You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Elite III Tires last longer on the Vision?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Easttexasrider
Posted 2013-09-22 6:28 PM (#144804)
Subject: Elite III Tires last longer on the Vision?

Cruiser

Lindale, TX

I'm getting ready for a Arkansas trip in October.  Just changed oil and checked everything over.  I Religiously keep both tires at 40 pounds pressure.  Checking my tires which both have exactly 12,500 miles on them, and found they both have plenty of tread above the wear bars.

The reason this is exceptional to me, is I ride with Gold Wing riders who are suggesting I need to change tires before the October trip based on their knowledge of tire wear.  None have been able to get this kind of milage out of the same tires.

Have you Vision riders found you get more milage out of your tires than on other bikes?  I know I changed both tires at 12,500 because of habit after owning a Kawasaki Nomad  & BMW K1200LT who both needed rear tires well before 12,000 miles.  In hindsight, I probably had tread left on the factory set.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
johnnyvision
Posted 2013-09-22 7:07 PM (#144806 - in reply to #144804)
Subject: Re: Elite III Tires last longer on the Vision?

Visionary

Hope your using a good air gage to check them. The pencil ones are junk. You should make it to 15 thousand

($(KGrHqV,!o8E63YcElkoBPDiTpNhCg~~60_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments $(KGrHqV,!o8E63YcElkoBPDiTpNhCg~~60_1.jpg (26KB - 11 downloads)
Easttexasrider
Posted 2013-09-22 7:10 PM (#144807 - in reply to #144804)

Cruiser

Lindale, TX
Great air gauge. Flexible hose is a must. I am constantly amazed by my Vision.
BrandonM7
Posted 2013-09-22 11:22 PM (#144814 - in reply to #144804)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Of course riding style has a big effect on tire life, so let's extrapolate some other ideas from that -- the GW and Vision weigh about the same, so ridden similarly should have roughly similar wear on the shoulders and front tire at least. But the GW has a little more power total, and makes a LOT more at several areas of the rev range. Basically hard-throttling the GW at any given RPM is going to put as much scrub on the rear tire as hard-throttling your Vision at it's perfect peak power range. Over a lot of miles (it amazes me how many miles touring tires get - I'm accustomed to 2500 miles being shot on all of my previous sport/sporty bikes, this 12-15k is outstanding) that could add up to a good bit more wear on the same tire, specifically the rear center portion. Mebbe.
Turk
Posted 2013-09-23 6:43 AM (#145815 - in reply to #144814)

Iron Butt

I use a high quality gauge to ensure that my tire pressure is 38/41 cold, every morning, before leaving the garage. My first two rear E3's averaged 17.5k miles. I have about 10k on my current E3 and it's in great shape.

I think pressure has much more to do with tire longevity than riding style (tire mfg's affirm this).... other than doing burnouts all the time.
varyder
Posted 2013-09-23 7:44 AM (#145817 - in reply to #144804)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
The old E3 are discontinued. The new E3 MTs are the ones now on the shelf. They are suppose to be longer life. Same price, and I find they have no howling as did the old E3s. I miss the howling.
jimtom
Posted 2013-09-23 8:17 AM (#145818 - in reply to #145817)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
I get 16-17K out of the back and my last front tire went 24,800 mieles! But I run mine past what others consider "safe"
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-23 8:21 AM (#145819 - in reply to #144804)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
im sick of dunlop E III's.... nothing great about them.. no exceptional anything. maybe the newer ones will be better. But as of yesterday i changed my own front tire in my garage and i used a Avon cobra AV71. And if the cobra comes out to be average then i will try something else. The dunlop E3 will be my last choice for another tire.. Ive had them on 3 different bikes now.. btw amazon.com is where i got my cobra tire for $160 free shipping No tax... freaking dealer wanted $269 for a dunlop E3 front tire. with out tax and without the install charge..
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-09-23 8:28 AM (#145821 - in reply to #144804)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
No tire is perfect. There are always trade offs. The Avons are stickier but because of that, don't generally last as long. The E3s last a bit longer but aren't as sticky. (The new MTs might be different.)
jimtom
Posted 2013-09-23 8:29 AM (#145822 - in reply to #145819)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2013-09-23 7:21 AM

im sick of dunlop E III's.... nothing great about them.. no exceptional anything. maybe the newer ones will be better. But as of yesterday i changed my own front tire in my garage and i used a Avon cobra AV71. And if the cobra comes out to be average then i will try something else. The dunlop E3 will be my last choice for another tire.. Ive had them on 3 different bikes now.. btw amazon.com is where i got my cobra tire for $160 free shipping No tax... freaking dealer wanted $269 for a dunlop E3 front tire. with out tax and without the install charge..

