You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

08 won't start
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2015-03-20 8:26 PM (#171364)
Subject: 08 won't start

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

went to start the bike this after riding an hour earlier.  It cranked momentarily then it stopped.  The N in the neutral shifter position went the line like occurs when the kill switch is activated.  The dash lights come on but none of the headlights or running lights come on.  If I leave the switch in the ON position, there is a cycling click, with the dash light dimming slightly.  Nothing happens when the starter is pressed.

Any one has any ideas where to start?  I'll start troubleshooting tomorrow, but hope someone has the quick answer.  Anyone? Anyone?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2015-03-20 9:57 PM (#171367 - in reply to #171364)
Subject: Re: 08 won't start

Visionary

Brighton, TN
It be a battree
pollolittle
Posted 2015-03-20 10:02 PM (#171368 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I'm sure this behemoth has a start relay somewhere. Or could it be the starter. Can you bump start it. Or jump it? Maybe the ignition key switch is stuck in the accessory position. See if that recall pad under your keys switch is still there, may have moved.
donetracey
Posted 2015-03-21 2:05 AM (#171370 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Chris - are you a RIDER ? Or are you a RESTORER ?

Me ? I will just continue doing what I have been doing for 56 years. "IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT. IF IT'S BROKE - REPLACE IT".

Oh, and if it's just 'maintenance' - "MAINTAIN IT" .... but a bike at 280,000 km - "REPLACE IT".

Or don't ride .... there comes a time.

Why don't you and Pollo come to the Pacific Northwest Victory meeting July 16-19, 2015 Mount Vernon, WA ? We'll be there ...
varyder
Posted 2015-03-21 4:27 AM (#171371 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Ha! Don! I hear you, but this bike is still new to me, so I'm maintaining it. The trip to the PNW would be a great one, I have a desire to do that this year, but I did last year too, so we'll see how it goes.

I just replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago with a 330cca one. It was working great, until today. Connections are tight, so I don't see that as a culprit. There is no headlights, and there is a cyclic click on a 5 sec interval. I'm thinking relay, since I'm getting dash lights like it's on ACC, far right, position, but it's in run position. There is no difference when I flip to the ACC position except the clicking stops. The clicking occurs without the starter button being engaged. Nothing new happens when I hit the starter.

I'll be troubleshooting today and let you all know the outcome. I think it's a relay/fuse situation, I hope. But to Don's point, lift the radiator cap and drive another bike underneath it; what we would say when somebody's clunker was having problems.
BillyJoe
Posted 2015-03-21 6:55 AM (#171377 - in reply to #171364)

Cruiser

, AR United States
What does the volt meter read with the key on and then with the start button pushed?
varyder
Posted 2015-03-21 9:29 AM (#171379 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
okay, I go get a new 10a mini relay, even started doing a video on the symptoms and use it to show the before and after, and what do you know, the bike just starts up....this thing has a mind of it's own.
varyder
Posted 2015-03-21 9:30 AM (#171380 - in reply to #171377)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

BillyJoe - 2015-03-21 7:55 AM What does the volt meter read with the key on and then with the start button pushed?

When it was doing what it was doing, pressing the start button had zero affect.  Voltmeter was reading above 12.

pollolittle
Posted 2015-03-21 11:08 AM (#171384 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Bet it's the key switch
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-03-21 5:34 PM (#171390 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

keyswitch would be a good bet
there is even the ground wire that runs to the motor case be hind the battery that could be loose
pollolittle
Posted 2015-03-21 6:47 PM (#171391 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Johnny vision - never thought about checking the other end of the ground cable. I know you make mention a lot about the battery cables. I experienced just that early on. It was a combo of the key switch and the battery. Riding along and bike would just power down. Dealer replaced all the key switches to match when I added the trunk. That's when it started acting like va1billionmilesryders ride. I could get some lights but not all. Dealer wouldn't believe it was the key.

Back to the battery, wonder why the battery cables on the vic brands have such an issue with the battery and their connections. Do the other brands have an issue like that?
varyder
Posted 2015-03-22 7:52 AM (#171395 - in reply to #171364)
Subject: RE: 08 won't start

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

As you see in the video it just started to want to work again without replacing the breaker.  With that said, I'm going over it one more time concerning the connectors.  I just installed a new battery and I did get them tight, I always (almost) double check, and recheck these things, but to the touch the cables are tight.  I need to check the switch, it may not be that it's loose, but it could be a thin build up of corrosion.  That is not surprising since it sat for a month without starting, except twice, and we had a very cool evening with a lot of fog that day it failed.  I had just got back from the auito part store and I wanted to make an instructional video that might help someone else later.  I did not expect it to just start working as you can tell in the video.  I like when I say, "and if you notice N comes on...the N just came on..."  Hmmmmm.  This is really not the first time things like this has happened to me.  When it first happened, the dash, I turned the switch on and off a dozen or more times hoping it would correct itself, but it waits until I'm videoing to do so.  Thanks for watching.

