Victory Vision Recall Petition!!!
Spiderman
Posted 2013-08-20 3:24 PM (#143276)
Subject: Victory Vision Recall Petition!!!

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
Attention Victory Owners - Especially Vision Riders....many of you are aware of the fender issue with the Vision. We all agree that Victory needs to recall this front fender and offer the Vision community with a one piece metal version that will not break and lock up your steering. Here is another way to voice your opinion. Victory's response or lack thereof is important to the ENTIRE Victory community. Please go on line and sign this petition....it may help us get the message out to the Executives at Victory: SHARE IT WITH EVERY VICTORY OWNER YOU KNOW!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/victory-vision-fender-recall/

Top of the page Bottom of the page
baadawg
Posted 2013-08-20 3:36 PM (#143277 - in reply to #143276)
Subject: Re: Victory Vision Recall Petition!!!

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
This is past due, glad I didn't think of it sooner!
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-08-20 7:07 PM (#143285 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Go to Victory face book page and complain
if enough of us Post they might do something
opas ride
Posted 2013-08-20 7:18 PM (#143288 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

I sent mine in tonight...Good idea and I hope it has great success...$25 is a small price to pay if Victory has the "balls" to address this serious safety issue...I will be at Dick Scott's Classic Cycles in Livonia, MI. this coming week-end to help with the 2-day demo rides and will talk with anyone willing to listen about this fender problem....I will also continue to encourage any Vision riders/owners that I see to join the movement to get this fixed before someone gets seriously hurt or killed......
XRsteve
Posted 2013-08-20 8:39 PM (#143292 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I signed.........
marcparnes
Posted 2013-08-20 11:01 PM (#143299 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Me too.

Marc
Chef John
Posted 2013-08-20 11:20 PM (#143301 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
I just signed too
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-08-21 12:48 AM (#143305 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I signed. On my 2nd fender already.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-21 7:29 AM (#143314 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I don't know why some people are having to pay to sign this petition. It should be free (was for me).

Anyway, FREE morning bump.
diamonbird
Posted 2013-08-21 8:00 AM (#143315 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
I signed!
XRsteve
Posted 2013-08-21 8:00 AM (#143316 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
I didn't pay either. Way I read it, it seemed was a donation..........
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-08-21 8:40 AM (#143319 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
signed 2 days ago

Once again the request for donation is made by the webmaster. The donation goes towards cost of running the site and its administration.
emanIA
Posted 2013-08-21 8:52 AM (#143320 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Des Moines
Signed. No problems with mine yet, but it most certainly needs to be addressed.
opas ride
Posted 2013-08-21 9:16 AM (#143321 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

As said above, it does not cost anything to sign...The donation is to help fund the web-site that runs the petitions....Keep signing regardless as Victory needs to know about the many un-happy Vision owners out there.....
Spiderman
Posted 2013-08-21 10:42 AM (#143322 - in reply to #143321)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
THERE IS NO NEED TO DONATE ANYTHING...IT ASKS FOR DONATION AFTER YOU SIGN. JUST CLOSE OUT THE WINDOW IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DONATE.
visionman08
Posted 2013-08-21 12:27 PM (#143324 - in reply to #143288)

Puddle Jumper

Port Charlotte fl.
I signed

2008 vision tour model ,41,000 miles
Rammurry
Posted 2013-08-21 12:31 PM (#143325 - in reply to #143276)
Subject: RE: Victory Vision Recall Petition!!!

Cruiser

I signed. Been keeping a eye on mine. Nothing yet.
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-08-21 4:49 PM (#143333 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Which dealers are Victory's big players? If there is anyone out there that has done business with them and has a consumer relationship with them, it might not hurt to see if those dealers became aware and support our petition/efforts.
jb.hatch
Posted 2013-08-21 5:08 PM (#143334 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Phenix City AL.
Signed.
hwy27guy
Posted 2013-08-21 6:26 PM (#143339 - in reply to #143276)

Puddle Jumper

CASHTON, WI United States
Was just thinking. Wouldn't this petition have more balls if it had a place to put the serial number of your bike along with the signature?

