You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Boycott Polaris/Victory
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

PolarisPete
Posted 2010-05-21 7:40 AM (#60316)
Subject: Boycott Polaris/Victory

Puddle Jumper

Albertville Mn
I am going to stand up for MADE IN AMERICA and boycott Polaris. I will let them know how I feel and would encourage everyone else that feels the same way to do the same. Its time to stand up for Americans and our jobs before every thing is outsourced to other counties. Ask yourself this question. When will your job get out sourced ? Here is the email address for Victory victorymailbag@polarisind.com I am going to let them know that I have been a Polaris rider/owner since I was 10. My first Polaris product was a used 1969 Polaris Colt snowmobile. Since then I have bought a lot of new snowmobiles, a four wheeler and three Victory's (over a $100,000 worth)not to mention the used Polaris products that I have bought since that first Polaris colt snowmobile. I had planed on a new Polaris Rush snowmobile in the next year, a Polaris RZR in a couple years and at some point a new Victory soon after that but as of now I have scrapped those Ideas and will switch to other brands. So join Me and stick up for America and for its workers! Spread the word and let them know your disappointed. And yes i know that there are a few of the parts that are not made in America but after all of the hype that Polaris created about the American Made Liberty engines and then to even think about moving them out of the Us is wrong. I know they haven't said where they plan to move the engine production to exactly yet but it sure sounds like mexico is where they plan on moving it to. Feel free to copy this post to other Victory websites other then this one. Lets make a stand!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2010-05-21 8:04 AM (#60320 - in reply to #60316)
Subject: Re: Boycott Polaris/Victory

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I can sort of understand your Rant, but not knowing enough about it, I'm unsure of your reasoning.

Prime example, from a worker in Detroit at one of the big three, he doesn't work during the week like he can, he waits till the weekend to collect his weekend pay and his sunday double pay. Now just doing the math, if the worker is already making $80 an hour regular time, for assembly job work, and then pay him time and a half for Saturday, and the double for Sunday. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be headed to Mexico myself. I now know why my new vehicle price exceeds what I barely made in a year in the military.

Now is that the problem there, I don't know, it is just an example. But if the almighty dollar is what makes your little world go round, and you could save a lot of MILLIONS, what would you do?
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-21 8:16 AM (#60322 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I understand what yours saying.. and it sounds like you surely have the right to do this.. you spent ALOT of $$$ on polaris products! I may be wrong is saying this.. i feel alot of people might be upset because they were sold into the AMERICAN motorcycle theme. The ability to purchase an American made motorcycle without buying a HD.. alot have put up with a crappy dealer network and even some crappy dealers themselves! They did this to be able to say they had an American product out side of the Norm.. (not all but some) Im not a HD fan. but i sure do like their dealer network. now i know HD has alot of outsourced parts as well. but they make up for it in serivce and dealers everywhere you look. where i live there are so many HD dealers i could go to a different one every day of the week with in 60 miles. I like my vision. I ve been VERY proud of buying an american bike in a time of a fragile U.S. economy. But if its just going to be like every other motorcycle maker out there then this RE-opens my choices all over again for my Next motorcycle...
PolarisPete
Posted 2010-05-21 8:21 AM (#60323 - in reply to #60316)

Puddle Jumper

Albertville Mn
While I agree that $80 an hour is a lot of money to build a car, they have cut back in Detroit and reduced there wages so that they could keep the big three going. They also have layed off a lot of people (tens of thousands). So I guess My reasoning is that the people in the Osceola plant don't make anywhere near the eighty dollars an hour that the Detroit people made and I have been proud to own The New American Motorcycle not The New Mexican Motorcycle. We already have too many things that are made in other counties especially china, now they want to take our Newest American Motorcycle to another country? Whats next? When will it stop? What will be left here and Who will buy it? Thats MY Reasoning, the next thing you know they will out source our military but i suppose that would be ok to since no Americans would die for Freedom. Maybe our Freedom will be out sourced next.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-21 8:46 AM (#60326 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
PP, I too appreciate your effort. I would die for our freedom, but much of what is going today started before you and were born. I'm trying to figure out how to boycott Victory but for the life of me I just don't how my friend. Do I buy my next set of tires from the Honda dealer? Your venting on the subject is what must of us do and in the scheme of things the wheels are turning that a boycott alone just won't change. We the people needs to change...
PolarisPete
Posted 2010-05-21 8:50 AM (#60328 - in reply to #60316)

Puddle Jumper

Albertville Mn
Varyder your right but if you don't start somewhere you might as well give up right now if you haven't already.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-21 8:58 AM (#60329 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
rest assure I've not given up but what do you hope to accomplish. I could go into how I support the American economy, but what do I prove? I'm not in Polaris Hq, so I don't know why they've made the business decision the did. If I get that hung up on it, I'll get me an Indian next go around, an old 1943 one!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-05-21 8:58 AM (#60330 - in reply to #60326)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
varyder - 2010-05-21 8:46 AM

PP, I too appreciate your effort. I would die for our freedom, but much of what is going today started before you and were born. I'm trying to figure out how to boycott Victory but for the life of me I just don't how my friend. Do I buy my next set of tires from the Honda dealer? Your venting on the subject is what must of us do and in the scheme of things the wheels are turning that a boycott alone just won't change. We the people needs to change...

