You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Satellite Radio questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

BlueByu
Posted 2012-02-10 10:25 AM (#107378)
Subject: Satellite Radio questions

Cruiser

Houston, Tx

Hey all, hoping you can help me out.  Done some searching, but cant find anything on this.   I have Sirius radio in my truck and really enjoy the channel selections.  That said, I'd like to have similar on the bike.  Vic only sells XM which has different channels and is rather costly. I've confirmed the channel differences since the wife as XM in her new car.  I've found out to get similar, then these are subscription add-ons to match Sirius - this I think is STUPID since they've merged - okay short rant is over.

Has anyone found a way to use a Sirius radio and tap into the Vision harness?   To note, I'm also currently using the Vic audio cable with extension to run my Ipod Touch (located in trunk) and also have the Vision CB which appears to have the connector for the Vic XM radio when installed in right saddlebag.  I do not want to remove the Ipod as I enjoy my personal fav's but also want the flexibility to listen to wider variety of channels be it sports, weather, or just a specific genre of random artists. 

Now back to the question, has anyone found a way to use the audio harness that comes with the CB cable and plug into it for aftermarket Sat radio?  This in theory, should allow full use of Vision controls, IMO.  If not, then is there any way I can still use aftermarket Sat radio WITHOUT losing my Ipod.  I understand I may not have Vision channel control and that's acceptable, but want it pumped through the speakers.  I figure, with the Vision being out so many years, someone has figured out how to have both options while using non-vic components.  Oh, I've read where one could use something like an FM modulator and the signal be played over FM channels...but also read that the sound quality is horrid.  Maybe this is just older units... dunno?!?  Am I just SOL and locked into spending big bucks for the Vic unit?!?

THANKS for any guidance!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
nailer
Posted 2012-02-10 10:48 AM (#107380 - in reply to #107378)
Subject: RE: Satellite Radio questions

Tourer

Albuquerque, NM
The easiest solution is an audio switch. Use either your mp3 player or the satellite radio. Put the switch in the glove box or the trunk.

http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html
BlueByu
Posted 2012-02-10 11:14 AM (#107386 - in reply to #107378)
Subject: Re: Satellite Radio questions

Cruiser

Houston, Tx
Great in theory, but putting it in the trunk will not allow changing systems on the "fly". Minor inconvenience I suppose.

Since getting the Vision, I never used the jack. Bough Ipod, audio cable then added the extension to move everything to the trunk so I could use the glovebox for small items (cigs,sunglasses, etc). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when using the 3.5mm jack you lose all the functionality similar to the cable such as song/artist/playlist selection and charging...right?? If so, then not for me as my Ipod is in the trunk (cant reach it) and seldom comes inside for charging. That's part of my dilemna, I dont want to lose the convenience of what I currently have - just want to add another option.
pfhague
Posted 2012-02-10 3:23 PM (#107402 - in reply to #107378)

Cruiser

I have mounted my Sirius Streamer GT on the right side brake fluid reservoir with a bracket I purchased thru Cycle gadgets, which is now out of business. I mounted the antennae on the dash. The Streamer will transmit the signal to the Visions radio using an unused fm freq. Volume controls are are used with the Vision radio. I have used this set up since I bought the bike in 08. The only place to get a Streamer now is on ebay
Nozzledog
Posted 2012-02-10 3:50 PM (#107404 - in reply to #107378)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Keep the iPod cable setup, just tap into the power and L/R speakers (add a switch too) from that cable to run a portable Sirius player wich you can mount on your handlebars.

Blue -Left speaker
Orange - Right Speaker
Green - speaker ground
Red - 12v power
Black 12v ground
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-02-10 4:48 PM (#107407 - in reply to #107378)

Visionary

look on Sirius web site I believe they have adapter to hook your Sirius where the XM goes. I'll have to look but I believe I have a Sirius box in the garage that I don't use.
mleiten
Posted 2012-02-10 5:27 PM (#107409 - in reply to #107378)

Cruiser

St. Louis, MO United States
I use my iPod with the victory iPod cable and I also tapped into the wiring harness to allow a 3.5mm mini connection to my phone. I have the Siruis app on my phone and just select a station and place the phone in the "glovebox" . I can also charge the phone while it is playing. I do not have control while riding but works for me.
Adding the Internet listening to my Siruis package was only an additional $3 as opposed to another radio for $5 on month.
For what it's worth... Hope this is of use
savage
Posted 2012-02-11 8:27 AM (#107457 - in reply to #107378)

Cruiser

I use a Sirius Starmate 5 ($99 at Best Buy) mounted on center console, plugged in to Ipod connection. This radio supports 'ala carte' programming ($7/month, 50 channels). Been on my '08 for three years, in the rain and sun, still works like a new one.
BlueByu
Posted 2012-02-11 8:47 AM (#107459 - in reply to #107404)

Cruiser

Houston, Tx

Nozzledog - 2012-02-10 3:50 PM Keep the iPod cable setup, just tap into the power and L/R speakers (add a switch too) from that cable to run a portable Sirius player wich you can mount on your handlebars. Blue -Left speaker Orange - Right Speaker Green - speaker ground Red - 12v power Black 12v ground

Nozzledog - sorry, I'm not versed in wiring but am willing to try anything.  Where exactly would one splice into;  the Ipod cable or into radio harness?  Also, can you be more specific on what the switch would be for?  Suspect that I'd have to cut the Sirius wiring right?   If at all possible, what I'd LOVE to do is keep this unit as complete as possible, then I could take the unit between bike & truck and still only have 1 subscription with them.  Would love more details if you can elaborate!!!

