You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

buying new - any ideas
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

taz456
Posted 2010-08-28 9:09 AM (#68110)
Subject: buying new - any ideas

Cruiser

Pittsburgh, PA
I started to do some research for a new purchase in March or April of next year. Well, I found a new 2009 premium left over that is reduced through the red tag sale. It only has 100 miles on it. It is black and the dealer dressed it up by replacing most of the grey composite pieces with chrome. I know that it has the inner fairings, grill cover, side covers, lower windshield and the passenger arm rests. I can save nearly $5000 over the sticker plus the chrome is priced at dealer cost as opposed to retail. While I'm not really in the market yet due to other money issues, I can not see putting off this bike only to pay more in another six months. The other issue I have is that I recently tore my bicep and I will not be able to ride for another 6 - 8 weeks.
This purchase is being considered as i love the Vision looks and my wife doesn't like longer rides on my 2002 Victory V92c. How much more comfortable will she be on a touring bike? We have been told there is a huge difference. We have never done any touring or rides over 2.5 hours but want to.
My question for the more experienced riders is what other items besides the air deflectors should i be looking for? I'm not looking for performance inhancements but comfort and usage improvements.
I'm 99% sure that i will sign the papers soon but any comments would be welcome. I'm glad i found this forum.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Boots
Posted 2010-08-28 12:28 PM (#68127 - in reply to #68110)
Subject: Re: buying new - any ideas

Tourer

New Mexico
Almost exactly the same story for me 4 months ago sans the injury. I bought a 2009 Tour Premium w/lots of chrome. Have just under 7000 miles on him (yes, his name is Earl). Just for background, my wife and I are about 50 years old, and I have been riding over 30 years. Was finally ready for some real comfort, and I'm VERY happy with my purchase. Honestly, it comes well equipped for long distance comfort. Heated grips & seat, electric windshield, floorboards, comfortable seat, radio w/weather band, cruise control.

Yes, get the lowers.
I have the saddlebag inserts. Can pack the bags in the house them cram them into the bike. Probably adds 20% storage capacity due to the design of the saddlebag doors.
Depending on your wife's size, you may want the floorboard risers so her feet fit comfortably.
VaRyder has a very nice custom storage pouch that mounts to his dash I would Love to have.
I bought the trunk removal stuff and a passenger backrest, but now don't know that I will ever use them. Trunk is so handy!

Even though beyond the scope of your question, I have to add I have the S2L2 pipes w/baffles removed for a nice throaty, deep sound. Bought them in purchase negotiations, so at dealer cost.
rdbudd
Posted 2010-08-28 6:47 PM (#68149 - in reply to #68110)
Subject: RE: buying new - any ideas

Visionary

Jasper, MO
A purpose designed touring bike like a Goldwing or a Vision will be infinitely more comfortable for longer rides than your 2002 V92C. 600 mile days are a piece of cake, and you won't even be tired after that distance on a Vision. Get the lower wind deflectors. They work both to keep the heat off you when turned in, and keep the cold and/or rain off you when turned out. Pricey, but worth it. The stereo sounds MUCH better when heard through both the external speakers and helmet headsets simultaneously. Don't bother with the Victory branded headsets. Save yourself time and aggravation and get some J & M headsets. To accomplish this, you need the CB/Intercom unit and wiring harness. The intercom is very nice to have, and we use the CB a lot when traveling with other bikes which are also CB equipped. Very useful. The Vision will extend your riding season a great deal. Heated riding gear comes in very handy. On the 3600 mile trip that we just got back from, we experienced temperatures ranging from 102 crossing Kansas to 42 and rain/sleet going over Beartooth Pass. Much of the time in the higher elevations we were in the 50's. We had our heated jacket liners on up there, and were grateful for them. I have two controllers mounted in the console for my use, and another two mounted below the right speaker for my wifes use. The Vision's charging system can handle two full sets of heated gear with no problem. Firstgear brand (made by Warm-N-Safe), or Warm-N-Safe brand, or Gerbings brand gear is all good stuff that I have personal experience with. My personal preference is the Warm-N-Safe stuff. It has expandable stretch panels built into the liners and is more comfortable to wear and move in than the Gerbings. Both are very good products and work well. Like a power windshield, heated riding gear is one of those things you never knew you needed until you've once had it.

