New Article: Adding Accessory Power, Speakers & Amp
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2011-09-16 9:13 AM (#96779)
Subject: New Article: Adding Accessory Power, Speakers & Amp

Fountain Inn, SC United States
If you haven't already read it, check out a new article by Paul Guido (aka, Radioteacher) on adding accessory power, speaker upgrades, and the new Rockford Fosgate 4channel amplifier. He includes resource links, photos and installation videos.

http://www.Vision-Riders.com/articles.asp?Article=96691&fid=37

Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2011-09-16 9:42 AM (#96784 - in reply to #96779)
Subject: Re: New Article: Adding Accessory Power, Speakers & Amp

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Good write up. Well done to RadioMasterTeacher! I would like to see more of his lyrics as to how well it performs, louder, clearer, mo betta! Waiting?
Webhair
Posted 2011-09-16 1:01 PM (#96797 - in reply to #96779)

Iron Butt

Peachtree City, GA
I bet it sounds great... I have almost the same setup sitting the garage waiting on me to heal up a little.... Polk DXi525 and the FS Amp... The speakers are in I just need to replace the Alpine 445 amp I have in there now....

Maybe next week.... If I can avoid the wife catching me doing something that I shouldn't...
RedRider
Posted 2011-09-16 2:09 PM (#96804 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

Thanks for the write up.
Would it help putting something like CPU heat sink on the top of the amp? Heat is a monster we all could do without.
So your setup works with the connectors in the trunk so it can be removed like normal.
radioteacher
Posted 2011-09-16 8:40 PM (#96841 - in reply to #96804)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
RedRider - 2011-09-16 2:09 PM

Thanks for the write up.
Would it help putting something like CPU heat sink on the top of the amp? Heat is a monster we all could do without.

I have thought of that. I had two picked out that I was going to mount but all it needed was a little air flow to bring the temp down to a reasonable level.

So your setup works with the connectors in the trunk so it can be removed like normal.

If I remove the trunk, I would have to switch the amp to "2 Channel" mode with the switch on the amp. All else would stay the same. To be safe you could remove the connector that connects to the rear input on the amp.

Webhair,

Take care. It is a great little amp. You will like the results.

Ride Safe one and all.

Edited by radioteacher 2011-09-16 8:44 PM
radioteacher
Posted 2011-10-06 9:59 PM (#98577 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
After a full months of operation all I can say is "Why did I wait so long to do this!!!"

This Amp and Speaker combo is outstanding!

Has anyone else done this yet?

Ride Safe
Lacey
Posted 2012-02-09 3:14 PM (#107334 - in reply to #96779)
Subject: RE: New Article: Adding Accessory Power, Speakers & Amp

New user

I have a 08 vision loaded would like more info on the lighting to make it stop and turn led if I could . Also info to switch to led for the v tail light, just bulbs or other equipment needed. On a budget do not mind getting my hands dirty, thank you for the help.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2012-02-09 7:46 PM (#107347 - in reply to #107334)

Lacey - 2012-02-09 4:14 PM

I have a 08 vision loaded would like more info on the lighting to make it stop and turn led if I could . Also info to switch to led for the v tail light, just bulbs or other equipment needed. On a budget do not mind getting my hands dirty, thank you for the help.

Lacey, first welcome to Vision-Riders. Glad you don't mind getting your hands dirty. Try getting dirty with the Search feature at the top of the forums. There are plenty of threads on converting to LEDs for stop & turn signals.
Too many to list here.

Again, welcome aboard!
firelttim
Posted 2012-12-09 11:42 AM (#128224 - in reply to #96779)

Puddle Jumper

Layton, UT United States
Excellent article. I had a thought about the antenna and wondered if anyone else has tried this. take the CB antenna mount on the side of the rear trunk, but instead of the CB Antenna, install the Cross Country Tour antenna. the CCT antenna wire would be long enough to reach back to the radio unit (I think).

this should improve the reception of the radio.
radioteacher
Posted 2012-12-11 3:32 PM (#128290 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Please do not use the RF amp listed in the article. Mine has failed. I am not alone. Many have had issues with this amp.

