You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Polaris closing Oscela WI. plant and moving to Mexico
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

radioteacher
Posted 2010-05-21 10:39 AM (#60347 - in reply to #60303)
Subject: Re: Polaris closing Oscela WI. plant and moving to Mexico

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
rwilly - 2010-05-20 11:15 PM

RT, Is that one of the problems with the American economy today? People don't care where it's made as long as they get what they want.

Is the USA ever going to have any products made entirely here? Damn this makes me mad!!!

rwilly,

I really do not express myself very well when I type.

It is not that I do not care, it is that I do not have a choice. Not having a choice really upsets me but what can I do? I really love riding.

Walk? Darn, even there I have very little choice. The only American footwear I own are my new Chippewa's and the older Red Wings.

I have to deal with the world the way it is not the way I wish it to be.

I shudder to think what the price of the Vision or the Ultra would be if every single part of the bikes were made in the USA.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
radioteacher
Posted 2010-05-21 10:48 AM (#60350 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Check out the latest news!

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6083
radioteacher
Posted 2010-05-21 10:50 AM (#60351 - in reply to #60282)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I was really wondering what a V-Twin built South of the border would sound like starting........now I will never know.

Edited by radioteacher 2010-05-21 11:14 AM
Lojak
Posted 2010-05-21 12:04 PM (#60363 - in reply to #60282)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
A message from Victory's corporate office for all Victory Riders:

Victory Motorcycle Production to Remain in United States

Yesterday [5/20], Polaris announced a realignment of ourmanufacturing operations that included the eventual sale or closure of theOsceola manufacturing operations. Questions have been raised about how thisaffects the manufacturing of Victory Motorcycles, including our Freedom V-Twinengine. Victory Motorcycle assembly will remain in our Spirit Lake, Iowa,facility, and assembly of the Freedom V-Twin engine will now join it there.This allows us to have all Victory manufacturing and assembly in a singlelocation. It?s still an American-made motorcycle. We have planned investmentsgoing into the Spirit Lake plant as it becomes the Victory Motorcycles Centerof Excellence. We recognize that it is difficult news for our Osceola employeesand we will make every effort to ease the transition. All employees impacted bythese moves will be treated with the fairness and respect they deserve.
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-21 12:13 PM (#60368 - in reply to #60347)

Tourer

seattle, wa
radioteacher - 2010-05-21 8:39 AM

rwilly - 2010-05-20 11:15 PM

RT, Is that one of the problems with the American economy today? People don't care where it's made as long as they get what they want.

Is the USA ever going to have any products made entirely here? Damn this makes me mad!!!

rwilly,

I really do not express myself very well when I type.

It is not that I do not care, it is that I do not have a choice. Not having a choice really upsets me but what can I do? I really love riding.
Walk? Darn, even there I have very little choice. The only American footwear I own are my new Chippewa's and the older Red Wings.

I have to deal with the world the way it is not the way I wish it to be.

I shudder to think what the price of the Vision or the Ultra would be if every single part of the bikes were made in the USA.

I don't express myself very well in print either.
I agree with you about dealing with the world as it is, not how we want it.
But I am going to try and teach my son that we can make a difference, we can change things.
When it comes to Big Business the only way to change it is from the inside.

OK, I can relax now...breathe....
iluvink
Posted 2010-05-21 12:34 PM (#60371 - in reply to #60282)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
For me, if I could have a Vision that 1)the saddlebags were tight and straight, 2)radio that sounded good and picked up stations well, 3) filling up with gas didn't have the possiblility of creating a gas leak, 4) a trunk that didn't rattle...etc..etc..and it was either partially/fully made outside or inside the US, that would be fine by me.
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-05-21 1:36 PM (#60377 - in reply to #60282)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
So what exactly is moving to Mexico? Engine component manufacturing? Based off Lojak's response from Victory, this is what it sounds like.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-05-21 2:03 PM (#60379 - in reply to #60282)
Subject: RE: Polaris closing Oscela WI. plant and moving to Mexico

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Robert Pandya (their marketing/PR agent) gave me the following words followed by the OFFICIAL News Release.

Hello all - I'm writing you via bcc to follow up on yesterdays Polaris press release stating the coming re-organization of Polaris and Victory production facilities in Osceola, WI. I wanted to clarify that Victory Freedom V-Twin engines ? a proprietary and original design for the Victory brand - will be moved to the Spirit Lake, Iowa, USA plant in 2011. This will in fact put Victory production and assembly at one facility greatly assisting in production timing and response. Victory motorcycles are still American Motorcycles ? if you don't think so I would suggest not yelling your opinion out in the cafeteria in Spirit Lake! The Polaris press release yesterday was not completely clear in this matter, and as it's an emotionally charged one on both sides of our business - internal and consumer - there has been lots of mis-information rattling out there and as you are part of the motorcycle industry or have somehow touched on the brand in the past year, thought it best to make a clear statement to you.