Right now Victory has no idea how the hell is signing this petition.

Just thinking out loud......

Hwy27guy
opas ride
Posted 2013-08-21 6:36 PM (#143340 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

Good point, but hopefully the majority of these signers are honest and currently own this motorcycle and want Victory to prevent someone from getting seriously hurt or killed with this fender issue...Personally, I have serious doubts that the decision makers at Polaris/Victory are even aware of this issue and most will probably ignore any conflict or admit any poor design or safety issues with the Vision as most will play "CYA" to protect themselves...Happens all the time in corporate America....Which is a sad thing for those who ride this otherwise great touring bike...
willtill
Posted 2013-08-21 6:54 PM (#143343 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Central Maryland
This whole "Petition" thing is a gimmick. When do they intend to "serve it"? Looks more like it's a good way for you all to "feel good" about yourselves by electronically signing it; and it's a good way for a website to make money.

I signed and whined, but of course not did not donate. Wonder how many "suckers" they caught with the little donation act?
Bigmax
Posted 2013-08-21 7:57 PM (#143348 - in reply to #143276)

Puddle Jumper

Signed and sealed
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-08-21 8:46 PM (#143349 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Fellow Riders

Willtill brings up one good point and one that I will try and she'd light on. Someone within our vision community by default had to have started this petition. Since no sponsor is identified on the petiton's home page, I hope the author will deliver the results. Having a petition present on this site won't get the exposure we all want.

IPetition is the company that provides this service. Like most websites, the hosting of the site and its administration is paid for through virtual advertising. Some websites ask for donations to maintain a service e.g. Petitions. The web service provider has NO affiliation with the petition services they host. For those that are not familiar with providing a service on the web and they see that the site asks for donations, it's very understandable that someone thinks they need to donate in order to have their vote counted. They are NOT suckers just unaware of this business model.

Hope this helps
Spiderman
Posted 2013-08-22 6:51 AM (#143364 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
To ALL - I STARTED THE PETITION. I AM A VISION RIDER. I just sent the following email to top executives and I also sent a link to the petiton to Victory through their Facebook Pages. THIS IS NO GIMMICK. I DID NOT KNOW THAT THEY WOULD ASK FOR DONATIONS AND ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CLOSE THE DAMN PAGE AFTER YOU SIGN - DO NOT DONATE. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WEBSITE. JUST CONCERNED ABOUT OUR SAFETY.

Let me ask you - WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT????

HERE IS WHAT I SENT TO VICTORY/POLARIS THIS MORNING:

Hello Victory Management,

I am sending this email to you on behalf of the Vision Rider community regarding a very important safety issue with the failure of the front (rear plastic part) of the Vision fender. If you are not aware, this is a serious issue that really requires some immediate attention by Victory / Polaris.

I will share my personal experience and then I ask each of you to check out the links below so you can see that MANY others are experiencing the same failure I experienced OR they have inspected their fender after reading the many posts out there and found cracks in the fender.

http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/20731/rear-plastic-front-fender-...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/victory-vision-fender-recall/

Here is my experience: I was leaving my driveway when I heard a "clunk" from the fron of my bike. I thought this was strange and even thought it might have been my trunk lid (another flaw of the Vision) as it does this over bumps. As I drove down my street and approached the intersection, I started to turn to the right as I slowed. I immediately felt the steering lock up to the right and could no longer control the bike. It was by sheer force (and maybe some luck) that I was able to keep from dumping this very large motorcycle. I thought to myself "I wonder if my fender broke". You see, I have been hearing about this for some time as my brother had the same issue a few years back (he owns a 2008 and I own a 2011). Sure enough, as I looked under the bike, the front fender broke loose and jammed into the lower part of the fairing (between the fairing and the battery) and this is what locked up my steering. If you click on the VOG link, you will see the pictures. I immediately thanked God that my 15 year old daughter or beautiful wife was not riding with me (as they frequently do) and that I was not going at full speed when this happened.