So well put.... I did alot of venting lastnight because of this subject.. I felt betrayed? Or maybe just let down by what i thought was the last True American company.. everyone has to admit. we have alot of Pride in out Victorys.. Maybe my "VISIONS" pun intended of Victory were just that... My visions and not the true story of what the company stood for in the first place? Maybe im at fault for making Victory "in my head" something bigger than what it really is? Maybe victorys not to blame, maybe we are? For assuming things based on something maybe we Needed to believe? Ive only been riding for 18-19 years, and this is my First american made bike. So for me i had that warm and fuzzy feeling as i pulled away from the dealership. I felt as it i did something right? ( of course while completely loving the bike) but it was more than just liking the Product you purchased, it was about supporting a greater cause. Or maybe once again thats all just in my head and nothing but a myth in this day and age? on this next sentence im not ranting.. but for my next motorcycle it will not be based on An "American product" as that seems to be a thing of the past and maybe has been all this time.. (whens the new 6 speed 2000cc gold wing coming out?) LOL joking..
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-21 9:09 AM (#60331 - in reply to #60330)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Arkainzeye - 2010-05-21 6:58 AM

varyder - 2010-05-21 8:46 AM

So well put.... I did alot of venting lastnight because of this subject.. I felt betrayed? Or maybe just let down by what i thought was the last True American company.. everyone has to admit. we have alot of Pride in out Victorys.. Maybe my "VISIONS" pun intended of Victory were just that... My visions and not the true story of what the company stood for in the first place? Maybe im at fault for making Victory "in my head" something bigger than what it really is? Maybe victorys not to blame, maybe we are? For assuming things based on something maybe we Needed to believe? Ive only been riding for 18-19 years, and this is my First american made bike. So for me i had that warm and fuzzy feeling as i pulled away from the dealership. I felt as it i did something right? ( of course while completely loving the bike) but it was more than just liking the Product you purchased, it was about supporting a greater cause. Or maybe once again thats all just in my head and nothing but a myth in this day and age? on this next sentence im not ranting.. but for my next motorcycle it will not be based on An "American product" as that seems to be a thing of the past and maybe has been all this time.. (whens the new 6 speed 2000cc gold wing coming out?) LOL joking..

Exactly how alot of us feel. This will be my first and last Victory.
PolarisPete
Posted 2010-05-21 9:47 AM (#60335 - in reply to #60316)

Puddle Jumper

Albertville Mn
rwilly Let them know that! victorymailbag@polarisind.com
Cometman
Posted 2010-05-21 10:07 AM (#60337 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Now changing from The NEW American Motorcycle to FUEL IT! makes sense...
wroman
Posted 2010-05-21 10:07 AM (#60338 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

Gettysburg, 2008 Tour Premium
Maybe repeal NAFTA. Remember that "giant sucking sound". And they thought Perot was nuts.
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-21 10:15 AM (#60339 - in reply to #60335)

Tourer

seattle, wa
PolarisPete - 2010-05-21 7:47 AM

rwilly Let them know that! victorymailbag@polarisind.com

I did. I am pretty disappointed by all this.
varyder
Posted 2010-05-21 10:21 AM (#60340 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
let's take inventory, as I'm happy to stand with those who make all their purchases to help our economy. Nothing burns me more than someone who brags on their "American" motorcycle, then drive off in a Japanese truck sportin' a sticker of the motorcycle company.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-05-21 10:22 AM (#60342 - in reply to #60316)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
Hang in there boys, a statement from Victory is to us is forthcoming:

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6083&pos...
IndyVision
Posted 2010-05-21 10:33 AM (#60345 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

PolarisPete,

Where is your information coming from? Is there an article or web story we can read? I can honestly say I would be stunned if Polaris moves anything outside the US. Each year at the AVR, Victory employees and management hear over and over how much it means to the riders that Vic's are made here in the US. Any former GW's change rides after hearing the Wing isn't made in Ohio anymore?
sdranger
Posted 2010-05-21 10:46 AM (#60349 - in reply to #60316)

