You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Boycott Polaris/Victory
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Jim Millington
Posted 2010-05-21 3:06 PM (#60385 - in reply to #60316)
Subject: Re: Boycott Polaris/Victory

Cruiser

Cold Lake Alberta Canada
As a Canadian I don't feel the same patriotic let down by the resent Polaris announcement. I do know that the world economy is suffering on all sorts of fronts. Try being in the oil busness up here in Canada. I guess the big thing I have to remember is that my bike is an extra in life not an essential part of life. The employees at the plant to be closed I feel deeply for thier loss and hope that Polaris / Victory really tries to relocate or help those that are being left behind. This announcement does not effect my bike or the support system supplied by Victory. I just hope that the company makes the moves that keeps them viable and producing bikes and dealers well into the future.

I do agree that a boycott only hurts the people that you don't want to hurt.

I would take a bit of a lets see what really happens and go (react) from there.

Just my humble opinion.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Man314
Posted 2010-05-21 3:12 PM (#60387 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/6993/Motorcycle-Article/Victory-Mov...
varyder
Posted 2010-05-21 3:47 PM (#60393 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Hey, maybe the ATV move to Mexico is to help more illegals cross our borders and thus helping to keep our economy moving... sorry, my sarcasim gets the best of me at times....
baadawg
Posted 2010-05-21 7:35 PM (#60412 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
I still love my bike. The Victory brand motorcycles will still be made in the USA. Therefore, I can still be proud that Victory is an American company. Polaris, however, the parent company of Victory is choosing to make some of it's other Polaris products in Mexico. I am disappointed in that, since I believe losing one more facility from our manufacturing base hampers our fragile economic recovery. I wrote them last night and they responded to my email the today. That's being responsive to the needs of the customer. In their response they stated:

"This realignment will create three centers of excellence for manufacturing Polaris Products. We will invest significantly in our Roseau, Minn. and Spirit Lake, Iowa plants, and establish a new manufacturing facility in the Monterrey/Saltillo region of Mexico. Speed of delivery is a key competitive advantage; the Monterrey/Saltillo region of Mexico best meets our needs to be closer to our customers in the southern half of the United States and other emerging markets across the globe. By creating a manufacturing facility closer to a key customer base, we can lessen the impact of rising logistical costs, such as shipping and fuel. Our toughest competitors have moved to lower-cost markets and closer to customers and so must we to ensure the long-term strength and security of this company. But for the same reason that it makes sense to have a facility in Mexico, it also makes sense to keep a strong manufacturing presence in the Midwest, as North America remains our primary market.

As with any change, quality is of the utmost importance and we can assure you this move will be managed and executed so that Polaris maintains or enhances our ability to meet the quality, delivery and cost standards and expectations of our customers. When the realignment is complete, we will have capabilities to manufacture ATVs and Side-by-Side products in multiple locations while snowmobile assembly will remain in Roseau and Victory motorcycle assembly will remain in Spirit Lake. We will use all of the quality systems and tools currently practiced at our operations to ensure market-leading products."

Logistically, if overseas shipping is a part of the equation, consider the proximity of the ocean to Monterrey.

I don't know if most ATV riders must have "Made in America" stamped on theirs, but I'm happy my Victory will still be MADE IN AMERICA.

Baadawg

'08 Blacked Out Vision
Victorywldr
Posted 2010-05-24 1:39 AM (#60564 - in reply to #60316)

Cruiser

Estallar POLAR
kevinx
Posted 2010-05-24 6:17 AM (#60566 - in reply to #60412)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
baadawg - 2010-05-21 8:35 PM

"This realignment will create three centers of excellence for manufacturing Polaris Products. We will invest significantly in our Roseau, Minn. and Spirit Lake, Iowa plants, and establish a new manufacturing facility in the Monterrey/Saltillo region of Mexico. Speed of delivery is a key competitive advantage; the Monterrey/Saltillo region of Mexico best meets our needs to be closer to our customers in the southern half of the United States and other emerging markets across the globe. By creating a manufacturing facility closer to a key customer base, we can lessen the impact of rising logistical costs, such as shipping and fuel. Our toughest competitors have moved to lower-cost markets and closer to customers and so must we to ensure the long-term strength and security of this company. But for the same reason that it makes sense to have a facility in Mexico, it also makes sense to keep a strong manufacturing presence in the Midwest, as North America remains our primary market.

