You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Fuel Gauge ?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Blackjack
Posted 2012-01-09 5:25 PM (#105079 - in reply to #105021)
Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge ?

Tourer

Cottage Grove, Mn
My floor cracked and then sunk. I called the dealer they informed me you cannot purchase the float as a separate item but you would have to buy the entire unit at the cost of $365. I went to the local carburetor shop purchased a brass float of similar size brought it home soldered in place and the float and the gas gauge now work perfectly.
Took about three hours start to finish including the trip to the carburetor for the grant total of $10
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ltrmc02
Posted 2012-01-09 6:19 PM (#105082 - in reply to #105079)

Puddle Jumper

NC
Blackjack - 2012-01-09 6:25 PM

My floor cracked and then sunk. I called the dealer they informed me you cannot purchase the float as a separate item but you would have to buy the entire unit at the cost of $365. I went to the local carburetor shop purchased a brass float of similar size brought it home soldered in place and the float and the gas gauge now work perfectly.
Took about three hours start to finish including the trip to the carburetor for the grant total of $10
That's the way to do it, I just hate getting ripped off on something like that especially when it's probably a design flaw and they seem to take advantage of such by selling expensive parts that will probably just go bad again in the same time frame. At least with the brass float it'll probably last several times longer, I'm assuming it was plobably a plastic float that you replaced?

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of the level system or a link where I can see how the unit is built? Thanks alot for your experience and I'm sure I will do the same. I may be cheap but I think it's more the satisfaction of "they weren't able to stick it too me this time" as to why I have modified such things as this. I know at times I have spent way more time than it was worth to go ahead and pay for the part but it was just the principle of it and that I didn't feel liked I'd been F'd, in a bad way that is LOL. Thanks again BlackJack.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2012-01-09 6:29 PM (#105083 - in reply to #98598)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Im impressed! i love to read when someone goes against the system and makes it work...
Blackjack
Posted 2012-01-10 4:04 PM (#105150 - in reply to #105082)

Tourer

Cottage Grove, Mn
No Pic's Sorry
radioteacher
Posted 2012-01-10 4:39 PM (#105153 - in reply to #98598)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Blackjack,

Great job. Thanks for the post.

Ride Safe
Evil Genius
Posted 2012-01-13 5:21 PM (#105337 - in reply to #98601)

Puddle Jumper

SYNSTR - 2011-10-07 7:18 PM

We also have the dreaded Kahleeforneeah accordion nozzles around here that were not designed with filling up a motorcycle as any part of the design process, so you get to hold the stupid 'vapor trapper' up so the nozzle will operate and come away with damp, fuel smelly gloves or fingers if you take a glove off.

I always grab a couple paper towels from the windsheild wash station and use those to hold the nozzle back if necessary. I also use them to hold under the nozzle end when putting it back so any extra fuel in the nozzle doesn't drip out onto the bike.
varyder
Posted 2012-01-13 6:26 PM (#105346 - in reply to #105337)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Evil Genius - 2012-01-13 6:21 PM

SYNSTR - 2011-10-07 7:18 PM

We also have the dreaded Kahleeforneeah accordion nozzles around here that were not designed with filling up a motorcycle as any part of the design process, so you get to hold the stupid 'vapor trapper' up so the nozzle will operate and come away with damp, fuel smelly gloves or fingers if you take a glove off.

I always grab a couple paper towels from the windsheild wash station and use those to hold the nozzle back if necessary. I also use them to hold under the nozzle end when putting it back so any extra fuel in the nozzle doesn't drip out onto the bike.

http://www.mccuff.com/index.html
dkc1944
Posted 2012-01-29 12:46 PM (#106342 - in reply to #98598)
Subject: RE: Fuel Gauge ?

Puddle Jumper

Seattle WA
My 2009 Vision Tour has the same problem. Everything works, just hard to put in the last gallon of gas. Lift the riser and squeeze in slowly. Pain in the butt.
alohaboy
Posted 2012-01-29 5:05 PM (#106361 - in reply to #98598)

Cruiser

Danville, CA
same here.. just take it slow on the last couple of gals and she will fill up slowly.. just some patience thats all
sarvbill
Posted 2012-01-30 6:20 AM (#106382 - in reply to #98598)
Subject: RE: Fuel Gauge ?

Cruiser

Chesterfield, VA

As far as the float not working properly...I had the fuel pump on my previous Vision go out while on a week long trip (July 2010).  It was replaced under the extended warranty, but when the shop unpackaged the new pump they showed me how the packaging had bent the float arm.  It appears the box is too small and causes a bend in the arm during shipping/storage (the shop told me they had seen several of these).  The tech used a multi-meter and re-bent the arm until he had the correct electrical resistence (or something like this) at the different float positions.  He told me that if he had installed the new pump the way it came out of the packaging, that the float would stick around the 1/4 tank level. 

I believe he submitted a discrepancy report back to Polaris, but am not sure.  My point is that the issues appears to be with the packaging of the part and not the part itself.  Maybe some of the other Techs on here can verify this, or tell me I'm full of BS. 

ltrmc02
Posted 2012-01-30 3:58 PM (#106410 - in reply to #98598)

Puddle Jumper

NC
Sounds like a possibility. I'll tear into mine some time when it gets up on the priority scale and give feed back on my find. I have too much junk to work on, that's the problem with having too many toys you can end up spending all your time working on them and not enjoying them lol.
EDNUKEND
Posted 2012-04-01 4:32 PM (#111208 - in reply to #105079)

New user

My Too. I believe the float became a sponge and became heavy is not coming up, Florida 10% ethanol fuel I blame. I will do the same thanks for the idea.
ltrmc02
Posted 2012-06-08 2:23 PM (#116089 - in reply to #98598)

Puddle Jumper

NC
You guys that have taken your fuel pump assembly out, what all body panels do you need to remove? I have a PDF version of the manual and have looked through it for the last hour due to one section referring back to another and to another and so on LOL. The fuel pump removal just states to remove the right fairing then speaker volumn box and when looking at those sections it appears most everything needs to come off the front end of the bike.

I'm assuming the fuel pump is at the front of the right hand side tank?

CoolHandLuke
Posted 2012-06-08 9:50 PM (#116125 - in reply to #116089)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
ltrmc02 - 2012-06-08 3:23 PM

1. The fuel pump removal just states to remove the right fairing then speaker volumn box and when looking at those sections it appears most everything needs to come off the front end of the bike.

2. I'm assuming the fuel pump is at the front of the right hand side tank?

You are correct for both #1 and #2. Been there, done that and it weren't easy!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™