You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Have you replaced your own Vision headlamps?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

pollolittle
Posted 2012-04-11 3:56 PM (#111978 - in reply to #111248)
Subject: Re: Have you replaced your own Vision headlamps?

Visionary

Brighton, TN
1. Remove windshield access panel.
2. Open glove compartment and gas tank lid. Pull up on Console Cover in front of seat and remove.
3. Remove air deflectors with Torx T-20 driver.
4. Remove Instrument bezel by using a soft plastic putty knife under edge and pull towards you. It is just snapped into place.
5. Remove 5 console screws using a 4 and a 6mm allen socket (use with rachet or air rachet). Note the location of the ground wire to be reattached later. I use a rachet with about an 8 inch extension to get me away from hitting the body panels.
6. Lift Console up and disconnect the wires from under it from the switches and the radio.
7. Removing Tank Covers, remove the studs (use 13mm socket), and the four 6mm screws, two up close to dash, one in glove compartment, and one under gas tank lid. Disconnect cables from ignition switch for the glove compartment latch, disconnect the audio cable to the glove box by pulling up on the green square on the connector. For the other cover, remove the fuel door cable at the cover end by lifting cable out of bracket and pulling cable and door latch plunger out of cover.
8. Begin to Remove the Leg Fairing by removing the four screws, 6mm allen socket, securing the front tip over boards on each side.
9. Now remove the belly pan, remove the five screws securing the belly pan, one center and two each under the front tip overs.
10. Back to Remove the Leg Fairing, the aluminum pieces come off with the leg fairings as an assembly. Remove the center bolt under the grill. Remove two screws underneath the headlamp assembly for the left and right grills. Remove the four screws, 6mm allen socket, on top for the leg fairings. Once all is disconnected, pull the top of the leg fairing away from the body to release the spring tab. Slide the assembly forward until it clears the footrest and seat. NOTE: Disconnect (with free hand (sarcasm)) the lit badge wire harness.
11. Almost there, Remove the mirrors, one screw, 6mm allen socket, and bolt, 10mm socket.
12. NOTE: The headlamp assembly and turn signals can all be removed together as a unit, just need an extra hand, like usual. There are four bolts, 10mm wrench or racheting gear wrench, for the headlamp assembly and then two screws, 6mm allen socket, for the outermost corner of the upper fairing connecting the dash and the fairing. NOTE: There is a peg and grommet connection that you have to pull apart to slide the assembly forward. To disconnect the peg and grommet just grab the outer edge of the upper fairing and pull away, and when it clears slide gently forward to keep it from going back in the grommet. Repeat for the other side and then pull the whole assembly forward enough to replace lights.
13. Reassemble in opposite order and clean along the way, just cause.

All of the information I gleaned from the 2008 Victory Vision Service Manual. Pages 3.18 - 3.24 and it has pictures. If I remember correctly this is the way I did it. Time saved by use of a bike lift, priceless.

Enjoy, I'm tired now. Oh yeah, Radioteacher the pics like usual are up to you. I don't know how to take pics and work at the same time.

Edited by pollolittle 2012-04-11 4:00 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
donetracey
Posted 2012-04-11 4:14 PM (#111979 - in reply to #111976)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

pollolittle - 2012-04-11 12:58 PM donetracey - if you make it this far without headlights and bring the Crown Royal (it is Canadian after all), I'll supply the Dr. Pepper and change your bulbs for you. Stop in Wisconsin and pick up some Cheese Curds. Radioteacher - the book does an excellent job of what to do there is just a lot of flipping back and forth to the different sections. Of course, there is no section I have found on replacing headlights. In the 2008 edition of the service manual on page 3.24, section for FRONT FAIRING & TURN SIGNAL LENS is where I start from. I will see if I can condense it for ya'll and then it can be added as a technical article and then free t-shirts or ball-caps, and then free Crown Royal and then Free Dr Pepper, I can't wait.

CROWN ROYAL ? Are you out of your mind??? For the cost of that here in Canada, I could buy a new VV everytime the headlight fails.

____ maybe a pint at 'duty-free', hmmm ?

(images.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments images.jpg (9KB - 0 downloads)
pollolittle
Posted 2012-04-11 4:19 PM (#111980 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I thought it might have been cheaper since it was made there. Tell you what then, come on down, I'll go get the half gallon jug from the base for around $40 and three bucks for couple of 2 liter Dr. Pepper and party to be had. What was it you were supplin' again?
donetracey
Posted 2012-04-12 12:03 AM (#112015 - in reply to #111980)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

pollolittle - 2012-04-11 2:19 PM I thought it might have been cheaper since it was made there. Tell you what then, come on down, I'll go get the half gallon jug from the base for around $40 and three bucks for couple of 2 liter Dr. Pepper and party to be had. What was it you were supplin' again?

Supplin' ??? Moi?  Me?

Canadian Bacon? My delightful sense of humour? Lessons on the metric system? Loonies & Toonies? An IOU ?

