You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Utopia backrest
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

flint350
Posted 2008-06-23 11:12 PM (#12289 - in reply to #11969)
Subject: Re: Utopia backrest

Cruiser

Baltimore, Md
I just ordered yesterday and got the same July 21 date and a quick response email as well. Looking forward to the backrest and hoping not to have to modify it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
golfer
Posted 2008-06-24 10:15 AM (#12304 - in reply to #11969)
Subject: RE: Utopia backrest

Cruiser

I will wait to modify my pad until I hear what comes of this new development. Man that would be cool if I can just get a different pad back there instead of cutting the existing one all up...Another minor problem I am having is my girlfriend being back there. She is 5' 7" and about 130 lbs. Not a big girl by any means. But I have to keep the backrest pretty far forward or it hits her legs somewhat.

If the pad was shorter, I could move the pad even further forward and eliminate the contact with her legs. I have about another inch I could move the pad forward if it was not hitting me in the shoulder blades, but rather, hitting me in the lumbar area. That is to say, right now there is no contact whatsoever with my lower back.

Thanks Utopia for looking into this, and looking forward to a solution!!!
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-02 10:43 AM (#12737 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
Received my Utopia backrest(s) last week while on vacation....got home Friday night, installed on Saturday morning. I had communicated with Bob at Utopia before they shipped my pads. I had shared with them the issues others have raised here, and as a result, he sent me both my "original" Vision backrest, as well as an "optional" backrest which has the full sized pan. The "original" backrest's pan does not cover the entire top to bottom portion of the backrest (pan goes to the top, but only 3/4 of the way down towards the bottom), and he had a theory that this was the issue others have raised regarding limited lower back support.

Keep in mind that my back is not the typical rider's back. I've had two major back surgeries in the past year, the last one fusing the L3-S1 range. I'm now about 6 months out from that surgery, but that did not stop me from test riding and buying the new Vision when I was less than 3 months out from the latest back surgery.

I first installed the mount on the seat. I was a bit nervous about this part, as taking a "long serrated knife" to my comfy seat was a bit unnerving. The instructions provided by Utopia were VERY clear, and in the end, the procedure was a lot easier than I had imagined. Once the mount was installed on the seat, I first added the "original" backrest, made some adjustments to the screw that limits how far back the backrest will go, then took off for a short (25 mile) ride. I then understood better what others had written here about lack of lower back support, as well as the backrest sitting a bit higher than expected. Don't get me wrong, the "original" backrest was a GREAT improvement over the stock seat setup. It is like the difference between sitting on a backless bar stool and sitting in a chair with a back that you can relax in/on. Especially for my "sensitive" back, this was a great improvement.

I really do not think that it is a Utopia issue about how high the backrest sits. I personally think that because of the already deeply scooped rider's seat, this limits how far down a backrest can be configured. Sure, a "height impaired" backrest could be tried, but it will not help the lower back support issue.....it would only limit how far up any support would be provided on one's back. Again, my personal opinion is "the more the better". Think about sitting in a chair with a back, where the back only reaches maybe your mid-back, and compare that feeling to your favorite "Barcalounger" whose back comes up to almost shoulder level. To me, I'll pick the Barcalounger every time.

After this short ride, I returned home, removed the "original" backrest, and then installed the "optional" backrest. On the outside, BOTH backrests appear identical....same width, height, thickness. The difference is in the internal pan. In order to minimize adjustment fiddling, and provide as close of an "apples-to-apples" comparison as possible, I removed the backrest from the top of the stem so I could preserve the settings I had made for the "original" backrest test (the adjustments for backrest forward/back position are made with a screw at the bottom of the stem). Once the "optional" backrest was installed, off again on another short test ride.

Right away, I could feel extra support in the upper portion of my lower back. The REAL lower back area is covered by the scoop in the rider's seat, and no backrest around will provide additional support for that area. I quickly realized that I had not sufficiently tightened the upper bolt on the stem that holds the backrest, as it would too easily pivot top to bottom instead of providing a minimal amount of resistance. I tightened the bolt about an additional 1/8 turn so that the backrest would stay in position on the stem when I let go of it, instead of flopping down to the lowest angle. This made an additional improvement that was felt immediately on the upper portion of my lower back.

