You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Utopia backrest
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

mkultra
Posted 2008-06-17 3:16 PM (#11969)
Subject: Utopia backrest

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
I am looking into the backrest and am concerned with the heating elements of the stock seat. I have been to Utopias website and have read "no worries" but has anyone actually put one on their Vision? If so how much fudge room do you have to miss the heating elements? By the way, love my bike just got back from a 485 mile day and other than the temps between Las Cruces and Tucson this Vision kicks the snot out of the 07 Ultra i traded for it.

mike v
Top of the page Bottom of the page
amessen
Posted 2008-06-17 3:33 PM (#11971 - in reply to #11969)
Subject: Re: Utopia backrest

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
Just installed the Utopia last week and it is great no problems with the seat follow the instructions and it goes in like a dream. I can not be without a back rest due to an old USAF disability and this one works so well it is scary. Archie
Spock
Posted 2008-06-17 6:07 PM (#11981 - in reply to #11971)

Tourer

Carrollton, TX
I installed one of the first Utopia backrests and I love it. The slot you cut in the seat for the backrest doesn't come close to any of the wiring in the seat. The installation is very straight forward and will only take about 20 minutes. You will love the backrest, it is the best option I have installed on my bike.
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-17 7:57 PM (#11994 - in reply to #11969)
Subject: RE: Utopia backrest

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
Ditto what Spock said. I did to some mods to mine, though. I turned the backrest upside down and trimmed some of the padding to fit. It was a bit too high on the back for me. Now, it's about perfect. IMO, it's a must buy.
mkultra
Posted 2008-06-17 8:04 PM (#11995 - in reply to #11969)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
Hey thanks much. I went ahead and ordered one but the wait time is well....i reckon gonna be worth it.

Mike V
ebayjoe
Posted 2008-06-17 9:49 PM (#12003 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

East Ohio
I have been interested in the backrest also, but how about the passenger, does it make them less comfortable and do they have any problems of it being in the way of them getting on or off, thanks

Super Steel
VisionTex
Posted 2008-06-17 10:16 PM (#12005 - in reply to #12003)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
When my wife rides, I take it off, it cramps her style. The getting on and off was also an issue. As you all know, the back seat is comfortable for our passengers, but it is not very deep front to back. My wife is very pleased with the seat, just not with my backrest in place. So, I have a push-pull pin on mine instead of the bolt that was supplied that attaches it to the seat bracket. I can take it put it on or take it off in a second, no tools.
Lifeisgood
Posted 2008-06-18 12:53 AM (#12011 - in reply to #12005)

Cruiser

Victoria, BC
VisionTex - 2008-06-17 7:16 PM

When my wife rides, I take it off, it cramps her style. The getting on and off was also an issue. As you all know, the back seat is comfortable for our passengers, but it is not very deep front to back. My wife is very pleased with the seat, just not with my backrest in place. So, I have a push-pull pin on mine instead of the bolt that was supplied that attaches it to the seat bracket. I can take it put it on or take it off in a second, no tools.

Great idea! I have the Utopia on my Burgman and absolutely love it. When we test rode the Vision last week we discovered that there wasn't as much room in the rear as the Burgman. I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to have Utopia on my Vision, but your solution will fix my problem. I ride solo 80% of the time, so it would be nice to easily add & remove the backrest as needed.

Awesome!

Reg
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-18 10:12 AM (#12024 - in reply to #12003)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

ebayjoe - 2008-06-17 8:49 PM I have been interested in the backrest also, but how about the passenger, does it make them less comfortable and do they have any problems of it being in the way of them getting on or off, thanks Super Steel

It all depends on the size of your wife-unit. Mine is 5'8" tall and a size 6 (whatever that means). She sits back there just fine with the backrest installed. No complaints.

amessen
Posted 2008-06-18 1:59 PM (#12033 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
My wife unit now offically hates your wife unit as mine is 5'1" and wears a size 12. I keep telling her she looks great to me but she has other ideas. Arch
ebayjoe
Posted 2008-06-18 2:19 PM (#12034 - in reply to #12033)

Cruiser

East Ohio
How does she like riding with your backrest
Super Steel
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-18 2:20 PM (#12035 - in reply to #12033)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

amessen - 2008-06-18 12:59 PM My wife unit now offically hates your wife unit as mine is 5'1" and wears a size 12. I keep telling her she looks great to me but she has other ideas. Arch

