You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Tool Kit
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

MaddMAx2u
Posted 2011-07-19 9:45 AM (#91132)
Subject: Tool Kit

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
OK guys, what's in your tool kit? As a new Vision owner I'm getting ready to put together a small tool kit to replace the totally crappy one that Victory supplies. (Isn't it nice to spend a fortune on a new bike and get a tool kit from a bubble gum machine? Really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!) Since I am planning a few trips this fall it would be nice to know what you guys think is important enough to carry along. Oh, and I assume everything is metric since the sad wrenches in my Vic kit are metric.

So what's important enough to be in your kit?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-07-19 9:48 AM (#91133 - in reply to #91132)
Subject: RE: Tool Kit

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va

These....

1. half hose - protects the jug fin when using long nose needle nose pliers to pull the spark plug wire.
  2. 10mm rachet boxend - anything 10mm, but can be used with the 6mm allen to loosen the pinch bolts on the triple tree.
  3. 8mm allen (used with #2) - Brake caliper mount bolts
  4. 6mm allen (used with #2) - pinch bolts on the triple tree
  5. 6mm deepwell on 3/8" to 1/4" adapter - brake pad pin. this works well as a speeder.
  6. 5/8 allen - front axle
  7. 19mm 90 degree bent wrench - holds the nuts on the lowerside of the handle bars.

Edited by Cap'n Nemo 2011-07-19 9:53 AM

(CIMG0402.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CIMG0402.jpg (59KB - 1 downloads)
SYNSTR
Posted 2011-07-19 9:57 AM (#91134 - in reply to #91132)
Subject: Re: Tool Kit

Iron Butt

Mt. Vernon, WASH.
1 SEARS metric Allen Wrench 13 piece set 1.5 to 10 mm (set # 146755)
4 or 5 metric combo open end wrenches ( the cheapos from Horrible Freight are fine)
a changeable tip screwdriver with an assortment of standard and Phillips tips (magnetic shank, ya never know-)
a one pound SEARS plastic tipped dead blow hammer
good quality tire pressure gage
hoosiervic
Posted 2011-07-19 10:06 AM (#91135 - in reply to #91132)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN
The sizes in the factory kit cover most fasteners on the bike. Like nemo did, get one of each size from your favorite tool company and put them in a roll-up. I keep a couple pairs of nitrile shop gloves in mine with the tools. They are cheap, take up virtually no space and are indispensable when you don't have the means to clean up on the road. Also you can get a pretty high power small flashlight from Sam's club that only takes three AAA batteries. They are quite similar to a Maglight in quality and function and the light is extremely bright. One last thing is a small motorcycle tire repair kit. Very compact and include CO2 cylinders for inflation. http://www.mcpaonline.com/Stop--Go-POCKET-TIRE-PLUGGERS-FOR-TUBELES...

Edited by hoosiervic 2011-07-19 10:12 AM
Magic
Posted 2011-07-19 11:10 AM (#91139 - in reply to #91135)

Cruiser

San Antonio, Texas
Hoosiervic---about those nitrile gloves, you have to remember that they have a shelf life and will need to be changed every so often--or they will simply rip apart when you try to put them on.
johnnyvision
Posted 2011-07-19 11:32 AM (#91142 - in reply to #91132)

Visionary

Needle noise pliers for pulling fuzz's Those buttons that holds the panels down that cover the fuzz boxes never push the center locks in flush. Leave enough to get your fingers on them now you don't need a tool to pull them up. Take some duck tape and pull two or three long strips and stick them to the outer saddle bag lid. I have a small pill bottle with some electric connectors in it a long with some electric wire. I wrapped the wire around a screw driver so its coiled now and shoved in the same bottle. Yes extra fuzz's. Another pill bottle has some nuts and bolt's in it. The 5/8's allen is a must in case you need to pull the front wheel and the shop your stock at doesn't have one. If your taking a good old road map with you mark on it where are all the dealers along your wrote and a list of phone numbers. I have a harley atlas that shows all there dealers and where they are another dealer of some sort not to far from them if you need them.
I work on my bike all the time and in the back of my mind I think of what I could do on the side of the road. Not much butt then are bikes are made pretty dam good. Put some star washers on your battery terminals before leaving town.

