You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Best Garmin GPS ??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Uncle
Posted 2008-06-16 8:37 AM (#11889)
Subject: Best Garmin GPS ??

Cruiser

Newburgh,IN
Hey Gang:

What is the best Garmin to buy for the Vision? I know that the 2620 is the Original one used, but are there any other ones that are better or is the 2620 as good as you need?

Thanks
Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spock
Posted 2008-06-16 9:51 AM (#11893 - in reply to #11889)
Subject: RE: Best Garmin GPS ??

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

I went with the Zumo 550 that is specifically made for motorcycles and it works awesome. Arizona Victory sells a mounting bracket for the Zumo 550 that bolts to the same place the one from Victory does but it is a little taller to support the Zumo 550. You can slice the power leads and audio leads from the Zumo 550 into the same GPS wiring leads that Victory has for their 2720 Garmin unit. 

The Zumo 550 is a much better device than the 2720 and I like it much better than the 2820. It was designed for a bike and has many design features that benefit bikers. 

Some of the features I like about the Zumo 550 are:
  - Brighter display
  - Touch screen and controls specifically designed to work with winter thick gloves
  - Garmin lock, secure mount feature for bikes that allows quick release
  - 4 hour batter support so you can take it in the dinner or hotel and work on routes etc.
  - High sensitivity receiver, work better in areas where you have obstructions
  - Supports SD data cards to store songs for the MP3 player, pictures etc.
  - It has a picture viewer function
  - Configurable icons for display to show a motorcycles or cars
DesertJim
Posted 2008-06-16 10:03 AM (#11895 - in reply to #11889)
Subject: Re: Best Garmin GPS ??

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Ditto on Spocks choice- In addition to what he mentioned, it has XM radio function built in. You do need to buy the XM receiver but it still is easier than the other choices.
Uncle
Posted 2008-06-16 10:16 AM (#11897 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

Newburgh,IN
Thanks guys, I checked the prices of the Zumo 550, Might be more than I can afford right now.

Thanks Again
flint350
Posted 2008-06-16 10:41 AM (#11898 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
Just curious, but why do you like the Zumo so much better than the 2820? The only worthwhile benefit I saw in your list was the easier to use touchscreen w/ gloves on. That would be useful. The others, not so much to me: picture viewer, SD cards, icons for cars, etc. The requirement to splice cables, is a turn off for me. The 2820 is cheaper, is also built specifically for motorcycles just like Zumo, has a lower profile (which I like), is fully integrated without re-wiring and has the XM capability just like the Zumo. With either one you have to buy and locate the receiver/antenna. Not disputing your preference, just trying to understand if it is really that much better and worth considering.

Edited by flint350 2008-06-16 10:44 AM
DesertJim
Posted 2008-06-16 11:22 AM (#11904 - in reply to #11897)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Uncle - 2008-06-16 8:16 AM

Thanks guys, I checked the prices of the Zumo 550, Might be more than I can afford right now.

Thanks Again

Uncle - Got my Zumo 550 on line for $640.00, I think it was PC Nation.
akabubba42
Posted 2008-06-16 11:44 AM (#11906 - in reply to #11898)

Puddle Jumper

Waterproof

Other features........a couple new screens that display compass, large speedo, distance till fuel empty, etc.

It really is pretty sweet and I like the 550 better than the system that came in my Lexus.....plus I don't have to be stopped to work it...........LMAO

Spock
Posted 2008-06-16 12:03 PM (#11908 - in reply to #11906)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

A friend of mine just bought the Zumo 550 at 86th street photo & video for $499.00 which is an awesome deal. Here is the link.

http://86photovideo.com/products.asp?dept_id=10358&product_id=18765

Spock
Posted 2008-06-16 12:25 PM (#11912 - in reply to #11898)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

flint350 - 2008-06-16 9:41 AM Just curious, but why do you like the Zumo so much better than the 2820? The only worthwhile benefit I saw in your list was the easier to use touchscreen w/ gloves on. That would be useful. The others, not so much to me: picture viewer, SD cards, icons for cars, etc. The requirement to splice cables, is a turn off for me. The 2820 is cheaper, is also built specifically for motorcycles just like Zumo, has a lower profile (which I like), is fully integrated without re-wiring and has the XM capability just like the Zumo. With either one you have to buy and locate the receiver/antenna. Not disputing your preference, just trying to understand if it is really that much better and worth considering.