So, I started posting about my experience and people came out of the woodwork with the same issue. I have been riding Victory for approximately 4 years (Hammer before the Vision) and I have heard others talk of this issue in the past. Some had their fender replaced under warranty, others had this denied as it was considered "normal wear and tear". Of course Victory, you know this is not the case. This is a serious and chronic issue that you need to address before someone gets seriously injured or God forbid, dies in an accident because of this faulty fender.

The Vision community wants a recall. We want a permanent fix to this problem and the only fix in many Vision Riders opinion is a one-piece, metal fender to replace the two-piece plastic fender.

Currently, Victory is handling these fender failures on a one-off basis. In fact, Victory covered my broken fender and the trim around the fairing that got jacked up because of the fender failure. While I applaud this, IT IS NOT THE SOLUTION. PLEASE RECALL THE VISION AND OFFER A FENDER WE CAN COUNT ON.

I am happy to discuss this matter further over the telephone. Do not send me to Consumer Services - they already have my case file. This is a management issue and the Victory community (not just Vision Riders) are watching to see how you handle this situaition. Read the VOG thread and go to the on-line petition - you will see what I mean. One person who was interested in a Vision decided not to purchase because of this issue. Victory is wasting time by not responding.

Thank you for reviewing the threads and your consideration on this very important matter.

SIncerely,
Bill King
(Spiderman on the forums)

Edited by Spiderman 2013-08-22 6:54 AM
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-08-22 11:36 AM (#143376 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Thank you Bill for being proactive and spearheading this effort. Is there a lawyer among our Vision community that could provide guidance in this critical matter?
taz456
Posted 2013-08-22 2:09 PM (#143382 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Pittsburgh, PA
signed, I have not had an issue yet but I do look when I check the tire pressure. I do no wan this to happen to me or anyone else.
Bigmax
Posted 2013-08-22 4:19 PM (#143385 - in reply to #143276)

Puddle Jumper

@Taz, when you do get around to checking the screws on the inside of the rear fender be sure to use a sharp/bright flashlight and look for hairline cracks around the screw. That is how the problem starts!
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-22 4:25 PM (#143386 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Even better to remove it once in a while. The crack in mine is small. I wouldn't have seen it with a flashlight.
rebelce
Posted 2013-08-22 5:00 PM (#143388 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

On a trip down to the Dragon, I heard a clunk and felt a weird vibration. The right bolt holding in the rear portion of the front fender had fallen out! I got some replacement parts at a hardware store and came on home. The Vic mechanic laughed and said use more locktite. So I bought the correct $6.50 bolt and signed the petition. Love the bike but MaVic is a bitch at times.
opas ride
Posted 2013-08-22 6:04 PM (#143390 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

Very soon, I am distressed to say, that one of this posts is going to report a serious injury or death of a Vision rider due to Victory's lack of response to this very serious safety issue...At first I did not pay much attention and continued to ride my bike..Not so much anymore as this potential safety hazard is constantly on my mind as I ride...I am seriously considering trading my Vision for a F6B Honda or X/C bike so I can ride with more confidence...And "DAMN IT"..I really love my Vision, but not enough to get hurt or killed due to the parent company's apparent lack of concern for its products and rider safety.......
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-22 6:46 PM (#143393 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
The only other Victory model I'd consider is the XCT but my issue isn't with the Vision but with the corporate attitude. If I get rid of my Vision over this, I won't buy any other Victory bike. If they refuse to address this issue, what's to say they won't refuse to address some kind of safety issue with a XCT?
buddahead
Posted 2013-08-22 7:25 PM (#143398 - in reply to #143376)

Cruiser

SF Bay Area
Street Eagle - 2013-08-22 8:36 AM

Thank you Bill for being proactive and spearheading this effort. Is there a lawyer among our Vision community that could provide guidance in this critical matter?

You do not need a lawyer, everyone with the problem just needs to file a formal complain with the federal government...

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
willtill
Posted 2013-08-22 7:37 PM (#143400 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Central Maryland
There are some RETARDED postings going on here; regarding the thought of letting the bike go if Ma Vic doesn't address the issue. IMHO it is very minor and can be EASILY addressed with a reinforcing repair as a temporary (an effective solution) until the wind plays out in the sails with Ma Vic.