Over the course of the remainder of that day, I continued to "fiddle" with the backrest adjustment, moving it forward/back to try new angles, to see exactly what position was just right for my decrepit back. By the end of that day, I was only making 1/4 turn adjustments on the forward/back adjustment screw. The following day my wife and I took a 335 mile ride to the top of Independence Pass (12000+ ft elevation) and back home. I left the "optional" backrest on the bike, and that is the one I am keeping. The "original" backrest is being shipped back to Utopia.

Now for the sticky part. I've communicated with Bob since this trying out both backrests, and asked him for a specific terminology on how others can order the "optional" backrest. He is concerned that offering multiple backrests will open a "can of worms", and if multiple options were listed on their website, it may cause more confusion than it would help. He had a point that not ALL Vision owners read this forum (only the uninformed ones fit into that category), so they might not understand the differences between the different backrests. He had no final conclusion for me to pass on to all of you.

Here is my recommendation.......Even the "original" backrest is a huge improvement over not having a backrest at all. I've had Corbin seats in the past on my Harley, and the Utopia backrest provides a much better solution than the Corbin backrests. Because of the design of the stock Vision rider's seat with its large scoop, NO backrest will support the lower lumbar region of one's back, regardless of the rider's height. IF you do NOT have constant, daily lower back pain, whether on your Vision or not, the "original" backrest will most likely be your best fit. IF however, you have either had previous lower back injuries, or have only lower back pain when riding, then I would suggest you e-mail or call Utopia prior to placing an order, and work with them to see if they will provide you with the "optional" backrest with the full sized pan. I believe Bob told me that this was the same pan they use for making passenger backrests, and the pan covers the ENTIRE area from top to bottom, left to right, inside the backrest.

For those of you that already have the Utopia backrest, and would like additional support, first try tightening the bolt/nut at the top of the stem to provide more resistance for the backrest from pivoting up/down on the bolt that holds it to the stem. Performing that simple step gave me a greater feeling of support on the upper portion of my lower back. I would recommend you try that prior to disassembling your seat, cutting foam out, and flipping over the backrest that others in this thread have performed and suggested.

I am REALLY happy with the great customer support I've received from Utopia. Bob has been very responsive, honest in his e-mails, and I whole heartedly recommend that any of you that ride for more than 100-200 miles in a day to give great consideration to purchasing a Utopia backrest. They are high quality, the covering matches the covering on the Vision seat quite well, and on my one "long" day of riding, my back thanked me over and over.

The Utopia backrest will undergo the ultimate test starting Aug 1, as we have a 17 day vacation planned, riding our Vision two up from the Denver, CO area to Washington state (taking in all the National Parks), Vancouver Island, BC, Alberta, back through Glacier NP and Beartooth Hwy in Montana, then back home. The first two full days are a blast from Denver to Washington, planning to cover 600-700 miles on each of the first two days. This will tell us just how comfortable the Vision really is. I'm hoping the weather Gods are with us, keeping the rain and high winds away from our route.

Sorry for the long winded post, but in case any of you have further questions about the Utopia backrest, feel free to PM me. I'm out of town on business travel July 7-11 and July 21-25, so during those weeks I'll only have limited connectivity to see your posts or PMs, but I'll do my best......No, I'm in no way affiliated with Utopia, just an enthused customer of theirs that appreciates a quality product, excellent customer service, and want to pass on the info to fellow Vision Riders so they can make the best decisions for accessories for their Visions.

RIDE SAFE AND ENJOY!!!!
Gerica
Posted 2008-07-02 4:10 PM (#12756 - in reply to #12737)

Cruiser

Vancouver Island, BC,

How far up island are you coming? I live in Courtenay and wouldn't mind meeting up with a fellow forum member. Actually, I start my holidays 1 Aug for 2 wks and the wife and I are planning a ride to the interior of BC.....There a couple of Victory dealers that I would like to visit on the mainland.

Anyway, if you are in the neighborhood, give me a shout.

Take Care

Gerry

space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-02 4:22 PM (#12757 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
Gerry -

After taking the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, we'll spend the 1st night in Malahat (8/8), then over to Tofino for night #2 (8/9), then back to Nanaimo to catch the ferry to Vancouver, BC (8/10). We'll be in Whistler on 8/11, then down near the Canada/US border around Rock Creek on 8/12, before crossing back into the US, going to Glacier NP on 8/13. Do any of those dates line up with your plans? I'll have VERY limited internet access while on the trip. The "pod" is huge, but the laptop will be staying at home!
TimS
Posted 2008-07-02 4:37 PM (#12759 - in reply to #12289)

Iron Butt

Got the same July 21st ship date.  Got the quick out option if riding 2 up is a bit cramped.