(images22.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments images22.jpg (5KB - 0 downloads)
varyder
Posted 2012-04-12 5:22 AM (#112018 - in reply to #112015)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
donetracey - 2012-04-12 1:03 AM

pollolittle - 2012-04-11 2:19 PM I thought it might have been cheaper since it was made there. Tell you what then, come on down, I'll go get the half gallon jug from the base for around $40 and three bucks for couple of 2 liter Dr. Pepper and party to be had. What was it you were supplin' again?

Supplin' ??? Moi?  Me?

Canadian Bacon? My delightful sense of humour? Lessons on the metric system? Loonies & Toonies? An IOU ?

Tickets, get your tickets!!!  To see a drunk canuk and hillbilly Tennessean change a Vision lightbulb! 

pollolittle
Posted 2012-04-12 9:29 AM (#112036 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
And ya'll thought this board was gettin' boring!!!! Radioteacher has to come up to film it, I'm seeing Hollywood in my future.
donetracey
Posted 2012-04-12 1:03 PM (#112049 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

OK - I'm in! Me and the Co-Pilot will be there as soon as my headlight burns out. If I notice it (I don't drive at night) ....

Nozzledog
Posted 2012-04-13 1:24 AM (#112085 - in reply to #111980)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
pollolittle - 2012-04-11 2:19 PM

I thought it might have been cheaper since it was made there. Tell you what then, come on down, I'll go get the half gallon jug from the base for around $40 and three bucks for couple of 2 liter Dr. Pepper and party to be had. What was it you were supplin' again?

$40 US? Isn't that like $4000 Canadian? How many monopoly games do you have to open to get $4000?
donetracey
Posted 2012-04-13 2:05 AM (#112086 - in reply to #112085)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

Nozzledog - 2012-04-12 11:24 PM $40 US? Isn't that like $4000 Canadian? How many monopoly games do you have to open to get $4000?

NO MAN! Way more than that !

But when Pollo makes us FAMOUS, I will be able to have a small bottle once a year!  YEAH !!!!

radioteacher
Posted 2012-04-24 3:21 PM (#112852 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
pollolittle,

Thank you very much!!!! I could not have done the work without your instructions. I will add some notes and re-post them.

All,

OK, I am coming up for air.

Good news. I changed the lights out.

Bad news. I did not film the whole thing.

I made a short film about the number of parts that had to be removed after they were all off. I am sure that I will have to do this again and will be ready to video it in the future.

Doing the work is very frustrating just to change the headlamp blubs. I hate you Mr. Song!

Doing the work also puts into perspective the craftsmanship and vision needed to build such a complex machine. I love you Mr. Song!

What I might do is a walk through video showing the work that needs to be done.

I had a real problem that took some time to resolve. Some dealer striped the hex allen bolt of the front bolt for the right tipover. I could not get Allen tip to engage to back it off. That took time, a new bolt and tools to resolve. New bolt....$0.39. That is all it took to do the job right.

Three screws were missing. One in the belly pan and two in the left fairing.

I also bought a steel Harbor Freight motorcycle jack. I posted about that in a different thread.

I will post more later.

Ride Safe
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-04-24 5:31 PM (#112863 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

The first time I put in the really bright white lights. They lasted one year all most to the day. Went to the auto parts store and ask for the longest life lights not going on 2 years.
pollolittle
Posted 2012-04-24 8:12 PM (#112879 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Radioteacher your welcome! I might however try out your flavor of Scotch, if I remember correctly. If not crown royal will do.
airguy
Posted 2012-05-22 1:43 PM (#114899 - in reply to #112879)

Cruiser

Hinton, Iowa
Does anybody know if it's easier to put the boot on the light then plug the plug in (if this is possible) or better toput yhe boot on the ight first. I am most of the way there, Ive got the new bulb in and clip back on..Thanks in advance . Ride Safe, Mike
Turk
Posted 2012-08-17 1:18 PM (#121690 - in reply to #114899)

Iron Butt

I'm trying the reach up underneath method, and for the life of me, I can not get the electrical connector off the back of the existing bulb! Is there a latch or something that I'm missing?

Lotzafun
Posted 2012-08-17 1:50 PM (#121693 - in reply to #121690)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

Turk - 2012-08-17 1:18 PM I'm trying the reach up underneath method, and for the life of me, I can not get the electrical connector off the back of the existing bulb! Is there a latch or something that I'm missing?

As far as the connector there is no latch. Just a SUPER snug and tight fit. Last time I changed a bulb I ended up fishing a long pair of needle nose pliers up in there to "coax" the plug to let loose.

Good luck !!

