You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Polaris closing Oscela WI. plant and moving to Mexico
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

PolarisPete
Posted 2010-05-20 9:13 PM (#60282)
Subject: Polaris closing Oscela WI. plant and moving to Mexico

Puddle Jumper

Albertville Mn
Live from Fox news Polaris announces that they will close the plant that makes the Victory engines and other American built engines along with other Polaris/ Victory Parts and moving some of it to Mexico and some of it to other Polaris plants. I will seriously have to rethink any future decision regarding buying another Polaris product if they move to Mexico. The reason I bought Polaris and Victory products is the fact that they are from the USA and especially from my home state of Minnesota . This Sucks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-05-20 9:17 PM (#60283 - in reply to #60282)
Subject: Re: Polaris closing Oscela WI. plant and moving to Mexico

Fountain Inn, SC United States
I feel bad for the great workers at the Osceola, WI plant. They worked hard & proud on the engines.

Here's a little more info:
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100520-716361.html?mod=WSJ_la...
candubrain
Posted 2010-05-20 9:27 PM (#60285 - in reply to #60282)

Cruiser

Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
Typical of all big businesses today
Henry Ford figured it out, he realized there was a small market for the automobile, and if he wanted to sell more cars, people needed more disposable income. He immediately gave his workers a big raise, in turn they could buy refrigerators, stoves, etc, those people were able to buy cars, and that's how the whole economy took off.
Todays business lives for the next quarter, they are too stupid to realize they are loosing their market, disposable income is gone and credit is maxed out. But hey, let's give those fat overworked idiots at the top their big fancy bonus every year, Hell we all know they are worth it.

I feel better now
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-20 9:28 PM (#60286 - in reply to #60282)

Tourer

seattle, wa
This is bad news. So now my "American Made" will be "Hecho in Mexico" Anyone wanna buy a Victory Vision? It only pops every now and then.
Bezoe
Posted 2010-05-20 10:00 PM (#60291 - in reply to #60282)

Puddle Jumper

Lakehills, Texas
This will really give the HD lovers something to heckle us about, now I understand the need to come out with the new logo, the old one just wouldn't fit. I for one made my decision yrs. ago to buy a Vic. based on it being AMERICAN, and with all the BS going on with Mexico I would have rather they moved their plant to China! Damn You Polaris!!!!!
baadawg
Posted 2010-05-20 10:02 PM (#60292 - in reply to #60282)

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
I just sent off an email through the Polaris website to let them know my displeasure. Not hard at all. I love to buy American made products, and I know many people in the motorcycling community who do also. It may not mean anything to them now, but if in the future they look for a cause and effect relationship with declining sales and revenue, it might.

Baadawg
2008 Blacked Out Tour Premium
Man314
Posted 2010-05-20 10:22 PM (#60295 - in reply to #60282)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
Not all jobs going to Mexico . . . I live in Spirit Lake, IA and there was a "Help Wanted" sign in front of the Polaris / Victory plant. I heard on radio they are looking to hire welders and general assembly for all 3 shifts. Wife thought she heard they were hiring 200 people . . . I'll watch for the local news. I'm sure they are not building engines here, but production has been ramping up nicely all spring with them working multiple shifts and Saturdays.

Even if some production shifts to Mexico, Victory is still higher American content than HD . . . unless you count all their marketing (though I bet most of the merchandise is made overseas).
varyder
Posted 2010-05-20 10:30 PM (#60296 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I got a few more years to worry about buying another motorcycle. The one I'm riding now has a fuel pump made in China, at least that is what the old one said. I'm figurein' if you wanted a 100% American made motorcycle you'll have to build it yourself from the ground up.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-20 10:35 PM (#60299 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
If the power plant will be Mexican made wow will this be hard to argue with why victory is a great American product. So much for American made.. maybe American assembled?

Edited by Arkainzeye 2010-05-20 10:51 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-20 10:39 PM (#60300 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Wonder if this should be brought up at the AVR..........? MAYBE for the next year it will be called the A/MVR?

BTW, do think the knowledge of a future change had anything to do with their new slogan? Slowly back away from using anything related to being "American"? So when the big change happens, their American slogans aren't easily remembered.? Could there be any truth to that? This leaves such a unpleasant taste in my mouth... once this hits the main stream motorcycle world we all better get some thick skin.... I can see it now...

Edited by Arkainzeye 2010-05-20 10:58 PM
radioteacher
Posted 2010-05-20 11:00 PM (#60301 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I have my Vision. Am I happy about them moving production to Mexico for the engine...No. Will I buy any Victory with Mexican made engine...Sure. If the ride fits me and is reliable...why not. If the quality is the same why should I care.

I live in San Antonio, TX and there are a lot of Maquiladora businesses here and even more products going through here.

Every day I see very long trains loaded with truck frames, car frames, completed cars, trucks and many other goods going North for final assembly and sale.

Look at your Chevys and Fords and other "American" vehicles and will Hecho in Mexico on a lot of parts and components.

