You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

3 week old belt snapped 2600 miles from home
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

jeffmack
Posted 2012-06-17 12:47 PM (#116860)
Subject: 3 week old belt snapped 2600 miles from home

Iron Butt

Well guys. Just looking for some advice. Middle of a trip, dealer installed belt 3 weeks ago at home
Towed 75 miles back to nearest town to victory shop. Tech here said it looks like bad belt or misalignment. No evidence of Rock damage or injury to belt. Belt damaged the bike, ripped of belt guard, and bent pully.
Vacation wrecked, stuck at least 4 days. How/what should I demand to get this right on my end. 3 week old belt with no trama shouldn't break!!!! Just frustrated. And info on how you would handle this?
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
willtill
Posted 2012-06-17 1:36 PM (#116862 - in reply to #116860)
Subject: Re: 3 week old belt snapped 2600 miles from home

Visionary

Central Maryland
Belt was too tight?
glighto11
Posted 2012-06-17 1:51 PM (#116863 - in reply to #116860)

Iron Butt

Central New York
Not to it has never happened, but I have never heard of a defective drive belt, on any make/model bike. Even so, a defect of that magnitude should have been visible before installation. My feeling is that your beef is with the dealer that did the installation, although I doubt you will get anything more than a sympathetic "I'm sorry" from him.

Unfortunately, this is a 'catch 22' for many dealers. They hire qualified people and they have to charge prices that will cover the salary, so nobody comes in. So they end up hiring affordable kids that make mistakes.
jeffmack
Posted 2012-06-17 2:34 PM (#116865 - in reply to #116860)

Iron Butt

The apology won't work. Thank goodness for Amex and canceling charges. Hope it doesn't come to that. Hope they do right by me
willtill
Posted 2012-06-17 5:43 PM (#116869 - in reply to #116865)

Visionary

Central Maryland
jeffmack - 2012-06-17 3:34 PM

The apology won't work. Thank goodness for Amex and canceling charges. Hope it doesn't come to that. Hope they do right by me

Got to love the credit card and buyer protection from it. I've had to use my Chase CC a couple of times to combat nefarious dealings with vendors. I've always come out on top.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2012-06-17 5:57 PM (#116871 - in reply to #116860)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Its so very hard to prove nothing bad happened to the belt. (rock, vandalism etc) whats more alarming is the BENT pulley... can a rubber belt Bend a pulley?? or did the pulley some how get damaged and then it killed the belt? you would think if the pulley was installed incorrectly it wouldnt of taken so long to destory the belt...? how many miles was on the belt before it snapped?
jeffmack
Posted 2012-06-17 6:04 PM (#116872 - in reply to #116860)

Iron Butt

No. The pulley got bent by the belt guard being ripped off and wedged between the pully, tire, and wheel well.
The damage to the belt! There isn't any, not a jagged, of diagonal rip, clean straight across break which I've been told from several reliable sources that is indicative of a too tight belt. Easy to tell if it was damage from the road, not a single scar or abrasion in the belt. My previous belt had 51k on it with a rock embedded in it, it's quite easy to see the bulge from the protruding rock
Arkainzeye
Posted 2012-06-17 6:26 PM (#116874 - in reply to #116860)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
man i am so sorry for you. i know this doesnt help. and Holy shit that must have been TIGHT!!!! roughly how many miles since install before it snapped?
phoenix9
Posted 2012-06-17 6:39 PM (#116876 - in reply to #116860)

Cruiser

Litchfield Park, AZ
I just can't see any way possible that someone could install a belt so tight that it would snap "clean" without that thing squealing like a cat being skinned alive. Was there any noise coming from the belt after install? If not, I see no way the "too tight" makes any sense at all.

johnnyvision
Posted 2012-06-17 7:08 PM (#116877 - in reply to #116860)

Visionary

I have seen belts break and they just normally go limp and blow out the back. Scares you a when a black thing jumps out of a bike.
I'm guessing like every one ells to tight and wheel not in straight. If the wheel is cocked wrong the belt would wrap around the pulley is my thinking.
Nice you only lost a belt and some vacation its better to break a bike part the a human part.
willtill
Posted 2012-06-17 7:22 PM (#116881 - in reply to #116860)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Another sterling example to do all maintenance on a bike... yourself.
diamonbird
Posted 2012-06-22 11:39 AM (#117323 - in reply to #116860)
Subject: RE: 3 week old belt snapped 2600 miles from home

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
This is why I do my own maint...........they just can't be trusted with my life!
wrr1home
Posted 2012-06-24 7:58 AM (#117456 - in reply to #117323)
Subject: RE: 3 week old belt snapped 2600 miles from home

Cruiser

Agreed!

BBQWIZ
Posted 2012-06-24 10:00 AM (#117460 - in reply to #116860)

Cruiser

ROCHESTER,NY
Man that sucks,I'm going to add to the poor service note. I took my VV to the dealer that I bought it from. To have pipe's,re-map,air cleaner.We were trying a new set-up from a dealer out of Jersey. Before the purchase was made, I had voiced many,many times that I wanted no problems with this new application. And if there were,and I needed to spend more money, and more screwing around,that I would rather spend a little more coin,and put something on that was tried and true. Well the, Jersey application wasn't what we were told it was. Popping on decel,back fire,just plain sounded bad.When I picked the V up I was told everything installed,good. GOOD TO GO.I had briefly talked to the tech,and I use this term loosely. He also informed me that everything went well with the install, but wasn't able to test ride it. In said to him, REALLY, I've been here for 45 min. You've been here shootin the shit with your salesman.OK what ever,left the shop,bike was sounding bad poppin,fartin,everything I said I didn't want.These request's were in the notes for the install but were ignored buy the tech. NOW I'm getting to the good part.I stoped,5 miles away from shop,at a friends house.To see if it was just me,what I was hearing.Nope not me,it sounded bad. When I turned to get back on the bike,I noticed some thing wrong with my guardian bell. It was just about flat, it was under the front tip over. Well, they DROPPED THE F*CKIN V, and didn't have the ball's to tell me. What I'm getting at, these tech's are used to working on, snowmobiles,4-wheeler,and lawn mowers. Just because they went to MA VIC for some training, don't make a good tech.Needless to say never going back there. Yes everything was put back to stock, Tip overs replaced, and now have the whole With set up from LLOYDZ. With D&D Slip-on's. Now when it goes to a shop,because of the warranty, If I can't be there in the shop, your NOT WORKIN ON MY BIKE!!!

RIDE HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LIVE FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DIE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ByteN2it
Posted 2012-06-24 11:55 AM (#117465 - in reply to #116860)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
They used to package the Victory belts vacuum packed on a stiff cardboard backing-now I see they're loose with piece of cardboard in the center and the ends exposed-if someone were to step on the ends or pile it under stuff in shipping or storage the belt chords could become compromised and subject to early failure- never fold or flatten a drive belt.
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-06-24 6:32 PM (#117501 - in reply to #116860)

Visionary

In the begging years of belt primary's the belt would come all rolled up and where the sharpest bend was is right where the belts would break.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™