Some state that they're going to get rid of your bike over this; is an entirely infantile response to the issue. The Vision is a terrific motorcycle and this little flaw (doesn't happen to EVERYONE) should not be even considered an issue to dump the bike.

So many other motorcycles have issues as well; all of the one's that I have owned or currently owned have had issues; made and known by owners on applicable message boards. You know what? We didn't sit around and wring our hands and yammer for help like a bunch of gawd dammed clueless liberal pansies... we came up with a fix and implemented it.

It's part of owning a motorcycle. Working on it and improving it; recognizing flaws from the manufacturer and besting them at their mistake(s)/shortcomings.

So... some of you need to quit crying like a bitch and address the issue yourself with a temporary reinforcing repair (which has already been discussed and articulated on this board, until ma Vic addresses it (if they ever do). Or if you still cannot fathom what to do; might as well sell it because you really don't warrant ownership of the Vision. Or really any other motorcycle.

Edited by willtill 2013-08-22 7:38 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-22 8:18 PM (#143402 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Retarded? Infantile? Dammed clueless liberal pansies? Bitches? Really?

If it wasn't a safety issue and if Victory addressed the issue it would be different. Clueless? You're the one who's clueless. Hopefully, it isn't you or any of your friends (you do have friends, don't you?) who ends up getting in an accident because of this.

I'm more than willing to spend my money replacing handlebars because the stockers don't quite fit me. I'm more than willing to spend my money having my seat modified because I happen to be in the 2% who are uncomfortable. I shouldn't have to spend my money FIXING anything, especially not a safety issue. That said, I just spent $300 "fixing" the problem (permanently). How many riders either don't know much about mechanics or don't know there's a problem to begin with? If I buy a 20 year old bike, I'm going to expect to fix stuff. Not so much on an 11 month old bike.

"It's part of owning a motorcycle. Working on it and improving it; recognizing flaws from the manufacturer and besting them at their mistake(s)/shortcomings." No, it's not. Owning a motorcycle is about RIDING it, not working on it. If I wanted to WORK on a motorcycle, I would have bought a 20 year old Harley. Did you buy either of your bikes because you wanted to work on them? That bored, I don't wanna be.

"Some state that they're going to get rid of your bike over this..." I said I wouldn't buy another Victory if corporate doesn't address this. It isn't about the Vision (which I think is the best bike I've ever owned), it's about the corporate attitude. The "company", whether it's Victory, Harley or Honda, needs to quickly address and fix any safety issues. Other non-safety concerns should be addressed but it's not critical that a company addresses those ASAP. (Hey, if my cruise control stops working, I can hand throttle it until I get to a dealer to have it looked at.)

Bottom line is that you just don't see the picture. And, you're an ass. (I swear I tried to get through this without stooping to your level but I just couldn't do it.)
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-22 9:25 PM (#143410 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Contraction: the process of shortening a word by combination. So, when I said "you're an ass", I meant "you ARE an ass". I wasn't referring to your posterior.

I got your "message". You think anyone who complains about a safety issue is a retarded bitch (your words, not mine). (BTW, thanks for editing your post.) You also think it's better to work on a bike than ride it.

Lots of things stir emotions in me. Riding my bike stirs emotion, listening to music stirs an emotion and reading a post like yours stirs an emotion.

All of your name calling just shows your level of immaturity. Grow up and go work on your bike.

Edited by Monkeyman 2013-08-22 9:25 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-22 9:41 PM (#143413 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
OK, you win. Apparently, you're so bad ass it just doesn't matter what happens to you or anyone else. All you've done is call names. That's not very grown up. You'd think 21 years in the Army would have taught you a bit of respect. You might be a man, but you're not a grown man. Again, grow up.
willtill
Posted 2013-08-23 4:57 AM (#143427 - in reply to #143413)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Monkeyman - 2013-08-22 10:41 PM

OK, you win. Apparently, you're so bad ass it just doesn't matter what happens to you or anyone else. All you've done is call names. That's not very grown up. You'd think 21 years in the Army would have taught you a bit of respect. You might be a man, but you're not a grown man. Again, grow up.