For those of you yet to see the press release - it is included below. Thanks for your continued support and enthusiasm for Victory Motorcycles as the Polaris brand grows into a more broad global Powersports brand.

Have a good weekend - I hope you go for a ride somewhere!

Robert Pandya

------------------------------------------------------------------------
News Release
Polaris Industries Media Contact: Marlys Knutson
2100 Highway 55 Phone: 763/542-0533
Medina, MN 55340-9770 marlys.knutson@polarisind.com

Investor Contact: Richard Edwards
Phone: 763/513-3477
richard.edwards@polarisind.com

POLARIS TO REALIGN MANUFACTURING OPERATIONS
Realignment expected to improve long-term competitive positioning resulting from logistical and
production cost savings while expediting delivery times

MINNEAPOLIS (May 20, 2010) - In an effort to improve its long-term competitive positioning, increase
operational efficiencies and position the company for future growth, Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) today announced plans to realign its operations and refocus on its core strategic manufacturing processes. The Company will create manufacturing centers of excellence for Polaris Products by enhancing the existing Roseau, Minn. and Spirit Lake, Iowa, production facilities and establishing a new facility in Mexico.

The Company is currently evaluating several possible locations in the Monterrey/Saltillo area of
Mexico for the new facility. The realignment will lead to the eventual sale or closure of Polaris' Osceola,
Wisconsin manufacturing operations over time. The realignment allows the Company to dedicate capital for strategic investments in painting, welding and assembly operations by outsourcing certain non-strategic component manufacturing processes. The Mexico facility is expected to maintain Polaris' industry leading quality while improving the Company's on-time delivery to customers and provide significant savings in logistical and production costs.

"While this was a difficult decision for us, given the impact on our employees at the Osceola
facility, we believe the creation of these manufacturing centers of excellence will strengthen our company over the long-term and enable us to maintain our lead in a competitive market," said Scott Wine, CEO, Polaris Industries Inc. "Pursuing opportunities in new markets outside the United States, while concurrently evaluating our cost structure to improve our long-term competitive positioning are key components to our growth strategy. This decision was based on a thorough review of our worldwide operations and will allow us to improve our ability to meet the quality, delivery and cost standards desired by our dealers and customers."

The realignment of Polaris' manufacturing footprint will strengthen the Company's position in
the powersports industry, as it will enable Polaris to have production facilities closer to customers in the
southern United States and global markets the Company currently serves or expects to serve in the future. When the manufacturing realignment is completed the Company will have capabilities to manufacture ORVs (both ATVs and side-by-side vehicles), which represents more than two-thirds of the Company's sales, in multiple locations depending on customer demand.

Snowmobile assembly will remain in the Roseau facility and Victory motorcycle assembly will
remain in the Company's Spirit Lake facility. As part of the manufacturing realignment, certain Osceola
manufacturing processes will be moved into the Roseau, Spirit Lake and Mexico facilities to more effectively utilize Company resources.
In addition, certain manufacturing processes and equipment are intended to be sold to suppliers whom will continue to supply components to Polaris. Other non-strategic component manufacturing operations currently performed in the Osceola facility will be outsourced. The realignment will begin immediately and is scheduled to be complete in 2012. The Company will look to have the new production facility in Mexico operational beginning in the first half of 2011.

Polaris is currently in negotiations with several suppliers to sell certain non-strategic component
manufacturing processes and equipment in the Osceola facility. If successful, Polaris' intent is that the
suppliers will continue to manufacture these components in the current Osceola location. Polaris will operate
the Osceola manufacturing facilities during the transition period. Upon completion of the transition, Polaris
will provide the affected employees severance benefits and work closely with the Wisconsin Department of
Labor and other state and local agencies to offer employment assistance and other services.

The Company expects to record pretax transition charges to its income statement in the range of
$20 million to $25 million and incur capital expenditures up to $35 million over the next few years related to
the implementation of the manufacturing realignment. The Company expects the Osceola facility exit costs,
comprising largely of one-time employee termination benefits, to amount to approximately a third of the total
transition charges, while the start-up costs related to the new Mexico facility and other centers of excellence
will comprise the balance. Transition charges to be incurred in calendar year 2010 are expected to be in the
range of $8 to $10 million. The Company's current earnings guidance of earnings per share of $3.48 to $3.60
for the full year 2010 will not change as a result of this announcement. The realignment is expected to
generate pre-tax costs and expense savings in excess of $30 million on an annual basis when the transition has
been completed. The Company expects to begin realizing some of the cost savings as early as 2011.

rwilly
Posted 2010-05-21 2:48 PM (#60384 - in reply to #60282)

Tourer

seattle, wa
The highlighted part says the "assembly" will remain in Spirit Lake, while certain Osceola "manufacturing" processes will be moved to Roseau, Spirit Lake, and Mexico.

I could be wrong but I thought I saw in the original statement that the Victory Motorcycle engine was going to be manufactured down in Mexico.

