You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Winter riding
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

DannyB
Posted 2011-01-28 8:12 AM (#78291)
Subject: Winter riding

Tourer

2 mi from Jim Beam n KY

Do  you ride on roads that are dusty with salt?

Roads are dry around here but you can see small clouds of salt dust kicked up by car tires.

I would think that salt dust is pretty hard on all that aluminum. What say you?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-01-28 8:22 AM (#78292 - in reply to #78291)
Subject: Re: Winter riding

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
Yes, yes, yes. A good wash down is needed to keep the corrosion down. I don't feel it to be too much of a problem, and the aluminum parts is the frame where it has gotten up on from spray. So when I pull my seat I see a fuzz on the casting. The other parts, I have not noticed any issue and will using a good dousing spray in the areas that would get the spray. The rest is just washed and clean as normal, when I do it.

I'm on my fourth winter and everything is still going strong, but I hope to pull the bike apart to do a thorough inspection in the spring. At 86,000 miles I find this was a great purchase and I've gotten more than my money's worth.

I got mine out of the way, you are bound to hear more to contrary, but I say, ride the bloomin' thing and enjoy it while you can.
Teach
Posted 2011-01-29 8:30 AM (#78343 - in reply to #78291)

Visionary

I agree with the previous response. There is an old dirt bike trick that you can also apply if you are one that likes to get the bike out in winter. Spray every metal part you can see with W40, including the rims and let that dry as much as WD dries (always has a sticky feel). The WD acts as a barrier to anything that would get into the metal. It also allows you to simply spray the bike to get it clean without a bunch of additional cleaning effort. You can spray the plastic as well if you are so inclined and it won't hurt a thing.
The ONLY additional suggestion I'd make is get in the habit of sitting a little more upright so you are forced to raise your elbows some (again dirt bike trick). This will give you better control if you happen to come across a slick patch on the roadway.
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-01-29 11:12 AM (#78352 - in reply to #78291)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
brilliant idea, I'm on my way out now to douse my bike in WD40...
lennyb
Posted 2011-01-29 6:16 PM (#78373 - in reply to #78291)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Keep in mind that too much salt on a dry road can be like running through loose gravel, and I was surprised recently to find how slick it can be when the road gets damp.
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-01-30 3:50 PM (#78415 - in reply to #78373)

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
lennyb - 2011-01-29 6:16 PM

Keep in mind that too much salt on a dry road can be like running through loose gravel, and I was surprised recently to find how slick it can be when the road gets damp.

...keep those elbows up and sit up straight and you'll do just fine...
lennyb
Posted 2011-01-30 4:12 PM (#78419 - in reply to #78415)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
Cap'n Nemo - 2011-01-30 4:50 PM

lennyb - 2011-01-29 6:16 PM

...keep those elbows up and sit up straight and you'll do just fine...

Will do, and it has worked to date, but darn I hate cleaning the stain off of the seat (found that it works best to get it before it dries).
ScoreBo
Posted 2011-01-30 8:21 PM (#78428 - in reply to #78291)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Don't do it. I did just this 2 years ago and my heads are oxidized now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™