so you compared the dealer price to catalog/internet price of a different tire? Apples and Oranges. Wouldn't have anything but the Elite series. Longevity. You can find cheaper tires not made in America and buy 1.5 - 2 of them for every one Elite III so you will actually spend more .
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-23 8:34 AM (#145823 - in reply to #145822)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
jimtom - 2013-09-23 8:29 AM

so you compared the dealer price to catalog/internet price of a different tire? Apples and Oranges. Wouldn't have anything but the Elite series. Longevity. You can find cheaper tires not made in America and buy 1.5 - 2 of them for every one Elite III so you will actually spend more .

wait your under the assumption the price affect mileage?? why? who said that? my comparing the price was ONLY to give a heads up that if you do want other tires, you dont have to be raped by the Stealership$ !! im sorry if you thought there were different levels of the dunlop E3 based on what you pay for it.??? this is not true.... there is people who pay what the dealer wants, and then there are people who find Great deals. im guessing you are the first one? which btw you can ALSO get crappy dunlop E3 on amazon for about $80-$90 less than the Stealership as well.. if you need the (America only makes the very best of everything in the world) product..

Edited by Arkainzeye 2013-09-23 8:41 AM
Monkeyman
Posted 2013-09-23 8:52 AM (#145824 - in reply to #144804)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Technically, there ARE "different levels" of E3s. There are the old single compound tires and the new dual compound (MT) tires. Anyone who has the old ones still in stock is selling them for a little less than the new ones but the MSRP is about the same.
jimtom
Posted 2013-09-23 8:58 AM (#145826 - in reply to #145823)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2013-09-23 7:34 AM

wait your under the assumption the price affect mileage?? why? who said that? my comparing the price was ONLY to give a heads up that if you do want other tires, you dont have to be raped by the Stealership$ !! if sorry if you thought there were different levels of the dunlop E3 based on what you pay for it.??? this is not true.... there is people who pay what the dealer wants, and then there are people who find Great deals. im guessing you are the first one?

I'm under the assumption that you think you are getting off cheaper by buying a different brand tire at a cheaper price. That is misleading. #1You can get a dunlop cheaper online or catalog than you can at a dealer too. Having said that. My Victory dealer doesn't do my tire work. I have an independent shop do it. Front dunlop mounted $223.26. that's him buying the tire taking the old one off my bike and putting the new one on including the labor for 2 sets of brake pads. I bought the brake pads seperately from my dealer for $67.84 so $291.10 mounted including pads. Yeah, I like to support my local brick and morters when possible. #2 you will pay more even if you buy a cheaper tire because you will buy it with more frequency than with the Dunlop. Now if you don't care about longevity and your big thing is the stickiest tire, there are probably better options but speaking strictly on longevity and money, the Dunlop always wins. unless you want to run a car tire.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-23 10:47 AM (#145828 - in reply to #145826)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
jimtom - 2013-09-23 8:58 AM

wait your under the assumption the price affect mileage?? why? who said that? my comparing the price was ONLY to give a heads up that if you do want other tires, you dont have to be raped by the Stealership$ !! if sorry if you thought there were different levels of the dunlop E3 based on what you pay for it.??? this is not true.... there is people who pay what the dealer wants, and then there are people who find Great deals. im guessing you are the first one?

I'm under the assumption that you think you are getting off cheaper by buying a different brand tire at a cheaper price. That is misleading. #1You can get a dunlop cheaper online or catalog than you can at a dealer too. Having said that. My Victory dealer doesn't do my tire work. I have an independent shop do it. Front dunlop mounted $223.26. that's him buying the tire taking the old one off my bike and putting the new one on including the labor for 2 sets of brake pads. I bought the brake pads seperately from my dealer for $67.84 so $291.10 mounted including pads. Yeah, I like to support my local brick and morters when possible. #2 you will pay more even if you buy a cheaper tire because you will buy it with more frequency than with the Dunlop. Now if you don't care about longevity and your big thing is the stickiest tire, there are probably better options but speaking strictly on longevity and money, the Dunlop always wins. unless you want to run a car tire.

For me i do All my own work. tires, brakes, oil, brake fluid flush install of pipes, pcv etc etc.. my dealer is not there for simple things i can do on my own. so for me cheaper is... NOT paying someone to do what i can do myself.. On my 08 vision i got 3 sets of brake OEM pads for Less than the dealer wanted just for 2 and that was just pads.. not for them to install them.. i can only imagine their fee (labor rate) to install 3 sets (2 front 1 rear) . it was so easy i will never pay for that again.... anyways.. my tire installed by myself was $160 plus $10 for dyna beads and its the first tire on this list. http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/2012-touring-spor...

there is a reason why people question... "Is there another tire i can use?" if the Dunlop E3 was the be all end all of tires, they 1) wouldnt of improved it recently like someone posted... and 2) gold wingers and us alike are Always looking for better ! Dunlop E3 is No longer the only game in town... where as years ago if you wanted a long wearing tire you went with them.. now, Who doesnt make a longer wearing tire... like i said before i have had the Dunlop E3 on (3) different bikes... 2 of them were oem. the other one i installed. all 3 cupped early.. using the exact same air pressure procedure i use with other tires that do NOT give me this same grief..

