You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tranny trouble
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

TRELL
Posted 2014-01-17 10:05 PM (#150599)
Subject: Tranny trouble

Cruiser

Well got the bad news today from dealer 2011 vision have to replace 2nd /3rd/ 4th/5th gear and new main shaft all because of bearing failure under 2nd gear. NEVER hear of how stupid the warranty work. dealer calls the factory warranty people they then approve it (which they havn't yet) seem like they could do that over phone. Then the dealer orders the parts and have to wait on them to get in and then he can start to fix it. This Vision my wife and I love the look the ride and all about it but it will not stay together. We missed Sturgis last yr because of break down on the rode with only 24k on the bike. Now 30k tranny out our 1st winter in florida we have just retired. Victory need better customer service if they expect me to buy again. If I am still here on earth in 2015 will buy a new bike(if I don't have to before then) Victory is going to have to win me back as a customer. Well my little rant over with Maybe just maybe this will be the last thing that will screw up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chef John
Posted 2014-01-17 10:18 PM (#150600 - in reply to #150599)
Subject: Re: Tranny trouble

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
Where are you in Florida, where did you take it to get fixed? Maybe we can go for a ride sometime.
my13visionness
Posted 2014-01-18 7:50 AM (#150603 - in reply to #150599)
Subject: RE: Tranny trouble

Puddle Jumper

East Troy, WI United States
Bummer Trell
I bought a Victory just for the opposite reasons you are having. I had a Honda Valkyrie Interstate which I loved, but I saw 2013 VV Arlen Ness and fell in love with her, but I needed to be reassured that Victory will hold up as well as my Honda. I started reading these forums on Victory's. The more I read the more I went back to dealer to look at the bike again and again.
I think in every factory they have a problem with a product. I think you got the lemon. Sorry. Victory should do the correct thing and make it better for you.
Good Luck.
marcparnes
Posted 2014-01-18 1:20 PM (#150611 - in reply to #150599)

Iron Butt

That is such a bummer. I know Vic had trouble with early transmissions breaking gears but I haven't heard of any failures with the later bikes at all. I'm on my third Vision and haven't really had anything go wrong other than a regulator and the stinkin' front fender fiasco. Its really unusual to have a bearing fail these days. Really bad luck! Sorry you have to go through it.

Marc
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-01-18 5:50 PM (#150612 - in reply to #150599)

Visionary

I think they have to split the cases. If they do good time for cams.

or trade it in you might be father a head

makes me wounder how many dealers have the tech to rebuild the Tranie
TRELL
Posted 2014-01-18 6:18 PM (#150613 - in reply to #150599)

Cruiser

Update: Kevin at Gainesville is doing the work says should have no problem will have it back in a week or two..We are in highland city between Lakeland and Bartow..as I stated before when all is right we love the vision but we just can't handle it breaking. like if you had a child that get sick you worry...
varyder
Posted 2014-01-18 6:42 PM (#150617 - in reply to #150599)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I with you that one, T. Hope it works out for you soon.
marcparnes
Posted 2014-01-18 7:44 PM (#150621 - in reply to #150599)

Iron Butt

Well, I spoke too soon. Rear shock has sprung a leak :-(

Marc
Allen_B
Posted 2014-01-18 8:24 PM (#150624 - in reply to #150599)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
Curious because I thought Mama Vic upgraded the transmission for improved reliability...

Makes me wonder about my 2013 if it is solid or a fluke...

/r

Allen
marcparnes
Posted 2014-01-18 8:29 PM (#150625 - in reply to #150599)

Iron Butt

If in fact a bearing failed that is purely a fluke so don't worry about it. If it had been a gear that caused the problem then we could all worry. Bearings hardly ever fail these days.

Marc
wfsdno1
Posted 2014-01-18 11:25 PM (#150626 - in reply to #150599)

New user

Well.. I feel your pain! Last summer my 09 Vision's clutch locked up. Thought it was the hydraulic system but I was wrong! My clutch pack bearing disintegrated. I thought the Polaris Extended Warranty would save me....oopps..you mean the Polaris Service Contract. Yea, I thought it was a warranty.. They agreed to fix only the part that broke...sounds nice right? Well, I had to cover the rest. Oh, you want the engine flushed to get the metal bearing race chips all out? Yup, you pay for that... What about the metal shavings now lodged between the clutch plates... Yup, you pay to have those cleaned too. Want a new oil filter...you pay for that too! As Polaris explained to me, you pay for an extended SERVICE contract to repair only what malfunctions. I love my Vision, but very displeased with Polaris. Took my dealer a month to fix mine... like you.. take it apart, find problem, call warranty to get an answer to see if this is covered... order parts... get wrong part... order replacement part.... you get the idea. Like I said, love the bike, not loving the company. Rant over....

