You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Sena SMH10 Bluetooth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

TLane1911
Posted 2014-07-09 1:22 PM (#161092)
Subject: Sena SMH10 Bluetooth

Puddle Jumper

Maylene, AL
Does anyone have any experience using this set?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ljurgens
Posted 2014-07-09 2:02 PM (#161094 - in reply to #161092)
Subject: Re: Sena SMH10 Bluetooth

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
I do. And I think there are some others here who do to.

Here is my setup and how I use it. Let me know if you have any questions:

-Sena SMH10 dual headset kit (my helmet and wife's helmet)
-Sena SR10 connected to a Midland GRMS/FRS radio with a PTT button on bars. the SR10 would also allow me to plug my GPS into it for turn by turn.
-Ipod touch (mounted in the right saddle bag XM cubby).
-Samsung S3 Android phone.

I turned off the VOX activation due to wind noise in the wife's helmet, we just click the jog dial to talk.
I can talk with anyone else who has GRMS/FRS radio.
Phone calls are simple, I just say hello and it answers. They have no idea I am riding.

I do not have the Victory jumper and dongles for the Vision, they are about $140 for each dongle and the jumper is another $70. And I think there is an accessory harness needed for yet another $70, so $280 for those parts.

What I do have is a harness that another member here built and wrote a tech article on, I built one from those directions. The harness plugs into the bikes stereo and allows me to then plug in a basic bluetooth transmitter (kept in the small cubby) to get the bikes audio to the Sena. Volume is set on the Sena headset, all other controls work on the bike for FM/Weather/Ipod.

So far I like it. The only downside in my setup is keeping the transmitter dongle charged. If I can figure out the music sharing or if the wife just wants to listen to her own music then a transmitter that can be charged while playing would solve this issue.
southjerseyrider
Posted 2014-07-09 5:15 PM (#161102 - in reply to #161092)
Subject: RE: Sena SMH10 Bluetooth

Tourer

Vineland, NJ United States

I've had it since it came out.  We love it.  I don't have it wired into the bike or GPS, I just use it to intercom with my wife and for each of us to be able to make and receive phone calls.  Also, if I ride with anyone else who has a bluetooth (Scala, Sena, etc) you can also talk to them.  My wife and I like that it's live, two way comm and you don't have to hit any push to talk buttons.  We just came back from West Virginia on I-81, speed limit 75mph, no problem, we had conversation the whole way.

wdwurker
Posted 2014-07-11 6:39 AM (#161158 - in reply to #161092)

Cruiser

Wow... sounds pretty complicated, I don't have anyone to talk to so I use mine with the Bluetooth for my Ipod Touch, GPS, and IPhone. Works good but the battery life could be longer. Maybe by wiring it up, the battery is no longer an issue?
The only other tidbit I could add is that with my fat head and the Neotech helmet, sometimes I feel like I'm eating the foam boom mic.
luterdan
Posted 2014-07-11 7:03 AM (#161160 - in reply to #161092)

Cruiser

Marietta, GA
My wife bought us a pair of the Uclear bluetooth headsets (http://www.uclear-digital.com/us/) and the one great thing about them is no boom mic. it picks up voice sounds "magically" - but it works. i was having an issue with the unit, sent it back for repair, and i switched back to a scala and my wife complained that my music on my bike was bothering her when she was riding hers (mic picking it up) but the uclear inside of my helmet doesn't pick up the radio or road noise, just my voice. I have yet to find a BT headset that can last as long as the vision, way too comfortable, too easy to do 7 or 8 hrs which is pushing the limits of BT. Would love to find something different but i'm not a fan of anything needing a PTT button.
icemann
Posted 2014-08-10 9:53 PM (#164128 - in reply to #161092)

Cruiser

, OH
I went a total different route. cheaper too.
I stopped buy parts express in ohio and picked up a couple of these. They have different models. But this one is just a Bluetooth sender so to speak.
The other model is a transmitter and a receiver unit. All have power cord, and headphone cords. The tx/rx unit I use to run my sound bar and/or subwoofers on the other side of the room in a theatre. connect one to the stereo the other to the speaker. Signals passes between blue tooth modules. works great.

ANYWAY OFF TOPIC.
http://www.parts-express.com/battery-powered-bluetooth-wireless-aud...

This unit is about the size of a small cell phone battery. I plug it into my sena. Then I can Bluetooth my phone to the parts express. and the audio goes into the sena. I can connect both of my Scala G9's to the sena and works great. $20
donetracey
Posted 2014-08-11 1:26 AM (#164134 - in reply to #161092)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
I am on my SECOND set of helmets with the SENA - problem is - if you buy a new helmet - you need a new helmet 'mounting kit'.

I have used the SENA for 5 years - and still the originals, original battery. But I am told I will have to replace the original with a new kit if I need new helmets (and I do). Good part about this - is you then buy the improvements to the original SENA - which I have been happy with.

So I will soon be buying new ...
donetracey
Posted 2014-08-11 1:31 AM (#164135 - in reply to #161092)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
And I just read a post about SENA SMH20's - THANKYOU !!! I will be buying those instead of replacing my SMH10's...

bmwrider1954
Posted 2014-08-11 8:55 AM (#164138 - in reply to #161160)

North Billerica, MA
+1 on the U Clear units. I bought a pair to replace my aging Chatterbox blue tooth mikes and speakers. One of the Chatterbox units gave up the ghost and after looking at lots of manufacturers, I decided on the U Clears.

The technology has come along quite far in the five years between headsets, and the fact that the U Clear units do not need a mike sold me. Very easy to install, set up and use.
Oldman47
Posted 2014-08-11 11:44 AM (#164143 - in reply to #161092)

Tourer

Central Illinois
I use the SENA SMH10 mostly as an intercom system. When I am riding 2 up I can run with the system on all day long and just talk back and forth. I often run more than 500 miles in a day and have never run out of battery. I do not use the VOX because it gives me false triggers but just opening up the mike makes it like sitting next to someone in a car and that can be done all day long. We even leave ours on at a gas stop so that if one goes inside to get a drink or something we can still talk back and forth. The things just keep on working.
ljurgens
Posted 2014-08-11 12:05 PM (#164144 - in reply to #161092)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States
I just got back from sturgis. We had 6 guys all using SENA headsets. 5 on the new SMH20S and 1 on the SMH10. We could all talk to each other, and had all 6 in group intercom mode, even though SENA said that would not work! The 20s is so much better than the 10, its not even close. The 20s could carry a crystal clear conversation from an open face helmet at 80 mph going down I-90 with no problems, at least on bikes with windscreens. One of the cool new features is that you can tap on your helmet to wake it up and it asks for your command, pretty slick.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™