As with any change, quality is of the utmost importance and we can assure you this move will be managed and executed so that Polaris maintains or enhances our ability to meet the quality, delivery and cost standards and expectations of our customers. When the realignment is complete, we will have capabilities to manufacture ATVs and Side-by-Side products in multiple locations while snowmobile assembly will remain in Roseau and Victory motorcycle assembly will remain in Spirit Lake. We will use all of the quality systems and tools currently practiced at our operations to ensure market-leading products."

What a steaming load of crap. Just google the planned location and it is obviuos that the logistics line is a lie. The location is hundreds of miles form the closest coast, and no closer to most Southern states then it current location. The only lines that carry the ring of truth to them are....well it is all crap. Our gov needs to look at how bussiness is taxed out of the country, and take steps to fix it
RedRider
Posted 2010-05-24 1:21 PM (#60601 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

It's amazing who will finally get up and rant and rave on misinformation. How much you want to bet not one state would offer Polaris/Victory a tax break UNTIL they stated "we may be looking out of the U.S.of A."? Now instead of giving all the tax breaks to foreign companies they have to look good to their voters and offer a deal.

"before I support China/Russia/Africa/Mexico" Your point? None of those countries bombed Pearl Harbor. O.O China helped the surviving Doolittle Raiders and as "pay back" Japan exterminated 250,000 men, women and children. More than both atomic bombs. Everyone can whistle the tune from "The Bridge over the River Kwai" but can you tell us how many POWs died building it?

The true point is to vote politicians into office that do what we want not what their "bed partners" want.
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-05-24 9:00 PM (#60656 - in reply to #60566)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
kevinx - 2010-05-24 5:17 AM
Our gov needs to look at how bussiness is taxed out of the country, and take steps to fix it

I thought that was one of Obama's campaign fronts. I seem to recall his plan for taxing companies that were outsourcing in order to negate the benefits of paying less salary. Maybe I misunderstood what he meant... I don't want to turn this into a political rant but I sure haven't heard anything else about this since the election.
farlz
Posted 2010-05-24 10:20 PM (#60666 - in reply to #60316)
Subject: RE: Boycott Polaris/Victory

Cruiser

Okotoks, Alberta
I have to wonder which vehicle of any type is still 100% made in USA. The US just bailed out the auto makers with billions of cash yet they still build vehicles in Mexico and get parts from all over the world. And dont try to say that Harley is a US bike. They have been running Showa (japan) forks for years, and all the merchandise that they sell (clothing, pots, pans etc) promoting American made is all made elsewhere. Oh I just thought of an All American motorcycle-Indian oh never mind they went broke... again. We live in a Global market might as well get used to it. My 2 cents.
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-05-24 11:56 PM (#60670 - in reply to #60666)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
farlz - 2010-05-24 9:20 PM

I have to wonder which vehicle of any type is still 100% made in USA. The US just bailed out the auto makers with billions of cash yet they still build vehicles in Mexico and get parts from all over the world. And dont try to say that Harley is a US bike. They have been running Showa (japan) forks for years, and all the merchandise that they sell (clothing, pots, pans etc) promoting American made is all made elsewhere. Oh I just thought of an All American motorcycle-Indian oh never mind they went broke... again. We live in a Global market might as well get used to it. My 2 cents.