Good luck with your decision. We aren't getting any younger by waiting to purchase a new bike. Prior to buying our Vision a couple of years ago, I thought I was going to have to give up heavy touring bikes, or get a trike, due to my age and physical ailments. The Vision changed all that. I'll be on two wheels for awhile yet, and it'll be a Vision, or my trusty old 2000 V92SC that went on this trip with us with our son riding it. No more Goldwings for us. We've become spoiled by the Vision.

Ronnie
taz456
Posted 2010-08-29 7:33 AM (#68182 - in reply to #68110)
Subject: RE: buying new - any ideas

Cruiser

Pittsburgh, PA
We went to look at the bike again Saturday and ended up signing the paperwork. So I'm now a proud new member of the Vision owners. Still can't ride it but I'm looking forward to it very soon.
Man314
Posted 2010-08-29 7:40 AM (#68183 - in reply to #68110)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
Congrats taz456!
glighto11
Posted 2010-08-29 8:22 AM (#68187 - in reply to #68110)

Iron Butt

Central New York
Welcome, you won't regret your decision. You will, I'm sure, have many questions over the coming weeks. Never be shy about asking as there is always someone here with answers. I would, however, recommend putting a key word in the 'search' block. You will most likely find more answers than you need.
Again, good luck and safe riding.
adirondacks
Posted 2010-08-29 9:36 AM (#68192 - in reply to #68187)

Tourer

Troy, NY
For longer touring - week long getaways you will want the luggage rack. With the luggage rack my wife and I can pack for a week long trip. We pack for 4 days of close and hit a laundry matt. The lowers are great too. Keep th heat off in the summer and the heat in for the chillier weather. You may need to upgrade the speakers too. The stock speakers were useless above 50mpg. I put in the J&M replacements and they work perfect at highway speeds.

Sounds like you are getting a great deal!!
Boots
Posted 2010-08-29 7:54 PM (#68229 - in reply to #68187)

Tourer

New Mexico
glighto11 - 2010-08-29 7:22 AM

I would, however, recommend putting a key word in the 'search' block. You will most likely find more answers than you need.

Very very true. A wealth of knowledge.
VaParadox
Posted 2010-08-30 8:22 PM (#68312 - in reply to #68110)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Dude your wife will hate you. She will find you doing less around the house, spending more time in the garage "alone", taking longer reads in the bathroom at all the new Victory reading material you will get. Polishing shine to make shine even shine-er. She will accuse you of having an affair. THEN when all the cussing whining and moping stops, and you get her on the back of the bike, she will finally agree to that threesome you have always wanted to have.................. CONGRATS. You BOTH will never regret your decision.
You own the best ! Get used to being treated like a celebrity everywhere you go with the bike...
johnnyvision
Posted 2010-08-30 9:51 PM (#68321 - in reply to #68110)

Visionary

I sold my 09 harley street glide last friday and have a little over a thousand miles on my vision. I am 64 and it will be the last bike I ever ride.
You can tell its me coming down the road the gray hair is flying and the teeth are like head lights from my big smile.
Have a great Ride
donetracey
Posted 2010-08-31 12:54 AM (#68330 - in reply to #68187)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

glighto11 - 2010-08-29 6:22 AM Welcome, you won't regret your decision. You will, I'm sure, have many questions over the coming weeks. Never be shy about asking as there is always someone here with answers. I would, however, recommend putting a key word in the 'search' block. You will most likely find more answers than you need. Again, good luck and safe riding.

ESPECIALLY 'OIL' - PLEEEZZZZEEE don't ask any OIL questions - just search, and be prepared to spend the next 20 years reading about it....

Roadrocket
Posted 2010-08-31 7:36 AM (#68335 - in reply to #68330)

Cruiser

B'ham, Al.

Man, I bet you're gonna lose a lot of sleep between now & that 1st ride ! But it'll be worth it.

Congrats - RR

Boots
Posted 2010-08-31 10:36 AM (#68347 - in reply to #68321)

Tourer

New Mexico
john frey - 2010-08-30 8:51 PM

I sold my 09 harley street glide last friday and have a little over a thousand miles on my vision. I am 64 and it will be the last bike I ever ride.
You can tell its me coming down the road the gray hair is flying and the teeth are like head lights from my big smile.
Have a great Ride

I was almost thinking the same thing when I bought mine - And I'm 48. Luckily, though, there was a guy in the shop while I was signing the purchase papers, still riding at 83!! Some quick math told me, after 32 years of riding, I'm not even half way done - YaHoooooo!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™