BlueByu
Posted 2012-02-11 8:49 AM (#107460 - in reply to #107407)

Cruiser

Houston, Tx

john frey - 2012-02-10 4:48 PM look on Sirius web site I believe they have adapter to hook your Sirius where the XM goes. I'll have to look but I believe I have a Sirius box in the garage that I don't use.

Are you saying that Sirius would plug directly into the Vic harness that is used for their XM unit?  That would be PERFECT if it exists!!!  Everything would (in theory) go through the bike without splicing wires.  Seems to easy for Ma' Vic to allow this, LOL.

ekirby
Posted 2012-02-11 11:06 AM (#107471 - in reply to #107378)

Puddle Jumper

Hillsboro, Alabama
no need for satilite, i just carry my cell phone and stream pandora radio,ALSO GOOGLE NAVIGATION. works great, just plug into the audio cable.
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-02-11 12:37 PM (#107479 - in reply to #107378)

Visionary

Did you go look ay Sirius web page
BlueByu
Posted 2012-02-12 8:08 AM (#107538 - in reply to #107479)

Cruiser

Houston, Tx

john frey - 2012-02-11 12:37 PM Did you go look ay Sirius web page

Yeah, not sure what you were using.  Found this, FM Direct Adapter , but not sure how I'd use it or tap into the radio with it.  Is this what you were talking about?

cchristo
Posted 2012-02-12 10:46 AM (#107557 - in reply to #107378)

Tourer

san antonio, tx
Your post got me thinking, and I did a little research.

I would like to have XM (or Sirius) but I'm a cheap SOB and there is no way it's worth me spending $800 - $1000 on the factory XM setup.

So, in much the same vein as my bluetooth dongle, I'm going to try cracking this nut.

Here's a possible solution, but I have not tried it. It might work, it might not.

It's a $70.00 gamble (plus a subscription fee)

Get the Sirius/XM universal tuner, model #SC-C1.

Cut one end off the supplied interface cable and wire it like this:

SC-C1 Pin 1 goes to pin 14 of the 26 pin connector (+12VDC)
SC-C1 Pin 2 goes to pin 20 of the 26 pin connector (+12VDC)
SC-C1 Pin 3 goes to pin 15 of the 26 pin connector (Data)
SC-C1 Pin 4 goes to pin 16 of the 26 pin connector (Ground) (-12VDC
SC-C1 Pin 5 goes to pin 24 of the 26 pin connector (R +Audio)
SC-C1 Pin 6 goes to pin 21 of the 26 pin connector (Data)
SC-C1 Pin 7 goes to pin 17 of the 26 pin connector (-Audio)
SC-C1 Pin 8 goes to pin 23 of the 26 pin connector (L +Audio)

Here are my unknowns for this experiment.
+ The naming conventions for the Data transmission are different between the Vic and the SiriusXM. As a result, pins 3 and 6 may need to be reversed. I think this is correct, but again, i've not tried it.
+ Pins 1 and 2 may need to be reversed. One pin is for the signal to turn the receiver on, the other to power it (I think). I think the result of reversing them would only be that the reciever would remain in an "on" state anytime the ignition was on, instead of only when you select the tuner as your input source.

++ The biggest unknown for me is whether the Vic system is set up to communicate with the receiver without using a translater. I'm guessing that it is, but I just don't know.

+++++ WARNING!!! I have not tried this! I'm only looking at wiring diagrams. I do believe it to be correct, but without trying it, I can't say with any real certainty that it will work. I also can not guarantee that by doing this, you won't cause damage to either the SiriusXM tuner, the Vic stereo, or both.

If it does work, it would mean a savings of well over $800.00 though!

If anyone has suggestions on this, or especially if you try it, please share it with us!

The SiriusXM model SXV100V1 looks like it could be made to work too, but I can't find a schematic for it.

I've sent an email to SiriusXM for clarification of their data system. If I get anything back from them that helps, I'll add it here.

Edited by cchristo 2012-02-12 10:52 AM
BlueByu
Posted 2012-02-12 11:26 AM (#107564 - in reply to #107557)

Cruiser

Houston, Tx
Wow....... no way I would've been able to figure that crap out. Hoping someone does make an attempt at this.

