You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

victory platinum jacket
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Ploz58
Posted 2010-02-09 2:15 AM (#52954)
Subject: victory platinum jacket

Cruiser

Central Victoria, Australia
gday to the forum,
I would like to see if other members on the forum have had any experience with the platinum jackets waterproof abilities.

I did an ironbutt ride on the weekend in heavy tropic downpours and the platinum failed to keep me dry,
I had the outer shell on and an undershirt.

As the ride continued the jacket continued to get wet, it appeared to be all over, not a small leak at a zip etc.

In the past i have used BMW riding gear and never had a drama, but thought id do the patriotic thing and get the platinum.

id be interested in others experience

i did enjoy the ride, luckily it wasnt cold just very very wet and high humidity

my new joe rocket meteor boots did fine and stayed dry the whole trip

regards

Phil
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2010-02-19 7:02 PM (#53578 - in reply to #52954)
Subject: RE: victory platinum jacket

Fountain Inn, SC United States
In order to get replies to this thread, I've moved it out of the Review section into the General Victory Discussion group.

Opinions on this jacket anyone?
SongFan
Posted 2010-02-19 9:25 PM (#53587 - in reply to #52954)
Subject: RE: victory platinum jacket

Visionary

Memphis

Thanks Jeff,  I have the Platinum jacket but had no way to reply.  The longest I've ridden in solid rain is about two hours and that was with the liner in.  I was bone dry afterwards but if I remember right, the liner helped. 

My jacket before the Platinum was a Tour Master Cortech 3/4 and I would rate them about equal in quality.  They are nice, above average jackets but for the take-no-prisoners, this can't fail level, they both come up a little short.  I bought mine basically for the same reason as Ploz, to support my dealer and throw my support behind Victory.  Plus, I like the looks of it.

I can ride in 100 degrees with all the vents open and the liner out and be totally comfortable as long as I stay hydrated.  My helmet causes much more heat discomfort than the jacket.  In the winter time, the mid 20's is totally comfortable with the lined Platinum.  If you have always bought the cheapest gear available and then buy a Platinum, it will really amaze you how nice and versatile it is.  On the other hand, if you have ever bought top of the line, no expense paid for really world class gear, the Platinum is the next level down.  Riding all day and night in the rain is asking the ultimate from your gear.  My riding limits don't justify the top of the line stuff so the Platinum is a perfect balance for me.

IronButt in solid rain.  Wow, good on ya Ploz58.  Wish you'd have stayed dry.

Ploz58
Posted 2010-02-20 2:26 AM (#53594 - in reply to #52954)
Subject: Re: victory platinum jacket

Cruiser

Thanks jeff,
my mistake there!!
songfans experience is interesting, the versatility of the jacket was a selling point for me as well.

ill have to see how the jacket goes , i doubt if i can replicate the conditions we rode in, a quarter of the starters didnt complete the ride due to the weather.

The consultation was the weather wasnt cold.

thanks for the wisdom in the forum
RedRider
Posted 2010-02-20 3:46 AM (#53596 - in reply to #52954)

Visionary

I don't have that jacket but have rode in some really heavy rains, once it was a hurricane, and nothing seems to stay dry in storms like that. Perhaps wearing your BMW suit in the really bad storms wouldn't be a bad idea? I have had my boots stay dry until my pants soaked through and the rain ran down my legs and into my boots. )
I spray my jackets and pants with water repellent each spring and after each ride ina rainstorm and it helps a lot.
Hope this helps.
Ploz58
Posted 2010-02-20 4:33 AM (#53598 - in reply to #52954)

Cruiser

Hey red,
when i saw the weather radar and forecast, i reached for the old jacket and thought nah, i should ride in victory gear!!

any other time i may of said, ill wait till it passes and find somewhere nice to sit it out,

To make things worse i had to lower the screen to see over it and ride with the visor up!!
all a recipe for getting wet

we have years of drought in Southern Australia, so it was nice to see the rain!!

candubrain
Posted 2010-02-20 5:51 AM (#53600 - in reply to #52954)

Cruiser

Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
I had ordered a Platinum Jacket last year, when I tried it on I found it too restrictive in the shoulder/arm movement when all the liners where in place. This was a XL jacket, it was at least 1.5 times larger around my waste than needed, but too tight at the top.
I can't comment on performance since I did not buy it.
My old Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 is the exact opposite, the freedom of movement with the full sleaved insulated liner and a sweater is very good to excellent, I've never had any binding while wearing it. But it's no good in a downpour, it is only listed as water resistant, not waterproof, but at least you know that up front before you buy. My understanding that the new Ballistic 8.0 is waterproof.
One other thing the Joe Rocket arm length is the best of any jacket I've tried on, they didn't scrimp on material
Big Vic
Posted 2010-02-20 7:23 AM (#53602 - in reply to #52954)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
All my warm jackets come from dead cows. For me it's tough to beat the comfort and protection that is provided by leather. I know a lot of riding jackets have body armor for protection, I have a light weight jacket that came with it. The first thing I did was take that bulky shit out and through it away. I can't stand having chunks of foam all over my joints and running down my spine. If it rains the dead cow gets covered up by a really nice rain suit that I bought from Cabela's.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™