Turk
Posted 2012-08-17 2:20 PM (#121695 - in reply to #121693)

Iron Butt

Guess I'll go pick up a pair of long reach pliers, but it just seems like it's welded on their.... almost like it'll have to be pried off.
varyder
Posted 2012-08-17 2:28 PM (#121696 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I had to remove my assembly the first time and discovered the wire clip that holds the bulb in was mounted wrong. Fixed that and now I can replace the lights with little difficulty. I do have smaller hands...
glighto11
Posted 2012-08-17 2:50 PM (#121699 - in reply to #111248)

Iron Butt

Central New York
If all else fails, a quarter stick right behind the headlight will open the space right up.
Necktie
Posted 2012-08-17 5:53 PM (#121706 - in reply to #111248)

Cruiser

Prescott, Az
Radioteacher-I eagerly await your video on how to take apart the front end to get at the bulbs. The first time mine went out I paid $170 labor + bulbs. Ouch! The second time I had a rather handy small handed friend try (no pun intended). The boots were hard to get off as they are pinched firmly against the frame by harnesses on each side. The harness does not move so he could not get the boots back on. He gave up. A dealership offered to replace the bulbs for just the price of the bulbs so I brought him the boots and the bike. When I got home I discovered the boots were just hanging on the wires doing nothing. I called the dealer and advised that although I appreciated the deal he gave me, I could have just left the boots hanging and save myself a 100 mile one way drive. He said to bring it back and they would do it right. The mechanic said afyer the second visit that he had to take the front end apart to get the boots on correctly. He said he had them on correctly the first time and I just looked at him and said "No. You did not." He admitted then he didn't think it would matter. Anyway 400 miles later and $100 for two bulbs, mine are fine till the next time. Please make your video, like all the rest you have made, easy for us dumb guys. Thanks to you and pollolittle for all the knowledge.
atvtinker
Posted 2012-08-17 9:49 PM (#121713 - in reply to #111248)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Man, I wish I would've thought about filming this. I just put mine all back together today. I was making the two inner running lights into turn signals. I thought Radioteacher had already filmed this so I didn't.
Newfie
Posted 2012-08-18 1:21 PM (#121733 - in reply to #121706)

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
Necktie - 2012-08-17 4:53 PM

... The boots were hard to get off as they are pinched firmly against the frame by harnesses on each side. The harness does not move so he could not get the boots back on. ....

I have changed the headlight bulbs several times without removing the whole light fixture. In addition to removing the air filter another member recommended adjusting the headlight up as far as it will go. I did this the last time and it did make a noticeable difference, especially with the limited clearance for the boot on the right side where the wire harness is. Another trick I learned the last time was to use a small pry bar on the harness (from above the headlight) to get a little extra clearance for getting the boots back on. It was tricky using one hand from above for the pry bar while using the other hand to reach up from below and install the boot but it did help. As others have mentioned, this job is definitely "easier" if you have smaller hands.

Edited by Newfie 2012-08-18 1:25 PM
Turk
Posted 2012-08-19 9:52 AM (#121751 - in reply to #121733)

Iron Butt

Newfie - 2012-08-18 1:21 PM

Necktie - 2012-08-17 4:53 PM

... The boots were hard to get off as they are pinched firmly against the frame by harnesses on each side. The harness does not move so he could not get the boots back on. ....

I have changed the headlight bulbs several times without removing the whole light fixture. In addition to removing the air filter another member recommended adjusting the headlight up as far as it will go. I did this the last time and it did make a noticeable difference, especially with the limited clearance for the boot on the right side where the wire harness is. Another trick I learned the last time was to use a small pry bar on the harness (from above the headlight) to get a little extra clearance for getting the boots back on. It was tricky using one hand from above for the pry bar while using the other hand to reach up from below and install the boot but it did help. As others have mentioned, this job is definitely "easier" if you have smaller hands.

I was finally able to get my connectors pried off with the help of long reach bent needle nose pliers. It did bend up the prongs on the back of the old bulbs. Those connectors get very hot, and apparently after a while, they can become almost fused onto the bulbs. But, putting them back on was easier. I actually got the bulbs in, latched the retaining springs, then put the boots on before hooking up the connectors. You have to be careful that you get the prongs from the bulb out the center hole of the boot. The last step for me was then plugging the connector back onto the prongs. It wasn't necessary for me to thread the connector thru the boot first before plugging it onto the bulb and lastly positioning the boot. Doing it the other way seemed far easier and worked out fine.

Edited by Turk 2012-08-19 9:54 AM
cw1115
Posted 2012-08-21 5:50 PM (#121905 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I got mine out easy. Bulb was good, but one of the sockets was melted into a blob. I was able to replace that easy. I could not for the life of me get the retainer back on. After an hour and injured hand I pulled the body work. :-/

Edited by cw1115 2012-08-21 5:50 PM
Riverdawg
Posted 2012-08-21 6:52 PM (#121909 - in reply to #111248)
Subject: RE: Have you replaced your own Vision headlamps?

Cruiser

Camas Washington
Come on people its not hard at all!! Got a friend of mine to help, it was helpful she has small hands. All it take is removing the air filter and the front bezel to provide more light. After we fiqured it out it went fast and easy. I'm a big guy with fat fingers and I was able to reach in from underneath and unclip the wire hing and takeout the bulbs and replace. Next time can probably due it in under 30 min if even that long.
johnnyvision
Posted 2012-08-21 7:05 PM (#121910 - in reply to #111248)

Visionary

what can I say can do in an out 4 hours tops

(IMG_0001.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0001.JPG (65KB - 17 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™