As for the savings, since I already have the Vic audio cable (part of CB purchase)...all I'd need is the $430 XM unit. All said, I still would like to save the money but really want a Sirius unit since I'm already used to the programming and channel selections.
BlueByu
Posted 2012-02-20 7:34 AM (#108149 - in reply to #107378)

Cruiser

Houston, Tx
Okay, since I'm not brave/experienced enough to try and splice into the system, I've been chatting with a XCT rider. He uses an Ipod and as well is using the FM Direct Adapter (linked previously). He stated that it works perfectly with absolutely no static. Understandably, I won't have FULL control of the Sat radio via the Vision controls which I'm okay with. This allows me full control of Ipod which is in my trunk and now with this lil' adapter I can have Sat unit (must be on any radio station but when Sat unit is turned on, it over-rides basic FM) within hands reach!!

My question is, would this adapter tap into the system at the radio head unit (under the console) or is there another connection point between radio and antenna that I may not be aware of? If another, where is it????

Thanks all...
cchristo
Posted 2012-02-21 6:37 AM (#108236 - in reply to #108149)

Tourer

san antonio, tx
BlueByu - 2012-02-20 7:34 AM

My question is, would this adapter tap into the system at the radio head unit (under the console) or is there another connection point between radio and antenna that I may not be aware of? If another, where is it????

Thanks all...

The adaptor the link leads to is inserted in between the antenna and the antenna cable. Not sure though if the vic antenna uses a standard antenna plug like is used in cars. never looked at it. If it uses a standard connector plug, there would be no cutting or splicing required.

The only problem with the FM adapters is that they severely compress the audio. Not a big deal since we aren't talking High Fidelity anyway when we're rolling down the road at 80mph.

Edited by cchristo 2012-02-21 6:42 AM
BlueByu
Posted 2012-02-21 9:52 AM (#108243 - in reply to #108236)

Cruiser

Houston, Tx

cchristo - 2012-02-21 6:37 AM BlueByu - 2012-02-20 7:34 AM My question is, would this adapter tap into the system at the radio head unit (under the console) or is there another connection point between radio and antenna that I may not be aware of? If another, where is it???? Thanks all... The adaptor the link leads to is inserted in between the antenna and the antenna cable. Not sure though if the vic antenna uses a standard antenna plug like is used in cars. never looked at it. If it uses a standard connector plug, there would be no cutting or splicing required. The only problem with the FM adapters is that they severely compress the audio. Not a big deal since we aren't talking High Fidelity anyway when we're rolling down the road at 80mph.

Okay... so since I've never looked for this before now, can someone tell me where this would be on the Vision??

ljurgens
Posted 2014-01-15 8:27 AM (#150510 - in reply to #108149)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

BlueByu - 2012-02-20 7:34 AM Okay, since I'm not brave/experienced enough to try and splice into the system, I've been chatting with a XCT rider. He uses an Ipod and as well is using the FM Direct Adapter (linked previously). He stated that it works perfectly with absolutely no static. Understandably, I won't have FULL control of the Sat radio via the Vision controls which I'm okay with. This allows me full control of Ipod which is in my trunk and now with this lil' adapter I can have Sat unit (must be on any radio station but when Sat unit is turned on, it over-rides basic FM) within hands reach!! My question is, would this adapter tap into the system at the radio head unit (under the console) or is there another connection point between radio and antenna that I may not be aware of? If another, where is it???? Thanks all...

How did you get your ipod connected in the trunk? Is there an extension cable that you used? I'd love to move mine out of the little glove box.

Street Eagle
Posted 2014-01-15 10:18 AM (#150514 - in reply to #107378)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
Yes there are extension cables. Do a search on iPod extension cables. It's a 30 pin male to female connection
ljurgens
Posted 2014-01-15 11:59 AM (#150518 - in reply to #150514)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

Street Eagle - 2014-01-15 10:18 AM Yes there are extension cables. Do a search on iPod extension cables. It's a 30 pin male to female connection

I should have known better, of course there are!

$7 for this one.

Street Eagle
Posted 2014-01-15 12:11 PM (#150519 - in reply to #107378)

Iron Butt

Manchester, CT
One recommendation. Its been posted and I also experienced issues with generic brand cables. First issue is some don't pass the audio. They function well for recharging though. 2nd issue is the quality of the cable connections going into the connectors are fragile. I've found Belkin cables to be very reliable and come with a 2year warranty. Of course there are the cables from Apple but they are pricey. If you can afford it, go with a good cable. It will save down the road.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-01-15 7:04 PM (#150541 - in reply to #107378)

Visionary

a few years back a guy here bought a used Sirius box off craigslist and plugged it into the cable that comes stock in the glove box and it worked fine
Handsome_Stranger
Posted 2014-01-28 1:37 AM (#150814 - in reply to #107457)

Puddle Jumper

Salisbury, MD United States

Savage -- I realize that this is an old thread but I would like to see how you have your Sirius radio mounted. I found the Starmate 8 tonight at Best Buy and I would love to duplicate your setup. Do you have intructions?

Thanks for your time.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™