Ride Safe
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2012-12-11 7:17 PM (#128298 - in reply to #96779)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
Radioteacher,

What do you think caused the failure? Heat, moisture, or something else?
Monkeyman
Posted 2012-12-12 12:47 AM (#128312 - in reply to #96779)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I'll probably end up with an amp and upgraded speakers but I use my saddlebags so I'll probably mount my amp in the trunk stem. Awesome writeup as always, RT.
Ditch
Posted 2012-12-12 9:49 AM (#128326 - in reply to #128298)

Cruiser

I have been through three of these in 10 months.
I installed the same setup in the write up that was on the front page, nothing against RT as he was only being helpful.
I have almost 30 years of AV experience and have always used Rockford in boat and car audio without any issues. I have had nothing but problems with the PBR 300x4's.
I used adequate sized/fused wires, short ground wire with all connections in butt connectors and heat shrink. I used jb weld on my polk capacitors. My first amp lasted 7 months (this failure coincided with riding through a monsoon..... ) the second one 3 dry hours, the third didn't even make it through tweaking after install.
I am getting attitude from Rockford about the replacements. They acted like they were doing me a huge favor by replacing their POS product which by the way is made in China now. The only suggestion the tech had was to check resistance at the speaker terminals which I did and it was fine. He told me the protect circuits had to be beefed up in the beginning and of course they are not resettable. So now I have two of these amps and I'm afraid to use them given their track record in the past year.
Who would have thought Rockford would put out such a piece of crap?
These are going on eBay and will be replaced by the Arc audio mini amp.
Do yourself a favor and go a different route. Please don't mistake what I am saying if you are currently using this setup and having good luck. It is not my intent to bash anyone's gear. I am just not happy with my results.
Hope this helps out, take care.
Todd
Riverdawg
Posted 2012-12-12 6:30 PM (#128340 - in reply to #96779)

Cruiser

Camas Washington
Alpine Amp in the trunk stem works perfect, no issues with heat or moisture plus the amp provides all the power you need.
cw1115
Posted 2012-12-12 7:00 PM (#128342 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I just did the Alpine amp on top of the left fuel tank. I didn't want to lose and space in the trunk or bags. I have Polk MM521 speakers in the front and the Kickers from the dealer in the rear. The kickers are a direct plug and play replacement. I paid 199 plus tax for them a couple of weeks ago. I plan on trying to sell them on eBay for 150 so I can get matching Polk speakers for the rear. Anybody interested send me a PM.

Edited by cw1115 2012-12-12 7:01 PM
PhantomX
Posted 2012-12-12 11:04 PM (#128354 - in reply to #96779)

Cruiser

Land O Lakes, FL
For the guys that mounted it under the fairing on top of the left gas tank how is that working out? This would be ideal as it would fix the thermal problems and not loose any bag space (limited on our bikes) and prevent drilling the bag out (water issues?). I don't want to fry the amp from water damage though so I'm curious if this would work well?
cw1115
Posted 2012-12-12 11:15 PM (#128355 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I asked a couple of people with the Alpine and they reported no issues, even riding in heavy rain. I'm wanted to go with the 300W RF but not sure it will fit in that spot, plus all the reported failures.
Monkeyman
Posted 2012-12-13 1:23 AM (#128357 - in reply to #96779)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Which Alpine amp did you use, cw11111115?
cw1115
Posted 2012-12-13 4:04 AM (#128360 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
The KTP-445. 4x45 watts. They are about $125 brand new on eBay.
Alpine KTP-445U Universal Power Pack Amplifier for Use w/ Aftermarket Head Units

http://bit.ly/TWe0bo
Monkeyman
Posted 2012-12-13 8:00 AM (#128363 - in reply to #96779)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Thanks.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2012-12-18 3:31 PM (#128603 - in reply to #96779)

For those who've place the amp up front (like on the gas tank), where did you tie into the radio's speaker wires? Especially the rear speakers?
Dain
Posted 2012-12-18 5:40 PM (#128605 - in reply to #96779)

Cruiser

You guy's keep going over and over this. You have what seems like a good set-up than blam out it goes again. I have had this same set-up for over 2 years and guess what it still works just as it did when I installed it. Price is still about $300 for amp speakers and everything you need to do the job. Stop messing around, this set-up works. I have gone to bike nights and the DJ's have asked me to turn down my bike steareo lol. My write up is here on this site. Dain
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6938&pos...
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2012-12-18 8:46 PM (#128613 - in reply to #128603)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
Jedi Jeff - 2012-12-18 4:31 PM

For those who've place the amp up front (like on the gas tank), where did you tie into the radio's speaker wires? Especially the rear speakers?

