dealer in Guelph on #6 between 8:20~9:00), then onto Thomboys in Owen Sound. I'm planning on taking them on some backroads Wiarton way, fill their bellies, then send them home.

Here's the link, you and Jim should join us this year.

http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_4195/
XRsteve
Posted 2010-05-08 11:56 AM (#59383 - in reply to #59365)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I rode my Vision to the last AHDRA ( All Harley Drag Racing Association ) in Commerce Ga. and there were HD people around my bike all the time. Everyone I talked to liked it and wanted to know about it. Most said it was the first one they had seen up close and seemed to like it alot. I also blogged on the AHDRA site and suggested to open up the sandbox to Victory's, it would add a brand vs brand competition sorta like HD vs. Indian back in the old days and since they are both big twins with a very close bore and stroke configuration they would fit right in. Haven't heard back on that one, but I feel it would surely add more bikes and fans to the races. Sure it would be years till someone builds a Top Fuel Victory but in the lower classes I think Lloyds equipped Victorys could hold their own......
Probie
Posted 2010-05-08 1:02 PM (#59387 - in reply to #59365)

Cruiser

guelph ontario
Got the Vision because its a great bike. Its my second Vic. I could not care less about what others may think or not. He was not commenting on the bike but he was fearful about the southerners giving a jap bike rider a hard time. Perhaps Teach you could read the comments first as opposed to assuming something was said so you can get the story straight. Mabey he was talking about you.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-08 1:09 PM (#59388 - in reply to #59365)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
is the mentality you're talking about .... http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/06/1615929/fla-man-sentenced-for...
CC-Rider
Posted 2010-05-08 2:06 PM (#59396 - in reply to #59365)

Cruiser

Does it really matter what you ride as long as you are happy with it. As soon as someone starts making my bike payment they can say what I should ride! You buy YOUR bike for reasons that justify you not someone else! Just ride & have fun!!
CowboyVision
Posted 2010-05-08 3:52 PM (#59401 - in reply to #59365)

Cruiser

Meadow, Texas
I had a little encounter yesterday. Was stopped at the local pharmacy and as I was coming out, saw 3 guys looking at my bike. As I got closer one of them peeled away and was walking into the store and asked if the Vision was mine - said yes and he complimented me on the bike. But continued on with "Watch out, one of those guys is a "REAL HARLEY" rider". (With him making the quotation symbol with his hands, although he was the one that was riding a HD). But as I got closer, the idiot just looked asked my why I would waste my money on such an ugly jap bike? (right then I knew I had a winner on my hand). I told him it wasn't japanese and was made in the US and I didn't think it was ugly. I then asked him what he rode (knowing the answer) "Harley, of course. Harley's the best, f*** the rest". Again I knew he was a real winner. So I asked him where his bike was. He told it was at home and broke down. And I just replied, "And that is the reason I ride a Victory." His buddy just was there laughing. But I really wanted to just shoot him down even more but thought what would be the reason, I had made my point. Plust the other guy that actually pulled up on his Harley was a true rider and showed respect to another's ride.
But as I rode away the "HARLEY RIDER" and his friend was getting back in the friend's pickup to go and mow some more lawns and the "H.R." asked me where I put the rice. Really wanted to tell him where I would put the rice but just rode off and laughed at the moron.
eagle
Posted 2010-05-08 5:38 PM (#59406 - in reply to #59365)

Cruiser

Columbus, Ga
Probie - What does "Even in the southern states" suppose to mean?
Teach
Posted 2010-05-08 5:45 PM (#59407 - in reply to #59365)

Visionary

Probie, pretty sure I read your comments right, AND if there was ANY doubt you cleared it up real quick with your reply. But just to recap:
1. "He bought the HD as he had a Goldwing ...... when we parked our bikes together the onlookers would crowd around the Vision and would not pay any attention to the GW." Hmmm
2. "first of all he bought for the wrong reasons IMHO."
3. "Now when we park the same thing happens."
4. "gee I would never ride a jap bike down to Arizona or Texas because the good ol boys dont like jap bikes and would hassle him." LOL
5. "It still irks me that someone could be so stupid." AND his comment is different than yours how? Both are suggesting a bike makes a difference somehow...
6. "Untill this type of ignorance ends we all have lots to fear from stupid bigots." Did YOU not just do the same thing? Did YOU not say he bought a HD because your bike got more attention and still does? Are YOU not implying yours is better? The IMPLICATIONS ae the same aka what folks ride is significant to others.....
Yep, I believe I got your message just fine. Maybe you just aren't seeing the irony
roundtwig
Posted 2010-05-08 5:56 PM (#59409 - in reply to #59406)

Cruiser

flagstaff, AZ
eagle - 2010-05-08 4:38 PM

Probie - What does "Even in the southern states" suppose to mean?

