You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Fuel question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

slowryder
Posted 2009-10-12 4:05 PM (#45762)
Subject: Fuel question

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
How much fuel does the 106 use at idle? Is there a idle/consumption/time formula?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lotzafun
Posted 2009-10-12 4:46 PM (#45766 - in reply to #45762)
Subject: RE: Fuel question

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

Hmmm....gonna have to nominate this question for the "most unusual question of the year" award

Please don't take me wrong....I ain't picking on you or anything. You do have to admit that it is an somewhat unusual question.

Can I ask why you might be wondering this? Might help some of us answer the question better.

Bluegill
Posted 2009-10-13 3:26 AM (#45806 - in reply to #45762)
Subject: Re: Fuel question

Puddle Jumper

High Ridge, Mo.
I would guess real close to a gallon per hour. But to find out in a test, make sure you have a fan blowing.
slowryder
Posted 2009-10-14 10:47 AM (#45865 - in reply to #45762)

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
Here is my thinking, a typical run in the afternoon like yesterday I started my bike went into the house to finish closing up house grab a couple of last minute items. Around 13 minutes went by and bike oil temp was 150. went 1.1 miles shifted 51 times with 2 neutral stops at lights. When finished at store started bike for approx. 4 mins. while packing up stuff and putting on gear. Went 1.1 miles shifted 60 times 1 nuetral stop. Next store about same time, next to Doc office 52 shifts 2.5 miles no nuetral stops. Next stop is about same 50 shifts on the way home over 3.3 miles, with a stop for gas of 4.9 gallons for 120.1 miles. The bike tracks the time the key is turned on and I start my bike right after I turn the key on. Now factor in this over 4 days and when I see 3.56 hours and I know I've only driven part of that time. Now there is 25 minutes of idle, that afternoon. THE only factor I have not figured for has to be the idle consumption of fuel. The dealer said it's insignificate. But I disagree it adds up, I've thought that this was the worst mileage bike, but if there is a difined fuel consumption, then maybe the bike I thought was only getting 23 to 30 mpg is in reailty a little better. Just trying to settle this issue for myself.
iluvink
Posted 2009-10-14 12:45 PM (#45879 - in reply to #45762)

Tourer

Dallas, Texas
Well, let's see..naught times naught is naught...carry the four.....umm... I have no clue...I gas up about every 160mi...city or highway.
mkultra
Posted 2009-10-14 12:57 PM (#45882 - in reply to #45762)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
Wow...I cant imagine shifting 51 times in 1.1 miles....Lots of open space here in AZ. Heck I dont think I shift that many times in a weekend of riding. Had to read that post a couple of times, like a middle school math question....really never thought about it but now...danged I cant get it out of my head...reckon I will be counting shifts now......DRAT

mike
slowryder
Posted 2009-10-14 7:09 PM (#45913 - in reply to #45762)

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
I only count the shifts cause my bike doesn't tell me what gear I'm in anymore. I go from 1st to 4th some times 5th or 6th. And even when I park it will read 2nd or 3rd. if it wasn't for the neutral light I'd have to let off clutch slow to make sure bike's not in gear, so I count gears like the old days. Dealer thinking computer swap this winter if I ever stop riding long enough for him to do it.
Teach
Posted 2009-10-14 9:41 PM (#45930 - in reply to #45762)

Visionary

23 mpg? Holy crap!!!!! The lowest I've seen ever was 42 mpg. All I know is if I ride around rural stuff with a few stops for a light or sign I average 44 mpg. If I fire up the bike at the hotel and jump right on a road where I'm riding moderate speeds without stops my mpg is 48-51. So I'd suggest the fuel burned at idle is probably insignificant BUT the fuel burned to get the bike into motion after a stop is quit significant.
Long and short is I agree with your dealer, not much burned at idle. However with your fuel consumption you either need to change your ride habits or fix the leak as your mpg is really low.
Rebel
Posted 2009-10-15 5:02 AM (#45940 - in reply to #45930)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Teach - 2009-10-14 9:41 PM
So I'd suggest the fuel burned at idle is probably insignificant BUT the fuel burned to get the bike into motion after a stop is quit significant.

I think you just hit the nail on the head for this particular situation. But a lower avg MPG doesn't necessarily mean he has a fuel leak. You also have to figure in weight being carried, terrain, riding habits and even ambient air temperatures.

A guy who weighs 300 pounds and rides a Vision Tour in hilly country with lots of stop signs and gunning it from every stop is going to burn significantly more fuel than a guy who weighs 175 pounds and rides a Street on flat roads with no stops.

It may seem pretty obvious sitting here reading this, but a lot of people just look at that AVG number on their dash compared to someone else's and wonder why there's a 10 MPG difference without really thinking about all the variable involved.
WillieByte
Posted 2009-10-15 6:33 AM (#45943 - in reply to #45806)

Cruiser

Plainfield Illinois

Bluegill - 2009-10-13 2:26 AM I would guess real close to a gallon per hour. But to find out in a test, make sure you have a fan blowing.