jimtom
Posted 2013-09-23 11:01 AM (#145830 - in reply to #145828)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2013-09-23 9:47 AM

jimtom - 2013-09-23 8:58 AM

For me i do All my own work. tires, brakes, oil, brake fluid flush install of pipes, pcv etc etc.. my dealer is not there for simple things i can do on my own. so for me cheaper is... NOT paying someone to do what i can do myself.. On my 08 vision i got 3 sets of brake OEM pads for Less than the dealer wanted just for 2 and that was just pads.. not for them to install them.. i can only imagine their fee (labor rate) to install 3 sets (2 front 1 rear) . it was so easy i will never pay for that again.... anyways.. my tire installed by myself was $160 plus $10 for dyna beads and its the first tire on this list. http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/2012-touring-spor...

there is a reason why people question... "Is there another tire i can use?" if the Dunlop E3 was the be all end all of tires, they 1) wouldnt of improved it recently like someone posted... and 2) gold wingers and us alike are Always looking for better ! Dunlop E3 is No longer the only game in town... where as years ago if you wanted a long wearing tire you went with them.. now, Who doesnt make a longer wearing tire... like i said before i have had the Dunlop E3 on (3) different bikes... 2 of them were oem. the other one i installed. all 3 cupped early.. using the exact same air pressure procedure i use with other tires that do NOT give me this same grief..

I didn't say the E3 was an end all. I said it is the longest running tire making it cheaper by virtue of longevity only. All products undergo improvement,to stay competitve and address changing market demands. It was never the only game in town. Who said that? It is however , about the only american made game in town, that's important to me , that doesn't mean it has to be important to you. As i said earlier , there are tires that may stick better , be cheaper off the shelf, run more silent, etc. Having said that, I love the way mine ride and I don't mind the negligible noise it makes as it wears. Better is in the eyes of the beholder, can mean a lot of different things.. I agree, you save a lot of money doing your own work. I don't have the time or inclination. I work 65-70 hours a week. Some people want to change tires more for whatever reason , it cost more. So I stay with the E3 and change tires less and pay less than any other tire for the Vision.
bigfoot
Posted 2013-09-25 10:39 AM (#145885 - in reply to #144804)

Tourer

Akron Ohio area
Victory designed their suspension systems around the E3.

The E3 has the carry weight capacity that I want and need.

The E3 MT, which is what I have on the back of my Vision right now, doesn't howl anymore, and after 12,000 miles I can see that I will get another 4-5 miles out of it.

My dealer gives me 15% off parts.

When my dealer orders my tires I get "fresh from the factory" tires.
My last set had born on dates just one month previous.

After 60,000 miles riding on E3's, I just can't justify changing brands.
Rollin'
Posted 2013-09-25 11:00 AM (#145888 - in reply to #144804)

Iron Butt

, WI
I like the E3, as a front tire.

Last year I installed a new E3 on the front and did the trip to Key West, FL and Prudhoe Bay, AK and also did a 1000 mile trip around Lake Michigan and a trip to Spirit Lake plus the day rides. I replaced it early this year with another E3 before the trip the Death Valley.

That's a lot of challenging miles on one tire.

jimtom
Posted 2013-09-25 11:01 AM (#145889 - in reply to #145888)

Visionary

That's a lot of challenging miles on one tire.

Yes it is!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2013-09-25 12:27 PM (#145895 - in reply to #145885)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
[QU O T]bigfoot - 2013-09-25 10:39 AM

Victory designed their suspension systems around the E3.

The E3 has the carry weight capacity that I want and need.

The E3 MT, which is what I have on the back of my Vision right now, doesn't howl anymore, and after 12,000 miles I can see that I will get another 4-5 miles out of it.

My dealer gives me 15% off parts.

When my dealer orders my tires I get "fresh from the factory" tires.
My last set had born on dates just one month previous.

After 60,000 miles riding on E3's, I just can't justify changing brands.

your Aware that according to the service manual there's more than one suspension for this bike right? Different sizes.. not only that but with adjustable rear suspension how could that be fine tuned to a tire? if you go to Dunlops website you can see their technical specifications for their Tires and how there's absolutely nothing unique about their Load or speed ratings. I would like to know where You got this information that victory built motorcycle suspension around a particular model of tire?
varyder
Posted 2013-10-14 11:00 AM (#146648 - in reply to #144804)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

The ball went out of bounds and no one recovered to make the next volley.

I guess when we live off of perception, whatever we use is better than someone else. I've been more than pleased with the E3 and these discussions help serve to convince me that the E3s are the best tire for how I ride and want to ride. The new E3 MT are sweet and glad Dunlop decided to make this improved tire. The tire is absolutely quiet when compared to the howling the old tire used to make.

I can't say the tire is any harder, but it does grip very well. I've got about 2,000 miles on the tire and hope it will top well over 16,000, if it does, it's worth the money. By the way, if they did charge more for this tire, it was only by a few dollars. Now, get out there and enjoy riding before it gets nasty out.

Edited by varyder 2013-10-14 11:02 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™