Tim 

Gerica
Posted 2008-07-02 6:30 PM (#12761 - in reply to #12757)

Cruiser

space_cwboy - 2008-07-03 1:22 PM Gerry - After taking the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, we'll spend the 1st night in Malahat (8/8), then over to Tofino for night #2 (8/9), then back to Nanaimo to catch the ferry to Vancouver, BC (8/10). We'll be in Whistler on 8/11, then down near the Canada/US border around Rock Creek on 8/12, before crossing back into the US, going to Glacier NP on 8/13. Do any of those dates line up with your plans? I'll have VERY limited internet access while on the trip. The "pod" is huge, but the laptop will be staying at home!

Space Cwboy

Just a question, you mentioned that you are staying in Malahat? Have you booked anything there yet? I ask because the Malahat as I know it is just a section of hwy through the mountains.....But I have to admit that I am not an expert on that area.

In anycase, I do have your schedule and will get back to you before you leave. Your departure date is 1 Aug 08? It may be just a case of a quick "Hi" over a coffee.

Gerry

kellyd
Posted 2008-07-02 6:34 PM (#12762 - in reply to #11969)

Puddle Jumper

Centerville , Utah
I installed mine two days ago and love it. Im 6'4" and the added support is well needed. I'm with you guys, They could narrow it a bit. My wife fits on it fine, 5'7" 130lbs.

KD
space_cwboy
Posted 2008-07-02 7:20 PM (#12766 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

Evergreen, CO
Gerry -

We're staying at a place called "Malahat Bungalows", and yes, we do have it booked. We are leaving the evening of 7/31, but only travelling from Denver to Steamboat Springs that evening. I hope our schedules line up so we can at least get together and share some Vision stories!!
Gerica
Posted 2008-07-03 4:57 AM (#12792 - in reply to #12766)

Cruiser

space_cwboy - 2008-07-03 4:20 PM Gerry - We're staying at a place called "Malahat Bungalows", and yes, we do have it booked. We are leaving the evening of 7/31, but only travelling from Denver to Steamboat Springs that evening. I hope our schedules line up so we can at least get together and share some Vision stories!!

Great, just wanted to make sure. As I mentioned I am not an expert on that area, however, the Malahat is just the name of the mountain that the hwy runs through and I have never noticed many places to stay, mind you I have not made many trip through there.

pastor
Posted 2008-07-03 11:56 AM (#12805 - in reply to #11969)

Puddle Jumper

Tonopah,NV
I agree with the other responders. Easy to install ( except for lining up the holes) look good and works great. You can't tell it didn't come installed from the factory.
golfer
Posted 2008-07-16 10:52 AM (#13649 - in reply to #11994)

Cruiser

Fergy - 2008-06-17 7:57 PM

Ditto what Spock said. I did to some mods to mine, though. I turned the backrest upside down and trimmed some of the padding to fit. It was a bit too high on the back for me. Now, it's about perfect. IMO, it's a must buy.

Thank you Fergy!!!!

I took my pad off last night to send it to Utopia to exchange for the new design. I figure I might as well try the mod you did. It took about 4 minutes, and I am happy now. What a difference flipping the pad makes!!!! I also lowered the pad about 3/8". I didn't realize there was more room for lowering than was sent from the factory. Now, my pad does not flop over and hit me in the back anymore either...I have moved the pad forward much more than before, since it now can fit into my lower back instead of hitting me in the shoulder blades. What a difference!!!

Thanks again for the tip.

Oh, by the way, the girlfriend has a little more room as well since I can move the pad up further.

Edited by golfer 2008-07-16 10:54 AM
Magic
Posted 2008-07-16 11:54 AM (#13652 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

San Antonio, Texas
Hye, Fergie,

How 'bout some pics?
Lifeisgood
Posted 2008-07-16 12:07 PM (#13653 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

Victoria, BC
Gerica, there's actually several places to stay at on the Malahat - from inexpensive to very expensive. Hopefully this nice weather hold out for the rest of the Summer.
Gerica
Posted 2008-07-16 4:41 PM (#13667 - in reply to #13653)

Cruiser

Lifeisgood - 2008-07-17 9:07 AM Gerica, there's actually several places to stay at on the Malahat - from inexpensive to very expensive. Hopefully this nice weather hold out for the rest of the Summer.