It's a touchy subject and we will all find out the truth soon enough. I hope that the engine is manufactured and assembled here in the states. I know there are many foreign parts in everything that is "Made in America", but I prefer to keep it to a minimum.
Man314
Posted 2010-05-21 3:17 PM (#60391 - in reply to #60282)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/6993/Motorcycle-Article/Victory-Mov...
sdranger
Posted 2010-05-21 3:38 PM (#60392 - in reply to #60379)

Puddle Jumper

Jedi Jeff - 2010-05-21 2:03 PM

Robert Pandya (their marketing/PR agent) gave me the following words followed by the OFFICIAL News Release.

I wanted to clarify that Victory Freedom V-Twin engines ? a proprietary and original design for the Victory brand - will be moved to the Spirit Lake, Iowa, USA plant in 2011. This will in fact put Victory production and assembly at one facility greatly assisting in production timing and response.

Read the follow up: production and assembly at one facility.
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-05-22 8:54 AM (#60456 - in reply to #60282)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
I work for a global company, HQ'd in beautiful Downtown, Cleveland OH. However, we have operations all over the world. I understand Polaris' decision to do this. My daily driver, a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, seems like "an American car." However, further research shows that, it too, is manufactured and assembled in Mexico. Ford did this to have a more central place to distribute the car. Having said this, where do you draw the line with "Made in the USA?" Sure, Honda makes the US version of the Accord right here in Ohio.... But ultimately the money goes back to the mothership in Japan. My ONLY concern is the potential displacement of folks in the Osceola plant. Polaris, I know it comes down to economics, but take care of those folks. They helped to make you the company you are today. Relocation packages or good, long-term severance packages to get these folks thru the troubled economy would be the right thing to do. Sure you have shareholder value to prove. Stand up for what is right and you will gain a lot of respect in every community.
GURNZ
Posted 2010-05-22 10:29 AM (#60461 - in reply to #60456)

Cruiser

Spfld, IL but temp Bay area, CA
After all this discussion, it appears our bikes and motors will continue to be built in the US. Like many here, the fact that Victorys were US built and not H-D, was the prime factor in buying Vics. I had been a Dodge truck guy for years but needed to upgrade to at least 3/4 ton for towing this past winter. You cannot find a Dodge diesel 2500 or 3500 that is NOT made in Mexico. I ended up getting an F250. My mom was looking at new cars and we thought the Fusion hybrid would be a great idea-but made in Mexico so no way we would buy that. I would much rather purchase a US built Toyota or Honda than a Mexican built so called American brand. I'm glad I have my US built 03 TC and 08 Vison. If Vic ever does move production to any country other than the US or Canada, they will flat lose any chance of selling me a new bike.
lonestarmedic
Posted 2010-05-22 1:15 PM (#60466 - in reply to #60282)

Puddle Jumper

San Antonio Texas
So, in this economy the move will put a huge burden on Wisconsin. Now I understand that Wisc. has brought much of this on themselves. However, Polaris should have stayed north of the Rio Grande!!! I am sure that many towns and areas in Texas would have given breaks for a new factory.

Bottom line: My hard-earned money and I spend it as I wish. I am going to re-think my future motorcycle purchase. I finally have a good downpayment saved. It took me over a year to do so. Do I want that to go towards Victory so that that division's profits fuel a new plant in Mexico? Not an existing plant, but a brand new facility from the ground up.

So, the engine and bike will be ASSEMBLED in Iowa. Probably from parts cast and finished in Mexico. I don't mind the move as much as the huge workforce that is being shafted.

I guess I will look at other touring bikes and make a hard decision. I love the Vision. Best I have ridden.
However, is that worth the unemployment line for others. No, my one purchase cannot stop the move. However, it may make me feel better.

For all of you with a Victory, and those thinking of purchasing a Victory please think long and hard on your choice. I know I will.

JB

Edited by lonestarmedic 2010-05-22 1:17 PM
phoenix9
Posted 2010-05-22 3:45 PM (#60475 - in reply to #60282)

Cruiser

Litchfield Park, AZ
lonestarmedic,

If this move has made you re-think Victory, then what are you going to move to? No other mass producer on the planet has as much American parts and assembly as the Victory motorcycle brand. You gonna buy Honda, Yamaha, Harley? none are as much American as Victory.....or are you going to build it yourself?
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-22 6:49 PM (#60481 - in reply to #60475)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
phoenix9 - 2010-05-22 3:45 PM

lonestarmedic,

If this move has made you re-think Victory, then what are you going to move to? No other mass producer on the planet has as much American parts and assembly as the Victory motorcycle brand. You gonna buy Honda, Yamaha, Harley? none are as much American as Victory.....or are you going to build it yourself?

if he and others want to leave before of a work force being moved and someone says well they all do it.. then i guess they next standard too look for if not "american made" would be how many local shops and SERVICE... is there any brand out there that has More dealers than victory? or more accessories in Stock along with oem parts? who would that be? (IF) victory even removed their Americans from the work force then i would go for who would have my back if i broken down in the middle of no where. withiout having to find a dealer 100 + miles away
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™