You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Bridgestone MT up front and Dunlop CT on the rear is ...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Thomas
Posted 2012-05-24 1:20 PM (#115080)
Subject: Bridgestone MT up front and Dunlop CT on the rear is ...

Central Wisconsin

the tire combo that I've been running for more then 11,000 miles.

The factory Dunlop E3 radial up front was way to squishy for me.

At first I was concerned about having a radial CT on the rear and mounting a non-radial MT up front. After running this combination all of last year from Wisconsin-Colorado/New Mexico-Wisconsin and Wisconsin-South Dakota/Wyoming-Wisconsin, I have NO more concerns :-)

The Bridgestone Battlax BT45v non-radial sport touring rear tire up front seems to be wearing better then the Dunlop SP Wintersport Run on Flat radial CT  mounted on the rear. Which could be expected account of the Dunlop CT being a winter tire and the rear tire providing the power push, however the Dunlop CT seems to be wearing well.

This question is for those of you who have a car tire mounted, what is your current CT/MT combo?

The Bridgestone Battlax BT45v non-radial sport touring rear tire - 140/70v/18 - up front with more then 11,000 miles.

The Dunlop SP Wintersport Run on Flat radial CT  - 175/60r/16 -  mounted on the rear with more then 11,000 miles.

Edited by Thomas 2012-05-24 1:45 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pete a
Posted 2012-05-24 3:53 PM (#115085 - in reply to #115080)
Subject: Re: Bridgestone MT up front and Dunlop CT on the rear is ...

Cruiser

elgin mn
good report I only have 2500 on battelaxe. loks awsome yet 7000 on rear Hankook ventus v4 loks like new also!
g1nomad
Posted 2012-05-25 8:09 AM (#115144 - in reply to #115080)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
Just to confirm, you have a MC tire designed for the rear mounted on the front. If so,
is the directional arrow mounted opposite of how it states to be mounted? I read of
some trike riders doing that.
Thomas
Posted 2012-05-25 11:49 AM (#115154 - in reply to #115144)

Central Wisconsin

g1nomad - 2012-05-25 8:09 AM Just to confirm, you have a MC tire designed for the rear mounted on the front. If so, is the directional arrow mounted opposite of how it states to be mounted? I read of some trike riders doing that.

Yes the Battlax 140/70v/18 is designed as a rear sport-touring bike tire.

Yes I have the directional arrow mounted backwards. My understanding is the construction of the ply's are made to withstand acceleration forces as a rear tire. Therefore the theory is by mounting the rear tire backwards on the front it should handle the higher braking forces better. Another concern was how does the rear tire mounted backwards on the front channel or disperse the water away? Well, my experience has been positive with this tread design and without any hydroplaning issues. Now others have mounted this tire with the directional arrow pointing forward and are having good results too.  Oh' one annoyance, once in a while the tire tends to pick up a piece of gravel and let go of it inside the front fender.

Edited by Thomas 2012-05-25 12:04 PM
Thomas
Posted 2012-05-25 11:54 AM (#115155 - in reply to #115085)

Central Wisconsin

pete a - 2012-05-24 3:53 PM good report I only have 2500 on battelaxe. loks awsome yet 7000 on rear Hankook ventus v4 loks like new also!

Great!...Just curious do you have your Battlax directional arrow mounted forward or reversed?

Monkeyman
Posted 2012-06-14 5:16 AM (#116540 - in reply to #115080)

Iron Butt

Peru, IN
Darkside (Car Tire) on the back and rear MC tire on the front is called "Double Darkside". The theory is that there's more tread on most rear tires so it'll last longer. The basic tire is the same, front or rear.
Thomas
Posted 2012-06-22 9:46 PM (#117378 - in reply to #115144)

Central Wisconsin

g1nomad - 2012-05-25 8:09 AM Just to confirm, you have a MC tire designed for the rear mounted on the front. If so, is the directional arrow mounted opposite of how it states to be mounted? I read of some trike riders doing that.

Tires Directional Arrows Explained By Avon Tyres

baadawg
Posted 2012-07-08 11:41 AM (#118823 - in reply to #115080)

Tourer

Chattanooga, TN
I've been wondering about the tread pattern but didn't know it had to do with the manufacturing process as well. Thanks for the link Thomas!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™