You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Riding with my wife
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Emt647
Posted 2013-04-21 8:49 AM (#135237)
Subject: Riding with my wife

Puddle Jumper

Delavan, Wisconsin
I just purchased a 2013 Victory Vision. This bike is the biggest one I have ever owned. Any tips on how to have a passenger mount the bike? I'm a short guy and a little intimidated by the size of this bike. I have been riding alone for 25 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
VBear
Posted 2013-04-21 9:12 AM (#135238 - in reply to #135237)
Subject: Re: Riding with my wife

Cruiser

Bancroft Ontario, Canada
I have ridden many if not most of my miles with my good wife aboard...our process is as follows....i mount the bike and bring to an upright position....both feet on the ground....wife puts left hand on my left shoulder, left foot on left passenger floor board and stands up swinging right leg over seat and then sitting down....all set to go
Dismounting is in direct reverse.
Might not be everyone's process but this works well for us.

Bear
roundtwig
Posted 2013-04-21 9:52 AM (#135239 - in reply to #135237)

Cruiser

flagstaff, AZ
We follow the same routine, very important that the wife steps up on floorboard without pulling on you and stand up first before getting off the bike. Again making sure not to pull on you. I can have both feet firmly on ground but when my wife pulls rather than step straight up it gets sketchy.
docvtx
Posted 2013-04-21 10:32 AM (#135243 - in reply to #135237)
Subject: RE: Riding with my wife

Cruiser

Santa Maria CA
My wife normally rides her own bike, But when she rides with me she gets on first than I get on and stand the bike up straight. Its not to bad on the vision to straighten the bike up. Her Goldwing is harder to lift up straight when we use her bike with the two of us.
Oldman47
Posted 2013-04-21 11:04 AM (#135250 - in reply to #135237)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Easiest mount, with no risk of tipping is to mount and grab the front brake. Then she mounts while the bike is still on the kickstand. Once everyone is settled in, move the bike upright and off the stand. We dismount the same way. I stop the bike and place the bike on the stand, then she gets off and finally I get off.
norcan
Posted 2013-04-21 11:04 AM (#135251 - in reply to #135237)

Cruiser

Edmonton Alberta, Canada
My pilon has a touch of arthritis in her hips so she is unable to lift her knee very high so so too mounts the bike on the stand so she can swing her foot over my seat. I then do a karate kick and mount the bike. Straighten the front wheel and lift off the stand. Works just fine for us unless the left side is lower.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-04-21 11:57 AM (#135254 - in reply to #135237)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I'm a short guy too. Not particularly strong either, and getting weaker as the years go by (62, so far).

We use a system that we've worked out over the years. She gets on the bike first, with it on the sidestand, just as you would, and then slides back onto the pillion. I then get on. She leans to the right, acting as a counterweight, as I bring the bike up off the sidestand and she returns to vertical as the bike comes vertical. She's really good at it now and makes lifting the bike easy for me.

Ronnie
Emt647
Posted 2013-04-21 2:04 PM (#135257 - in reply to #135237)

Puddle Jumper

Delavan, Wisconsin
Thanks for all the tips! I'm going to ride a month or so to get used to the bike. After that we will give these tips a try!
donetracey
Posted 2013-04-21 3:15 PM (#135264 - in reply to #135237)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
I do a mount that is graceful and easy for my 69 years. I put my left foot on the passenger riser - grasp the bars and straighten my left leg - at the same time swinging my right leg over the seat (I have a trunk so there's no swinging right foot over that). This is all one movement that ends quickly with the bike upright and both feet on the ground. Wife then repeats the motion (left foot on riser , up, then right leg across passenger seat, and down on the seat). Again - VERY graceful !!!
Having wife mount first would be horrible for me - plus trying to get bike upright with the added weight. YIKES - can't imagine that ...

Oh well - whatever works ....
Street Eagle
Posted 2013-04-21 4:41 PM (#135271 - in reply to #135237)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Hi Emt647

Its been mentioned in other threads but I would highly recommend the Ride Like a Pro DVD. The lastest release is 5. Today I began working on what they call the slow race followed by slow speed circles. I've gotten the bike down to appx 5 to 6 mph using the friction point, rear brake and Head/Eye positioning. I also worked on acceleration and stopping. After about a hour of practicing, I went for a ride and the driving drills really helped. I too am going to wait until I am absolutely comfortable with my 2013 Vision before I add my wife to the equation.

Good luck with your new ride!
Emt647
Posted 2013-04-21 7:41 PM (#135284 - in reply to #135237)

Puddle Jumper

Delavan, Wisconsin
Thanks I just ordered the DVD!
efd158
Posted 2013-04-21 9:26 PM (#135288 - in reply to #135237)

Cruiser

Westchester Co., NY
My wife seems to be unable to plug her intercom jack in. So I have her mount from the right side of the bike. She seems to kick the saddlebag less when mounting from the right then the left. Once she is in place I plug her in and then get on myself.
BreadmanRo
Posted 2013-04-21 10:54 PM (#135291 - in reply to #135237)

Cruiser

Stockton, California
What works for us is having my wife mount first. I make sure both boards are in down position and she mounts from the left while bike is on the kickstand. I plug her in and then I mount from the left and plug myself in. I then bring bike to upright position the start the bike. (The Vision likes to be started while straight up better then on the stand) 
conn-e-rot
Posted 2013-04-22 9:00 AM (#137313 - in reply to #135237)

Cruiser

Conneaut, OH
The best method is the one you are most comfortable with.
agburmeister
Posted 2013-04-22 10:06 AM (#137326 - in reply to #135237)

Puddle Jumper

I have the 13 VV as well and being 5'8 and my wife at 5'10 we do as follows. I hold the front brake, she straddles the drivers seat the sits up onto the passenger seat then I get on, Start the bik eup and sit there until she is all adjusted and then off we go.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™