I have one amp on top of the tank and one on each side of the windshield motor. I put spade terminals on the end of new speaker wire and plugged them into the factory speaker connectors (all four of them). From there I ran the new wire to the amps. Then from the amp back to the speakers. At the trunk I put an 8 pin automotive connector in line so I can still remove the trunk (which I do every winter when it's too cold for the gf to ride). I did not disturb the factory wiring in any way so it can quickly and easily be returned to stock. I put black wire loom on all of my wires so it won't rub on anything and wear thru the insulation. Four years and 40k miles and I'm still on the same setup and turn it up to at least 18 every day. Well, every day there is no snow which has been little the past few years. My setup is not as powerful as the big Rockfords, Pioneers, Alpines, etc, but it's nearly bullet proof and a huge improvement over stock.
Monkeyman
Posted 2012-12-19 5:12 AM (#128615 - in reply to #96779)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Dain --- Will that amp fit in the trunk stem? I can see a heat issue if I mount an amp in a saddlebag especially since I use mine. I don't want to overheat either the amp or my new Batman Underoos.
cw1115
Posted 2012-12-19 10:45 AM (#128627 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Webmaster,
Up front I ran from the speakers to the amp for inputs and then ran from the amp directly to the new Polk speakers. It was not too pretty because the speakers have a remote crossover so there is wire running all over under the access panel. I used 3M dual lock and mounted the crossovers under the front turn signals.
As for the rear I did not want to have the speakers wired in a way that would hardwire the trunk. I never take it off, but didn't want to lose the option and be dealing with more things to unplug. I located the wires under the seat. Orange/orange-black and pink/pink-black. I cut them and added 4 pin Molex connectors. I use 16/4 wire. I would have preferred weather pacs but would have had to order them online. Now the trunk comes off same as before.
I put the 2 cables in dark split wire loom so the white didn't stand out.
Also if the amp ever craps out I can just plug the rear wires back together. My other thought is if I go with a different amp I can just make new cables with Molex connectors.
I haden't made the second cable yet when I took the photo. I have two 4 wires cables. One to and one from the amp.

Edited by cw1115 2012-12-19 10:49 AM

(crossover.JPG)

(molex connectors.JPG)

(rear speaker wires.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments crossover.JPG (24KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments molex connectors.JPG (38KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments rear speaker wires.JPG (42KB - 3 downloads)
Ditch
Posted 2012-12-21 11:47 AM (#128668 - in reply to #128354)

Cruiser

I thought it worked pretty well except when parking the bike in the rain. When it goes on the kickstand it exposed the amp. I found an easy fix to protect it with plexiglass, two sided tape and a heat gun. I cut a piece of plexiglass roughly 4" high and 12" long and molded it to fit the tank contour. I fit it to wedge under the fuel vent line and put a piece of two sided tape on the rear bottom to attach to the tank. It was very protected and unobtrusive. I hope this will help you.
Ditch
Posted 2013-01-02 7:05 PM (#129092 - in reply to #128668)

Cruiser

Sorry, this was in response to your post Jeff. Thanks for all that you do here!

Ditch - 2012-12-21 11:47 AM

I thought it worked pretty well except when parking the bike in the rain. When it goes on the kickstand it exposed the amp. I found an easy fix to protect it with plexiglass, two sided tape and a heat gun. I cut a piece of plexiglass roughly 4" high and 12" long and molded it to fit the tank contour. I fit it to wedge under the fuel vent line and put a piece of two sided tape on the rear bottom to attach to the tank. It was very protected and unobtrusive. I hope this will help you.
kmt27
Posted 2013-01-04 8:56 PM (#129170 - in reply to #96779)

Cruiser

Davenport, IA
Just wondering, and considering an amp. I realize the purpose of the amp is to "amplify" or boost the power to the speakers. So, I'm sure the amp increases loudness of the speakers, but will an amp change the sound of the speakers? Will there be more clarity and will there be more mid-range or bass with an amp?