Ha ha ha Indian. If I recall correctly, the last guy who tried to resurrect Indian was an Italian businessman. One of the first things that I noticed about my latest new truck was that the window sticker showed it was assembled in Guadelajara (spell?), Mexico. So there I was, feeling like a patriot until... However, quality wise: It could be worse. I could have bought a car made in Korea. I would gladly own a Japanese or Mexican made vehicle over one that was made in Korea, Taiwan, etc. Us guys looking for a purely American-made vehicle have essentually ran out of options unless we are willing to buy an antique or fabricate one. That being said, I have been planning a panhead project for this reason. Really, the only thing left that is 100% American made is the currancy that the US Treasory makes... And I'll bet anyone $1Million of that cash that the automated equipment for making the USD is produced in a foreign country (Wago automation, Allen-Bradly PLC components, etc.). In fact, I can't really think of anyone in the USA that makes electronic components anymore. Motorola, Bell, G.E. etc. used to but then they outsourced as well.
dollarbillwi
Posted 2010-05-25 6:40 AM (#60681 - in reply to #60566)

Cruiser

West Bend, WI
An email from Dan at Polaris.....

I know with the HD moving operations from Milw. There were hopes that there would be some heartburn from their customers that would equate to addition Victory sales.

Good News!!!

Victory is not moving to Mexico!! (Never was)

The media did us no service in how they reported the Oceola issue.

If anything it should improve the quality and efficiencies of our product because we are moving the engine assembly to Spirit Lake!!!

Not trucking engines to SL etc. saves costs.

Now the whole bike will be built in Spirit Lake! Specialized focus on Victory only at this plant! No Rangers etc. on an adjoining line.

We need you to get this word out to all!!

I am waiting for a clarified answer in a more concise form fro corporate form and will pass on.

Give me a call and I can explain all of the details on Polaris's decisions.

Thanks, Dan......

glighto11
Posted 2010-05-25 7:17 AM (#60683 - in reply to #60316)

Iron Butt

Central New York

NOT TO WORRY! When all the "Big Government" types finish having they're way, and we become just another third world cog in the "New World Order", and our labor rates get down to the world minimum wage, maybe $400.00 a year, all these companies will move back.

Then we will have our "American Made". Of course we will desire a fancy "Italian" or "German" machine!

BostonVaughn
Posted 2010-05-26 8:16 PM (#60847 - in reply to #60316)

Puddle Jumper

Middleboro Ma
I believe the "carrot" for all these companies to leave is from Washington. Our elected officals have opened the door for them to leave. Our enviromental laws are so strict that it would be silly to stay. Yet we elected these people as if we would die if they were not there. Still mad---reseach the issues and find a canidate who will not vote the party line but the American line. Then vote 'em out if they do not perform.
IndyVision
Posted 2010-05-26 8:49 PM (#60856 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

I was at a machine demonstration a couple years ago. There was a slide show showing how manufacturing outside the US is not as cheap as it sounds. You have long lead times, you cannot adjust to market and customer demands quickly, quality is not as good, sending management to address production and quality issues is extremely expensive, and last but not least, the workforce both hourly and salary are realizing how underpaid they are so that cost is going up. The anticipation was in 10 years manufacturing would be returning to the US because it will be cheaper. Now here's the kicker, the presentation was done by a Japanese company.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-26 8:52 PM (#60857 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
your U.S. government is using German software, European vehicles for the Army, outsourced the U.S. ports to foriegn contractors, and I could go on. We'll do well if we get to keep our land...
VaParadox
Posted 2010-05-30 10:36 AM (#61088 - in reply to #60316)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
just a thought. lets say 20,000 Americans who own Victory Motorcycles presently read an article about the company moving outside the US and decide that these 20,000 people "boycott" the company. What exactly will these 20,000 men and women who already own the product be boycotting for? 1. Dont buy a bike? you already have one. 2. Dont buy repair parts? fine dont ride your bike ...............
Boycotts are actions initiated by very large groups of individuals who typically want or need the product. For people already settled into the product, the only benefit you are doing is well.............nothing. For those who make rash stupid decisions and think "fine, it pisses me off, and I will just sell my bike....that will teach Polaris",,,, now all you have done is sold the bike you love to someone else who will enjoy it
Boycotts work for companies who sell aspirin, toilet paper, and other items that the public needs REGULARLY, The only message you are sending would be "wow, they dont like this idea,,,,,,,but so what, they already own our product" Boycotting Polaris will in reality only present a couple of issues that none of you will like. 1. higher prices 2. an even longer wait time for parts and accessories.
I know in my own company, if demand (FOR WHATEVER REASON) slows down, then we slow our manufacturing down as well. Before you initiate any type of "boycott" decide if waiting 6 months for a part for your engine is worth it.
Besides no one even said they are moving outside the US. Enjoy your bike, go for a ride, seriously boys and girls we have FAR
FAR greater worries right now then this. Move your passion to something like the oil spill, which will effect each and every one of us. If your only thought so far is "how expensive will my shrimp be", then you have no clue whats going on.
Ralph
Posted 2010-06-07 9:47 PM (#61705 - in reply to #60316)

