You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

For those who have factory GPS or have knowledge of them
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

divesharc
Posted 2008-05-27 12:01 AM (#10914)
Subject: For those who have factory GPS or have knowledge of them

Cruiser

VA
Ok, I know not all of you who have these installed them themselves, but I wanted to ask a slightly technical question. How does the factory Garmin GPS hook into the harness? Is it a special connector, or is it using a 1/8" plug like that which works for the universal MP3 player? The reason I ask is that I have a TomTom GPS that I just ordered a waterproof RAM mount for, and I plan to put it on the bike. I don't want to take the center console piece off to find that it is a Garmin connector only, but I thought if it was just a standard 1/8" plug that I might try to hook the TomTom into the radio and see if it works and will give me voice directions over the radio. I know that it's a long shot, but I figured I'd try. I appreciate the help.

Edited by divesharc 2008-05-27 12:03 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Member No. 1
Posted 2008-05-27 5:20 AM (#10920 - in reply to #10914)
Subject: RE: For those who have factory GPS or have knowledge of them

Cruiser

Under the Rule of Jedi - Masshole
The factory GPS has a specific cable that allows it to be integrated into the system. However, I have a Garmin Zumo 550 which doesn't have this feature so I just use the 3.5mm or 1/8 if you will jack on the side like you would for a mp3 player. Only downside is you need to have the radio set to AUX, but you will get voice prompts over the speakers. But since my GPS is also an mp3 player, this option works fine for me.
See the set up here...
http://gallery.mac.com/petefredette#100124/100_0387&bgcolor=black
RedRider
Posted 2008-05-27 11:03 AM (#10926 - in reply to #10914)
Subject: Re: For those who have factory GPS or have knowledge of them

Visionary

Hey No. 1,
I like the carbon fiber look of your dash.
A question about the GPS setup. Is there a cover for the connector against the bad weather when you don't have the Zumo in the cradle? Or do your disconnect the cradle, unplug and stash in the glove box?
divesharc
Posted 2008-05-27 5:49 PM (#10948 - in reply to #10914)

Cruiser

VA
No.1, thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was something different. I already have my iPd hooked into the AUX, and wanted to keep that the way it is. I set my TomTom to transmit on an unused FM station, so when I start to need directions, I just flipped over to that station, but I was hoping I could keep it all together, but no such luck. Thanks for saving me the headache of taking the console off though, I really appreciate it.
Member No. 1
Posted 2008-05-27 8:39 PM (#10956 - in reply to #10948)

Cruiser

divesharc - Anything to help.
But I did hear/read a rumor that Victory is working on something to allow the Zumo to be integrated. My fingers are crossed.
Member No. 1
Posted 2008-05-27 8:45 PM (#10957 - in reply to #10926)

Cruiser

BlueOx USA - 2008-05-27 11:03 AM

Hey No. 1,
I like the carbon fiber look of your dash.
A question about the GPS setup. Is there a cover for the connector against the bad weather when you don't have the Zumo in the cradle? Or do your disconnect the cradle, unplug and stash in the glove box?
BC - Yes there is a small rubber cover that flips over and covers the contacts. But since the Zumo is waterproof (IPX7 rated) and is made for a motorcycle vs a car GPS, and the contacts are gold plated, I don't worry about it much.

Thanks for the kudos on the dash. It was either that or wood grain!
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-06-21 8:48 PM (#12190 - in reply to #10914)
Subject: RE: For those who have factory GPS or have knowledge of them

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
FYI, I have bought the factory Garman mount kit and will not be installing the Victory/Garman overly-priced GPS. I received the Service manual last week or so and it includes the electrical schematics/pinouts for everything including the radio system. I picked up the GPS kit because of the sweet billet aluminium mount (and the fact that the under-side of the console is already marked for drilling for it and a spare mount clip for my Crossover model GPS was only $7, which I will modify to mount on the billet peice). The pinout is very rudimentary. 2 wires for audio speaker input and 2 wire for 12VDC pwr supply (ignition switched and common grounded to the antenna; if I recall correctly). I do not know how proprietary the harness connector for the input/pwr cable is but I suspect it is not actually made BY Victory. Unfortunately, I am now offshore for another 25 days. If there is any interest in this, I will make some notes of the change-over (and maybe take a few pics in the process).
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-22 9:48 AM (#12201 - in reply to #10914)

Cruiser

VA
bigwill, if you do this, I would certainly be interested in any pics. Like I said, I'm just trying to get my TomTom to work with it. Looks like I can do that, but seeing pics and instructions would be awesome!
Miles
Posted 2008-06-22 3:50 PM (#12211 - in reply to #10914)

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
If that wiring really is just for power/audio, I don't see any reason one couldn't "make" a cable using the Victory harness for any GPS.
bigwill5150
Posted 2008-06-22 8:11 PM (#12220 - in reply to #12211)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
My point exactly Miles. In fact, I am probably going to sacrifice one of those universal power supply kit cable ends so that I can easily upgrade or swap out any peice of gear that meets the 12VDC requirement. I appreciate some of the features you gain with the stock GPS system (the anti-theft locking stud on top of the mount, for one) but I will not pay that much $$$ for something I already own in a different package. Owning a GPS for each of my different vehicles seems ludicris to me. I should find a way to post some of those awesome schematics that Victory included in the service manual; however, I am SURE they are copyrighted (and I don't wanna spit in their face while I'm doing this; after all, they DID release an awesome service manual at risk of letting us figure these things out). Maybe I can throw something quick together with MS paint when I'm done and it's all proven. Mind you, I DO plan on riding a lot in my off time, so it might take awhile. When I get back inland, I am going to be VERY interested in finding out what ALL the wiring harnesses for radio accessories look like in the service side. I haven't had a chance to do this yet because I only had the bike a couple weeks before rotating offshore. XM may be my next project to tackle after this GPS is finished. I need to hop over to that thread yet...
-Will
divesharc
Posted 2009-02-26 12:32 AM (#29083 - in reply to #10948)

Cruiser

VA
Will, I never found out, did you ever mount your GPS and integrate it into the exisiting wiring harness. I haven't done mine yet, but wanted to get it done before I went to Myrtle Beach in May. I got my Ram mount, and it works well, but I am tired of balling up the unused cord in the glove box, and not having the audio integrated. Have any suggestions and/or pics. I want to get started on it the next week or so. I just got lazy with wanting to ride and not wanting to take things apart.

Marc
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™