You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Handlebar Risers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

space_cwboy
Posted 2008-04-16 7:59 PM (#8607)
Subject: Handlebar Risers

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
I know there have been some discussions on here by others about wanting a little more pullback on their handlebars. After riding mine for a couple of weeks now, I also place myself in that category. It is great to use this forum as a respource, as I have seen pictures of the risers and how the bars attach under the console.

My question is - Has anyone tried to use an aftermarket set of "pullback" risers to help move the grips closer to the rider? If so, could you please provide a source (vendor, maufacturer, part number) of any riser used so I can duplicate?

Thanks to all for making this such a great forum, with just the right mix of technical, entertainment, humor, and knowledge exchange. I've been on a lot of forums for motorcycles, cars, etc., and this one has all the ones I've seen beat by a mile!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
PalmBeachRider
Posted 2008-04-16 8:04 PM (#8608 - in reply to #8607)
Subject: Re: Handlebar Risers

Cruiser

Florida
I'm interested too. However, when I ask about it, I'm hearing that this mod might not be good as it could affect the handling...especially U-Turns. I'm not an engineer...any thoughts?

Edited by PalmBeachRider 2008-04-16 8:06 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2008-04-16 9:59 PM (#8632 - in reply to #8608)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
PalmBeachRider - 2008-04-16 7:04 PM

...especially U-Turns.

U-Turns! PBR, now I'm disappointed with you, I though you above all, the Guru-Gadget guy with all the knowing where your going gadgets, why a U-Turn! You don't do stink'n U-turns do you?
cjnoho
Posted 2008-04-16 10:17 PM (#8635 - in reply to #8607)

Visionary

So Cal
Ive had the center dash off a few times chasing rattles and the handlebars look fairly easy to remove. Finding someone to mock up a pair and staying off of it long enough would be the hard part.
shane6727
Posted 2008-04-17 1:18 AM (#8641 - in reply to #8607)
Subject: RE: Handlebar Risers

Cruiser

Someone on here put ape hangers on their Vision and used risers, so it has been done but I think there was a clearance issue with the center console.

Shane
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-17 12:41 PM (#8655 - in reply to #8641)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
Check out Mike S's thread on this forum "New Vision Handlebars".
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-04-17 5:56 PM (#8680 - in reply to #8607)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
Yep Mudge, I saw the thread for the new handlebars, but in there it stated that the bars would cost around $800!! I'm looking for something that will permit the existing bars to come back an additional couple of inches towards me, like a set of pullback risers to replace the stock risers. There are replacement handlebars that can be found in many places for $40-$100, which I would welcome if made specifically for the Vision, but I cannot justify spending $800 for a set of custom made handlebars.
Mudge
Posted 2008-04-17 6:08 PM (#8682 - in reply to #8680)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
Believe me, I couldn't afford $800 either. Just thought the thread might give some idea of the difficulty involved. I could use a little more pullback also. Maybe Metalguy could take a look and comment on the practicallity of pullback risers. Also wondering if the cables and hoses have enough slack to make the reach; replacing them with longer ones would be pricey and a PITA. I've got 2" pullbacks on my KP, mounted on 8" pullback risers and had to get new brake, throttle and clutch cables from Barnett. I have the Utopia backrest on my Vision and have found that adjusting it so I'm sitting more forward helps the handlebar reach considerably, but I've yet to make a long (more than 100 m.) ride yet so I'm not sure if that alone is gonna' do it.
mike s
Posted 2008-04-17 7:57 PM (#8684 - in reply to #8607)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
A couple of issues you are going to run into here...

First, there are definately some issues with clearance. Pullback RISERS are just not an option. There's just not enough height available under the console. You should, however, be able to use a short riser to mount a standard type of bar, like a mini-ape.

Then, you'll need to find a set of apes with enough spread to clear the center console AND to not interfere with the center console during tight turns. U-Turns are not the only time you'll be swinging the bars full left or right. I'm finding mine hit my GPS a lot more often than I expected.

Which brings bme to the next issue; the GPS. If you have a GPS mounted, you'll not only need to find bars with enough spread to not interfere with the console, but you'll also need to find a set with the right bend, so as to not bump the GPS when the bars are turned.

Finally, you'll have issues with the wiring. The cables have enough play for up to 2 inches of additional pullback (although they won't be able to run directly along the bars), but the wiring will not reach. I would have had to lengthen the wires regardless, but I had to slice in an additional 6 inches to run the wires internally.

I do agree that $800 is an extremely high price for a set of bars. If I would have had to pay that much, there is no way I would have them on my bike right now. I got lucky and we agreed on a price before the work began. I do believe they could be produced and sold for less than $800, but no much. Heck, the chrome bars from Vic are $500.

And aside from the fact that the bars hit my GPS, I am VERY happy with the way they turned out...

space_cwboy
Posted 2008-04-17 8:08 PM (#8685 - in reply to #8607)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
Thanks for the info Mudge & Mike S. I too am planning on purchasing a Utopia backrest, as I have had two back surgeries in one year, and I REALLY want to take comfortable long rides this summer. Looks like the handlebar solution is in the "go fish" category for now, unless someone finds the right aftermarket handlebar that will work on the Vision.

Just a thought, but I wonder how difficult it would be to cut off the stock handlebar down low, just where it begins to turn up and back, and weld in an additional couple of inches, then powdercoat the who set of bars. Although it does not look like the basic handlebar cross section is nice and symmetrical like Mike S's custom bars....... Any thoughts??

Hey Mike S - Do you think if a multi order was presented to the folk who custom built your bars, would the price be a bit more reasonable?
mike s
Posted 2008-04-17 10:12 PM (#8697 - in reply to #8607)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
I could call and ask. The worse they could do is say "Hell NO!!!"

How many folks do you think would be interested? I would, of course, let them know they would need to modify them slightly to allow for the use of a GPS...
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-04-17 11:19 PM (#8705 - in reply to #8607)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
I agree about the modification for the GPS, to ensure that those with a GPS will not be disappointed. I for one would be definitely interested! C'mon everyone, who all is up for a group buy???
atvtinker
Posted 2015-08-26 7:52 AM (#174463 - in reply to #8607)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
They use to make a set of stock bars with 2" more pullback for the Vision. The most you can put under the console as far as a riser is a 1" spacer with a longer bolt. Been there, done that!
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-08-26 5:09 PM (#174464 - in reply to #8607)

Visionary

First off say what year you have.
Vision bars are one piece so you'll have to change bars.
There is only a 1" 1/2 clearance under console so there is no room
V92SC
Posted 2015-08-26 9:58 PM (#174477 - in reply to #8607)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
Witch Doctor sells some 2 up and 1 back that give you an inch of pull back. I think at one point he did a 2 back bar also and for around 425 or 450. Go to the site and check it out and if you don't see what you want call him. He's an easy guy to talk to and will try to work with you a little. IJS.
amessen
Posted 2015-08-27 6:34 AM (#174485 - in reply to #8607)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
I was going to say Witch Doctor is the answer. I got two inch up and two inch back but the last set he had. I think I paid $250 or $300 for them fairly easy to install and I did not have to add to the wires or the lines on the bike they worked great. Makes a ton of difference in the bike for me. also did not effect the U turns as I had problems with the bars and controls hitting my knees at full lock now it is a piece of cake. by the way for those that don't know me I am 6'10" tall and 400 lbs. so bigger is better in my case. Arch
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™