You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

RF interference from Garmin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Octane
Posted 2011-09-19 10:23 AM (#97062)
Subject: RF interference from Garmin

Puddle Jumper

I am having a problem with what I think is RF interference with the audio system that seems to be coming from the console mounted Garmin Zumo 660. The sound is a rhythmic, throbbing buzzz,whine-click, buzzz,whine-click that I can hear from both the external speaks and through my J&M headset.

It has been to my dealer who are really outstanding guys who also requested support from Victory but have been unable to diagnose the cause. The bike is a 2011 Vision with dealer mounted Garmin, Vic CB, iPod, all wired with Vic wire harnesses. By process of elimination, I can hear the sound with the Garmin on and the CB/intercom off. The sound stops when the Garmin is off. When listening to the iPod or mp3s on the Garmin, the music prevents me from knowing if the RF sound is there.

I have been told to add a choke to the power line for the Garmin and re-position wiring. Before I start removing panels and staring cross eyed at the wiring harness, I am hoping to get some insight/advise/opinions from others who may have more knowledge about audio issues.

Thanks.

...Alan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SYNSTR
Posted 2011-09-19 10:34 AM (#97066 - in reply to #97062)
Subject: Re: RF interference from Garmin

Iron Butt

Mt. Vernon, WASH.
Something in your system is missing braided shielding and you are picking up stray AC signals, check every inch of the cables to look for breaks or voids in the shielding. (the woven metal wrap around cables and leads)
Octane
Posted 2011-09-20 10:11 AM (#97150 - in reply to #97066)

Puddle Jumper

SYNSTR - 2011-09-19 10:34 AM

Something in your system is missing braided shielding and you are picking up stray AC signals, check every inch of the cables to look for breaks or voids in the shielding. (the woven metal wrap around cables and leads)

Thanks for your suggestion. From what I can see, the wires are covered in insulation. If the shielding is broken or missing under it, how can that be detected?
SYNSTR
Posted 2011-09-20 1:05 PM (#97166 - in reply to #97062)

Iron Butt

Mt. Vernon, WASH.
You can find breaks in shielding by using what's called a 'phone ringer' it's a probe type implement that you run along the wires until it chirps or actually rings, the phone co. uses them as do audio visual dealers to find speaker wires that get 'built into' the walls during a remodel.
You can probably find one @ your nearest Radio Shack store. Aircraft electricians usually have one in their tool box to find broken wires in the bundles that power aircraft systems.
Octane
Posted 2011-09-20 1:35 PM (#97169 - in reply to #97166)

Puddle Jumper

Great! I'll borrow or buy one and give it a shot.

Thank you.

Alan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™