You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Polaris Industries orders recall on 2008-2013 Indians
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

opas ride
Posted 2013-08-31 7:40 PM (#143910)
Subject: Polaris Industries orders recall on 2008-2013 Indians

Tourer

Interesting to note that a recent post on the VOG web-site reveals that Polaris has ordered a recall on the rear rim on motorcycles built by the previous owner from 2008-2013. Apparently the rim needs to be checked for cracks so the rear tire does not go flat and lead to a possible accident..You can go to their web-site and read the recall for yourself......Screw the Vision riders safety, but God forbid we mess with our new "classic baby" Indian...Way to go Polaris, shows your true colors.......

Edited by opas ride 2013-08-31 7:42 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kevinx
Posted 2013-08-31 7:45 PM (#143911 - in reply to #143910)
Subject: Re: Polaris Industries orders recall on 2008-2013 Indians

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Thank NHTSA for it. Forced recall, not voluntary
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-01 4:10 AM (#143925 - in reply to #143910)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I think a forced recall looks even worse than a voluntary one.. im curious if we will ever see anything related to all the visions with cracking front fenders
varyder
Posted 2013-09-01 6:05 AM (#143926 - in reply to #143910)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

I think we will see a recall if enough people who has had the problem will address it directly to Polaris and the NHTSA. I think I'll make that my next step because the more I think about it, the more absurd it gets. My bolts were properly installed and no cracks visible. I would pull my fender to replace the tire, because I would do my fork fluid change at the same time. When it broke, I was able to take my fingernail and scrap away plastic around the hole like it was hardened cake. The rest of the fender seems to be fine and flexible. I'll draft up a letter to NHTSA over the next few days and get it sent off.

On a further note, the King Mountain Indians are no where near the same as the Spirit Lake Indians.  It's sad to think that the King Mountain under Stellican and under Polaris hid this issue without issuing their own recall.

The problem with the fender issue is that it is not being presented correctly.  I think it was addressed early on as a warranty problem instead of a safety issue.  Then when it was addressed as a safety issue, they were already prepared to answer as a cosmetic problem.  I may never get nothing for it, because I had a mud flap on mine so I blamed that instead of Polaris.  But, even with a mud flap, because they sell them too, it should have never did what it did.  The brittleness is what is really bothering me.

Edited by varyder 2013-09-01 6:14 AM
texasgrumpy
Posted 2013-09-01 8:34 AM (#143929 - in reply to #143910)

Cruiser

I think it is impressive that they are willing to recall a product that they had no hand in building but now that they own Indian are willing to fix a problem.
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-01 9:15 AM (#143933 - in reply to #143910)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
Varyder: let us know how that letter is received and replied to by the NHTSA. Thanks...........
varyder
Posted 2013-09-01 11:34 AM (#143939 - in reply to #143929)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

texasgrumpy - 2013-09-01 9:34 AM I think it is impressive that they are willing to recall a product that they had no hand in building but now that they own Indian are willing to fix a problem.

2012-2013 are Polaris, they just took the leftovers of the KM bikes.  They did do some improvement and the VIN plates have Polaris on them.

Street Eagle
Posted 2013-09-01 11:41 AM (#143942 - in reply to #143910)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
I'm curious wha the catalyst was for Polaris issuing this recall. Obviously it wasn't discovered during design as a potential problem (then again we will never know that even if it was), during final testing post manufacturing or by owners reporting the issue.
SteveS
Posted 2013-09-01 1:38 PM (#143947 - in reply to #143942)

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
Street Eagle - 2013-09-01 11:41 AM

I'm curious what the catalyst was for Polaris issuing this recall. Obviously it wasn't discovered during design as a potential problem (then again we will never know that even if it was), during final testing post manufacturing or by owners reporting the issue.

According to KevinX, several posts above, the NHTSA was the catalyst when they directed Polaris to recall the affected bikes. That is pretty much how the fender issue is likely to go down at some point. KevinX hasn't weighed in on the fender thing, at least not that I've seen. I'm curious what his opinion is on that subject. I suspect it could be better for him, from a career point of view, not to have a public opinion about such things at this point in time.
opas ride
Posted 2013-09-01 1:54 PM (#143948 - in reply to #143910)

Tourer

I think he pretty much stated his feelings on the VMC web-site..Fenders falling into the same category as brake pads and clutch plates!! WTF??
SteveS
Posted 2013-09-01 2:03 PM (#143950 - in reply to #143948)

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
opas ride - 2013-09-01 1:54 PM

I think he pretty much stated his feelings on the VMC web-site..Fenders falling into the same category as brake pads and clutch plates!! WTF??

Oh, I don't venture over there much at all.
kevinx
Posted 2013-09-01 2:05 PM (#143951 - in reply to #143947)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
SteveS - 2013-09-01 2:38 PM

I'm curious what the catalyst was for Polaris issuing this recall. Obviously it wasn't discovered during design as a potential problem (then again we will never know that even if it was), during final testing post manufacturing or by owners reporting the issue.

According to KevinX, several posts above, the NHTSA was the catalyst when they directed Polaris to recall the affected bikes. That is pretty much how the fender issue is likely to go down at some point. KevinX hasn't weighed in on the fender thing, at least not that I've seen. I'm curious what his opinion is on that subject. I suspect it could be better for him, from a career point of view, not to have a public opinion about such things at this point in time.

I think it is a dangerous piece of design; that has shown excessive failures. I think that Polaris's stance that customers are at fault for not inspecting an impossible to see part; is total bullshit. I think calling an engineering failure; normal wear and tear. Is a crock. I think that if I had a career opera unity opportunity with Polaris. I would already be working there(applied several times, but they want degrees over knowledge). I think I like to say what I feel. That's all my weighing in...LOL
XRsteve
Posted 2013-09-01 3:42 PM (#143957 - in reply to #143951)

Visionary

Georgia, west of Atlanta
kevinx - 2013-09-01 2:05 PM

I think it is a dangerous piece of design; that has shown excessive failures. I think that Polaris's stance that customers are at fault for not inspecting an impossible to see part; is total bullshit. I think calling an engineering failure; normal wear and tear. Is a crock. I think that if I had a career opera unity opportunity with Polaris. I would already be working there(applied several times, but they want degrees over knowledge). I think I like to say what I feel. That's all my weighing in...LOL

Straight and to the point as usual, I think you stated your position perfectly clear Kevin. I say bravo.......
opas ride
Posted 2013-09-01 4:35 PM (#143960 - in reply to #143910)

Tourer

KevinX, bravo, bravo, I agree with the college degree statement for the most part...I did not get promoted at Ford for several years, even though I was told I was the best qualified candidate most times, until after 13 years of night school I got a BGS and later an MBA..but as Ray Crock, the founder of MacDonalds used to say "the world is full of educated derelicts"....Some of these must work for Polaris/Victory and call themselves"engineers"..
SteveS
Posted 2013-09-01 7:24 PM (#143969 - in reply to #143951)

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
kevinx - 2013-09-01 2:05 PM

So, don't hold back-speak your mind. I had been curious what someone on the inside felt. Now I know. It's good to have your insight here. It seems like they could offer an inexpensive, half assed fix just by inserting a stamped steel bracket below everything that would spread the pressure load across the plastic, plus act as a support shelf if the plastic did start coming apart. A bridge-so to speak. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™