I have friends that have the 2820 on their bikes and after they see the Zumo 550 side by side they all wished they had the Zumo 550. The display on the Zumo 550 is much brighter and this is a big deal on a bike. Having the buttons on the left side of the Zumo 550 rather than the right side like the 2820 is a big plus on a bike. The built in battery is also a big plus for bike operation as you can quickly remove the Zumo 550 with the security key feature it has and take it in with you while having lunch or coffee and work on routes, favorites or places to see. The battery also allows you to take it off the bike and use it when you are hiking in a park or other area which is nice.

The SD card allows you to store custom points of interests which I have a lot of them on mine. You can also store music to play through the built in MP3 player if you want. You can take the SD card out of your camera and place it in the Zumo 550 and use the much bigger screen to view your pictures. If you ever go outside of North America you can purchase and load maps for other regions on the SD card.

The GPS receiver on the Zumo 550 is much better than the 2820. You will get GPS signal in parking garages and in heavily wooded areas where you won’t with the 2820.

Splicing the wires is not hard and your dealer could do it for you. I can give you all the details if you would like. Also I think the Zumo 550 being a little narrower but taller works and looks better on the bike. You get more handlebar clearance and you can see the Zumo 550 easier in the way it is positioned with the Arizona Victory mount.

I will bet you good money that Victory will be supporting the Zumo 550 on the 2009 Visions and J&M Corp is working on a kit to integrate the Zumo 550 even better with the Vision and they won’t be doing one for the 2820. They should have this kit out this summer sometime.

sandman
Posted 2008-06-16 1:52 PM (#11923 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

rhode island
Well said spock!
Better intergration would a big plus, possibly a new dash with g.p.s built in or pop up out of existing stereo system.
Uncle
Posted 2008-06-16 3:48 PM (#11929 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

Newburgh,IN
Spock:

The link shows $529.00
Uncle
Posted 2008-06-16 3:57 PM (#11931 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

Newburgh,IN
Guys;

Here is a link to the mount for the Zumo 550 on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-Zumo-450-550-Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-010-1...
Uncle
Posted 2008-06-16 3:59 PM (#11932 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

Newburgh,IN
Guys;

Here is a link to the mount for the Zumo 550 on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-Zumo-450-550-Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-010-1...
Spock
Posted 2008-06-16 4:12 PM (#11933 - in reply to #11929)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

Uncle - 2008-06-16 2:48 PM Spock: The link shows $529.00

Wow I checked it just before posting it and it was at $499.00. I guess the price of the Zumo is on track with the pirce of oil.

DesertJim
Posted 2008-06-16 7:26 PM (#11942 - in reply to #11889)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Here is the custom mount from AZ Victory

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=581
flint350
Posted 2008-06-16 7:53 PM (#11944 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
Spock, fair enough and good answers to my question. Most of the things you list are, indeed, worthwhile. I paid $450 for my new 2820, but the extra $75 may well have been worth it, though not now that I have the 2820 installed. But I'll be watching. Thanks
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-16 11:20 PM (#11955 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

VA
Spock, it sounds as if you installed this yourself. I don't know exactly how knowledgeable you are about the installation, but I have a question for you. Someone else said that the audio connector on the vision is proprietary for the Garmin. Did you have to do any modifications? Also, is it just a proprietary connector, or are the leads that different. What I want to do is connect the audio out of my TomTom into the harness that the Garmin uses. I am hoping that it would work. I have an iPod so I don't want to lose that to gain the GPS voice instructions. I was hoping that the connector was specific for Garmins, but maybe by putting a 1/8" plug on it I could make it work for my TomTom and I would be happy. If you did the install, or if anyone has the answer, please let me know. I appreciate the help. I know I am cheap, but I just can't justify buying another GPS to the wife when I already have a perfectly good one already. Thanks.
RotnRat
Posted 2008-06-17 4:20 PM (#11974 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

South of Houston Tx
I have read through this thread as well as several others dealing with the various GPS's and mounting variables so forgive me if this information has been covered but I didn't find an answer that I was sure of.