You have to earn respect, to be respected. You fail to attain it.

The fender issue is important and I am expounding on a temporary solution that all can employ; until it is addressed by the manufacturer; if they ever decide to address it. As I've stated before; you can whine about it like a child and do nothing to ensure your own safety in the interim; or you can take steps to mitigate the issue until a permanent one is presented.

IndyVision
Posted 2013-08-23 11:32 AM (#143448 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

There use to be a time on this website when people could disagree, state there point of view, and avoid using profanity, or start thowing out generic profanity laced insults. Seriously, I hope Jedi Jeff reads some of these and other post and takes action. This "friendly" website is supposed to be primarily about the Vision and also cover general topics involving Victory.
opas ride
Posted 2013-08-23 12:26 PM (#143451 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

This kind of BS and fault finding with other riders will not prompt Victory to address this issue as they will see these posts as a real turn-off!!! Come on people, lets act like adults here and deal with this issue the best way it suits our individual needs.....BTW, some of us are not as skilled as others and depend on dealers/techs to take care of our needs so we really have no other choice at this point but to wait for Victory to respond...Hopefully they will!!!
willtill
Posted 2013-08-23 12:34 PM (#143452 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Opa, when I reinforce my rear fender, I'll post pictures and instructions. You will, as well as any others; can take the opportunity to address it yourself while waiting for Ma Vic to address it (if and when they ever will). or you can elect to continue to complain and do nothing about it; until it falls off and kills you.

If it falls off. If it kills you. It may never happen. What can happen though; is your own peace of mind for addressing it yourself.

Remember.... Hope = Wishful thinking without action.

Edited by willtill 2013-08-23 12:37 PM
opas ride
Posted 2013-08-23 2:28 PM (#143458 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

Hey, willtill...I am all for a temporary or permanent fix for this fender...Don't get me wrong I will look closely at any ideas that are brought forward with those that have far more mechanical skills than me...I appreciate your willingness to post your idea/pictures, and having some piece of mind is better than none...What do you think of the rubber grommet insert idea in the OEM fender as a fix until, hopefully Victory comes up with their solution..if any??
willtill
Posted 2013-08-23 2:48 PM (#143460 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Central Maryland
I am not familiar with a rubber grommet insert; that reinforces the attachment point of the fender. I am going to augment the area inside of the fender; around the mounting hole and to the the immediate rear fender of the hole; with yet TBD materiel and an epoxy to hold it in place.

This will spread the stress of those two mounting holes over a much wider area of the fender; which will preclude cracking and break away of the lower fender.

I have 15,000 on my 2011 now... no signs of cracking around the mounting holes. I intend to keep it that way.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bigfoot
Posted 2013-08-26 2:12 PM (#143577 - in reply to #143400)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area

willtill - 2013-08-22 8:37 PM There are some RETARDED postings going on here; regarding the thought of letting the bike go if Ma Vic doesn't address the issue. IMHO it is very minor and can be EASILY addressed with a reinforcing repair as a temporary (an effective solution) until the wind plays out in the sails with Ma Vic. Some state that they're going to get rid of your bike over this; is an entirely infantile response to the issue. The Vision is a terrific motorcycle and this little flaw (doesn't happen to EVERYONE) should not be even considered an issue to dump the bike. So many other motorcycles have issues as well; all of the one's that I have owned or currently owned have had issues; made and known by owners on applicable message boards. You know what? We didn't sit around and wring our hands and yammer for help like a bunch of gawd dammed clueless liberal pansies... we came up with a fix and implemented it. It's part of owning a motorcycle. Working on it and improving it; recognizing flaws from the manufacturer and besting them at their mistake(s)/shortcomings. So... some of you need to quit crying like a bitch and address the issue yourself with a temporary reinforcing repair (which has already been discussed and articulated on this board, until ma Vic addresses it (if they ever do). Or if you still cannot fathom what to do; might as well sell it because you really don't warrant ownership of the Vision. Or really any other motorcycle.

I have no intention of getting rid of SCREAM, but these days I ride mostly alone. 

