You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Shifting the transmission.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Dan H.
Posted 2011-05-29 9:58 AM (#87397)
Subject: Shifting the transmission.

New user

I recently purchased a 2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium with 2400 miles on it and absolutely love the bike. It's super comfortable for my wife to NOW go motorcycle riding with me unlike the old bike.

I have notice that the transmission does not shift smooth. Sometimes there is a clatter or grinding when shifting from 1st to 2nd either (up or down). I have even noticed when I come up to a stop sometimes and down shift into 1st the bike will tend to stall like the clutch is not fully engaged.

I have heard that Victory made some improvements in the transmission in the 2011. (Not sure if thats a true statement or not.)

Anyway has anyone had any problems like the described above?

Other than this issue the bike is terrific and I do not have any regrets purchasing it instead of a Harley or Gold wing.

I would appreciate any comments.

Dan H.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sfalexi
Posted 2011-05-29 10:18 AM (#87398 - in reply to #87397)
Subject: Re: Shifting the transmission.

Tourer

Columbia, SC
I have an 09 and I have NOT experienced these problems. Got about 4000 miles on mine, but even from the get go, while the transmission shift was a little "clunky" and not nearly as smooth as my old honda 919 (something about honda transmissions I guess), it never made a grinding noise or felt like stalling.

One issue I HAVE had (VERY sparingly) is it not wanting to shift down to first and every now and then (maybe three times total) I've had to slowly let the clutch out while pressing down on the shifter till it clicks in. But that's VERY few and far between.

Alexi
johnnyvision
Posted 2011-05-29 10:27 AM (#87399 - in reply to #87397)

Visionary

Do you have a cable clutch that might be adjustment?
Tarpits99
Posted 2011-05-29 12:19 PM (#87407 - in reply to #87397)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
Unless the clutch has been abused there really shouldnt be an issue with it with this low milage.

With 2400 miles on the clock you are probably ready for an oil change.

Many owners find that the transmission becomes "notchy" and clunky as the oil change interval approaches especially during the break in period. Extending the oil change interval to 5000 was apparently a major motivation for the transmission design change.

Also since the bike is a 09 your hydraulic fluid in both the brake and clutch needs to be replaced. Trust me on this, the bike may not have many miles on it, but the stuff is bad. There are a couple of threads on the board that cover this. Particularly as it relates to brakes.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then you need better advice than mine (like a qualified mechanic maybe?).

glighto11
Posted 2011-05-29 12:43 PM (#87408 - in reply to #87397)
Subject: RE: Shifting the transmission.

Iron Butt

Central New York

Do change the clutch and brake fluid as suggest above. Then drive it. 2,400 mi is like a new machine. These transmissions seem to be like a fine wine, they tend to get smoother with age. As far as the stalling when dropping to first, haven't heard that before. It is possible it could be a little slow on the idle. Give it some time to see the the computer "learns" better behavior. If it doesn't get better in a little time I would have it checked by a dealer.

Ride and enjoy!

wseemann
Posted 2011-05-29 1:45 PM (#87413 - in reply to #87397)

Cruiser

Boydsville, AR United States
You should be in first gear when you stop. Shift before stoping. I sometimes have trouble getting in to first when stoped. Giving the throttle a burb with the clutch in just before shifting helps. Then if someone comes up behind you too fast, you will be ready to go in an escape path.
Ride safe, Ride far, and Ride often!
marcparnes
Posted 2011-05-29 5:02 PM (#87429 - in reply to #87397)

Iron Butt

I would certainly change the engine oil as previously noted. The trans on the pre-2011 does get notchy the older the oil gets. There are better oils to use than the Vic stuff. Do a search and you'll find lots of conversation about it. If after changing the oil you still have trouble shifting you will need to get it checked. Your Vision has a hydraulic clutch that is self-adjusting. If you're hearing a clunk when you shift from neutral to first or first to second then that is perfectly normal. But if you're having trouble getting it into neutral from first at a stop or you're getting a grinding when shifting from neutral to first or first to second or particularly from second to first then your clutch is not fully releasing for some reason. If you shift from neutral to first and the engine idle drops or stalls then you for sure have a clutch that is dragging and needs to be looked into. If the clutch is dragging and you continue to ride it like that you'll be putting undo strain on the shift mechanism and shift dogs so don't put it off.

Marc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™