Do any of these GPS solutions provide an audio integration with the Vision that cuts the radio when voice commands from the GPS are being spoken or do you have to use the Aux channel of the audio system?

I like the idea that they integrate through bluetooth with a cell phone but I don't have any intention of trying to wear A bluetooth headset or to purchase a helmet setup if I don't have to. Just seeing I have a call on my cellphone so I can get off the road is enough for me, but I would like to be able to listen to my radio and use turn by turn voice instructions from the GPS if possible.
Spock
Posted 2008-06-17 6:52 PM (#11987 - in reply to #11955)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

divesharc - 2008-06-16 10:20 PM Spock, it sounds as if you installed this yourself. I don't know exactly how knowledgeable you are about the installation, but I have a question for you. Someone else said that the audio connector on the vision is proprietary for the Garmin. Did you have to do any modifications? Also, is it just a proprietary connector, or are the leads that different. What I want to do is connect the audio out of my TomTom into the harness that the Garmin uses. I am hoping that it would work. I have an iPod so I don't want to lose that to gain the GPS voice instructions. I was hoping that the connector was specific for Garmins, but maybe by putting a 1/8" plug on it I could make it work for my TomTom and I would be happy. If you did the install, or if anyone has the answer, please let me know. I appreciate the help. I know I am cheap, but I just can't justify buying another GPS to the wife when I already have a perfectly good one already. Thanks.

On the right side of the console down a little ways in the opening between the frame and the gas tank there is a small bundle of wire that comes off the main wiring harness that has a connector on it with a rubber cap over the end. This is the connector that is intended for you to connect the Victory Garmin 2720 to with the wiring cable that Victory ships with the 2720.

There are 4 wires that go into this connect and here are their color codes and their purpose.
  - Orange with blue stripe wire is the positive audio
  - Grey with blue stripe wire is the negative audio
  - Black with white stripe wire is the ground
  - Brown with pink stripe wire is the power positive

I carefully cut about one quarter of an inch of the installation on each of the wires off about one to two inches back from the connector. I then twisted the appropriate wire from my GPS unit to the appropriate wire on the wiring harness as identified above and then using a soldering gun and none acid solider used for electrical items I soldered each connection. I then wrapped each connection with electrical tape and then used a piece of shrink wrap over the entire group of wires and applied heat using a heat gun or hair dryer on high to shrink the tubing around the wires leaving the end connector exposed. (I would not use a lighter or match to shrink the tube here as it is too close to the gas cap area).

The Zumo 550 has a stereo output for the audio so I used a right angle stereo plug and connected the left and right lead together and attached them to the audio positive lead on the bikes wiring harness as identified above. Using these wires the audio system will mute any other signal when an incoming signal is sensed. So when audio directions are given by the GPS all other audio source are muted.  This solution does not work well if you want to use the MP3 player built into the Zumo 550 as you would only get a mono signal and you would be muting all other signals. If you want to use the MP3 player in the Zumo it would be better to use the Vision stock aux port and connect it to the audio out connector of the Zumo using an extension cable. I prefer to use the iPod over the MP3 player in the Zumo and the Vision XM radio option over the XM radio option for the Zumo.

If you had another brand of GPS other than an Garmin the steps about should still work fine.

Spock
Posted 2008-06-17 7:06 PM (#11989 - in reply to #11974)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX

RotnRat - 2008-06-17 3:20 PM I have read through this thread as well as several others dealing with the various GPS's and mounting variables so forgive me if this information has been covered but I didn't find an answer that I was sure of. Do any of these GPS solutions provide an audio integration with the Vision that cuts the radio when voice commands from the GPS are being spoken or do you have to use the Aux channel of the audio system? I like the idea that they integrate through bluetooth with a cell phone but I don't have any intention of trying to wear A bluetooth headset or to purchase a helmet setup if I don't have to. Just seeing I have a call on my cellphone so I can get off the road is enough for me, but I would like to be able to listen to my radio and use turn by turn voice instructions from the GPS if possible.