So you think that a Gerry-rigged band-aid by each and every owner of a Vision to fix a safety issue on a 2 year old $24,000 vehicle is perfectly acceptable?  Well, that's a pretty ridiculous statement by a "gawd damn clueless GOP Tea-Koch-Bagger".  Right back at you, LOL.  And by the way, these guys complaining are not Liberals, but I am.  The 3 main posters on this topic are fire breathing conservatives.  

I'm sure that you would find it perfectly acceptable to through bolted visible strips of metal on your 2 year old car to hold the fender in place.  NOT

I've owned Hondas and put 60,000+ miles on each of them with no need to replace anything but chains, tires, one headlight and lube.

I owned a Suzuki 650 Burgman Scooter that I rode through 31 states while accumulating 38,000 miles on her and only replaced the oil/filter.

So are you saying that we can't make a dependable and safe motorcycle here in the USA?

The plastic that they are using to make this part gets brittle over time.  They need to change the formula or find a different vendor to supply this part.  They could even make it an inch longer so it couldn't fly up and into the fairing.

When you are pulling out into oncoming traffic and you can't turn your 900 pound motorcycle and that 18 wheeler is barreling down on you, maybe you'll change your tune.  I just hope your daughter or wife isn't on the back when it happens.

opas ride
Posted 2013-08-26 3:59 PM (#143579 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

Bigfoot....+1+1+!....Victory needs to address this issue and deal with it ASAP....someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed.......maybe sooner, maybe later...But temporary fixes are not the answer, maybe ok for some, but not for me....JMHO
Spiderman
Posted 2013-08-27 6:00 PM (#143666 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
I was just contacted by Consumer Services at Victory informing me that they will not be recalling the front fender on the Visions. They said their engineers have reviewed the cases submitted and have concluded there is no problem with the fenders and the cracks are considered cosmetic and normal wear and tear. The person went on to say that Motorcyles are mechanical and like anything mechanical, you should be vigilent about pre-ride inspections to ensure the machine is suitable for riding. So, Vision Riders - be sure to check your fenders or re-inforce them like others have suggested. Victory will not be offering an alternative part for this issue because they do not consider it a manufacturing defect or problem.

I am not an engineer, but to expect that people should be checking their front fenders for crack failure seems extreme to me.

I am not surprised by this decision in any way shape or form. I hope that by raising this issue, it may prevent injury or death due to the front fender cracking.
Spiderman
Posted 2013-08-27 6:16 PM (#143668 - in reply to #143400)

Cruiser

Hudson, Ohio
willtill - 2013-08-22 8:37 PM

There are some RETARDED postings going on here; regarding the thought of letting the bike go if Ma Vic doesn't address the issue. IMHO it is very minor and can be EASILY addressed with a reinforcing repair as a temporary (an effective solution) until the wind plays out in the sails with Ma Vic.

Some state that they're going to get rid of your bike over this; is an entirely infantile response to the issue. The Vision is a terrific motorcycle and this little flaw (doesn't happen to EVERYONE) should not be even considered an issue to dump the bike.

So many other motorcycles have issues as well; all of the one's that I have owned or currently owned have had issues; made and known by owners on applicable message boards. You know what? We didn't sit around and wring our hands and yammer for help like a bunch of gawd dammed clueless liberal pansies... we came up with a fix and implemented it.

It's part of owning a motorcycle. Working on it and improving it; recognizing flaws from the manufacturer and besting them at their mistake(s)/shortcomings.

So... some of you need to quit crying like a bitch and address the issue yourself with a temporary reinforcing repair (which has already been discussed and articulated on this board, until ma Vic addresses it (if they ever do). Or if you still cannot fathom what to do; might as well sell it because you really don't warrant ownership of the Vision. Or really any other motorcycle.

