You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Thinking of getting Vision
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Hambone
Posted 2013-07-11 3:06 PM (#141460)
Subject: Thinking of getting Vision

Puddle Jumper

So I'm thinking of getting a touring bike and it's down to the Vision and the Goldwing. What are some of the reasons I should go with the Vision over the Goldwing?
Thanks,
Hambone
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2013-07-11 3:11 PM (#141461 - in reply to #141460)
Subject: Re: Thinking of getting Vision

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
comfort and handling...
Hambone
Posted 2013-07-11 3:20 PM (#141462 - in reply to #141460)

Puddle Jumper

How easy is it to day routine maintenance to the Vision? I know that with the GW it can take 6 hours to pull the plastics to do some maintenance.
okie vision
Posted 2013-07-11 3:29 PM (#141464 - in reply to #141460)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
check the other recent threads. I know where there's a lightly used 2013
Denny Pink
Posted 2013-07-11 3:50 PM (#141466 - in reply to #141460)
Subject: RE: Thinking of getting Vision

Cruiser

Hambone;

One oil lubes everything, air and oil cooling so no water radiator, valves are self adjusting, maintenance free belt drive. I don't know of anyone who has worn out one of these motors yet. They really are well made. I have over 33,000 miles on my 08 Vision, and the only "maintenance" has been oil changes and tires. I'm still on the original brake pads! I'm 6'00" tall and the Vision fits me perfectly.

Denny Pink
XRsteve
Posted 2013-07-11 4:15 PM (#141467 - in reply to #141460)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Easiest oil change I've ever had on a bike. Takes about 10 minutes and no dirty hands..........
JS5Owner
Posted 2013-07-11 4:20 PM (#141468 - in reply to #141460)

Cruiser

Desert Hot Springs (Palm Springs area), CA
Simply put... VISION = more bitch'n!
rdbudd
Posted 2013-07-11 4:31 PM (#141469 - in reply to #141462)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Hambone - 2013-07-11 3:20 PM

How easy is it to day routine maintenance to the Vision? I know that with the GW it can take 6 hours to pull the plastics to do some maintenance.

Maintenance is really easy on the Vision. The air filter is a 5 minute job on the Vision, if you're not in a hurry. On the Goldwing, you have to disassemble half the bike to get to the air filter. Oil changes are very easy on either bike. The Vision is both air and oil cooled, so one fluid does everything. The oil changes are more frequent on the Vision due to the oil also being a coolant, but they are quick and easy and can literally be done in a parking lot. Belt drive vs shaft drive--basically a wash. The single sided swing arm that Honda copied from BMW does have the advantage in making rear tire changes at home easier. Rear tire changes on the Vision are pretty easy if you have a lift, but not as easy as the Goldwing (or BMW). If you get the dealer to do it, it's a moot point. The Goldwing and the Vision use the same tires and battery. Changing the headlight bulbs on either bike can make you learn new cuss words, but the Vision will probably make you learn a few extra.

The main advantages the Vision has over the Goldwing are in comfort and ride. Handling is very good on both, but the Vision has more cornering clearance, which "can" mean faster through the curves.

You really need to take both bikes on a 200 mile ride using both freeway and back roads to appreciate the differences. Both bikes are great touring bikes, but the Vision is the more comfortable ride at the end of the day.

Ronnie
Hambone
Posted 2013-07-11 4:55 PM (#141471 - in reply to #141460)

Puddle Jumper

Thanks to all for your input.

Not sure I'll be able to arrange a 20 mile test ride much less than a 200 but it's my plan to test both. I'm leaning toward the Vision personally. I love the look. I'm 5'7" and I didn't notice too much of an issue with ground control, I know I can stand up flat footed over the bike and sitting I'm on the balls of my feet so at least I'm not on my toes.

I like the idea of better cornering. My Stryker has a .25" oh shit strip on the back tire now.
baadawg
Posted 2013-07-11 5:01 PM (#141473 - in reply to #141460)

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
Leg room.
varyder
Posted 2013-07-11 5:23 PM (#141475 - in reply to #141473)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
if you're 5'7" forget the Wing.

I have done most of my own maintenance and I'm still running at 142,250 miles. This includes steering bearing replacements, belt and pulley replacement, pulling the shock assembly, replacing the exhaust, twice, and a few other odds and ends. I used to Wing It now I have Victory!! I haven't looked back, or at another brand...except Indian...and even that is a different appeal than the Vision, nothing will ever take it's place.
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-07-12 1:24 AM (#141501 - in reply to #141460)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Comfort, handling, performance, serviceability, leg room, seat height, looks, price, uniqueness...
How about MADE IN THE USA!
rdbudd
Posted 2013-07-12 10:15 AM (#141508 - in reply to #141471)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Hambone - 2013-07-11 4:55 PM

Thanks to all for your input.

Not sure I'll be able to arrange a 20 mile test ride much less than a 200 but it's my plan to test both. I'm leaning toward the Vision personally. I love the look. I'm 5'7" and I didn't notice too much of an issue with ground control, I know I can stand up flat footed over the bike and sitting I'm on the balls of my feet so at least I'm not on my toes.

I like the idea of better cornering. My Stryker has a .25" oh shit strip on the back tire now.

I'm 5'6" and can't even touch the ground with both feet at one time on the Goldwing. In fact, the Vision is the bike that kept me on heavy luxury touring bikes. I had already told the wife the Goldwing had to go and was resigned to getting a trike when the Vision came out.