See my other post above for some of your answers. You can pair your bluetooth cell phone with the Zumo 550 and it will notify you of an incoming call as well as who it is if you have the number in your phone contat list as the Zumo will sync that aspect of your phone too. You can also see missed calls, dialed calls and other stats on your phone like battery life. It is really cool.

Fergy
Posted 2008-06-17 7:55 PM (#11993 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
Ditto on the Zumo 550.
Hippo
Posted 2008-06-17 8:15 PM (#12000 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

Warren, Vermont
I'll be a bit of a contrarian - those that know me will be shocked -- and make the case that the Garmin 2820 is the better choice. I have used TomTom Rider, Zumo 550 and the 2820 and have chosen the 2820 for my Vision. Here's why:

1) It fits with the stock mount and wiring - interfaces with the Vision audio system flawlessly

2) Less expensive

3) I found the touch screen on the Zumo to be less responsive than the 2820 (you have to press harder)

4) 2820 has more Route option settings and generally more settings available than the Zumo

5) 2820 can categorise favourite waypoints into groups, whereas the Zumo only stores them as favourites

6) 2820 supports many more waypoints than Zumo (although Zumo has plenty for my use)

7) 2820 has a light sensor that automatically dims the display when you go into a tunnel, the Zumo does not

8) 2820 has a higher screen resolution than the Zumo

9) 2820 has volume settings according to speed of travel (i.e. low, medium, high) the Zumo does not

10) 2820 can load routes and track so that a track is also visible on the screen. With the Zumo you need to convert the track into a route before you can use it (meaning you might lose track information you wanted to keep)

11) 2820 has route choice 'Fastest time' or 'Shortest Distnce' as prompted, so you can choose it as you set up navigation per route. The Zumo has this only as a unit setting for all routes

12) 2820 has a QWERTY keyboard, the zumo uses ABCDE, which is not standard

13) 2820 can set specific roads to be avoided, the zumo cannot.

14) 2820 has additional compass features on screen that the Zumo doesn't

The 2820 also has Bluetooth, XM options, etc. none of which I find useful. I do not think it is a good idea to be answering your phone on your bike and I use and iPod. The Bluetooth might be helpful with a Bluetooth capable helmet but the interface with the Vision audio system is great.

All in all, I think that the Zumo is a nice unit for motorcycle use but the 2820 is better technology and also design for use on motorcycles.

Hippo
divesharc
Posted 2008-06-17 10:30 PM (#12006 - in reply to #11889)

Cruiser

VA
Spock, thanks for the reply. I bought a RAm Mount Aqua Box, which worked great for me, and now I think I can set up an audi connector so that the TomTom works with the audio. My idea is to take a standard 1'8" plug from the TomTom audi out, and wire it into the audio harness, which is appears I can do since it's just a positive and negative audio source. Thanks again, now it's time for me to actually do it.
ScoreBo
Posted 2008-09-22 12:29 AM (#18504 - in reply to #11889)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
I know this is an old thread, but I have been looking for a GPS for the bike for a while. I was looking at the 2820, then I discovered that on some of the Garmin GPS units, that you can get XM Weather. WOW! Does anyone have experience with the Zumo 550 with optional XM Weather or the Garmin GPSMAP 376c (<-- Marine ChartPlotter)?
desldog
Posted 2008-09-22 2:01 PM (#18552 - in reply to #11889)

Puddle Jumper

Hendersonville, TN
I purchased the Garmin 2820 (refurbished) for $365.00 and installed it over the weekend with the Victory mount and pigtail provided. The instructions were very good except when I turned the console over and the place where I'm suppose to drill the holes was not marked as stated in the instructions...no worries, I just made a pattern and drilled on...great installation and it works perfectly through the Victory sound system; what scared the crap out of me was when I was riding and I received a phone call...I've ordered the IPOD connector so I can use my new 16G Nano...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™