Hey Reg

That doesn't surprise me, like I mentioned I don't really travel that far down island very often. My wife is more the island hopper. However, with the new bike I am sure that we both will get to know every hill and pothole....Ha Ha!

TimS
Posted 2008-07-17 2:31 AM (#13708 - in reply to #13652)

Iron Butt

Hey, Fergie,

How 'bout some pics?

Preferably with the Wife Unit on the bike !!!

Edited by TimS 2008-07-17 2:32 AM
Fergy
Posted 2008-07-17 12:26 PM (#13730 - in reply to #13708)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
No pics of just the backrest. Not sure you'd see any difference anyway. Simple to do, though. Give it a try.
TimS
Posted 2008-07-17 12:34 PM (#13732 - in reply to #13730)

Iron Butt

Fergy,

Put the wifie-unit on the bike and let us be the judge of the backrest deltas !!!

Cheers,

Tim 

Fergy
Posted 2008-07-17 12:43 PM (#13733 - in reply to #13732)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
TimS - 2008-07-17 11:34 AM

Fergy,

Put the wifie-unit on the bike and let us be the judge of the backrest deltas !!!

Cheers,

Tim 

I don't know where she is. She's out selling houses to keep me living the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed. So, I took a picture of me in the bitch seat. How's that?

TimS
Posted 2008-07-17 12:56 PM (#13734 - in reply to #13733)

Iron Butt

Damn, that defeats the purpose !!!

So you have to teach us how to become kept men !!!

What is that lip at the front of the seat, or is that a backrest of another bike in the background ?

Tim

Edited by TimS 2008-07-17 1:00 PM
Fergy
Posted 2008-07-17 1:17 PM (#13735 - in reply to #13734)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX
TimS - 2008-07-17 11:56 AM

Damn, that defeats the purpose !!!

So you have to teach us how to become kept men !!!

It is very difficult to achieve but I'll try to give you the 3 most important things required for success. First, you must be highly intelligent so that you can make the calculations necessary to put yourself in the right place at the right time. Second, you must be very good looking which you can see that I am. Lastly, you must know how to satisfy a woman. The last part is proven by my happy marraige of 8 years. So, as you can see, it's not a simple thing to do but if you have the skills, you to too can be as happy as I am.

What is that lip at the front of the seat, or is that a backrest of another bike in the background ?

That's the top of the backrest of my Vulcan 2000. The bike is now a completely useless piece of junk taking up garage space until I figure out where to dump it or until I find some idiot that will take it. I've been leaving it out by my trash cans on trash day but as of today even the trash guys don't want it. Where do you get rid of 800 lbs. of useless metal?

Magic
Posted 2008-07-17 2:12 PM (#13737 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

San Antonio, Texas
800 pounds of useless metal---you didn't used to talk that way. Did something happen to the bike, or is it just the addition of the Vision that has colored your way of thinking? I always loved your paint job on the Vulcan--truly one of a kind.
Fergy
Posted 2008-07-17 2:27 PM (#13738 - in reply to #13737)

Cruiser

Frisco, TX

Magic - 2008-07-17 1:12 PM 800 pounds of useless metal---you didn't used to talk that way. Did something happen to the bike, or is it just the addition of the Vision that has colored your way of thinking? I always loved your paint job on the Vulcan--truly one of a kind.

Man. I just had a really long response written and when I tried to submit it the site went to an error page. What a pain.

In a nutshell, the Rogue is a great bike and mine has a nice paint job and a newly rebuilt engine. However, the Vision is so superior in every way that I know that if I ever slip a leg over the Rogue that I'll wish I'd picked the Vision instead. So, there's no reason to keep it. I figure that because the bike is in great shape and because it has a newly rebuilt engine that I'll get a fair offer for it and then let her go to someone else's home.

ebayjoe
Posted 2008-07-22 12:16 PM (#14058 - in reply to #11969)

Cruiser

East Ohio
received my backrest on the 21st as promised, got the full pan and quick out option due to being a little nervous about riding 2 up and crowding the passenger, installation was pretty straight forward, a little trouble getting it lined up right for the 2 bolts that hold it in, really like the set up, very sturdy, and no problem with the passenger, she says it does not crowd her and actually makes her feel a bit more secure, so 2 thumbs up, I guess thats 4 thumbs up. Good job bob at Utopia

Super Steel
TimS
Posted 2008-07-22 12:26 PM (#14061 - in reply to #14058)

Iron Butt

Mine must still be on the UPS truck heading west.  Glad to hear the good report.

Tim 

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™