The Vision is what a Goldwing with better comfort, better handling, better ride, and a "soulful" V-twin engine would look like. It's a Goldwing type of bike, only better. It does not have the electric motor smoothness of the Goldwing, but that is part of it's charm too. The Vision will not lug way down the way the Goldwing will, since it has two cylinders instead of six, and it's geared a little higher in 1st than the Goldwing, but it's not an issue once you learn the bike.

Mine's a 2008 and does not have reverse. I wish it did. Us short legged folks can make good use of reverse on a 900 pound touring bike. Being 5'7", you might appreciate reverse in some situations, like uneven parking lots or graveled parking lots. Reverse is the one and only thing I miss about the Goldwing. It's available on any Vision made from 2009 on up.

Ronnie

lstayner
Posted 2013-07-12 5:26 PM (#141517 - in reply to #141460)
Subject: RE: Thinking of getting Vision

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
Traded a 2010 wing with 26K miles for a new 2011 Vision. 19 months and 37.5K miles. I have never regretted the choice. Most Victory dealers will let you take a good demo ride of say 20 - 25 miles to get the feel of the bike. Maintenance is very easy on the Vision.
bigfoot
Posted 2013-07-12 6:07 PM (#141522 - in reply to #141460)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
The Vision has an electric on-the-fly adjustable windscreen.
The Vision will give you better gas mileage but you shouldn't use regular gas.
The Vision (2011 and up) has 5,000 mile oil changes and you don't need expensive valve adjustments.
If you're the least concerned about how much weight you can carry (rider, passenger, luggage), the Vision beats the Goldwing by 100 pounds.
The available leg/foot positions on the Vision's long floorboard are nice on a long trip and you can get a heel-toe shifter for $100.
The Vision is Made In the USA, the Goldwing used to be made in Ohio but no more.
The Vision comes with ABS as standard equipment, while the Goldwing with ABS costs $28,100 list.
Drop the Vision while standing still and nothing gets broken. No such luck with a Goldwing.
I believe they both have hydraulic clutches.
The Vision's trunk/centerstack can be removed giving you two different bikes in one.
The Goldwing wants to stop at every Dairy Queen it passes.
rdbudd
Posted 2013-07-12 7:32 PM (#141524 - in reply to #141522)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
bigfoot - 2013-07-12 6:07 PM

The Vision (2011 and up) has 5,000 mile oil changes and you don't need expensive valve adjustments.

Drop the Vision while standing still and nothing gets broken. No such luck with a Goldwing.

Many of us have been going 5000 miles per oil change, in our 2008 to 2010 bikes, using synthetic oil anyway. Using the same logic (double the factory recommended intervals) the 2011+ could probably go much more than 5000 miles using synthetic oil. 5000 miles, either way, for sure.

The Goldwing does have tip over protectors too, and they work.

Technically, the Goldwing needs expensive valve adjustments, but in practice, they seldom need adjusted. The Vision never needs a valve adjustment--they're hydraulic and automatic.

Also, the Goldwing has a little bit more power than the Vision at speeds over 100 MPH when both are stock. 5th gear passing power of both bikes is about equal, stock to stock (up to 100 MPH). For a price less than many Goldwing owners spend on Plasti-chrome and lights, you can turn another 30 HP loose on the Vision (it's there, but restricted by the EPA tuning), which then spanks the Goldwing in pretty much any situation. Fuel economy still beats the Goldwing and reliability is unaffected.

Ronnie

Easttexasrider
Posted 2013-07-12 7:41 PM (#141525 - in reply to #141460)

Cruiser

Lindale, TX
Victory is much more comfortable.
Chief
Posted 2013-07-12 9:48 PM (#141533 - in reply to #141460)

Puddle Jumper

Grafton, Oh
IMHO these bikes are the only ones in their class. It all boils down to comfort, what fits you best. Both have ample power and great handling, ect.ect.ect.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-07-13 7:10 AM (#141547 - in reply to #141460)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I ride with goldwingers and i will say this.. they have alot more storage than we do. but aside from that.

the air filter on a wing is silly complex...
with the vision you get a 6 Speed instead of a 5 speed , all my winger buddy were PISSED when the new wing came out and it was STILL only a 5 speed...
Now for me (this is opinion of course) there is a cool factor into riding a vision, Especially when you ride with a bunch of wings... (cookie cutter).. When we go anywhere... everyone comes to my Vision first to look at.. They some times joke saying they are Invisible when they ride with me..
i also wanted to add there is a very serious difference in seat height!!!! you sit ON a goldwing, you sit IN a vision....
dont get me wrong the vision has its +'s like standard reverse, longer oil change interval...
Nozzledog
Posted 2013-07-13 1:00 PM (#141562 - in reply to #141460)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I love how statistics can prove anything...
In the 2013 Iron Butt Rally, 56% of the Gold Wings did not even finish. 100% of the Victory Visions did!

Ok, truth... There were 16 Gold Wings and only 1 Vision. Only 2 of the GWs finished higher than the Vision though. Congratulations Connie Gabrick, 28th place, 9,295 miles in 11 days on her 2009 Vision.
(p.s. 3 Harleys entered and finished, only one beating Connie)
varyder
Posted 2013-07-13 1:07 PM (#141563 - in reply to #141460)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
keep in mind it is the riders endurance and time management that helps complete the IBs. The machine only has to be in working order and tolerable for you to ride. I've seen a Harley Sportster that was moded up to compete the IB rally, different seat, auxiliary fuel tank and other creature comforts. The Vision just requires less mod to sit in the saddle for extended periods.
Chef John
Posted 2013-07-13 7:11 PM (#141571 - in reply to #141460)

Cruiser

Delray Beach, FL United States
I sold my vtx1800 for a vision and I am SO GLAD I DID !!!! Best Bike Ever !!!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™