Do you work for Victory?
opas ride
Posted 2013-08-27 6:17 PM (#143669 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

Thanks for the efforts put forth by Spiderman and others on this issue and as said above, Victory's decision does not surprise me at all...They have been very non-responsive and non-caring before about customer satisfaction from the beginning.. "Sell em a bike and then to hell with em"..attitude seems to be the norm from several posts over the years on other issues...I cannot speak from current experience as my 2011 Vision has had no major issues since purchase and I hope it stays that way..I suppose I will address the fender issue when it happens or wait for those with ideas for repairs to post on the web-site...Some guys seems to have a pretty good idea how to make the plastic fender more supportive and less prone to cracking....JMHO..PS I hope one of their "engineers" doesn't have the rear fender portion fall off the Vision he may be riding!!!
willtill
Posted 2013-08-27 6:22 PM (#143670 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Central Maryland
No, I do not work for Victory. And it seems that what we all expected has turned out true. We are on our own to address it.
bigfoot
Posted 2013-08-27 7:51 PM (#143680 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
I got a call too.
Nice guy reading from a lawyer prepared script.
"Normal wear and tear".
"Not considered to be dangerous to our riders".

Yeah, thats why I almost crapped my pants because I couldn't steer SCREAM around a corner, because there was no danger.

If a fender falling apart on a 2 year old vehicle is considered to be normal wear and tear by Victory's "engineers", what else should we expect these "engineers" to have designed as "normal wear and tear" items with a 2 year lifespan?

Did these "engineers" get their degrees online or in Jamaica?

I'm keeping my broken fender so I can show the jury what we complained about as a safety hazard during the wrongful death trial that will eventually happen.
Gross negligence.
Kioti
Posted 2013-08-31 12:12 PM (#143881 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Lennox, SD
I got the same prepared statement call, you could tell he was reading a script. He claimed to be a Vision owner and didn't feel the fender was an issue. I asked if he was married and how he will feel when his fender cracks and possibly injured his passenger or himself. He had no comment other than to go back to the script. I guess this will be my last Victory AND I will be talking them down to anyone who asks.

Edited by Kioti 2013-08-31 12:21 PM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-08-31 12:52 PM (#143884 - in reply to #143881)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN

Kioti - 2013-08-31 1:12 PM

I guess this will be my last Victory AND I will be talking them down to anyone who asks.

This will be my last Victory, too, but I'm not talking it down to anyone.  I've been telling people that it's a damn fine motorcycle with a FATAL FLAW.  Then I explain to them what the flaw is.  They can decide for themselves if they want to buy the bike.  I know a couple of guys who were all set to buy a new Vision who have since purchased other bikes (one bought a new Harley Water Hog and the other bought a Gold Wing).  They had the money to "fix" the fender but decided like I (and others) did that it was more an issue of corporate attitude than the actual fender issue.  One said, "If they won't bother with this, what else won't they bother with?".

southjerseyrider
Posted 2013-09-03 5:17 AM (#144045 - in reply to #143884)

Tourer

Vineland, NJ United States
can the black plastic portion be replaced without removing the front tire? 
Boots
Posted 2013-09-03 6:19 AM (#144048 - in reply to #144045)

Tourer

New Mexico
southjerseyrider - 2013-09-03 4:17 AM

can the black plastic portion be replaced without removing the front tire??

Can't tell for sure, but looks like it. See pics in this thread.
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14354&po...

Edited by Boots 2013-09-03 6:19 AM
sarvbill
Posted 2013-09-03 7:06 AM (#144050 - in reply to #144045)

Cruiser

Chesterfield, VA

southjerseyrider - 2013-09-03 6:17 AM can the black plastic portion be replaced without removing the front tire? 

The answer is yes.  Remove the top pins from the back plastic fender, remove the front half and then you remove the back half bolts and slide the rear fender portion out. 

My rear front fender also cracked - on the right side.  I removed it and repaired the crack with some JB weld and then strengthened both sides of the fender using a method similar to Chris (VA Ryder) with some metal strapping.  A few bucks and about an hour of work.  Do I think Victory and Polaris should step up and do the right thing as far as fixing the fender issue - Absolutely.  Will this in anyway sway me from getting another Victory, or talking trash about the bike - Absolutely NOT.

IndyVision
Posted 2013-09-03 11:21 AM (#144059 - in reply to #143276)

Tourer

+1 Bill.