His friend had stated to "watch out" in the southern states riding a "jap " bike, but that he himself had never had any problems anywhere including the southern states. I live in Arizona and I have not met anyone that cares what you ride, just that you ride.

Edited by roundtwig 2010-05-08 5:57 PM
varyder
Posted 2010-05-08 6:22 PM (#59410 - in reply to #59365)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
sounds to me he is just stating facts off of his experience, not that he has implied anything. I've been in places where the Vision got no more than a glance, and others where I had to cut the conversation so I could get on the road. I can't find his words where he said the Vision was better, just that it got more attention than what the other guy rode.

Then I also hear that someone has had experience of bias while riding in certain locales. I can relate as folks have been obvious about their dislike of my bike, even when there was nothing to prompt such a response. But all in all I find that no matter what walk of life you are in, there is always someone trying to shoot another one down and make their point as the only way to be. Ride on my friends, ride on... Peace out.

Edited by varyder 2010-05-08 6:24 PM
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-05-08 7:08 PM (#59413 - in reply to #59365)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I generally find myself wandering over to their bike while everyone's oogling mine. There's usually something cool to point out on every bike. Some of the best tricks I've seen are from Wingers.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-08 7:31 PM (#59414 - in reply to #59413)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
bigwill5150 - 2010-05-08 8:08 PM

I generally find myself wandering over to their bike while everyone's oogling mine. There's usually something cool to point out on every bike. Some of the best tricks I've seen are from Wingers.

I hear ya. I've talk so much about the Vision over the last 2 1/2 years that I'll redirect their attention to their bike. When they ask about the Vision I just tell them it's the best that I've ever had. After admiring their bike, it leaves them wanting to ask more questions, but the answers are more of what they want to hear.
radioteacher
Posted 2010-05-08 11:40 PM (#59435 - in reply to #59365)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
In 22 months of riding the Vision almost every day on South Texas I have yet to run across anyone that was belligerent or rude when discussing my ride.

I have had to answer a lot of questions. I usually start with the information........"Its a Victory!" "Headquartered in Minnesota and built in Iowa." If they looked puzzled I follow with "It is designed and built Americans." If they are still confused I will add that..."Polaris is the parent company to Victory."

Normally they say that have not heard of Victory. Then comes "Well, they have only built about 70,000 bike in 10 years...this is about what Harley makes in four months of production."

If they ask why I did not buy a Harley I say the truth. "When I was looking to buy a full touring bike I tried the HD Ultra Classic and the Road King but the bikes did not fit me very well. The Harley's seats and center of of gravity of the bikes was higher then I liked." "When I tried the Vision with its low seat height and low center of gravity the bike just fit me like a glove."

I do not hate HD, I admire the bikes and the brand. The fact of the matter is that HD only make three models that fit me and none are full dresser touring bikes.

Usually all I have is raise the windshield to show how different the Vision is as a bike.

Ride Safe!
VisionTex
Posted 2010-05-09 11:16 AM (#59479 - in reply to #59435)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Yah, normally the windshield does it.
exharleyrider
Posted 2010-05-09 8:49 PM (#59518 - in reply to #59365)

Cruiser

I have this experience on a lot of rides with my group. Usually some Harley guy will say something about the space ship or the sound or something equally silly. I tell them if it is good enough for Sonny Barger it is go enough for me. They usually take a strp back, get a dull look and then realize they have been had by Harley.
Teach
Posted 2010-05-10 8:59 PM (#59576 - in reply to #59365)