Edited by wfsdno1 2014-01-18 11:28 PM
varyder
Posted 2014-01-19 5:15 AM (#150630 - in reply to #150621)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

marcparnes - 2014-01-18 8:44 PM Well, I spoke too soon. Rear shock has sprung a leak :-( Marc

mine did too, about 100,000 miles ago, still riding.  It's pretty much shot, I need a new one bad.  Still holds air with a slow leak down.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-01-19 8:27 AM (#150631 - in reply to #150599)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Im sorry you had transmission failure. btw i read in 2012 they changed part of the transmission AGAIN! even after the major changes to the 2011.. makes you wonder.. anyways.. im a little confused on what victory/polaris is doing wrong about this repair? if i read this right, the dealer needs to call in and explain whats going on . then someone needs to make the decision on if its covered or not? Then the parts are ordered and the work begins.? is that right? my very first guess would be.. the factory/insurance company Paying for this all would want records or proof it was First taken care of before it failed (oil changes etc). Im not even trying to suggest you didnt take care of it. but... my polaris dealer actually had a atv come in with a failed engine.. it was found out that the customer NEVER changed the break in oil ever!..... so you could imagine now many claims they get from people who Dont take care of what they purchased.. just saying.. btw talk about trany failures... google 2003-2007 honda accord transmission failure... this is the time bomb im sitting on ... doing extreme maintenance like my life depended on it. $$$$$
Allen_B
Posted 2014-01-19 10:25 AM (#150635 - in reply to #150599)

Cruiser

Clinton, CT
These reports (not specific to the transmission) are why Victory is still fighting for market share. Great bikes but generally horrible dealer network that know very little about the bikes and crap support from the factory.

I thought my dealership was kidding about needing to get email approval for every check and part but that seems to be the norm. I was VERY lucky that the dealership I purchased from (shameless plug for Motorsports Nation in Waterford CT) went to bat for me when I had clutch issues- dove into the primary with no "pre-authorization" from Polaris and was willing to eat the repairs if they denied the warranty work. They are great and I feel confident they will do the right thing, but Polaris has to be the worst company for service after the sale I've ever seen- and I've had bikes and vehicles from a ton of manufacturers. I wrestled with purchasing the extended coverage but now glad I didn't (knock-on-wood).

Please post up how you make out and what the root cause winds up being.

/r

Allen
kevinx
Posted 2014-01-23 10:44 AM (#150708 - in reply to #150599)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Just to be a little clear here. The warranty after the first year is an insurance policy administered by an outside source. When you are sitting at the desk signing papers for a new bike. Those are some of the papers you sign. This is why it is important to read the documents at the time. Under the first year the warranty is simple, and pretty much everything is covered; other then consumables. After that it is like any other insurance claim, and there is a process in place for it. Most of the stuff is a simple call or email the administrators, and they reply pretty quickly. In this case we are talking about a $2000+ ticket, and like any smart business: they needed to be sure they are not getting scammed. No different to your car insurance company sending an adjustor to the body shop. I have been a professional mechanic for 30 years, and it is the same in the car, boat, and motorcycle industry. Extended warranty is ALWAYS an insurance policy administered by a source outside the manufacturer,
XRsteve
Posted 2014-01-23 3:29 PM (#150715 - in reply to #150708)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
kevinx - 2014-01-23 10:44 AM

Just to be a little clear here. The warranty after the first year is an insurance policy administered by an outside source. When you are sitting at the desk signing papers for a new bike. Those are some of the papers you sign. This is why it is important to read the documents at the time. Under the first year the warranty is simple, and pretty much everything is covered; other then consumables. After that it is like any other insurance claim, and there is a process in place for it. Most of the stuff is a simple call or email the administrators, and they reply pretty quickly. In this case we are talking about a $2000+ ticket, and like any smart business: they needed to be sure they are not getting scammed. No different to your car insurance company sending an adjustor to the body shop. I have been a professional mechanic for 30 years, and it is the same in the car, boat, and motorcycle industry. Extended warranty is ALWAYS an insurance policy administered by a source outside the manufacturer,

Absolutely correct. By the way how ya doing Kevin ?? Are you going down for Bike Week ??
marcparnes
Posted 2014-01-23 7:24 PM (#150718 - in reply to #150630)

Iron Butt

varyder - 2014-01-19 3:15 AM

marcparnes - 2014-01-18 8:44 PM Well, I spoke too soon. Rear shock has sprung a leak :-( Marc

mine did too, about 100,000 miles ago, still riding.? It's pretty much shot, I need a new one bad.? Still holds air with a slow leak down.

This one popped the shaft seal. Leaking oil now. I just took a run up to Russell seat and back which is 1250 miles and its still damping so not ALL the oil has leaked out... yet. Dealer ordered a new one under warranty which should show up end of next week.

Marc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™