You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Trailer Hitch?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

jomar
Posted 2012-06-28 2:20 PM (#117898)
Subject: Trailer Hitch?

Cruiser

Who makes a trailer hitch for a Vision? And, other than "Victory/Polaris", who makes accessories?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Travelin Man
Posted 2012-06-28 2:56 PM (#117902 - in reply to #117898)
Subject: Re: Trailer Hitch?

Iron Butt

There is Bushtec which most Goldwingers know of quite well, and Hitch Doc. I personally have the Bushtec hitch which I believe has more contact points to subframe and is lighter than the Hitch Doc hitch which primarily mounts to the underside of the trunk mounting plate and extends down on either side of the rear tire. I've towed a Bushtec Turbo II cargo trailer with no problems as well as a fully loaded Bunkhouse camper (around 500# total).
boatsrfun
Posted 2012-06-28 4:12 PM (#117912 - in reply to #117898)

Cruiser

I Installed one from the hitchdoc and had no problems. I put it on myself after a couple of hours.

http://www.hitchdoc.com

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10892&po...

Edited by boatsrfun 2012-06-28 4:12 PM

(IMG_0019.jpg)

(IMG_0018.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0019.jpg (97KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0018.jpg (98KB - 3 downloads)
jomar
Posted 2012-06-28 7:55 PM (#117938 - in reply to #117898)
Subject: RE: Trailer Hitch?

Cruiser

Thanks for the help on the Bushtec and Hitchdoc. I'm glad to know there are some options, as we have a trailer and can't seem to leave the driveway without it. I'm kidding but just barely.
witchbiker
Posted 2012-06-28 9:33 PM (#117945 - in reply to #117898)

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States

Hitch doc best way to go. I have one, pulling an "Americas Best" 4' aluminum trailer. Just returned from 3066 mile trip to the South. Trailer pulled great, but am very dissappointed in the tires that came with it. Absolutely NO tread left on either tire. Both wore the same, and trailer only had 150 lbs in it.

witchbiker

jb.hatch
Posted 2012-06-28 9:43 PM (#117947 - in reply to #117898)

Cruiser

Phenix City AL.
Hitch doc, is the oneI have, pull a kompac kamper with no problems. I just finished with my hitch rack, that mounts to the vision, for those times when you have too much stuff for the vision, and not enough for the trailer. What kind of stuff are you looking for ? Their are a lot of vendors making different stuff.
okie vision
Posted 2012-06-29 9:23 AM (#117975 - in reply to #117898)

Iron Butt

Broken Arrow, OK
As for accessories? Besides HD, there's not many that can match stuff for the Wing.
Vision goodies, OEM ones, are expensive.
Clicking "links" at the top and then vendors, you'll find folks making things for our bikes.
jomar
Posted 2012-10-30 10:10 AM (#125927 - in reply to #117947)

Cruiser

I ended up installing the HitchDoc (and became a dealer for their hitches) I was able to install without removing the rear wheel. I have pulled our trailer about 2500 miles so far without any problems from the hitch and the Vision doesn't even know the trailer is there, unless I load it tail heavy instead of slightly nose heavy. I don't use the swivel type hitch, I've seen several over the years that had allowed the trailer to end up on their sides from a bump on one side. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

(vision1-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments vision1-1.jpg (34KB - 5 downloads)
Lojak
Posted 2012-10-30 1:14 PM (#125936 - in reply to #117898)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
Hitch Doc...Just did a 12,000 mile trip this summmer with trailer...(Flawless)
Nice thing about this type of trailer, it has a spring loaded stand under it.
At the hotel , unhitch ,roll it in room and take off to visit the local place without towing the trailer..(Priceless)

Edited by Lojak 2012-10-30 1:28 PM
jomar
Posted 2012-10-30 1:57 PM (#125940 - in reply to #125936)

Cruiser

Nice looking trailer and Bike.
jomar
Posted 2012-10-30 1:59 PM (#125941 - in reply to #125936)

Cruiser

What type of tongue weight do you typically have? It seems like it would be heavy on the tongue, but I'm only guessing.
Lojak
Posted 2012-10-30 2:41 PM (#125944 - in reply to #117898)

Cruiser

New Brunswick , Canada
Tongue weight is what ever you can spare on the bike rear shock..My bike rear shock was set to almost Max with Me (225lbs) wife (??? i'll die if i put it here) and trailer fully loaded with a small bag on the rack..
Did the Four Coners Tour Ride and ran buy the canadian rockies..First Victory Bike to complet this tour..round trip 11,955 miles. The only time that i could feel the trailer is when i'll pickup the bike from the stand and when i pull into a stop. Other then that i had to check to see if it was still hookup behind me even in the twisties..lol
Travelin Man
Posted 2012-10-30 3:26 PM (#125947 - in reply to #125941)

Iron Butt

jomar - 2012-10-30 1:59 PM What type of tongue weight do you typically have? It seems like it would be heavy on the tongue, but I'm only guessing.

For most normal trailers, both those towed by a car and by motorcycles, you want 10 to 15 percent of total trailer weight on the tongue in order to reduce sway.  If your hitch and towing vehicle can stand to have more then that only helps even more with sway, the absolutely worst thing you can do is to run too little or even negative tongue weight for towing a trailer.

I have a Bushtec hitch and tow an old '95 Bushtec Turbo II that I purchased used for $1,500 during the winter of 2008 before I got my Vision (I will never pay the prices that Bushtec or some of the other trailer companies charge for their new trailers which they sell for upwards of $5,000!!!).  I like the Bushtec hitch, while more expensive than the Hitch Doc, because it includes a complete trailer isolator wiring kit so that if you have wiring problems on the trailer it will never affect the bike.

johnnyvision
Posted 2012-10-30 5:23 PM (#125954 - in reply to #117898)

Visionary

So do you use read chains?
I hear Texas has a law chains must be X for safety
Travelin Man
Posted 2012-10-31 5:52 AM (#125982 - in reply to #125954)

Iron Butt

johnnyvision - 2012-10-30 5:23 PM So do you use read chains? I hear Texas has a law chains must be X for safety

My Bushtec trailer has only one chain which I do use, well, sort of.  The "sort of" part is that I replaced one link of the chain with a pre-cut weak link as the last thing I want is for the trailer to take me down if it comes loose which with the hiem joint style of hitch connection that Bushtec uses is next to impossible.  I converted my Bunk House camping trailer to the same hitch style as the Bushtec because it is such a worry free design even though there is a little maintenance involved with greasing the heim ball in the joint before each trip which takes a whole 2 minutes.

Travelin Man
Posted 2012-10-31 5:59 AM (#125983 - in reply to #117898)

Iron Butt

BTW, the idea of crossing chains is a great idea for cars and trucks used as tow vehicles, properly setup safety chains should keep the tongue of the trailer off of the ground even at a full stop and the idea of crossing the chains is to create a "basket" for the tongue to rest in until you do come to a stop. I've only had a trailer come disconnected one time on me and the chains saved both the trailer and my truck from ANY damage, the reason for the disconnection was my failure to properly adjust the locking lug that gets pulled up when you latch a typical hitch connection. Safety chains are a great idea in general for towing with any four wheeled vehicle, no so good though when towing with a motorcycle.
victoryvisiontour
Posted 2012-10-31 11:48 AM (#126006 - in reply to #117898)

Iron Butt

Anderson, IN (48mi NE of downtown Indianapolis)
I use the HitchDoc. The Bushtec is probably just as good, but I chose HitchDoc for ease of installation. I did not have a lift at the time. I only had to remove the seat to get to the trunk bolt holes through the rubber flap on the frame. I learned this trick on this forum.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™