You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

LEAKY GAS CAP FIX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

tom
Posted 2008-10-27 8:23 PM (#21781)
Subject: LEAKY GAS CAP FIX

Cruiser

i always smell gas until 1/2 tank. i took the gas cap off and removed the rubber O ring with a flat screw driver. the O ring gets smashed too flush and wont retain a good enough seal, i put a bead of silicone in the groove let it dry then replaced the O ring it allowed the O ring to fur out alittle for a better seal, and no more gas smell... tom w arroyo grande,ca.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-10-28 8:55 AM (#21842 - in reply to #21781)
Subject: Re: LEAKY GAS CAP FIX

Iron Butt

, FL United States
thanks.
savage
Posted 2008-10-29 4:58 PM (#21965 - in reply to #21781)
Subject: RE: LEAKY GAS CAP FIX

Cruiser

tom - 2008-10-27 7:23 PM

i always smell gas until 1/2 tank. i took the gas cap off and removed the rubber O ring with a flat screw driver. the O ring gets smashed too flush and wont retain a good enough seal, i put a bead of silicone in the groove let it dry then replaced the O ring it allowed the O ring to fur out alittle for a better seal, and no more gas smell... tom w arroyo grande,ca.

Don't want to seem like a know-it-all but.....you might want to rethink this one. Gasoline will attack and degrade the very best silicone sealer available. It will get soft and start to peel off and will end up in your fuel tank, fuel pump and injectors, which will be very bad! Just an FYI
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2008-10-30 9:18 AM (#22013 - in reply to #21781)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
Good point! Thanks for the heads up.
racershawn
Posted 2008-10-30 10:18 AM (#22015 - in reply to #21781)

Cruiser

Hampton Va
i had the same issue...after not finding a problem i noticed that the neck was bent a bit. I guess i had set the nosle down it the filler neck and bent it up just a bit on one side and down on the other . so i worked on it and i have no more isues
tom
Posted 2008-11-01 11:05 AM (#22223 - in reply to #21781)

Cruiser

i used a thin bead of permatex gasket silicon it says gas wont effect it, but it is not in contact with the gas it is only a thin bead to hold the thick rubber O ring in place slightly furred out. works great i will watch the possible gas effect on the point you made. tnx, tom
rbarrera1
Posted 2008-11-09 11:55 AM (#22910 - in reply to #22223)

Puddle Jumper

I had bad smell of gas on my bike and noticed the same dent in the opening. I took it in to the dealer, and Victory replaced the tank. No more gas smell.
Rebel
Posted 2008-11-09 4:48 PM (#22921 - in reply to #22223)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
tom - 2008-11-01 11:05 AM

i used a thin bead of permatex gasket silicon it says gas wont effect it, but it is not in contact with the gas it is only a thin bead to hold the thick rubber O ring in place slightly furred out. works great i will watch the possible gas effect on the point you made. tnx, tom

The gas fumes in the tank will do the same thing. But if the sealant you used specifies that it's ok to use with gas, then you should be ok.
HONDAFIXER
Posted 2008-11-09 5:57 PM (#22926 - in reply to #22910)

Cruiser

LONDONDERRY NH
rbarrera1 - 2008-11-09 11:55 AM

I had bad smell of gas on my bike and noticed the same dent in the opening. I took it in to the dealer, and Victory replaced the tank. No more gas smell.

Same here-just replace the tank
raynman
Posted 2008-11-10 9:51 AM (#22977 - in reply to #21781)

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
Same here. My dealer turned just got approval from Polaris to replace the tank.
wingit3611
Posted 2012-07-27 1:05 PM (#120316 - in reply to #21965)

Cruiser

09 Vision Street w/trunk Ca. compilent. 1June12

The gas tank filler neck is soft, doesn't always seal tight & can be bent out of round. My bike had to be put on a flat bed tow, In the process of tilting it, gas started running out of my tank like mad. Could have been a fire hazard but the bike sat for a 1 1/2 hr. waiting for the truck, so the engine wasn't hot, gas was running on it & the exhaust pipes. I know about the new Gas Cap but have also heard some of those new models with this new cap have a gas odor leak, if kept in a garage. The wives seem to be the first ones to notice. I wanted something sturdy that would keep the filler neck from getting out of round and a good smooth edge for the cap to seal on. I found what I wanted at the Home Depot. A 2" PVC female adaptor that went from threaded connection to slip on PVC seal. Part #012871 55897 2. I cut it in half just at the end of the threaded part where they stopped. With my dreamel tool I sanded the threads down lightly, because it was about 1/16 to 1/8 " too tight. Now leave it fit very snuggly over the filler neck so that when I put the gas cap on it fit firmly against the the smooth edge of the PVC using my (old style) gas cap. Being very close to the top of the neck is best for supporting the tank when filling. The new style gas cap can be used also just by pushing the ring down further and the new cap will seal against the smooth edge of the PVC & the outer edge of the tank neck. I wanted to support the top of my filler neck (keep it round) so I used the original cap.

P.S. Always smelled gas fumes, now I don't !
This fix supports filler neck to keep it round! Pictures are in the Gallery under "wingit3611"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™