Puddle Jumper

According to the other site (VMC) the Victory enginges will be assembled in Spirit Lake IA. The Liberty engines in Roseu MN. Some ATV's ect. will be made in Mexico but those are supposed to be the exports. Who knows I'll wait until Polaris gives a press release and says what's going on.
Rebel
Posted 2010-05-21 11:08 AM (#60357 - in reply to #60320)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
pollolittle - 2010-05-21 9:04 AM

Prime example, from a worker in Detroit at one of the big three, he doesn't work during the week like he can, he waits till the weekend to collect his weekend pay and his sunday double pay. Now just doing the math, if the worker is already making $80 an hour regular time, for assembly job work, and then pay him time and a half for Saturday, and the double for Sunday. I'm not sure that I wouldn't be headed to Mexico myself. I now know why my new vehicle price exceeds what I barely made in a year in the military.

Now is that the problem there, I don't know, it is just an example. But if the almighty dollar is what makes your little world go round, and you could save a lot of MILLIONS, what would you do?

I'm sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but I really feel there needs to be a correction made here. There is no one, and I do mean no one at any of the "Big Three" in Detroit that gets paid an hourly wage of $80/hr. Not even if you add in every single, little, tiny benefit. Not even close, at least if you go by the form I get from my employer every year that lays out my wage and the value of all my beneifits. The figure of $70-80 was first put forth by some think tank as the amount of money that the Big Three paid for labor. This was a sum of all the money they pay out for wages and benefits plus the amount paid for all retirees, divided by the number of current hourly employees. It was our idiot media that picked that up and circulated it as an hourly wage. You want to see an obscene amount of pay? How about Fritz Henderson getting paid $3000/hr by GM? The Republicans tell us that hourly workers need to make "real world wages", like $10/hr, yet the top two executives at each of the Big Three make more than the top 25 Toyota executives combined. What's "real world" about that?

I also take issue with the statement that "he doesn't work during the week like he can, he waits till the weekend to collect his weekend pay and his sunday double pay." First off, the majority of us see very little weekend (overtime) work. The only time we see it when management screws something up during the week and we have to work the weekend to make up for it. Secondly, I don't know what auto plants you're hanging around in, but at my plant we bust ass. You set your pace and then you go. There ain't no time for tom foolery. Most every day I go home exhausted. Are there slackers? Sure, but you show me a work place where there isn't. You poll any work place and there'll be someone that the other workers feel doesn't pull his weight. Just Human nature.

Why does everyone want to shit on the blue collar guy who is working hard and spending his money (usually all of it...) on the American economy instead of getting pissed off at the people who sit isolated in cushy offices and make all the decisions that led us down the path we are on now, all the while collecting pay checks every year that are more than any of us will ever see in our entire lifetimes unless we win some sort of state lottery?
Lojak
Posted 2010-05-21 12:00 PM (#60362 - in reply to #60316)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
A message from Victory's corporate office for all Victory Riders:

Victory Motorcycle Production to Remain in United States

Yesterday [5/20], Polaris announced a realignment of ourmanufacturing operations that included the eventual sale or closure of theOsceola manufacturing operations. Questions have been raised about how thisaffects the manufacturing of Victory Motorcycles, including our Freedom V-Twinengine. Victory Motorcycle assembly will remain in our Spirit Lake, Iowa,facility, and assembly of the Freedom V-Twin engine will now join it there.This allows us to have all Victory manufacturing and assembly in a singlelocation. It?s still an American-made motorcycle. We have planned investmentsgoing into the Spirit Lake plant as it becomes the Victory Motorcycles Centerof Excellence. We recognize that it is difficult news for our Osceola employeesand we will make every effort to ease the transition. All employees impacted bythese moves will be treated with the fairness and respect they deserve.
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-05-21 12:22 PM (#60369 - in reply to #60329)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
Here is the message I sent to the Polaris email address, everyone needs to do the same thing to get the message across. Remember corporate america is motivated by money. They need to understand they are going to orchestrate the end of their company if they go through with this stuff.

"To whom it may concern,

It would be a major mistake on the part of Victory management to move any major manufacturing operations outside the US. Please do a study/survey before making this decision. I'm sure you will find that the "American" brand on this product line is the main reason people have any loyalty at all to the Victory brand. If we see that going away, even in part, mark my words the business will collapse!!"

