You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Drain plug
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

donetracey
Posted 2011-07-20 1:39 AM (#91213 - in reply to #91027)
Subject: Re: Drain plug

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

#57 - 2011-07-17 6:45 PM I had the same issue at 30,000 miles. Dealer has always done my oil changes. They tried the timesert fix twice and still leaked. The extended warranty people just laughed at a claim. Dealer now uses the plastic washer from a Sportsman 500 to conform to the space. No problems on second oil change.

Can you say "LAWYER"?

The reason I ALWAYS have the Dealer do my service is to ensure that I can't be blamed for this kind of SHIT. And no kidding - I would SUE Victory's ASS if they tried to tell me that they would not remedy their poor design.

Of course - I haven't had a problem - and I assume my excellent Dealer is the reason. I trust them - and so do many others. Maybe you should KICK SOME ASS!

And I worked my way thru University back in the 60's in a Service Bay changing Oil and more serious things. I know about Drain Plugs. AND OIL.

And 'dip sticks' ....

Top of the page Bottom of the page
RhodeTrip
Posted 2011-07-20 5:00 AM (#91215 - in reply to #90930)

Cruiser

Rhode Island
I change the oil & filter faithfully every 2500 miles and use an oil pump on all but the last change before storing it for the winter. I wind up putting 4 1/2 quarts in so I feel that I am getting all old oil out. If I somehow strip the plug I have 3 months to fix it; usually 4-5 oil changes a year so I have improved the odds significantly.
Jim
Biscuit
Posted 2011-07-21 7:25 AM (#91279 - in reply to #90930)

Cruiser

Midlothian, Va.
If you need a wrench to remove the filter then your most likely over wrenching that plug. It's all in the feel, just ask my wife or my GF. Hey some guys have two bikes, right.
radioteacher
Posted 2011-07-21 11:37 AM (#91294 - in reply to #90930)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I use a wrench to remove the oil filter to keep from ever burning my hand again on the exhaust crossover.

Ouch.

Ride Safe
bigfoot
Posted 2011-07-23 12:38 PM (#91451 - in reply to #90930)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
My dealer's mechanics use torque wrenches.
I know because I watch them work on my scoot.
15 ft/lbs is not even close to a "grunt".
Posted 2011-07-23 12:44 PM (#91452 - in reply to #90930)

Tourer

My dealer always uses a torque wrench and I still have this problem.
I have not heard this issue po up with other Vic's. It can't be just a Vision issue, can it????
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-07-23 12:56 PM (#91454 - in reply to #91451)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
bigfoot - 2011-07-23 12:38 PM

My dealer's mechanics use torque wrenches.
I know because I watch them work on my scoot.
15 ft/lbs is not even close to a "grunt".

...ref: my earlier post, that is why I use half a grunt.
nice rides
Posted 2011-07-23 3:11 PM (#91462 - in reply to #90930)

Cruiser

Nova Scotia , Canada
I dry the plug off well with a clean rag, Place a small amount of silicone on the washer face and use a torque wrench, never had a leak or a problem getting the plug out.
dtoddrship
Posted 2011-08-02 10:58 AM (#92360 - in reply to #90930)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
Alright, I set the bike on the right side and installed the Timesert per manufacturer instructions. Had a machinist and an engineer working with me on this, so we were probably over cautious as a collective group. The countersink tool worked excellent but even after going to the limit on that the Timesert insert sits proud in the recess. After placing the drain plug to just beyond handtight, it dripped a few drops of oil. I put a torque wrench on it at 15 ft/lbs and it went a bit tighter but I still had one drop on the floor after a few hours. I backed the plug out a few turns and re-torqued. Now, 1.5 weeks later and multiple highway commutes in 104 degrees or better, there are no leaks. I'll have to see what happens at the next oil change.

I'd have to say that the Timesert was easy to use and for the most part delivered what was promised. If I have time I may post some pictures showing a few old grey-haired guys looking appropriately concerned and a Vision laying on it's side while one or two of us lay on our aging backs on the concrete, winding various tools into the oil pan.
rainryder
Posted 2011-08-12 12:18 PM (#93297 - in reply to #90930)

Tourer

Bay of Gigs, WA
I bought my scoot off Craigslist and got no paperwork or "special wrench" for the oil plug. When I took it to the dealer to have it checked out, I bought a spare plug because it's some weird size. I've been using a torx that seems to fit and haven't had any problems ('till I said that, anyway, LOL), but can tell the plug has problematic potential. What type of threads are on the thing anyhow, and does your local auto parts store carry one with an old fashioned hex head on it? I've replaced the copper gasket each time because one comes with the filter, but I wonder if one of those fiber/resin/phenolic types that are on my Jeep, say, might be more gentle or forgiving of my ham handed approach to home bike maintenance?
iluvink
Posted 2012-05-11 10:19 AM (#114012 - in reply to #90930)
Subject: RE: Drain plug

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
OK, well, not sure how, but I have joined the ranks of a drain plug that just won't get "snug", and now has a very slow drip leak. Before a Time-sert or Helicoil, what about trying some teflon tape on the threads? Just a thought. The leak is really slow, and seems to just not get a complete seal.

Edited by iluvink 2012-05-11 10:20 AM
iluvink
Posted 2012-05-11 2:56 PM (#114032 - in reply to #90930)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
Disregard my last post....teflon tape isn't recommended for lubricating systems. It can shred and leave trace pieces in the oil. Guess it's time to re-tap and/or use Time-cert or Helicoil.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™