You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Breakin' all the rules
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

RotnRat
Posted 2008-09-07 10:52 AM (#17622)
Subject: Breakin' all the rules

Cruiser

South of Houston Tx
I was just thinking about my Vision purchase, and it occurred to me that I broke several of my own rules about purchases.

1. Never buy a new vehicle, buy it used and let the original owner take the depreciation hickey.
What can I say, I'm guilty

2. Never buy a first year model, let them get the bugs worked out then buy.
Again, I'm guilty

3. Never buy on the spur of the moment.
Well, we were in Houston at MD Anderson with my son and had a couple hours between his appointments so we ran over to the nearest Victory dealer just to "take a look" after looking, we left the salesman our pertinent information and headed back to the hospital. He called me around 3:30 and said, "come pick up your new Vision" we got there at about a quarter past 4:00 and I was signed up and leaving the lot on my new Vision at 5:00 PM

4. Never buy anything in a pretty package, It'll cost you twice as much.
Well, as far as the Vision goes, it was the "pretty package" that got me interested to begin with

Like I said, I broke the rules - but I couldn't be happier about it. I guess I still have that rebellious spirit of my youth, and I thought I'd grown out of that!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Indiana RoadRunner
Posted 2008-09-07 1:00 PM (#17626 - in reply to #17622)
Subject: Re: Breakin' all the rules

Tourer

Dale, Indiana
"spur of the moment."

I have to admit I am weak!

I was off work because of an operation.
Wasn't supposed to up and walking as much as I was.

However, one Friday in January I went out to ‘just look' at bikes.

I had read much about the New Vision and I liked what folks had been saying about the Victory bikes.

Went into my Victory dealer to ‘just look'.

3 hour later my wife called me to see where I was. Told her I was accessorizing my new Vision. She was shocked!

I didn't test ride the Vision, heck I hadn't been on a bike in over 20 years. I couldn't have test rode it even if I wanted to because of my operation. I just fell for the looks and I wanted a tour-bike and I was going to buy one of some kind. The Vision just wasn't boring like the Goldwing's appeared to be.

Besides it was really cold (15 degrees).
Gary (the shop owner) did roll the bike outside so I could see it in the sun.
WOW!

Ok I signed my intent to buy.

They trailer it to me the next day.
Temp was –1. I was scared to death to ride it into my garage. One of the guys delivering her started her up and rode her into the garage.

Rode her the first time in February.
Made sure nobody was around!
Scared to death (damn thing felt like a monster).
Went out driveway so stiff that I looked like a statue sitting on a bike.
Started down road.
What the heck have I got myself into I thought!
Damn thing felt good.
Rode around for over an hour.

Then rode home.
Driveway is gravel (at first gravel felt like driving on ice).
Did what I didn't want to do. Rode off the left side of driveway into grass that was slick because of thawing ground.
Bike started to slip and lean over.
(Oh crap)
Got her up and she hit the rocks and shot across the driveway up the bank.
Got her stopped facing up hill.
Was just glad I landed upright.
Backed her back off the bank.
Got my wits about me and headed for the garage.
Quickly removed mud from tires before wife saw it … "I told you so".

Thought about a few hours and got her back out and rode some more.

Paid for her March and the rest is history.

Now my Vision and I are ‘as one'.
I feel like I was born on this bike and we both understand each other (she goes where I tell her and I smile).

I call her 'she' and 'her' because I call all fine machines 'she' and 'her'.

I did it all wrong.
However, I never hid the fact that I was (and still am) a novice.
At 49 I wanted a change from work work work to work and play.
Midlife crisis too as my wife says.

First thing I learned, was how to do the ‘bike wave'.
I still don't dress like a biker … but I am working on it.

Wife loves riding with me, however she (like me) was scared to death when we rode "The Dragon" in June. (All I wanted was for it to end).

Life without my Vision.
Please don't scare me with that idea!
I am on the bike of my dreams and will ride her into the Pearly Gates.

Edited by Indiana RoadRunner 2008-09-07 1:14 PM
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-09-07 3:52 PM (#17629 - in reply to #17622)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I bought it without even riding mine, even though the salesman offered and had already started her up for me. I've rode just about all the other tour bikes and knew the specs on the engines. I knew it was right for me when I sat on it. I had just finished browsing all the new Harley's and was Pi$$ed at how the salesman treated me (it was the third strike for Harley). Maybe it's because I'm young (one would think 32 would be the prime target) maybe it's because there were lots of folks hanging out with their yuppie bandana's and Harley apparel or maybe it's becuase I already had my financing lined up and had a good idea of what I wanted. I found Victory that afternoon and had only seen the bike on the internet before that. The salesman showed me the features (that he knew of, he was younger than I) and we began price points. I had showed up at the end of the day and had to be home 300 mi away that night on a Saturday. In about an hour start to finish, I had secured my bike, a few accessories and was ready to rack up miles. I felt the same way you did and always said the same thing about buying vehicles. I think maybe (for folks like us who are concerned about these rules) nothing else fit. The previous bikes before fit the "rules" profile. The one I owned when I bought the Vision was slightly used (an 05), already accessorized/customized with lots of $ that I DID not have to spend on it, proven and a safe buy. She was bought cash, so I didn't owe a dime on her but she didn't fit. I liked her okay for around town and didn't want to part with her because she was fully custom painted, shaved and unique... Happy Father's day Dad! LOL I gave it to him because I didn't wanna see her go. Jane has definitely been worth the risk and the pains of "no local dealership". She's a good fit but still a work in progress. Someone like me needs something to do with "spare" time anyway. It's what keeps me outta trouble! I am asuming that I'll never buy again like this. It's not a trend for me at least. This is saying alot for the Vision. The model is so progressive that it pulled me out of my "wait and see" comfort zone. I don't see this bike (or ANY) getting cheaper, so I think that we may have actually "beaten the market" here. I'll be buying the extended warranty in the mean time, just encase.
varyder
Posted 2008-09-07 6:25 PM (#17638 - in reply to #17629)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Yeah, I broke a few rules. I put down a deposit with no solid intent of getting one soon back in October 07. Wanted a Midnight Cherry Tour and was looking at this spring. I had a lot of wishful thinking when I told the dealer I would like to get one soon but had to wait until spring. Well, a special order was turned down in November. I just bought a '93 GL1500 and was settling on riding that through the winter. Well, the dealer called in the morning on a Friday and said that the MC was available for purchase. I said sorry, I'll have to wait. Well, I picked up the Wing with new tires and rear bushing and rode it home and realized that I couldn't handle this bike with the wife unit. I expressed my concern to her and she said "Go get the Vision" I took delivery the following day!

Not a new purchaser, but made my mind up in February of '07 that the Vision was my bike. I read and read to know and understand Victory and the Vision and the more I read, the more I knew this was my bike without even seeing one in person.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™