I'm not happy about this issue, and I plan to ask about it at the next AVR. Victory has stepped up to the plate and issued recalls in the past, so I'm suprised at this. If you dig deep enough, I believe you will find all motorcycle companies have had a "fatal flaw" on a certain models that were not addressed. Like I said, I'm suprised Victory hasn't responed to this based on past recalls. Victory issued recalls on the early Visions before I heard anybody post a thread. In 2009, I went to the AVR and had a chance to talk with an engineer about the Vision. I asked about a few items that I had submitted a claim on and there were denied. He told me my claim shouldn't have been denied and that the initial claims go through a service departmentand that screens the claims. He said many of the engineers didn't like the fact that they didn't have direct contact concerning claim information.
Riverdawg
Posted 2013-09-12 1:21 PM (#144420 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Camas Washington
Was at a friends last night who has a 2011 Vision Trike, She was helping me replace my bulbs (small hands) out of the blue she says by the way my back fender is cracked and I taped it up. She has not been paying attention to the VMC forms lately thus she did not know about the issue. She called Polairs of Portland and they are going to charge her to fix. I told her tell them they pay for it and print out all the post going on. As more Visions age this is becoming a major probelm. I also told her to file a complaint with the NSTA.
Cochrane
Posted 2013-09-15 11:44 PM (#144527 - in reply to #143680)

Puddle Jumper

Yep, happened to me today. Read my post. I'm stronger than the average guy and I had to crank my steering pretty hard to make a corner. Damned near ended up under a truck. I'm really pissed that Victory is dodging this. How the hell do they expect to grow in the market place by avoiding what is clearly their issue.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-16 7:00 AM (#144535 - in reply to #144420)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Riverdawg - 2013-09-12 1:21 PM

Was at a friends last night who has a 2011 Vision Trike, She was helping me replace my bulbs (small hands) out of the blue she says by the way my back fender is cracked and I taped it up. She has not been paying attention to the VMC forms lately thus she did not know about the issue. She called Polairs of Portland and they are going to charge her to fix. I told her tell them they pay for it and print out all the post going on. As more Visions age this is becoming a major probelm. I also told her to file a complaint with the NSTA.

yeah if she has a trike she can pretty much forget about Victory ever warrantying anything related to body work (fender) even though we know its a issue, they will say she highly modified her Vision..
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-09-16 12:24 PM (#144551 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Come on guys, this is obviously a wear and tear item. That's why Victory and every other motorcycle manufacturer puts a replacement mileage recommendation in the user manual for front fenders.
Doesn't the pretrip inspection recommendations also state you should remove your front wheel before each ride to inpect you fender for cracking?
I think Vic is well in the right on this, just hope I don't bleed too much sarcasm.
Riverdawg
Posted 2013-09-16 1:11 PM (#144554 - in reply to #144535)

Cruiser

Camas Washington
She got Victory to cover the cost of the fender, guess Victory is doing it on the low-down. However the assH*#e dealership which is Polaris of Portland charged her $50 to fix it even though she was having a new front tire put on. With the tire off its like a 5 minute job. Guess they just wanted to take advantage of someone.
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-09-16 6:26 PM (#144563 - in reply to #143276)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Even with the tire on, it's about a 5 minute job.
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-09-16 6:40 PM (#144566 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

How are you going to report this to Victory?
Cochrane
Posted 2013-09-16 8:58 PM (#144579 - in reply to #144551)

Puddle Jumper

Good one! Funny as hell. If I were a Victory Rep making that statement about normal wear I know my face would turn several shades of red. The local Victory shop here is closed Mondays so I'll go down and talk to them tomorrow and see how far I get.
Cochrane
Posted 2013-09-16 9:28 PM (#144581 - in reply to #143276)

Puddle Jumper

I signed the petition and donated today.
Chef John
Posted 2013-09-16 10:48 PM (#144583 - in reply to #143276)

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
I signed
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-03-22 6:03 AM (#171393 - in reply to #143276)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
so what was ever the outcome of doing this?
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-03-22 6:04 PM (#171405 - in reply to #171393)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2015-03-22 6:03 AM so what was ever the outcome of doing this?

in the front of your owners book is a listing for the national hwy safty tell them thats what we did