I have an 09 Vision Street Premium without the trunk, which means I only have the two speakers up front. However, I did replace the OEM speakers with the Kickers. Would this mean I would only need a 2 channel amp?
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-01-04 10:32 PM (#129174 - in reply to #96779)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
It will clean up the sound some. More if you upgrade your speakers.
Cuaugh
Posted 2013-03-25 4:37 AM (#133609 - in reply to #128668)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience of adding new speakers and amp. I do have plans of installing new speakers in my bike and your post will surely help a lot
Ditch
Posted 2013-03-25 10:13 AM (#133625 - in reply to #96779)

Cruiser

Well, here is the update:
I installed the Alpine PDX-F4
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-f4/Specs
It is 100 Watts x 4 and sounds incredible but is too much for the Polk 5.25's. Yes, I knew that before I put it in but I am a more power is better guy.... .

Thanks Dain! I used alot of his information from his install to help out and it was a really good reference. I tried to avoid putting an amp in my saddlebag for several reasons but in the long run it will be worth the trade off. I put the CPU cooling fan in to draw cool air into the bag and I had to use the Line level convertor that Dain recommended.

Anyway, now my new mission in life is to get 6.5" speakers in the front....more to come

(IMAG0061-2.jpg)

(IMAG0196.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0061-2.jpg (67KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments IMAG0196.jpg (88KB - 9 downloads)
cw1115
Posted 2013-03-25 11:58 AM (#133630 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Ditch, which Polk speakers are you running? I have the MM521s. Rated at 90W continuous, peak 200W.
Cuaugh
Posted 2013-03-25 10:56 PM (#133666 - in reply to #133609)

Puddle Jumper

Cuaugh - 2013-03-25 4:37 AM

I thought speakers worked pretty well except when parking the bike in the rain. When it goes on the kickstand it exposed the amp. I found an easy fix to protect it with plexiglass, two sided tape and a heat gun. I cut a piece of plexiglass roughly 4" high and 12" long and molded it to fit the tank contour. I fit it to wedge under the fuel vent line and put a piece of two sided tape on the rear bottom to attach to the tank. It was very protected and unobtrusive. I hope this will help you.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience of adding new speakers and amp. I do have plans of installing new speakers in my bike and your post will surely help a lot

Nice to have updates. Thanks again

Edited by Cuaugh 2013-03-25 10:57 PM
jeffmack
Posted 2013-03-26 8:44 AM (#133675 - in reply to #96779)

Iron Butt

damn brother, that looks sweet! maybe you and Kevin X should set up Cam/Amp parties around the US.
Ditch
Posted 2013-03-26 9:35 AM (#133678 - in reply to #96779)

Cruiser

LMAO!
Yes, with all of my spare time.... Looking forward to the ride next week brother!
Check out the 6 1/2 speakers thread!

I have to give alot of credit to Dain for leading the way on this one. I changed some things around but this is a version of his install. Nice work Dain!

Edited by Ditch 2013-03-26 9:58 AM
Ditch
Posted 2013-03-26 9:43 AM (#133679 - in reply to #133630)

Cruiser

cw1115 - 2013-03-25 11:58 AM

Ditch, which Polk speakers are you running? I have the MM521s. Rated at 90W continuous, peak 200W.

I had the DB521's in and just ordered polk DB6501's (6.5") they are rated at 100 watts continuous and 300 watts peak. These should stand up to the Alpine fora while at 100 watts per channel. I dont mind getting a years use out of speakers and chunkin them. The specs indicate that they need a 5" cutout. Guess what size our cutout is? Yep, 5" the best i can tell. I have already pulled the stock enclosures out and have 6.5" boom mat in the hole.

I will have to leave the 521's in the rear for now until i figure out how to expand my trunk for a 12" sub, a mono amp, another battery and bigger alternator!

J/k

If you havent seen the 6 1/2 speaker thread there is alot of info here too;
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13441&po...

Edited by Ditch 2013-03-26 9:47 AM
cw1115
Posted 2013-03-26 11:20 AM (#133683 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Looking good. I think when I update the alpine amp to something more powerful I will get much better performance out of the MM521s. I have a plan in mind for the RF PBR300. I too stuff my saddlebags to the bursting point. My idea is a plexi partition and a PC fan.
I'll post updates.
Ditch
Posted 2013-03-26 1:16 PM (#133690 - in reply to #96779)

Cruiser

Yep a plexi glass partition is on my list off to do's to maintain airspace and air flow. I am curious to see if I will also need an exhaust fan. My plan is to attach it to have about an inch of airspace around the amp. So I can still cram it full of crap and not kill my airflow.
Please keep us posted sir!
radioteacher
Posted 2013-08-03 12:31 AM (#142413 - in reply to #96779)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Wow! What a audio setup!

Ride Safe