You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Desert Riding
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Candyman
Posted 2010-06-07 3:15 PM (#61680 - in reply to #58061)
Subject: Re: Desert Riding

Cruiser

West Knoxville TN
Just be careful, have a great time, and keep us informed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
varyder
Posted 2010-06-11 8:03 AM (#61953 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I can't believe this is becoming a reality, I realized my first post was back in April, but I have been thinking about this for over a year.

I get to thinking about what other people say and ask "what am I doing?", and then realize they've never done it, so what do they know. I've got a couple of white shirts on order and will take the time to stop and keep myself soaked down, thanks for that tip Mike. I love the comfort of the Vision, but I would love to take the fairing off. If I can figure out how to carry my windshield it would the first to come off.

I asked about anyone who wanted to trade a stock for a blade as I need the wind in my face.

I need to get over to Victory-Riders and update my blog. After changing the oil and the rear tire and air filter, I'm at a lost as to what to do beside pack and pray.
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2010-06-11 11:51 AM (#61970 - in reply to #58061)
Subject: RE: Desert Riding

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
Something I carried over from dirt biking and mountain biking in the desert is wearing long sleeve vented motocross jerseys. They keep me from getting sun burnt, they are cool (like not wearing a shirt at all), and they do a great job of wicking persperation. You can get virtually any color, design, or logo and I think Walmart even has them in Starter brand.
VisionTex
Posted 2010-06-11 4:40 PM (#61983 - in reply to #61970)
Subject: RE: Desert Riding

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
The hot ride through the high plains and desert can be handled with some good gear and hydration. On the big rides across country, the storms are what I worry more about. I've been caught in some very heavy rain with poor visablity, it is just not fun. Be aware of those fronts moving across the US, normally there is at least one your going to go right through on your trip. There was rain in Arkansas last night that was absolutely terrible. I really like the idea of the new Garmin 665 I hear is shows doppler radar right on the bike. That gives you an idea of the rain fall amount, winds, etc...going to put one of those on my must have list. Enjoy your trip, and keep us posted as you cross the country.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-11 5:18 PM (#61984 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
my phone has internet capabilities so I can check at my stop the status of the storms in my path.

A year and a half ago I didn't have that luxury on the move. Rolling across 10 toward Houston I was determined to keep riding through the night when I encountered some heavy winds. I had been watching the lightening ahead and knew there were storms moving across Texas, but the last time checked they never seemed to be more than just heavy rain. The heavy winds made me a little concerned because they were pushing me from the south and it was making the bike very hard to handle. I stopped for gas just east of Houston and was comtemplating the heavy wind, rain and lightening just a few miles down the road I decided that was enough for the night.

Good thing, as when I got to my room I checked the weather and there was strong band of red on top of the route I was headed stretching from Houston south many miles. I also found out the next morning the highway had flooded and was still flooded into the wee hours of the morning. Everything had abated and where I had stopped didn't get anymore than some rain.
lennyb
Posted 2010-06-11 7:32 PM (#61987 - in reply to #58061)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Hope that the ride is everything you have been hopping for. At least if you run into any snow out in the desert you have the experience to know how to ride through it. Be safe.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-13 12:30 PM (#62102 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
If I run into snow in the desert, that would be a one of a kind ride.
bigwill5150
Posted 2010-06-13 1:54 PM (#62104 - in reply to #58086)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
Don't forget the sunscreen BEFORE you gear up. Keep the back of your neck and other areas you don't normally think about protected. Otherwise you'll end up a redneck like me. LOL
varyder
Posted 2010-06-13 2:32 PM (#62107 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'm a long gone redneck, and hopeless. My wife told me to where sunscreen also, and I told her, "I am, longsleeve and a bandana across the face."
varyder
Posted 2010-06-15 10:49 AM (#62269 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Argh. I'm flying to Dallas, and return Wed-Thu. I've got just one week after that before I roll to Cali. Getting a new rear tire on Monday, and changing my oil. Doing the Fork Oil this Saturday. Now I find out I've got a blown low-beam again, so I've got to change that, but I've got to pull the whole front off to fix the light housing, seems it is falling out...

I guess that'll be easier to do with the forks removed....
varyder
Posted 2010-06-22 4:28 PM (#62891 - in reply to #62269)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Of course Sunday will be in the mid-70's.... LOL

(barstow_eom_june.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments barstow_eom_june.JPG (60KB - 0 downloads)
donetracey
Posted 2010-06-22 5:27 PM (#62896 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Just ask for a new forecast in CELCIUS - you will feel MUCH cooler.......... all in the mind, you know! The numbers will all be in the 30's thus convincing you to dress warmly.
varyder
Posted 2010-06-22 9:55 PM (#62915 - in reply to #58061)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
good idea Don, I was in the Army for twenty years and that is what they always told me, it's all in the mind.

I might take the high road and meet up with the V2V in Castle Rock, CO on Friday evening, just a thought mind you. From there it would be through Wolf Creek Pass and down to Flagstaff. I'm just concerned being out there on a Saturday a million miles away from anything and no cell service.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™