Sorry to hear that. My wife-unit is a very nice person. Here's a picture (please ignore the hardley):

Wife-unit, Susan, on a Hardley

mkultra
Posted 2008-06-18 2:42 PM (#12036 - in reply to #11969)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
Ummm, what Harley?

mike v
amessen
Posted 2008-06-18 3:02 PM (#12037 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

Belding Michigan
OK you win and I agree what Harley never the less my wife loves everyone so should not be a problem. As far as the backrest they offer two options

Viv hurt her back the day before I installed the backrest she is so crippled up that she has not been able to get on the bike. But I got the pullout model so it takes 2 sec and no screws bolts or pin removal to get the backrest off if it bothers her. I will just have to lean back against her and that is not all bad. Archie
golfer
Posted 2008-06-18 4:14 PM (#12038 - in reply to #11994)

Cruiser

Fergy - 2008-06-17 7:57 PM

Ditto what Spock said. I did to some mods to mine, though. I turned the backrest upside down and trimmed some of the padding to fit. It was a bit too high on the back for me. Now, it's about perfect. IMO, it's a must buy.

Can you elaborate on this a little? Mine hits me in the shoulder blades for crying out loud. These must have been made for NBA players. I would like to attempt what you have done...Thanks!
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-18 4:36 PM (#12039 - in reply to #12038)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

golfer - 2008-06-18 3:14 PM Can you elaborate on this a little? Mine hits me in the shoulder blades for crying out loud. These must have been made for NBA players. I would like to attempt what you have done...Thanks!

Damn! You must be a little guy. I had a similar problem. The backrest hit me too high on the back and didn't give me lower back support. I took off the backrest and investigated and saw that the support was at the top of the backrest with no support other than foam at the bottom. So, I removed the cover, turned the backrest upside down on the vertical support bar and put the cover back on. I also trimmed off about an inch of foam from the top (which was the bottom) and now it fits my lower back much better.

golfer
Posted 2008-06-19 9:30 AM (#12074 - in reply to #12039)

Cruiser

Fergy - 2008-06-18 4:36 PM

golfer - 2008-06-18 3:14 PM Can you elaborate on this a little? Mine hits me in the shoulder blades for crying out loud. These must have been made for NBA players. I would like to attempt what you have done...Thanks!

Damn! You must be a little guy. I had a similar problem. The backrest hit me too high on the back and didn't give me lower back support. I took off the backrest and investigated and saw that the support was at the top of the backrest with no support other than foam at the bottom. So, I removed the cover, turned the backrest upside down on the vertical support bar and put the cover back on. I also trimmed off about an inch of foam from the top (which was the bottom) and now it fits my lower back much better.

So if you cut out an inch of padding, did it make the cover look bad on the backrest?

Any possible way you could post up a pic?

Edited by golfer 2008-06-19 9:31 AM
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-19 10:17 AM (#12077 - in reply to #12074)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

golfer - 2008-06-19 8:30 AM  So if you cut out an inch of padding, did it make the cover look bad on the backrest? Any possible way you could post up a pic?

Not at all. You need to remove the backrest and take off the cover to see what I'm talking about. It's easy to do and should make the ride more comfortable. Even if  you messed it up somehow, it would be easy to buy more foam and fix it. It's a very simple device.

golfer
Posted 2008-06-19 12:21 PM (#12082 - in reply to #12077)

Cruiser

Fergy - 2008-06-19 10:17 AM

golfer - 2008-06-19 8:30 AM  So if you cut out an inch of padding, did it make the cover look bad on the backrest? Any possible way you could post up a pic?

Not at all. You need to remove the backrest and take off the cover to see what I'm talking about. It's easy to do and should make the ride more comfortable. Even if  you messed it up somehow, it would be easy to buy more foam and fix it. It's a very simple device.

I will definately look into this. Would be nice if the backrest was the same width, but about half as tall. The back of the seat of the Vision is already pretty good for upper booty support. The Utopia as is skips over the lumbar and goes straight to my back. The only way I can make full contact with it is to arch my back. If you happen to know of a place you just mioght have a pic of the backrest in it's modified state, let me know, thanks...
Fergy
Posted 2008-06-19 12:39 PM (#12083 - in reply to #12082)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

golfer - 2008-06-19 11:21 AM  I will definately look into this. Would be nice if the backrest was the same width, but about half as tall. The back of the seat of the Vision is already pretty good for upper booty support. The Utopia as is skips over the lumbar and goes straight to my back. The only way I can make full contact with it is to arch my back. If you happen to know of a place you just mioght have a pic of the backrest in it's modified state, let me know, thanks...