Puddle Jumper

I ride an HD and hope to be riding a Vision soon. HD out sources alot, including their clothing. Before I would jump to the other foreign mfrs. I would think twice. Look at Honda. They were so proud of the Marysville plant in Ohio and as soon as their economy started to falter what did they do? They closed the Wing line and took it back to Japan. This move wasn't because of quality issues, lack of sales, etc. in my mind they wanted to bolster their economy on home turf and preserve their workforce. Why does a Harley cost $40K+ in Japan? Tariffs. Do we tariff their products...no. I think we should be thankful that HD and Victory are still trying to manufacture as much as possible here in the US. Let's support them and hope it enables Victory to continue to cultivate their dealer network. From everything I've seen in the Victory line (especially the Vision) with respect to design and quality, they are forcing HD and the other lines to continue their quests in improving their bikes. Right now it is a world market and we must try to strengthen our two manufacturers by supporting them and let them know that we are voting with our dollars. Hopefully they will stand up and take note of that.
titanchief
Posted 2010-06-10 2:08 PM (#61911 - in reply to #60670)

Puddle Jumper

Actually Indian has been resurrected and their manufacturing plant is in Kings Mountain, NC. They are owned by Stellican (owners of Chris Craft yachts) and have 2009 and 2010 chiefs and dealers across the country. They make their own engine (PowerPlus 105) but use Brembo Brakes and Baker 6 speed tranny's. They are beautiful bikes, but VERY expensive, especially since they do not have a touring bike (yet).
varyder
Posted 2010-06-10 3:27 PM (#61915 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
TC I'm a fan and love the styling of the old indian. I spent two hours talking with Mike Moses of the Charlotte dealership and got schooled on the Indian. Very informative man and in those two hours he never once put down another bike, or made the Indian more than what it was. He pointed out though, that they are very careful, and they are selling nostalgia, which seems to be going very well. It is not likely that Indian would ever make a touring bike per se. I asked about lowers and he told me right away it wasn't even an option. He was matter of fact when I told him my yearly mileage that the Vision was the bike to have, not the Indian. However, my ultimate dream bike is either to have an old Indian restored, or one of the King Mountains. When I sat on one at the showroom I was amazed at the fit and feel of the bike and found out the seat sits at 26.7, whereas the Vision is 26.5. Also, the pull back and the controls where perfect for me as well.
IndyVision
Posted 2010-06-10 7:27 PM (#61922 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

Did anybody try to help Polaris when they had to get out of the watercraft market? Did the government step in and tariff Yamaha, Kawasaki, ect to help Polaris stay competitive? Was there an American rally to keep watercrafts made in the US? Polaris gave up on watercraft because they could not compete. Is the government doing anything now to help Polaris with the ATV and side by sides? I see commercials all the time from Honda. Is anyone yelling at the guy driving an import SUV pulling a Honda ATV? Worse yet, is anyone yelling at the guy driving an American truck with UAW stickers, American flag stickers on the bumper, harley davidson sticker on the back window, pulling 2 or 4 Honda ATVs?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™