Visionary

My brother made the comment to the affect of "who is running the sewing machine." Struck me odd cause I couldn't put my finger on the sound until he said it, lol...
I was riding Road Glides long before they became popular, was riding Goldwings at 19 yeas of age. So I don't place much weight on what someone else thinks I should ride or what the crowd is riding. The best bike ever made is the one you're riding or the one you are about to get. Funny part is even the bad one's I've owned brought me endless pleasure. Enjoy the ride and ignore the rest....... Happy trails......
radioteacher
Posted 2010-05-10 10:30 PM (#59577 - in reply to #59576)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Teach - 2010-05-10 8:59 PM

My brother made the comment to the affect of "who is running the sewing machine." Struck me odd cause I couldn't put my finger on the sound until he said it, lol...

My come back for that is....

"I could put straight pipes on it just to make it louder. But do you think I should give up all of my low end torque to impress those who like that sound? Never mind I will keep the torque!"

and

"Lets dyno for pink slips right now! Best total numbers wins!"

Edited by radioteacher 2010-05-10 10:31 PM
smadge
Posted 2010-05-10 10:45 PM (#59579 - in reply to #59365)

Cruiser

Kerrville Texas ( now a homeowner on six acres)
hey guys,

Just read this thread and thought I would put ib my 2 cents worth. I ( we ) baught our vision because we truely felt it was the best bike for us. We have been traveling in a motor home and the vision.(16,000 on the motorhome: 31,500 on the vision) Previous to the vision we had a 2005 Victory kingpin (28,600 miles ) My wife has a back issue and needed the great seat. (she is a pasenger, has never ridden a motorcycle solo).Anyway, we wanted the bike when we saw the prototype at our dealers open house in 2006 or 07. Baught the first or second vision he got. we love it and we like everyone!! (except those as----s who think they are special because of what they ride. I love all but ,do not f--- with me about trivial stuff. We ride or we dont ride,!! period dot X!

We do what we do and all others do what they do!! Hoooaaa and huuraaah!!!!

Smadge
titanchief
Posted 2010-06-10 2:26 PM (#61912 - in reply to #59365)

Puddle Jumper

I have ridden Honda and Kawasaki as a kid, because I couldn"t afford a Harley. when I finally could, I admit, I was a Harley Snob until I realized how stupid and petty I was. Bottom line, who cares what people think? I bought a 2000 Indian Chief because my Dad had an old Indian when I was a puppy, and I love the Iconic look, but I'm getting older, and I really want a touring bike. I admit, I actually LOVE the look of the victory, but was seriously considering the Wing when my buddy bought one in 08...it is an incredible machine...then, another buddy of mine bought The vision tour and let me ride it...I'm sold. I was MUCH more comfy on the vision than the wing.
I will ALWAYS keep my Indian Chief because she's my dream bike, but my daily rider and touring bike will no doubt be the Vision.
Oh, and by the way, owning the Indian I've taken plenty of crap from the HD sheep out there, and I think it's actually kind of funny how Narrow minded some folks are...it is usually the posuers that fling the most crap, and real riders respect all motorcycles. I'd ride with anyone as long as they are good riders and good attitudes.-
radioteacher
Posted 2010-06-10 5:03 PM (#61916 - in reply to #59365)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
June 8th I complemented a couple on a white HD Ultra Classic as a coworker and I was walking out of Lulu's Diner near downtown San Antonio. I was in the truck since the rain was forecast and coming down most of the day.

Me. "To bad about the rain."
Ultraman. "Well I am 600 miles from home...so I ride."
Me. "No problem for the Ultra it ride great in the rain."
Ultraman. "Uh huh."
Me. I clapped my hand on the shoulder of my co-worker and said, "I ride almost every day..but not today....I just wish my friend here would ride his HD Deluxe more often!"
Ultraman. "A Deluxe, why don't you get a real ride?"
Me. "I ride a Victory Vision"
Ultraman. "Uh huh."

When we got in the truck we had a good laugh. My coworker said, "It he dismissed the Deluxe, he sure wasn't going to say anything nice about the Vision!"
Me. "I know, that's why I mentioned the Vision!"

Now here is a rider that thinks if you do not ride an HD Ultra you belong in the class of ..... just another thing with two wheels.

I am shocked about how little respect he had for a fellow HD rider.

Ride Safe
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™