Same problem I had. By flipping it and removing the bottom foam, it effectively lowers the backrest to fit to your lower back. It's just too tall otherwise. Again, when you take it apart, you'll easily see what i'm talking about. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to take it apart and make the change and get the cover back on. The cover, by the way, has an adhesive holding it to the foam. I just pulled it off. I didn't need to put use adhesive when putting it back on because it holds and looks fine without it.

Rock Star
Posted 2008-06-21 10:23 AM (#12178 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

Park City, Utah
Great info, Fergy. I need lower back support but wanted a quick change unit. My back seat passengers all fit into the same gear. 5'2" size 1 or they probably aren't on my bike. On my Wing the back rest cramped the rear rider. Hoping for better here.

plus.... I didn't see any Harley. never appologize for that! and I'm moving to Texas... today.
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-06-21 10:51 AM (#12180 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
I spoke with Bob at Utopia a couple of days ago, explaining the situations some have written about in this post regarding needing to modify their Utopia backrest. At first, he thought it was a one time exception, but when I told him there were a number of posts about this, he got a lot more interested. I sent him the link to THIS thread, and he called me back within minutes.

I should also add that I placed an order for a Utopia backrest, and mine was due to ship within days when I called him. I was actually hoping to get Utopia to perform similar changes on MY backrest before they shipped it, negating the need for after purchase modifications. Well, they did one better. He asked me if I would be willing to "experiment" a little. They are going to send me my originally ordered backrest, but in addition, will send another backrest, with a different sized "pan", but identical outside dimensions as the one I ordered, to see if it provides better lower back support. Once I determine which backrest I like best, I'll send back the other one to them.

I should be receiving the shipment next week, so once I perform surgery on my seat to permit installation of the Utopia products, I'll be sure to respond back to this thread with my findings. These folks seem VERY interested in providing the best product possible, and place a high priority on customer satisfaction. With just speaking with them the other day, I'm sure I can give an enthusiastic thumbs up to their product!!
Rock Star
Posted 2008-06-21 1:41 PM (#12183 - in reply to #12180)

Cruiser

Park City, Utah
space_cwboy - 2008-06-21 8:51 AM

I spoke with Bob at Utopia a couple of days ago, explaining the situations some have written about in this post regarding needing to modify their Utopia backrest. At first, he thought it was a one time exception, but when I told him there were a number of posts about this, he got a lot more interested. I sent him the link to THIS thread, and he called me back within minutes.

I should also add that I placed an order for a Utopia backrest, and mine was due to ship within days when I called him. I was actually hoping to get Utopia to perform similar changes on MY backrest before they shipped it, negating the need for after purchase modifications. Well, they did one better. He asked me if I would be willing to "experiment" a little. They are going to send me my originally ordered backrest, but in addition, will send another backrest, with a different sized "pan", but identical outside dimensions as the one I ordered, to see if it provides better lower back support. Once I determine which backrest I like best, I'll send back the other one to them.

I should be receiving the shipment next week, so once I perform surgery on my seat to permit installation of the Utopia products, I'll be sure to respond back to this thread with my findings. These folks seem VERY interested in providing the best product possible, and place a high priority on customer satisfaction. With just speaking with them the other day, I'm sure I can give an enthusiastic thumbs up to their product!!

wow! to both the power of the web AND to Utopia for listening. That is the kind of company I want to do busines with. Bravo. I'll stay tuned to this thread to see the outcome. thank you.
dmoravits
Posted 2008-06-21 2:13 PM (#12185 - in reply to #11969)

New user

100% agree with what Rock Star had to say. This really is the kind of company I want to business with. I, too, am looking forward to the results that come from this.
ebayjoe
Posted 2008-06-23 10:51 PM (#12287 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

East Ohio
Mine is scheduled to ship July 21st, Bob was great with emails, even got one Sat evening about getting the "quick out " model, please keep us informed about any changes that would benefit us all, they seem willing so we might as well take advantage of it
Super Steel
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™