Ride Safe
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-20 11:13 PM (#60302 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
It very well maybe the same quality. But they didn't make their foot print in the motorcycle world on July 4th by having a Mexican engine. I remember when I was researching victory's, there was info online about how much MORE AMERICAN made they were over HD. and this was used as marketing to get u.s. buyers to give another American company a shot. I know there is no such thing as a 100% American product anymore. But come on! The beating heart of a Victory! I'd rather them make the freaking frames there than the Heart of my motorcycle. I guess I looked at victory as one of the true last American companies... maybe we can replace our lighted badges with the picture of the taco bell dog? Maybe at the AVR, ride with the Mexican flag hanging off the rack? (Joking)..
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-20 11:15 PM (#60303 - in reply to #60282)

Tourer

seattle, wa
RT, Is that one of the problems with the American economy today? People don't care where it's made as long as they get what they want.
I'm no economist but I would prefer to buy American Made, thats one of the reasons I bought a Victory, it helps our country. I can't point my finger at anyone, I have owned my share of Hondas (including the American made Goldwing) and I have owned two Toyotas. I have never bought a new vehicle except my Victory, and I was proud that it was made here. I know most manufacturers have things built in other countries, like Ford, Chevy, Freightliner, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, and too many others. That doesn't make it OK. Is the USA ever going to have any products made entirely here? Damn this makes me mad!!!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-20 11:26 PM (#60304 - in reply to #60303)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
rwilly - 2010-05-20 11:15 PM

RT, Is that one of the problems with the American economy today? People don't care where it's made as long as they get what they want.
I'm no economist but I would prefer to buy American Made, thats one of the reasons I bought a Victory, it helps our country. I can't point my finger at anyone, I have owned my share of Hondas (including the American made Goldwing) and I have owned two Toyotas. I have never bought a new vehicle except my Victory, and I was proud that it was made here. I know most manufacturers have things built in other countries, like Ford, Chevy, Freightliner, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, and too many others. That doesn't make it OK. Is the USA ever going to have any products made entirely here? Damn this makes me mad!!!

I've been obsessing over the jackpot! Guess what I'm not going to buy.. might as well get a freaking Yamaha raider now. Its 113ci . I'm just pissed... wonder how long victory has been sitting on this bright idea?? You know what? SCREW IT.. FUEL IT! !
donetracey
Posted 2010-05-20 11:46 PM (#60305 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Would it be ok if they moved to Canada? Where most Fords & GM's are made? Be nice to own a Canadian Made motorcycle....
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-20 11:48 PM (#60306 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Is Canada even a real country? LOL
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-05-21 12:01 AM (#60307 - in reply to #60282)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
It will be made in Mexico just like my Chevy? Maybe this is why they had to change their logo from "The new American motorcycle".
donetracey
Posted 2010-05-21 12:23 AM (#60308 - in reply to #60306)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

Arkainzeye - 2010-05-20 9:48 PM Is Canada even a real country? LOL

Trade ya Quebec for Alaska .....

varyder
Posted 2010-05-21 4:26 AM (#60310 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
excess
Webhair
Posted 2010-05-21 7:35 AM (#60315 - in reply to #60296)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
varyder - 2010-05-20 11:30 PM

I got a few more years to worry about buying another motorcycle. The one I'm riding now has a fuel pump made in China, at least that is what the old one said. I'm figurein' if you wanted a 100% American made motorcycle you'll have to build it yourself from the ground up.

You got that right!

Ok - for all you mucsle car nuts... The return of great American mucsle car - Camaro... built in Canada. Need I say more?
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-21 7:42 AM (#60318 - in reply to #60315)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Webhair - 2010-05-21 7:35 AM

varyder - 2010-05-20 11:30 PM

You got that right!

Ok - for all you mucsle car nuts... The return of great American mucsle car - Camaro... built in Canada. Need I say more?

Yeah Government Motors never was one to make good decisions...

its funny to see on Tv where toyota and honda mostly toyota will show their products and then Makes sure they let you know their product is being made here in the U.S. I wonder why they do that?

Edited by Arkainzeye 2010-05-21 7:45 AM
pollolittle
Posted 2010-05-21 9:09 AM (#60332 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Ok all you naysayers! On one hand, sure it is no longer American Made, but what ever is. Are any of you willing to pay 80,000 dollars for a bike or a car that is 100% American made, designed, assembled. Oh yeah, the caveat, is that to get it all done, it will be designed and have the power of a GEO METRO! I didn't think so, think economics!
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-21 9:33 AM (#60333 - in reply to #60282)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Sure, some HD parts are made elsewhere but at least the heart of the motorcycle is built here, and they don't cost 80k.
SongFan
Posted 2010-05-21 10:00 AM (#60336 - in reply to #60282)
Subject: RE: Polaris closing Oscela WI. plant and moving to Mexico

Visionary

Memphis

This is an emotional subject, for sure.  I'd be real interested to see how hard Polaris looked around to try and keep the motors built in the U.S.  We know about Harley threatening to move to Mississippi. 

There is a big aircraft maintenance facility in Blytheville, Arkansas that does contract work on regional jets.  The facility is located at Blytheville Air Force Base, an old B-52 base from the Cold War.  My youngest son just graduated as an Airframes and Powerplants mechanic and interviewed with those guys.  He really liked the company and the guys but it would be a 100 mile commute and the starting pay is $12/hour.  Now, who's going to work for $12/hour?  Not me or you, that's for sure.  But there is a workforce out there that can afford to do that.  It would not be a job that you could bank on for long term stability with plans for supporting a family, but it is a start that would get you experience in a marketable skill for later on.  I can't believe that Polaris can't find a single town in this country that would make it worth their while to keep it here.   

I was taught pretty early on not to bitch about something unless I could offer an alternative to fix it.  Does this suck?  Yes.  Do I wish I could fix it?  Yes.  Do I have an alternative?  No.

Am I going to throw my dealer under the bus because of a corporate decision that they had no say in?  No way.

Luckily for me, my '08 Vision is the last bike I was planning to ever buy anyway.  It will now be even more iconic.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-21 10:32 AM (#60344 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Probably doing it for tax breaks. Where I live Sony got a 15 or 20 year tax break for bringing jobs here. The tax break is gone and so is most of the workers.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™