(IMG_0096.JPG)

(IMG_0001.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0096.JPG (53KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0001.JPG (89KB - 0 downloads)
hoosiervic
Posted 2011-07-19 11:49 AM (#91144 - in reply to #91139)

Tourer

Indianapolis, IN

Magic - 2011-07-19 12:10 PM Hoosiervic---about those nitrile gloves, you have to remember that they have a shelf life and will need to be changed every so often--or they will simply rip apart when you try to put them on.

According to the manufacturers web site, nitrile gloves as well as their other synthetic material gloves have a shelf life of 5 years, give or take.

http://ansellpro.com/main/pressRoom_whitePapers_details.asp?rId=37

I usually just use the ones in my on board supply when I am working on the bike and replace them when done (I've got the tool kit out anyway). This way as you point out I have fresh gloves on the bike at any time they may be needed. 

My only point is that you don't need hand cleaners etc. when out on the road, just use the gloves in the needed "situation" and pull them off when your done. Behold, clean hands ready to mount up and ride off with a smile. And as we bikers are concerned about space, they really don't take up any. 

donetracey
Posted 2011-07-19 12:11 PM (#91146 - in reply to #91132)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
BEST tools : AAA Membership & Credit Card - all I have needed for 30 - 40 years ...

and a Cell Phone to call AAA is a useful tool ...

OH - and I have used THESE tools exactly ONCE in 30 - 40 years - Flat tire that BCAA came within 30 minutes to put a plug in so I could get to a Bike Shop for more perminent repair. Lucky, I guess.
dtoddrship
Posted 2011-07-19 12:34 PM (#91148 - in reply to #91132)

Cruiser

Austin, Texas
Yep, I'm with donetracy. Cell phone, credit card and my insurance card to call Progressive (they have roadside assistance coverage).
sanqhar
Posted 2011-07-19 2:31 PM (#91158 - in reply to #91132)

Puddle Jumper

UK
The tools needed to remove the wheels.

I've been there. On holiday and 500 miles from home and a slow puncture. Got the bike to a tyre depot and no way were they going to remove the wheel (rear on a BMW K75, luckily easy to remove). I had to do it in a corner of the workshop.

Since then I have always carried enough to do it. I currently run a Yamaha FJR 1300 and removing the rear wheel is not easy.

tom
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-07-19 4:52 PM (#91164 - in reply to #91132)

Iron Butt

My first full size touring bike was a '96 Yamaha Venture Royale that I bought used (only 2600 miles!) in '96 and it came with the most extensive factory tool kit you could imagine, you could nearly take the entire bike apart with it if need be. As I progressed through two different Honda Goldwings ('98 GL1500 and '03 GL1800) and onto my '08 Vision the factory supplied tools kits basically became worthless so I went out and purchased my own fairly complete tool kit from CruzTOOLS in the form of the RoadTech M3 tool kit. It almost has more tools than my old Venture tool kit and it rolls up into a nice 4" dia. x 8" long package that sits in my left saddlebag with my Stop-N-Go tire plugger kit with CO2 cartridges for emergency road side tire fixes.

Like Don I also carry a AAA card and a credit card that I have yet to use.
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-07-19 4:54 PM (#91165 - in reply to #91132)

Iron Butt

Here is a picture of the CruzTOOLS kit that I carry on my Vision.

CruzTools M3 tool kit

wibiker
Posted 2011-07-19 5:27 PM (#91169 - in reply to #91132)

Cruiser

not far from hustler wisconsin
i usually carry too many tools i have found, The Vic doesn't give trouble to me at all. i carry sae sockets and wrenchs too in case someone else needs help
vicguy
Posted 2011-07-19 11:30 PM (#91210 - in reply to #91169)

Cruiser

shakopee , Mn
The same kit I carried on the TC.

The only use is by riding companions on other brands.
MaddMAx2u
Posted 2011-07-20 5:13 AM (#91216 - in reply to #91132)

Iron Butt

Orlando, FL
Thanks to everyone for the input. It has helped a lot. While I have always carried donetracey's toolkit (AAA card and a credit card) I like to have a litte extra just in case it's something simple.
johnnyvision
Posted 2011-07-20 10:43 AM (#91234 - in reply to #91132)

Visionary

I keep my old spark plugs in the kit a long with a socket. Now I have put in a small first aid kit that I hope I never use.
GURNZ
Posted 2011-07-20 2:01 PM (#91240 - in reply to #91132)

Cruiser

Spfld, IL but temp Bay area, CA
Besides the tools mentioned, a tire plugger and a roll of Magic Tape will fix any leaky hose until you get somewhere to fix it right.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™