You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

What replacement headlights do you use?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Lotzafun
Posted 2011-06-18 10:46 PM (#89129 - in reply to #89125)
Subject: Re: What replacement headlights do you use?

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

Nozzledog - 2011-06-18 8:50 PM Wow, what a difference! The HID almost overpowers my Clearwaters (can only see the Clearwaters add light when they are @ 80% or more now). The two together are quite impressive. Now I wonder why Victory even offered a halogen driving light, it did absolutely nothing in comparison. Well worth the $88.

Just to make sure I'm not confused.

The PIAA 71190 kit you ordered off Amazon is a pair of HID lamps?

And you also mention installing PIAA Powersport bulbs? 

So what did you install where?

Have you used these at night yet? Any flashes from oncoming vehicles?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-06-19 12:10 AM (#89131 - in reply to #86536)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
71190 is the single unit, 71191 is a pair. I have it as my driving light. It does a fabulous job of filling in all the area below the headlights. I'm afraid to leave my HID on when there is oncoming traffic. Even my Clearwaters I turn down to about 30%. The halogen driving light used to stay on all the time without incident, but I don't know if I can do that now. The PIAA A/V Powersport Halogens are my main headlights now, They are slightly brighter than stock and slightly whiter, we shall see how they do over the long haul.
KansasGuardsman
Posted 2011-06-19 8:01 PM (#89183 - in reply to #86536)
Subject: RE: What replacement headlights do you use?

Cruiser

Wichita, Kansas
Just don't use Silver Stars.  See below.

Edited by KansasGuardsman 2011-06-19 8:01 PM

(Silverstar004.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Silverstar004.jpg (67KB - 0 downloads)
ByteN2it
Posted 2011-08-26 10:12 PM (#94833 - in reply to #86539)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
Just replaced bulbs, lost both high beams, with PIAA Night Tech H4's. When I went out for a test ride tonight (put on a new back tire too) and when I got back in the dark woods & hit the brights I think I said "wow" out loud. These are great lights, just have to see how long they last but they claim extended life. Got the pair for less than $50 & so far I very impressed with their performance. Here's the discription:

The new Night-Tech line of bulbs from PIAA features several advancements in performance, durability, and manufacturing. Through the use of a unique mix of gasses including a higher proportion of inert gases as well as a new filament material these bulbs offer up to 90 per cent more light than a conventional bulb with a greater life span. The gases, filament material and coatings on the bulbs offer a color temperature in the 3600 Kelvin range for a whiter output than standard bulbs and retain a DOT/SAE approval. The unique dual band bulb coatings not only create a whiter light but a brighter, longer range (up to 35 meters) output when compared to other bulbs. The new gas mixture, filament material, as well as manufacturing processes such as using gold plated contacts gives high performance and great looks as well as extending the life span by up to 50 per cent.

http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-10704-Night-Tech-Upgrade/dp/B00544ZD86
Thomas
Posted 2011-08-29 10:13 AM (#95064 - in reply to #94833)

Central Wisconsin

ByteN2it - 2011-08-26 10:12 PM Just replaced bulbs, lost both high beams, with PIAA Night Tech H4's. When I went out for a test ride tonight (put on a new back tire too) and when I got back in the dark woods & hit the brights I think I said "wow" out loud. These are great lights, just have to see how long they last but they claim extended life. Got the pair for less than $50 & so far I very impressed with their performance........

Brian, They look like good bulbs,hope they last for ya. Did you have fun changing them?

ByteN2it
Posted 2011-08-29 2:21 PM (#95091 - in reply to #86536)

Tourer

Beer Collins, Colorado (there is no fort)
It wasn't to horrible- I pulled the light module out one evening and confirmed it was in fact both bulbs high beams out & put in the new bulbs and buttoned it back up the next evening-about an hour each way. I'll throw myself on my sword before I pay a dealer to change a light bulb for me.
Nozzledog
Posted 2012-02-27 6:11 PM (#108775 - in reply to #88108)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Nozzledog - 2011-06-06 10:01 AM

MaddMAx2u - 2011-05-26 5:56 PM

Thanks Nozzledog. Have you used this one? I've heard many aftermarket HID's don't have the proper reflector (?) and as such have disclaimers everywhere about not being legal for on road use. Just wonderin'

No HID is considered legal in a lens designed for a Halogen bulb. That being said, the Halogen HS1 on my bike was worthless. I just ordered the PIAA HID described above off of Amazon for $88 and it will be installed this weekend. There is no way it can be as bad as the Halogen, and I doubt anyone would notice that the lens is not the HID lens, since a majority of them are.

I am also putting in the PIAA powersport H4 60/55w Star White A/V bulbs (3800K). The glass is not as blue as the Xtreme White's, so the bulb should last longer.

9 month followup.....

I just had to replace one of the PIAA powersport H4 60/55w Star White A/V bulbs after only about 10k miles on it. The low beam burnt out. I guess paying all that extra for a "anti-vibration" bulb did not pay off. The good news is, after hearing all the horror stories of changing out bulbs (the dealer allowed me to put the PIAA's in when the lens was replaced due to a faulty clip) I found that it was not that difficult. The air filter definitely needed to come off, but I left the level adjustment alone. My 3XL hands lost very little skin and I had both bulbs replaced within 45min (couldn't find a matching bulb on short notice, so I put both stock bulbs back in).
Knowing now that bulb replacement is NOT the end of the world, I will be getting future bulbs from Wal-Mart.

I am very impressed with the PIAA HID that I replaced the HS1 bulb with. It is amazingly bright and well focused to give a blanket of white/blue light below the lowbeams (no issues with oncoming traffic flashing me so far). I can barely tell that my Clearwaters are on when the HID is on as well. Only when the Clearwaters are at high do I see any added light. I still like the added visibility the Clearwaters give to other vehicles looking at me, but value wise, I could have acomplished the same for a lot less $$.
stifsmit
Posted 2013-01-01 2:13 PM (#129044 - in reply to #86597)

Puddle Jumper

Tyler Texas
any 1 have an update on piaa #70856 headlight bulbs,longevity,problems with heat or wiring getting hot.
soprano13
Posted 2013-01-06 9:44 PM (#129258 - in reply to #86536)

Cruiser

Bayonne, NJ
the phillips are the way to go best bag for the buck good quality. better and cheaper then piaa
Turk
Posted 2013-01-07 7:43 AM (#129270 - in reply to #129258)

Iron Butt

soprano13 - 2013-01-06 9:44 PM

the phillips are the way to go best bag for the buck good quality. better and cheaper then piaa

part # ?
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-01-07 8:04 AM (#129271 - in reply to #86536)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
I think the whole "anti vibration" thing is way over rated. I had a HD batwing fairing on my Nomad (which has a LOT more vibration than a Victory). I used a generic H4 bulb and never had any issues with it. I know Harley guys who use generic H4s without problems (and we know how much Harleys vibrate).
soprano13
Posted 2013-01-07 7:43 PM (#129286 - in reply to #86536)

Cruiser

Bayonne, NJ
I got the phillips xtreme 9003 2pk part#9003xps2 $ 49.99 @ pepboys
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™