Last winter I decided to start my bike every week or two during the winter and just sit on it and let it idle for 15 to 20 minutes to let it warm up and burn all the condensation out before I shut it off.  I decided to use this strategy instead of charging the battery with a tender and figured it would be best for my bike instead of letting it sit all winter.  Besides, it kept my riding fantasy going while the snow was blowing.  I did this eight times before the weather broke at which time I went for a ride and refilled the tank at the closest gas station.  The tank was full when I put the bike in the garage initially.  It took 2.5 gallons to fill the tank at that time; the gas station is 3 miles from my house.  This is a bit more than a gallon/hour but you are right.  Also to be figured is that it is cold in my garage in the winter and the bike runs at a higher idle for 3 or 4 minutes on first start.  This kept my bike running all winter so I felt like I never really "put it away for the winter".

varyder
Posted 2009-10-15 7:00 AM (#45947 - in reply to #45762)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Slowryder, yes, I understand your question, but would not have an answer 23mpg is great for LINY in my opinion. I think though your question is too difficult to define unless you were to actually measure it, and I would be interested to see those numbers. I wouldn't imagine Victory just publishing that information as who would want to know it except a rocket scientist, or someone who rides a Vision in NY.

Keep in mind the engine temp, high idle start, mid-range warm up, idle after loading, idle from a hot run, etc. a lot of varibles in my mind. Of course I'm no tech so I'm just making stuff up, but that seems to me what might affect the idle consumption.

Personally, I think you need to go blow that bike out in Western NY, you'll definetly put the Vision through the pace with city driving like that.
JustBob
Posted 2009-10-15 10:35 PM (#46009 - in reply to #45762)

Cruiser

Extreme Southern, AZ United States
I only know that towing a700 lb trailer into a stiff headwind will bring your gas milage down to about 18 mpg at 85 mph. Ask me how I know. :-)
RedRider
Posted 2009-10-16 4:56 AM (#46019 - in reply to #45762)

Visionary

"I start my bike right after I turn the key on" Try reading your owner's manual. Let the EFI system complete it start check BEFORE starting.
Tarpits99
Posted 2009-10-16 10:17 AM (#46033 - in reply to #45762)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
They have to be people better at math word problems than me but the parameters are there for the those inclined to figure it out.

14.7 - 1 air fuel mixture (assumed)
106 ci
4 stoke engine
900-1000 rpm at idle

1 gallon = 231 cubic inches

Show me your work!
Big Vic
Posted 2009-10-19 8:45 AM (#46201 - in reply to #45762)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
Does anyone besides me "shiver" when they hear people say they let their bike idle for 15-20 minutes? Many moons ago I learned a valuble lesson doing this which resulted in yellow pipes and my first exposure to Blue Job. 5 minutes max for me..........anything more and I add a fan.
Big Al
Posted 2009-10-19 1:46 PM (#46218 - in reply to #45762)

Cruiser

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
Hey Slow, sorry to distract you from your math test, but....my gear indicator was acting up, dealer replaced position switch on the shift drum, on the primary side, under warranty (then charged ME for the replacement oil). Indicator works fine now, they said they couldn't do anything about the bowling ball loose in a dumptruck sound when I have to jerk or stomp on the lever. Alan
slowryder
Posted 2009-10-20 12:21 PM (#46263 - in reply to #45762)

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
&*&^^&%&%$&*) that the second time I was typing out a response and lost two paragraphs. who put penezoil links into this. i'll ttry again later.
slowryder
Posted 2009-10-20 12:24 PM (#46264 - in reply to #45762)

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
Is there a way to save these prior to posting incase you that ten thumbs like I do, so you don;t lose your responses

Edited by slowryder 2009-10-20 12:24 PM
Teach
Posted 2009-10-20 7:09 PM (#46298 - in reply to #45762)

Visionary

Rebel, yep I know he doesn't have a fuel leak. It was a poor attempt at humor on my part, lol...
slowryder
Posted 2009-10-21 7:33 AM (#46310 - in reply to #45762)

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
Sorry guys I lost two replies into the computer never never land. In the 1st 8000 miles my ride had 4 sets of plugs 3 on the dealer 1 on me. They told me to warm the bike 150 deg oil temp prior to riding to eliminate fouling plugs. Okay purchased oil temp dipstick, cause I want to think with my dipstick. So I agree with Teach that ambient outside temp does affect mpg, along with fuel blend, (eg ethanol into gas tends to be higher in winter than summer) acceleration, wieght. A couple of days ago outside temps were around 40 it took my ride 10min 25 sec to get to 150 deg. at 13 min when I left the driveway it was between 160 and 170. Now this is what the dealer wants. When its warmer the bike only take 6 to mins to get to 150.
Now I've tried using the manual's shfting recommendation, babying the shifting with gradually accel., and being a little more higher on the rpm. I've tried different grades and brands of gas. That 23.8 mpg was on Hess when a Vic guy told me that Hess overblend ethanol in winter months so I switch to Sunoco and saw an immediate 29 to 30 mpg jump. But in the 20 degree weather my ride will not start without cracking the throttle open. Hench this whole deal with the 150 deg, the dealer said I wasn't allowing the bike to warm up to running temp, fouling out plugs, making it hard to start, low mpg. My bike spend 3 different trips and 3 different weeks for this solution between Jan to Mar this year. Now it can take as long as 18 minutes for this bike to reach 150 degrees when the outside temps are in low 20's to high teens. I believe the problem exist in the IAC valve, My bike idles up to 1800 rpm on its own while sitting at traffic lights, and the not starting in cold weather without cracking open the throttle, which I seems the dealer can't duplicate the cold condition, until winter.

Edited by slowryder 2009-10-21 8:01 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™