johnnyvision
Posted 2015-03-22 6:02 PM (#171404 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

I use lock washers on battery bolts never come loose. Sealed battery never get dirty contacts like battery of old

Vic use the cheapest old style cables you can buy. Drag Specialties or Parts Unlimited sells flexible cables. There is something about them being able to flex makes them better and I think they care more current. Harley had the old stiff cables for many years and nothing but trouble. They even get corrosion in side them that takes for ever to find
willtill
Posted 2015-03-22 7:38 PM (#171407 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Thicker cables carry more current. I replaced the negative battery cable on my Rocket with 10 gauge; and holy chit does it ever spin over faster now....
varyder
Posted 2015-04-01 9:01 AM (#171574 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Okay, did it again this morning, on I-95, seems to be my favorite spot for failures. One time is was my fuel pump, the other time was when the belt guard came loose and threw my belt, and now this, no power. I sat on the side of I-95 fiddling with the fuse/breaker. And you know what, it finally started again. I took the chance and rode on in the rest of the 20 miles to work with no further incident. Being this is the Ignition breaker that is clicking, I can't determine is the breaker faulty, or is there something in the circuit causing it to momentarily dump and the breaker is doing its job. The perplexing thing is why it does the DASH -- display, does that indicate something specific or just a symptom? The N or gear is displayed normally even if the bike is in ACC or the Kill Switch is activated. I guess I'll have to drop the coins and see if the dealer can put it on the wrench and give me some codes. Any ideas are helpful.
willtill
Posted 2015-04-01 9:36 AM (#171576 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Man... that has to be aggravating. I had a F350 Diesel once that did that; wouldn't fire at all but turn over. Let it sit for awhile and it would start right up. Ended up trading it in for a gasser....
pollolittle
Posted 2015-04-01 10:12 AM (#171579 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Key switch mine gave me all kinds of similar fits. Losing power while rolling, entire electrical off while riding, no starts then wait. Just a guess like usual.. Dealer didn't believe it till I told him to give me back my original key switch and all was well.
varyder
Posted 2015-04-01 11:13 AM (#171580 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'll pull the switch, Brian, and but some of the dielikeablegrease on it. the confusing part is the breaker clicking in a cyclic fashion, every 3 to 4 seconds.

Will, it's only aggravating when I'm in the hammer lane full throttle and it dies. I had enough coast and little to my right to allow me swing over to a merge point where I could shield myself.
pollolittle
Posted 2015-04-01 12:12 PM (#171582 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
My switch was making bad connections internally. There was no serviceable area. I figure yours has finally committed failure. All the testing showed good so something internal was awry. I had everything you describe except the click and that just may be the switch arcing over.. I'd be in the hammer lane and all dead. Pull over cycle switch and bam fire up again. Couple of times I remember it dieing pull clutch in cycle switch drop clutch and let it fire again. I was a bit perturbed with a brand new bike acting up. See if you can get the dealer to loan you one. I bet there is a key switch on a shelf. When they added the tour pack to the vision street it came with all new locks and ignition.
pollolittle
Posted 2015-04-01 12:14 PM (#171583 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Better yet have em just pull a switch off a brand new bike. Or just buy the bike.
varyder
Posted 2015-04-01 1:13 PM (#171585 - in reply to #171364)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

The switch is newer than the bike, the original broke some 10's of thousands miles ago. But I won't rule it out, may soak it WD40.

I can't get a new bike yet, this one is just getting broke in...

Edited by varyder 2015-04-01 1:29 PM
JSP
Posted 2015-04-01 2:04 PM (#171588 - in reply to #171364)

Cruiser

on the edge of Los Angeles
Chris,

Between my 08 Vision and wife's 10 X/C her are the areas that I have dealt with:

Vision: Ignition Switch had the rubber wedge upgrade early on that held it together from the bottom. At one point I did disassemble it to clean contacts and service but I see you mention a new one is installed. The kill switch on the handle bar I have serviced twice cleaning the contacts and the second time I used dielectric grease to help keep it in good shape. This switch is a bit of a bitch to get apart so be easy on it.

Bad Battery caused it to go funky at idle but that seems a bit different than what you have here.

I have replaced the main circuit breaker on the Vision due to my unintended destruction of the OEM unit. I used one from a local auto parts store and currently carry one with Just in case. That leads me to the X/C

2010 X/C Main circuit breaker failed while at hwy speeds. Bike was very new. Wife smartly pulled in clutch and we were able to coast to a safe spot. It started once more then dead. The breaker was simply a faulty piece. Symptoms were similar to yours at that time.

Good Luck in your diagnosis we want to see 200 k from her.

Jed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™