Come on guys we aren't stirring up trouble, we are just letting them know where their loyal customers stand on this subject.
donetracey
Posted 2010-05-21 1:05 PM (#60374 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
I know this dumb Canuck should stay out of this "Buy American" sentiment. But...
I have lived and worked in the U.S. over my career and have a lot of American friends, and consider Americans to be the most generous and caring of all the world's peoples. BUT....
Americans think like people from an island republic - the only thought that matters is their own. The bad part of that is that we truely live in a "World Economy" now, and 'Made In America' no longer matters. Fact is, almost everything sold in the U.S. has components - major or minor - built in countries all over the planet. So, to me, what matters is using my hard earned money to find the BEST product built that I can afford.
So I bought a Vision - NOT because it was (mostly) built in the U.S.A. - but because it was the best bike EVER (for me).
America sells it's products all over the world. Is it a crime for Americans to spend some of that money buying 'foreign' made products?
Or have Americans given up competing? I hope and pray - NOT !
Instead, be the leader of the new World Economy.
rwilly
Posted 2010-05-21 1:14 PM (#60375 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

seattle, wa
I would prefer to support my countrys people before I support China/Russia/Africa/Mexico.....
varyder
Posted 2010-05-21 1:43 PM (#60378 - in reply to #60316)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'll say this and be done with this thread. (do I hear applause).

Without making a big deal about it, I believe I've support the US economy very well as I spend a lot, I mean I waste a lot of money on stuff. Never been rich, but I just can't keep a dollar. I'm not good at doing my homework so I can't tell you all the ins and outs of where every dollar I spend at what store, or on what product. I've bought one other brand new motorcycle in my life and it was a Honda CB750 and I loved that bike as well. I bought it from a Honda motorcycle dealer in Fayetteville, NC and I'm sure some of the money went back to the mothership Honda. But the dealer had to keep on lights, and pay employees who bought stuff in the local area I'm sure from some of the money in that transaction. I paid interest back to the American bank that gave me the loan and so on. Years ago I drove a Datsun pickup and that ways one of my most favorite vehicles. It was bought used so all the dollars spent on it new went back to mother Datsun years before I bought it. But I'm sure the salesman that sold it to me as well as the dealer used the money right there in Winchester, Va to keep the economy flowing. The only new foreign car I've bought was a toyota corolla in 1999 for my wife and all the blah blah about where the money went applies. All my other vehicles new or used have been American, from Ford to Jeep, or Chrysler. Other stuff include HP computers, Levi jeans, and few other american mainstays. But I do have a sharp tv, sony camcorder and probably a few other electronics from outside the U.S. bought at local stores. But I tend to gravitate toward solid products with dependability, not necessarily how much cheaper they are or where they are from. I'm not trying say yea/nay either way, but I'd have to do some house cleaning and solid research to make sure NONE of my dollars went outside of American, but is that what we are talking about? I'm like Songfan, I don't think I'll be buying any new Victory anytime soon, and suppose if Victory did go to Mexico to build the entire bike, I wouldn't get rid of my Vision. And let's suppose someone tried to bag me on riding a Victory that was made in Mexico, I'd say not mine, except for the fuel pump that was made in China. And lets suppose my Victory needed more replacement parts and they all were made in Mexico, I'd replace them. I could go on, but my point would be, you'll not see me on an HD because I don't like the feel or the way they ride. I'd be hard pressed to find anything that would ever ride like the Vision, and the only other bike I could see myself is an Indian, but for now, I'm satisfied where I am, and were Victory is.

It's not likely a boycott on anyone would change much if there is other circumstances involved but I'm sure it would make some people feel good.

Edited by varyder 2010-05-21 1:45 PM
Man314
Posted 2010-05-21 2:08 PM (#60381 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
Well said varyder!

I live in Spirit Lake, IA. Sign was up Tue or Wed saying "Now Hiring." Don't see that too often now days. They have been working some serious OT for last couple of months. While I feel bad for the people of Osceola, I am happy to hear that this work is staying in the US." Having Victory production under one roof will help to have a better quality, lower cost bike. I know half the plant is dedicated to ATV's . . . maybe some of this stuff is going to Mexico to make room for engine production?? Just a thought. Boycott Victory? That's kind of silly and would only hurt the hard working blue collar folks that work for this company and I'm sure most of us would agree that we wouldn't want to have to ride anything else. Sounds like a good strategic move that will only strengthen the brand and position it for the future.

Look at the job postings I just found . . . look's like a significant ramping up of production: http://www.indeed.com/q-Polaris-Industries-l-Spirit-Lake,-IA-jobs.h...

And this hit the wires a few minutes ago: http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/business/local/article_40c3954c-650...

Stay tuned!
hoosiervic
Posted 2010-05-21 2:43 PM (#60383 - in reply to #60316)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
The news is getting better by the hour! Makes me feel better ;-)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™